Nirvana

2»

Comments

• JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Thanks to all those who posted the parody reactions to this silly situation, those are awesome!
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,833
    JH6056 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Whilst I think the manner in which he's going after the money is crass and very now, I do think there's something quite perverse about the whole situation.  It must be an odd situation to be famous for something like this, yet have absolutely no way of making money out of it - and in fairness, none of us are in the position of saying how we would feel because it's such a unique situation.  

The fact is that the Nirvana estate are raking millions in year after year -  you only have to look at all the high street companies selling smiley face t shirts etc to see that Nirvana are still a big business.  So to have someone so specifically linked to it not be financially rewarded seems a bit messed up.  Is the guy just supposed to feel lucky that he was that kid? 

look, you cant seek to profit independently(pics and autographs at conventions), put yourself out there as the nirvana baby and then claim you are damaged.

dude is scheduled for such convention for next year......
    Yeah that's why I said I thought it was crass.

The dude wants compensating for his picture being used on a record that's sold over 30 million copies, and continues to generate massive amounts of money.  I can see why he thinks that making chump change for autographs at conventions pales in comparison to what is being made by the Nirvana estate.  I'm not saying I necessarily agree, but I can understand that it must be frustrating to be famous for something that you had no say in, and having nothing much to show for it.
    You're ignoring or not paying attention to a key element in this whole situation: TIMING.  When this guy's parents were PAID (maybe only $100 bucks, not sure the amount) to do this, Nirvana was NOT a household name by a longshot.  NO ONE knew where this was going to go, and they probably figured "Hey, we'll get $100 bucks out of it and no one will know it's our particular kid if we don't want them to as he gets older".

When you make an agreement to do something, as long as both sides fulfill their obligations, the situation is over. Done.  His parents got what they were told they'd get for him being in the picture.

The fact that this album and this cover went on to represent a damn GENERATION and a whole movement of music is both cool, and daunting, and crazy, and yes very lucrative for those with rights to the album art.  But nothing about that says "injustice", and for this guy to sue AFTER putting HIMSELF out there as "The baby on the Nevermind cover" for money, honestly the Nirvana estate should sue him back for attorney's fees for wasting their time.  It's ridiculous, and while I absolutely understand WHY he wants more money, he simply doesn't have a right to it nor is it "unjust" that he didn't make a forture.

All over the world there are people who got paid for art for album covers that never went anywhere, so getting paid at the time was a good deal.  This is one of the few that exploded, so it goes... lucky for whoever owns the rights and all the merch made from it.
    Oh I understand all everyone is saying.  All I'm really getting at is that I can understand his ambivalence about the situation, it's a weird situation for anyone to be in, and as I said in my first post, I think the reasoning behind the lawsuit is very typical of the era we're in now. Regardless, it'll be really interesting to see how it plays out, I'd imagine a settlement.  If he were to win, it would set a pretty crazy precedent. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited September 2021
    30th anniversary editions of Nevermind coming out soon. 

https://shop.nirvana.com/
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,390
    edited September 2021
    I volunteered bass duties with some local musicians to play Nevermind front to back this Saturday, so I've spent the last 6 weeks learning it.... man, I can't believe how much I slept on Novoselic as a bass player. 

Some of his bass lines are clever AF. 

It's also been an awesome way to rediscover this album I used to love but got burnt out on almost 20 years ago. Occasionally in recent years I would reach for Bleach, or In Utero or Live & Loud, but never Nevermind. 

It really is an amazing fucking album. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    agreed...I tend to favor Bleach over Nevermind but still great
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    30th anniversary editions of Nevermind coming out soon. 

Lordy. Those live shows are worth the cost of the expanded set! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • I sure fucking hope the live Bluray doesn't look as badly upscaled as the trailer make it look
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • 30th anniversary editions of Nevermind coming out soon. 

Lordy. Those live shows are worth the cost of the expanded set! 
    That Melbourne '92 show is one of my favorites. Sick versions of Aneurysm, Love Buzz, and in my opinion, the best Smells Like Teen Spirit. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I sure fucking hope the live Bluray doesn't look as badly upscaled as the trailer make it look
    I'm not a whiz when it comes to that stuff, but wouldn't that be the best they could do considering it probably wasn't originally shot in HD? 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited September 2021
    Maybe it's youtube... but this clip of  Breed from the Amsterdam Bluray

https://youtu.be/azGrHPOJ588

make me think of this photo app:

Just like so many shitty upscaled musicvideos:

https://youtu.be/vU05Eksc_iM

Thank god for this Breed:

https://youtu.be/tGc8jL4dzao
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    I sure fucking hope the live Bluray doesn't look as badly upscaled as the trailer make it look
    I'm not a whiz when it comes to that stuff, but wouldn't that be the best they could do considering it probably wasn't originally shot in HD? 
    I was thinking the same thing.  When it comes to concert videos, finding them on film is like 1 in a million.  Most of them were filmed on videotape.   Whenever you do come across one that was put on film instead of videotape its like winning the lottery.   If I had a DeLorean I'd go back to a zeppelin concert, then after that I'd go and thank production staff for various rock artists who opted to use film :)   The Song Remains the Same, some of the older AC/DC shows, I think there's queen show, a the Who who, that were on film.  They are amazing time capsules.

I'm guessing this was the best they could do because it was filmed on videotape :(

I'm more miffed that's it's not included in the vinyl set :(  or as a standalone.  So I gotta by cd's just get it :(

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited September 2021
    Yes. It is video.

But using software, AI assisted etc like many upscaled music videos makes it look like it was painted. 

Just upscale it and maybe add some delicate sharpness to it. But leave it be. If it was shot on low-rez video it was.

I think this look will age alot more.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    edited September 2021
    The 8 lp set is an eyewatering £190 here in the UK. Going to keep an eye on it and hope it drops to below £100. Otherwise Im out. Ive already got 6 official Nirvana live albums.

Unplugged
    Wishkah
    Reading
    Live N Loud
    Paramount
    and the one that came Bleach reissue.

These might be good live shows but I dont think I can justify the money.
  • Yeah. The samey-ness of the set lists has me hesitating. I’m sure it’s a great set, but I have the 2 era specific shows they released. These aren’t really different. 

I’d be swayed if they included the Devonshire mixes in this. 
  • I'm happy with my 20th set. I guess I find more value in the rarities, b-sides than live shows. Cool that you have the option but nah. Kinda feels like they've released everything in the studio for this album so just dangling live stuff for completists to buy.

Having said that were I at one of those gigs I'd be all over it. The one band I wish I'd seen live over any other.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
    JT167846 said:
    I'm happy with my 20th set. I guess I find more value in the rarities, b-sides than live shows. Cool that you have the option but nah. Kinda feels like they've released everything in the studio for this album so just dangling live stuff for completists to buy.

Having said that were I at one of those gigs I'd be all over it. The one band I wish I'd seen live over any other.
    from a culturally significant standpoint, i'd agree. although aic and mad season with layne would be right up there too. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• True. I guess the gateway bands that got you into your own music and not that of your family hole the most special place in your heart. At least that's the case for me. PJ and Tool are my favourites, but PJ and Nirvana are the bands that made me fall in love with music which was my own, if that makes sense.

PJ with Dave, Nirvana, Alice with Layne, MS and Temple, classic SP lineup and STP with Scott pre first breakup, they're the ones I'd love to have seen. One of my best mates married a guy from Seattle and man the gigs he told me he saw...Love Bone, Nirvana with Chad, Tad...not to mention going water skiing with Cornell and dating a girl who later dated Jason Everman 😂 Talk about eyes bugging out of my head
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
    JT167846 said:
    True. I guess the gateway bands that got you into your own music and not that of your family hole the most special place in your heart. At least that's the case for me. PJ and Tool are my favourites, but PJ and Nirvana are the bands that made me fall in love with music which was my own, if that makes sense.

PJ with Dave, Nirvana, Alice with Layne, MS and Temple, classic SP lineup and STP with Scott pre first breakup, they're the ones I'd love to have seen. One of my best mates married a guy from Seattle and man the gigs he told me he saw...Love Bone, Nirvana with Chad, Tad...not to mention going water skiing with Cornell and dating a girl who later dated Jason Everman 😂 Talk about eyes bugging out of my head
    what a time to live in seattle. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    I caved it bought it, but I keep making new musicvaultz accounts to get 15% off (did that last week with the road apples box too).

It is moderately bugging me that you get these boxsets for albums most people own, and you gotta get all this extra stuff just to get the new content (for me, I just want the live albums).   Still 4 live albums seems better than the hip boxset that only has 1 live album.. lol (or that they double dipped by releasing the EP with the unlreased tracks from that album a few months before including it in the boxset).

I much prefer it when bands release stuff standalone, like the new springsteen live album.