Options

The next big thing for Rock music........

pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
edited April 2006 in Other Music
Anybody have any idea whats next for rock music? It seems like rock has gone through different periods through they years with different types of music being popular psychedelic, new wave, grunge, britpop, etc. So far this decade seems to be the worst for music with emo and indie being whats popular right now, anybody got any predictions for the future of music? Any up and coming bands that you think will be big (not more indie bands with nothing mega about them). Do you think rock music has taken a turn for the worse and is gonna be completely dead? It seems as if pop and rap have completely taken over rock music. Although I hate all new rap and pop, it seems like there are very very few rock bands coming out that are quality. Even the quality ones are nothing as big as those during the 90's like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Oasis, STP, etc. Has the corporate world destroyed rock and roll? I would be curious to hear what people think.
Alpine Valley 2000
Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    some one will come along and stick it too the man!
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    disco re-takes the world.
  • Options
    millions committ sucide in response

John Travolta is named US president!
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I really enjoy all the indie bands getting exposure i think they are making some great music.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    for something new...armaggedon will come...and we will have to start ir all over again...
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Options
    solace23solace23 Posts: 704
    Check out: http://www.wolfmother.com/2005.html

They are an aussie band- kinda have a led zep/black sabbath feel- they will be huge!!
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    solace23 wrote:
    Check out: http://www.wolfmother.com/2005.html

They are an aussie band- kinda have a led zep/black sabbath feel- they will be huge!!

I think their will be some retro bands. New bands that sounds like Deep Purple, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, The Doors etc.

And Wolfmother is a great example.
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    Sounds like you are more interested inthe next big MARKETING thing, and not the music.

IMHO, the next thing in music will be great bands that you never hear about because they're not interested in being a part of the big machine. Lots of great bands telling the leeches to go suck on the garbage that can't make it without their devil deals. The next wave is grass roots bands...bands as good as Pj that you will never hear about on a national scale because they want nothing to do with getting monumentally ripped off.
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    enharmonic wrote:
    Sounds like you are more interested inthe next big MARKETING thing, and not the music.

You can't predict the big next thing in music, but you can predict who is going to sell alot of albums. And yes, I studied Marketing.
  • Options
    genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    If you go to the website http://www.edge.ca/station/ongoing_history_of_new_music.cfm

And go to listen to past shows there are some good ones
    about music trends and stuff. I listen to the show every
    Sunday morning on my local station.
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    Klumpie wrote:
    You can't predict the big next thing in music, but you can predict who is going to sell alot of albums. And yes, I studied Marketing.

Sure you can. It's basically a follower strategy. Wait for someone to take a chance on something different, and when it sells, rush to makrket with your own substitutes to capture some of the market share. That is exactly what is wrong with music today, and proof that marketing guru's know fuck all about music. Selling units...yes. Music...no.
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    I'm already sick of the indie scene, not all of it but the bands with kind of a clean guitar sound, playing mostly on the high strings... usually involves a dude with a high pitched voice almost monotonously shout/singing kinda like Arcade Fire/early At the Drive-in kinda shit. I've seen way to many bands like that circulating around Canada lately! What I really miss is good old fashioned rock n' roll acts. Distorted guitar, heavy riffs and meaningful, emotional songwriting. Everyone is so busy trying to be different nowadays they are forgetting what was good about sounded good about Nirvana, Led Zepplin, Hendrix, The Doors... and of course, Pearl Jam.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    MCG wrote:
    I'm already sick of the indie scene, not all of it but the bands with kind of a clean guitar sound, playing mostly on the high strings... usually involves a dude with a high pitched voice almost monotonously shout/singing kinda like Arcade Fire/early At the Drive-in kinda shit. I've seen way to many bands like that circulating around Canada lately! What I really miss is good old fashioned rock n' roll acts. Distorted guitar, heavy riffs and meaningful, emotional songwriting. Everyone is so busy trying to be different nowadays they are forgetting what was good about sounded good about Nirvana, Led Zepplin, Hendrix, The Doors... and of course, Pearl Jam.

We got ourselves a HUGE Fall Out Boy fan here!!! :D hehehe
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    genevieve wrote:
    We got ourselves a HUGE Fall Out Boy fan here!!! :D hehehe

No, no we don't :). What ever could have brought that on?
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    hopefully the next 'big' thing for rock music is all the current rock stations dying off and maybe some interesting ones coming about.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    Echoes wrote:
    hopefully the next 'big' thing for rock music is all the current rock stations dying off and maybe some interesting ones coming about.

Heh, that's pretty much how it'd have to happen. Whoever's in charge of the rock stations now would have to change by either being bumped off and new people come on or altogether changing.

Personally I don't like this Indie scene either. There's a band here or there that catches my interest but for the most part I just find the music boring. The main problems with those bands are the vocals, which are horribly bland with no passion, and the guitars. I'm a big fan of well used solos in a song and most indie bands seem to have boring guitar work. I'll be happy when the bland era is put to rest but for the moment it's at least better than emo and rap crap.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    I think that good guitar work does nnot necessarily imply solos. There are plenty of "indie" bands and bands that are being marketed as indie that frankly suck ass. There are also a lot of genuinely poor indie bands out there too, of course.
  • Options
    99% of indie music is poor, havent heard an indie band that even comes close to the best classic rock and big bands of the 90's. All indie bands lack graet melodies and hooks, most dont have great talents in musicianship or song writing, and no indie bands have made albums with the first to the last song all being good. In fact, most have no more than just one semi catchy song that gets old real fast. It also seems like every band out now is called indie........I dont even understand what indie means anymore, is it just a new term for rock because they cant describe the shit new music that comes and is coming out as rock music?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Options
    99% of indie music is poor, havent heard an indie band that even comes close to the best classic rock and big bands of the 90's. All indie bands lack graet melodies and hooks, most dont have great talents in musicianship or song writing, and no indie bands have made albums with the first to the last song all being good. In fact, most have no more than just one semi catchy song that gets old real fast. It also seems like every band out now is called indie........I dont even understand what indie means anymore, is it just a new term for rock because they cant describe the shit new music that comes and is coming out as rock music?

man that is basically the least accurate post that I have ever read, but to answer your question the term indie is pretty much just a bullshit term to describe a movement in music that was pretty much anti-the established rock scene and thrived in spite of not receiving major radio play. To be "indie" at its most technical sense would be to not be under a major record label.
  • Options
    next big thing in Australia: The Grates
    Wave came crashing...
  • Options

heard of Clap Your Hands Say Yeah??????
    Wave came crashing...
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    man that is basically the least accurate post that I have ever read, but to answer your question the term indie is pretty much just a bullshit term to describe a movement in music that was pretty much anti-the established rock scene and thrived in spite of not receiving major radio play. To be "indie" at its most technical sense would be to not be under a major record label.

Whats so inaccurate about it?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Options
    Well, there are plenty of "indie" albums that are amazing from start to finish
    plenty of great songwriters, and plenty of indie bands have nice melodic hooks. That is just my opinion, though.
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    Well, there are plenty of "indie" albums that are amazing from start to finish
    plenty of great songwriters, and plenty of indie bands have nice melodic hooks. That is just my opinion, though.

Name some for me........Killers seem to be considered indie and although I dont like them much, I will give them credit for making a very good album
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Options
    brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    i dont think we are going to see another 'coming-from-nowhere-band-breaking-through-the-scene', selling out big arenas all over the world, with every people knowing them songs and/or their faces.

seeing how quick the music news runs today (internet, blogs, message boards), every band that has a chance to 'explode' or 'starts a new scene' is gonna come with so hype stick to them that people are going to hate or be tired to them before even listening, or the hype will eat itself.

so we are going to stick with the 'greatest band ever from last week' for years to come.

'hear that band from iceland?'...yeah, they are fantastic with that ultra-pop-experimental-whatever sound'

'and you? have you heard about the new new band from artactica? they are cool!! so cool that even the penguins like them...'

and it goes on and on and on...

not that is bad discovering new bands, 'au contraire'. it's one of the best things the internet has provide us.

but the next best thing, for now on, is going to be a individual one...
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Options
    Great indie albums, front to back:

Slint - Spiderland
    Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
    The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
    Pixies - Doolittle
    Built To Spill - Perfect From Now On
    Nuetral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
    Boris - Akuma No Uta
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Yr Skinny FIsts Like Antennas to Heaven
    Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die
    Destroyer - Destroyer's Rubies
    Shugo Tokumaru - Night Piece
    Christine Fellows - Paper Anniversary
    A Silver Mount Zion - Born Into Trouble As The Sparks Fly Upwards
    The Mountain Goats - Zopilote Machine or We Shall All Be Healed

And those are just culled from the ones I can see on my shelf right now. Some of them aren't "hook"-y or hyper-melodic but they are all flat out amazing albums that I don't skip tracks on. It really is all subjective of course, though. If you want to hear any of them feel free to give me a PM or a holler on AIM and I can give you some samples.
  • Options
    AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    MCG wrote:

that's not all that's in the indie scene. there's more to it then just this although I love what's happening in Montreal.

there's also a huge movement into instrumentals or works with some vocals and mostly instrumentals, and dredg has a following in the indie scene in california that's pretty powerful.

what about... uhm, trail of the dead and what's going on in the south and around texas?

Pearl Jam sounds so unique on the radio its shocking, and they're having an impact on music as well. not the early stuff which was mockable and done to death, but the later music.

retro will always have its adherents, but music changes. it never stays still. why would people want to re-do what's already been done?

i'm older then most of you guys and i have no desire to hear music i listened to 20 years ago. 20 years ago is 20 years ago. there's new music now.

you need to look around for it. check out whatever's being discussed on RM. they usually have more then a clue over there.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    brhf9 wrote:
    not that is bad discovering new bands, 'au contraire'. it's one of the best things the internet has provide us.

but the next best thing, for now on, is going to be a individual one...

gold prize! you've hit it dead on. youth don't listen to the radio. radio is dying. the major labels are dead and don't know it yet. the internet is changing how we find and listen to new music and places like this and other social venues are where people will find new music.

by the time the music hits the radio, it's on it's second legs. radio is almost always late unless its' something they can't miss, like pearl jam who hit them right between the eyes.

the next scene will be whatever we create.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    To me, music today is quite terrible. As I see it, there are three five genres. Indie, Emo, Rap, Pop, and Metal. In my eyes there's no rock n' roll. Bands today, especially indie ones, don't tend to write riffs. Vocals are another problem in my eyes. It's either screaming, rapping, or whining. Not too many good vocalists around. I'd be happy with a resurgence of classic rock style music. As long as bands emulate, not immitate, bands like zeppelin and sabbath then things would be alright. I would kill to start a rock and roll band right now, but everyone I know wants to play metal. It seems that guitarists forgot how to solo and write catchy and interesting riffs. I really want someone to save music.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • Options
    =\

Man there is litereally so much good music out there. Why people say these things is just beyond me.