2008 could be a rough year for music

2»

Comments

• jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    i am sure i am the only one that likes them, but....

THE DANDY WARHOLS ARE FINISHING THEIR NEW RECORD RIGHT NOW

incorrect ... love the Dandys ... they were not on that list, but, that's good news.

wold also like a new KOL album, but again, not on that list.

Not that this site is the definitive be all end all of news .. but there is a LOT of music I like on that list

I'm intersted in hearing Colin Meloy (decemberists) and Chris Walla (Death Cab) and their solo stuff.

The next album with a release date I'm really psyched up for on that list is British Sea Power .... just found out they are playing a smaller club here in SF on March 1st ... very happy.

Other releases I'll be checking out ....

Aerosmith (ok, seriously, I haven't bought one of their albums since Permanent Vacation, which was bad ... but their first 5 albums rival that of any band on the planet ... so, I'll have an ear out)
    Black Crowes
    Steven Malkmus
    DeVotchKa
    The Kills
    REM
    Autolux
    Blur
    Coldplay (you know how I know I'm gay ... I like Coldplay)
    Cure
    Death Cab
    Zach de la Rocha .... solo??? Should be interesting!
    Doves (top five of looking forward to)
    Franz Ferdinand
    Futureheads (another Top 5)
    Gang of 4!!!
    Kaiser Chiefs
    Shirley Manson (sans the rest of Garbage)
    Metric
    Morrissey
    Muse
    NIN
    stellastarr*
    Tokyo Police Club
    The Walkmen
    Weezer (it *has* to be better than that last piece of crap they put out)
    Wolf Parade

hmm, that's it? :D
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Oasis
    Guns N' Roses-Chinese Democracy
    Metallica
    Dr Dre-Detox
    Zach De La Rocha

Only Metallica and Oasis are guaranteed to actually release albums this year though. Chinese Democracy is the only album I really care about but I'll listen to those other albums while I continue to wait.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    my 2008 started with me buying in rainbows. because tis such a fine album im gonna quit while im ahead and not buy any new music for the remainder of the year.
    but of course if the drones decide to honour us with something new then i shall renege on my previous resolution. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Let's all just look on the bright side here:

Limp Bizkit IS NOT releasing an album

Creed IS NOT releasing an album

Nickelback IS NOT releasing an album

Linkin Park IS NOT releasing an album

Staind IS NOT releasing an album

Korn IS NOT releasing an album

Britney Spears IS NOT releasing an album

Puff Daddy IS NOT releasing an album
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Forgot all about Weezer, any news on the record?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • I'm looking forward to the black crowes, Metallica and U2. I'm mildly interested in REM, MMJ and Counting Crows. Who knows, maybe there will be a few diamonds in the rough.

Looking at that list, Noel Gallagher is listed among the anticipated releases. Is it true he is working on solo stuff? Being a hug Oasis fan I would be very interested in that
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    I'm looking forward to the black crowes, Metallica and U2. I'm mildly interested in REM, MMJ and Counting Crows. Who knows, maybe there will be a few diamonds in the rough.

Looking at that list, Noel Gallagher is listed among the anticipated releases. Is it true he is working on solo stuff? Being a hug Oasis fan I would be very interested in that

No, thats a bunch of nonsense. He wont release a solo album because he is too lazy and doesnt have enough songs.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• No, thats a bunch of nonsense. He wont release a solo album because he is too lazy and doesnt have enough songs.

That would be my guess as well. I guess it should have said Oasis

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    That would be my guess as well. I guess it should have said Oasis

I wouldnt even be surprised if the new Oasis record wasnt released yet this year.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• They are a tad bit unreliable, eh

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Is the Neil Young archive set still supposed to hit the streets in 2008??
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Alice in Chains
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Some of you are way too positive about the music industry.
    No, some of us just branch out a bit with our tastes. I don't mean to sound like an elitist asshole but there has never been a bad year for music. Just look harder. There is more to music than Oasis and The Vines. There's no reason why you shouldn't be excited about those albums but there's no reason why you shouldn't find other stuff to listen to. It's not just indie either. There is a world of music out there.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    Ray Davies Working Man's Cafe
    The Black Keys Attack & Release
    R.E.M. Accelerate
    The Breeders Mountain Battles
    Supergrass Diamond Hoo Ha
    My Morning Jacket Evil Urges
    Coldplay [Title TBA]
    Peter Gabriel [Title TBA]
    Noel Gallagher [Title TBA]
    Oasis [Title TBA]
    Q-Tip The Renaissance
    Raconteurs [Title TBA]
    U2 [Title TBA]
    Scott Weiland [Title TBA]
    Wolfmother [Title TBA]

Thats a decent amount of new music from artists I tend to listen to.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Its not even 1 month into 2008 and I already have several GREAT albums......if this keeps up its gonna be another fantastic year!!!!

Hayden - In Field & Town
    Destroyer - Trouble in Dreams
    the Magnetic Fields - Distortion
    Nada Surf - Lucky
    Vampire Weekend - s/t
    Cat Power - Juke Box
    Hello, Blue Roses - The Portrait Is Finished And I Have Failed To Capture Your Beauty

looking forward to:

Chris Walla - Field Manual
    Colin Meloy (Decemberists singers solo album)
    DOVES!!!!!!
    Metric
    Kathleen Edwards - Asking For Flowers
    REM - Accelerate
    the Breeders - Mountain Battles
    Tapes n' Tapes - Walk It Off
    Coldplay
    the Cure
    Death Cab For Cutie - Narrow Stairs
    Islands
    Lemonheads
    Mercury Rev
    Muse
    the Postal Service
    Stereolab
    Tortoise
    Wolf Parade

.......shit - if even half of these turn out as good as I expect then it will be an AMAZING year, again!!!!!
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • The Mars Volta - The Bedlam in Goliath

nuff said.
    7/16/06 7/18/06
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    No, some of us just branch out a bit with our tastes. I don't mean to sound like an elitist asshole but there has never been a bad year for music. Just look harder. There is more to music than Oasis and The Vines. There's no reason why you shouldn't be excited about those albums but there's no reason why you shouldn't find other stuff to listen to. It's not just indie either. There is a world of music out there.

There is tons of average stuff out there, most of the people here are listing average band after average band.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Crappy list, but not any different than it always is; mostly nothing but shit realeased
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    tybird wrote:
    Is the Neil Young archive set still supposed to hit the streets in 2008??

Supposedly. But the latest twist is that it won't be on CD at all. DVD/Blue-Ray only.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003702875

It's either completely brilliant or crazy. Or both. Which would be just like Neil.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    There is tons of average stuff out there, most of the people here are listing average band after average band.
    I didn't say that the stuff mentioned in this thread was good. I said that there is tons of good music out there. I don't listen to any of the stuff in this thread, that isn't all there is out there. I am not particularly excited about any of the releases mentioned here but I'm still not despairing for 2008.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • [size=+4]ALICE IN CHAINS!!!![/size]
    I simply can't wait!
    "Come on people now, smile on your brother and everybody get together, try to love one another right now!!!!"
    "You my friend, I will defend and if we change, well I love you anyway"
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine, I AM MINE"
  • Alice in Chains
    Oop, sorry I hadnt noticed you'd already said that!
    "Come on people now, smile on your brother and everybody get together, try to love one another right now!!!!"
    "You my friend, I will defend and if we change, well I love you anyway"
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine, I AM MINE"
  • I'm eagerly anticipating new CDs by....

The Black Crowes
    The Black Keys
    Local H
    Alice in Chains
    Candlebox
    Alanis
    Days of the New (not positive it will be this year)
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    Jack Johnson Is Out Tuesday!!
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • hendrix78 wrote:
    .... the new albums by Black Mountain..... came out last week both kick ass.

I bought this on iTunes on a whim and it's kicking my ass! Great album..and they were here in Seattle this week, but I couldn't go. :(

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come...."
    dirtyT wrote:
    Jack Johnson Is Out Tuesday!!

And this is good news?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    And this is good news?
    I love Jack. Good news to me.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16