Options

The next big thing for Rock music........

2»

Comments

• Options
    outsanding rock/punk sound. they should rule the music charts. the won't but that would be awesome. this is their new song. i can't stop listening to it.

http://www.punknews.org/article.php?sid=16695&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

and if you want to see one of the best live shows on the planet. go see the bronx.
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Klumpie wrote:
    I think their will be some retro bands. New bands that sounds like The Who, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, The Doors etc.

There have been people tryin to do that for 30 years. What makes you think they are gonna hit the big time all of the sudden.
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    There is some great music being made out there, but overall, we're in trouble for a while. Right now the music industry is all about the $$$. Every band out there is playing the money game right now. Even indie/college bands aren't against putting their music in a car commercial anymore.

All I hope for is authenticity. People who are making music (whatever it sounds like) for music's sake. I'm pretty sure Nirvana had no idea that Smells like Teen Spirit would change music forever, and smash Michael Jackson from the top of the charts. They never made that record with any intention of it being "huge"...they just made a loud rock record that they wanted to make. I think too many young bands now seem to want to be "rock stars" first, and worry about the music second.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,770
    Echoes wrote:
    hopefully the next 'big' thing for rock music is all the current rock stations dying off and maybe some interesting ones coming about.
    and hopefully its not sattelite radio...it has zero local appeal...you hear nothing about bands in your area, nothing about upcoming shows and events...sattelite radio doesnt serve a community. the only thing that the radio stations have to do to have success is to loosen up what goes on a play list. People will put up with commercials if they're brief and local and pertain to something they're interested in and are not ultra flashy. People will put up with songs they dont like as long as its fresh music they've never heard before. But radio doesn't understand this because they are desperate to keep advertisers happy instead of keeping the audience happy.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    The Doves
    Arcade Fire
    Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
    Placebo
    Arctic Monkeys
    Kaiser Chiefs
    Kinky
    Futureheads
    Lou Reed
    Ray Davies
    Paul Westerberg
    Leonard Cohen

not all new / not all old

just good stuff!
  • Options
    lephtylephty Posts: 770
    i think there should be more Xylophones in rock!

that is all
  • Options
    pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    pjfan020 wrote:
    To me, music today is quite terrible. As I see it, there are three five genres. Indie, Emo, Rap, Pop, and Metal. In my eyes there's no rock n' roll. Bands today, especially indie ones, don't tend to write riffs. Vocals are another problem in my eyes. It's either screaming, rapping, or whining. Not too many good vocalists around. I'd be happy with a resurgence of classic rock style music. As long as bands emulate, not immitate, bands like zeppelin and sabbath then things would be alright. I would kill to start a rock and roll band right now, but everyone I know wants to play metal. It seems that guitarists forgot how to solo and write catchy and interesting riffs. I really want someone to save music.

I can't entirely agree with that. There's those main ideas but Rock n' Roll still exists. It's for the most part not on the radio and you have to find it. There's bands out there(and new ones) that have infectious riffs, amazing guitar solos, strong vocalists, and the like that don't scream, rap, or whine.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    Lets square one thing away if possible. If you are in a band or hope to be in a band that has professional aspirations, you want to be paid. If a car company wants to give you 100 grand for your song, and you don't take it, you're a fool. What else will someone...anyone...pay you 100 grand for 90 seconds of in your life?

Think about it. Artistic merit is great. Cred is great...but neither will buy your house for you. Only money does that. :)
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    enharmonic wrote:
    Lets square one thing away if possible. If you are in a band or hope to be in a band that has professional aspirations, you want to be paid. If a car company wants to give you 100 grand for your song, and you don't take it, you're a fool. What else will someone...anyone...pay you 100 grand for 90 seconds of in your life?

Think about it. Artistic merit is great. Cred is great...but neither will buy your house for you. Only money does that. :)

The best plan is to slowly build up some cred, then once your income dries up, then go for the TV advert dough!
  • Options
    JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    Hopefully actual metal will be the next thing in rock. Some of the most talented individuals in the world are overlooked because they are in a metal band.
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    The best plan is to slowly build up some cred, then once your income dries up, then go for the TV advert dough!

IMO, the best plan is to make the best music you possibly can, and get as paid as you can in the process. People's opinions and values change over time. I'll tell you this...if I were making the best music I possibly could, and some beer company wanted t give me $150k to use the tune in their marketing campaign, I wouldn't be thinking about some kid in Minnesota who might think I just lost my cred for getting paid $150,000 for 90 seconds or less of my talents. Nice work if you can get it...that's what I say :)
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,770
    enharmonic wrote:
    IMO, the best plan is to make the best music you possibly can, and get as paid as you can in the process. People's opinions and values change over time. I'll tell you this...if I were making the best music I possibly could, and some beer company wanted t give me $150k to use the tune in their marketing campaign, I wouldn't be thinking about some kid in Minnesota who might think I just lost my cred for getting paid $150,000 for 90 seconds or less of my talents. Nice work if you can get it...that's what I say :)

especially if you like and are for the product you're music is in
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    Big houses and new cars and other materialistic things of this world aren't everything. Personally, I'd rather do something I enjoy and be happy with it then I don't need those shiny status objects that in the end mean nothing.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    chris3chris3 Posts: 43
    If you want some ROCK N ROLL check out ROSE HILL DRIVE!!!

rosehilldrive.com

They are a pure fucking r'n'r band that'll kick you in the balls. The only band I've seen cover zeppelin and not sound like idiots. If you are tired of pussies who cannot play any instruments,who whine too damn much and look like asian chicks then this band is for you!

PS- I love asian chicks by the way! Just not skinny GUYS who try to look like them.
  • Options
    I'm_One wrote:
    If you want some ROCK N ROLL check out ROSE HILL DRIVE!!!

rosehilldrive.com

They are a pure fucking r'n'r band that'll kick you in the balls. The only band I've seen cover zeppelin and not sound like idiots. If you are tired of pussies who cannot play any instruments,who whine too damn much and look like asian chicks then this band is for you!

PS- I love asian chicks by the way! Just not skinny GUYS who try to look like them.

Nice. I've enjoyed their stuff on Myspace. Love that guitarist.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    Ltrain76Ltrain76 Posts: 26
    There are so many great bands out there. I love Pearl jam with a passion but they don't rock out or nearly as hard as some people think they do. There are tons of bands with the drive and passion for one thing like PJ: the music. You may or may have not heard of these bands so i apologise if I insult anyones intelligence. Try some of these awesome bands.

1. The Atomic bitchwax - get their first 2 albums. like a hendrix jam session!
    2. Nebula - awesome hendrix like 3 piece. it grooves and jams. buy "dos ep's" and "to the center"
    3. Calla - arty rock band - good indie band that is not trendy. mellow......
    4. Built To Spill - excellent band. Mike mcCReady approved. Every album is a classic - start off with he official "live album", "theres nothing wrong with love", "perfect from now on". New lbum 04/11/06!
    5. Sleep - buy the album "Sleeps holy mountain". This is the best album Sabbath never made. unreal album
    6. electric Wizard - a little on the heavy and spacey side but they rule - buy "come my fanatics" and "dopethrone".
    7. orange goblin - old shool 70's rock with a hint o' metal. buy "frequencies from planet ten" and "time travelling blues"
    8. Fu Manchu - buy anything up the their last real great album The action is go. "try the action is go" and "in search of"
    9. Subarachnoid Space - they are the definitive space prog jam band. lots of darkness and evil. kind of like "careful with that axe eugene" era pink floyd. 95% instrumental. awesome stuff. I have all their albums but you can start with their latest great album "the red veil"
    10. Clutch - will take time to get used to but they shred anyone live. see them if you can!! they never stop touring.

** If you really need to go nuts just grab some cannibal corpse, deicide, slayer, hatebreed, suicidal tendencies, opeth etc.

For bands that flat out rock - check out http://www.stonerrock.com

Later!
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    I agree with Built To Spill so much

Perfect From Now on is one of the best 90's albums out there, no question
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");