2008 could be a rough year for music

pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
edited January 2008 in Other Music
Hardly any bands that I like are releasing anything this year, the next few months are absolutely awful for new releases

http://www.metacritic.com/music/upcomingreleases.shtml
Alpine Valley 2000
Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm looking forward to

Red, Yellow, Blue - Born Ruffians
    The Raconteurs upcoming
    The Postal Service Upcoming
    Starsailor Upcoming
    Wolf Parade Upcoming

And Hopefully -

The Decemberists
  • Music? nah. Popular music? Mehbeh.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I'm actually looking forward to several albums this year. The Mars Volta, The Black Crowes, Eric Avery, the Black Keys, and the Gutter Twins all have new albums that I'm really looking forward to, and the new albums by Black Mountain and the North Mississippi All Stars that came out last week both kick ass.
  • Death Cab for Cutie
    Deftones
    Dredg
    Coldplay
    DeVotchKa
    The Raveonettes
    R.E.M.
    My Morning Jacket
    Blur (hopefully)
    David Gray
    Nine Inch Nails

I mean, seriously... c'mon!
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Oasis, NIN, Coldplay, The Raconteurs, The Vines are about it for me and none of those are even set in stone.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• hendrix78 wrote:
    I'm actually looking forward to several albums this year. The Mars Volta, The Black Crowes, Eric Avery, the Black Keys, and the Gutter Twins all have new albums that I'm really looking forward to, and the new albums by Black Mountain and the North Mississippi All Stars that came out last week both kick ass.

Yeah the song Wucan on the black mountain CD is incredible... also The Whigs - Mission Control is pretty good
    Some of you are way too positive about the music industry. Last year surprised me a bit, a few records that became some of my favorites ever (Baby 81, Into The Wild, The Redwalls, etc.) and I discovered some new bands as well but it seems like all my favorites released something in the last few years. I dont listen to countless indie bands like many of you so its hard for me to get real excited with this year especially when it starts out this bad.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• So far I've picked up solid albums from Black Mountain, moe., North Mississippi Allstars, and Drive-By Truckers. Widespread Panic, Black Crowes, and Howlin' Rain all have albums coming out in the next month or two. Raconteurs, Black Keys, and My Morning Jacket all have albums in the pipeline too.

There may be albums in the works from Local H, Marc Ford, and Bob Dylan too. Lots of good shit there.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Black Mountain
    Mars Volta
    5ive
    Boris
    Clouds
    Jesu
    Dead Meadow
    Dead Whale
    Mess With The Bull

that's all i have lined up so far. i may check out Kingdom Of Sorrow also
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,227
    Dude...you are way, way, waaaaaayyyyy too negative. If you used half the time you spend bitching about bands and the music industry actually seeking out stuff you enjoy, I think you'd be really surprised at the sheer volume of good shit out there.

Again I say...

Drive-By Truckers
    The Mars Volta
    Metallica
    The Black Crowes
    Mastodon
    My Morning Jacket
    Murder By Death
    The Gutter Twins
    Mike Patton
    Keith Caputo
    The Company Band
    Dredg
    Nada Surf
    Deftones
    Slim Cessna's Auto Club
    Dub Trio
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Its a good one for me :

Counting Crows

REM

Deftones

Coldplay

The Cure (is this confirmed?!)

and hopefully Sigur Ros
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I'm loving the new Drive-by Truckers, and the future Kathleen Edwards and My Morning Jacket CD's are on the top of my list. I'll probably get Gary Louris' solo album (and supposedly an album with Mark Olson!?!). R.E.M. sounds promising. I'm curious about Bon Iver. I see that site lists Gillian Welch as a possibility - that would be a dream come true for me. And then there are all those bands I've yet to discover . . .

Yeah, this looks like another good one to me. I don't see any reason to be negative. Just use this year as a chance to check out some new music if none of your favorites have anything coming out.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I am on the edge of my seat seeing that "Chinese Democracy" is scheduled for release this year according to your link. :rolleyes: ;)

Can't complain about 2008.....this new Drive-by Truckers' cd that I am currently listening to is enough to call it a pretty good year. :D

Peter Gabriel, Metallica and R.E.M. are promising high spots for the coming year.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    ac/dc! hopefully tour
    long awaited FUGEES
    long awatied DTOX from DRE
    REM
    raconteurs
    THE LONG AWAITED ZACH DE LA ROCHA SOLO!
    metric
    chinese democracy ??
    RAKIM (should be produced by DRE)
    new U2

yeah id say a pretty slow year compared to the last couple but, you cant have great years without some lows.

i already have the new destroyer that comes out in march.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
    ac/dc! hopefully tour
    long awaited FUGEES
    long awatied DTOX from DRE
    REM
    raconteurs
    THE LONG AWAITED ZACH DE LA ROCHA SOLO!
    metric
    chinese democracy ??
    RAKIM (should be produced by DRE)
    new U2

yeah id say a pretty slow year compared to the last couple but, you cant have great years without some lows.

i already have the new destroyer that comes out in march.

I wouldnt your breathe about Dre, AC DC, Rakim, or GNR
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Deftones
    Blur (hopefully)

I mean, seriously... c'mon!

Really!?! Any info on these?

Others I look forward to include:
    Beck
    My Morning Jacket
    Brad (maybe)
    Caspian
    Mogwai
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Deftones
    Dredg
    Mastodon
    Death Cab

!!!
  • Melissa Auf der Maur
    Big Boi(supposed to sound like Speakerboxx hopefully without the gayness)
    The Cure
    Zack de la Rocha(Without Tom it will suck)
    Dr. Dre
    Eminem
    LL Cool J(hopefully won't suck)
    Nine Inch Nails
    Scott Weiland
    Ice Cube
    Nas
    The Game

Its gonna be a good year for rap unlike the past 7 years. Also isn't Billy Corgan supposed to help Mellsa Auf Der Maur on her album anyone got info on that?
  • hopefully some basecamp bootlegs from Pearl Jam if ya know what I mean
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • pjl44 wrote:
    Keith Caputo

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm also looking forward to the gutter twins, counting crows, thrice, brad, and scott weiland.

i'll give metallica a chance too...
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,227
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm also looking forward to the gutter twins, counting crows, thrice, brad, and scott weiland.

i'll give metallica a chance too...

For all your KC needs...
    http://www.keithcaputo.com
  • pjl44 wrote:
    For all your KC needs...
    http://www.keithcaputo.com

you can be sure that i'm not out of the loop. :D

i saw LOA a few weeks ago... great show!
  • I'm looking forward to the new Kings of Leon album
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • Chris Walla
    Xiu Xiu
    Atlas Sound
    Stephen Malkmus
    Be Your Own Pet
    Destroyer
    The Black Keys
    R.E.M.
    The Breeders
    Man Man
    Portishead
    The Long Blondes
    Tapes 'n Tapes
    Scarlett Johansson(Sings Tom Waits! Huzzah!)
    My Morning Jacket
    The Avalanches
    Death Cab for Cutie
    Tokyo Police Club
    Cool Kids

Plus, a bunch more that are rumored to be coming out, not to mention the Mountain Goats, Vampire Weekend, the Magnetic Fields, and Blood on the Wall records, which are all very good. 2008 should be a solid year.
    The car's on fire and there's no driver at the wheel
    And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    MMJ
    The Mountain Goats
    R.E.M.
    The Raconterus
    Stephen Malkumus

not a sensational year but not bad at all...
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Oh yeah... Sigur Rós is in the studio working on their 5th LP... so, hopefully this year.

I just read this on their main site:

"the boys have got together a - by their standards - big bunch of material and are leaving iceland for new york to work with flood on what will hopefully be a quick, neat job - maybe even ready for release by the summer."
    Source.

Perfect.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    RUSH as the Snakes and Arrows World Tour continues starting in April.

Michael Franti and Spearhead will be releasing an album sometime this year.

Metallica will be releasing an album in February and it has to be a step up for the last release.

They will others forthcoming I'm sure, 2008 will be just fine along with a few surprises.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    Big Boi(supposed to sound like Speakerboxx hopefully without the gayness)

the gayness made it so good, i hope they leave the gayness IN, infact, put a sticker the says advisory "extra gayness"
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    The Postal Service Upcoming

Last I heard, this album was off for now, as Ben put Death Cab's album as the higher priority. Have you heard anything different?
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • i am sure i am the only one that likes them, but....

THE DANDY WARHOLS ARE FINISHING THEIR NEW RECORD RIGHT NOW
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB