Silversun Pickups

2»

Comments

• boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Igottago wrote:
    If you have ever seen the life of the common person in the UK or Manchester in particular, then you know what i'm talking about. There is a reason so many people connect with Oasis. The best thing about them is rather than acting like pretentious geniuses, they just speak and act like they would if they were at the pub on any given night.

If you say so. But I don't know what could be more pretentious than saying you're bigger than the Beatles. . .
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    boroff89 wrote:
    If you say so. But I don't know what could be more pretentious than saying you're bigger than the Beatles. . .

They were absolutely huge in the UK (and around the world) in the 90's. Like I said, they are drunken cocky bastards who weren't afraid to be. They said shit like that to get a reaction. And they did.

Anyways, this thread isn't a debate on Oasis. I'll let everyone get back to talking about this sunshine slut band or whatever it is.
  • Igottago wrote:
    Don't mean to step into your guys' little pissing match, but Oasis are way better than the pussy rock this band puts out. Oasis are pure class, music with guts, working class music for the common man. This smashing pumpkins wannabe crap is geeky nerdy whiney shite by people who thinks its cool to look transgendered. Wankers.

I've honestly never heard somebody say that Liam Gallagher/Oasis had class before. He trashes everyone...very publicly, and has one of the worst god complexes in music.

I think SSP have some great tunes, as do Oasis...do not care at all for their last album, but some of the earlier stuff was great. I do not think that they have had a superb album, but there best-of hits in a year or 2 will be amazing

I do see some resemblance between SSP and Smashing Pumpkins though. Not really lyrically, but a tiny bit in some riffs and definitely in the singing. Is that bad. Smashing Pumpkins had that going on, and were a very influential band in the 90's (that can not be argued).

So in closing...if he sounds like a girl, then so did/does Billy Corgan. I am one of many who liked the Pumpkins, and I enjoy SSP. Their next release will help me make a decision on them.
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I think SSP have some great tunes, as do Oasis...do not care at all for their last album, but some of the earlier stuff was great. I do not think that they have had a superb album, but there best-of hits in a year or 2 will be amazing.

uh, they already released one dude... called stop the clocks. it's got a pretty dynamite playlist, despite missing some huge songs. and if definitely maybe and what's the story don't qualify as superb albums, i don't know what does.

as to their beatles comments, if you can't see the nonsense swagger in that crap, i don't know what's wrong with you. it's probly why the OP does what he does round here. he gets his jollies pissing people off. it's more idol-worship than being a real hardcase i think.
  • no need to cry about it

pjoasis' example of a great comeback :rolleyes:
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    pjoasis' example of a great comeback :rolleyes:

It was directed at the emo boy Boroff so it works quite well.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • It doesnt hurt me, your loss.........many agree that they made a couple of the best albums of the 90's

Yeah the same kind of people that buy like 3 cds a year.....they made two vaguely decent records, nothing ground breaking by any means, but enough to appeal to the masses.
  • Igottago wrote:
    Don't mean to step into your guys' little pissing match, but Oasis are way better than the pussy rock this band puts out. Oasis are pure class, music with guts, working class music for the common man. This smashing pumpkins wannabe crap is geeky nerdy whiney shite by people who thinks its cool to look transgendered. Wankers.

Music with guts?! Are we really talking about the same band here? Liam is a shit singer and a petulant little prick riding on his brother's coat tails, the lyrics are average at best and the melodies heavily borrowed.

Ps. if you are going to compare silversun pickups to anyone, they sound far more like Placebo.

Pps. I don't think any of them look 'transgendered': http://www.spinner.com/media/2006/09/silversun-pickups400.jpg
  • Igottago wrote:
    If you have ever seen the life of the common person in the UK or Manchester in particular, then you know what i'm talking about. There is a reason so many people connect with Oasis. The best thing about them is rather than acting like pretentious geniuses, they just speak and act like they would if they were at the pub on any given night.

OK, enough, I'm British, have lived here all my life, and have visited Manchester. They do not represent the average person at all. Seriously if you saw the kind of typical fan they have over here you would be less than inpressed. Invariably they are absolute cunts, and I don't use that word lightly. Google or youtube the word 'chav' and you're in the right area.
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    OK, enough, I'm British, have lived here all my life, and have visited Manchester. They do not represent the average person at all. Seriously if you saw the kind of typical fan they have over here you would be less than inpressed. Invariably they are absolute cunts, and I don't use that word lightly. Google or youtube the word 'chav' and you're in the right area.

You could say the same for fans of gangsta rap. Because some of the fans are less than impressive, doesn't make the music any worse. All I'm saying is there was a reason that a lot of people like Oasis, and to say their music is garbage is garbage. Oasis will never do what Radiohead has done. But when I feel a bit down and feel like I need an injection of "cool" or I wanna go out and booze it up, Oasis is the perfect soundtrack.

Most of what the Gallaghers do is for show anyways. They play things up to the media and people eat it up. I mean it works...this thread was supposed to be about some other band and for some reason Oasis has taken over. Now thats what you call impact.
  • The only thing they really take off the pumpkins is the layering of the guitars and plenty of bands do that. i think they are a pretty good new band, nothing spectacular but worth a few listens.
    "Being undecided...it's dangerous. And I'll give you a perfect example: people with mullets, that's indecision."-EV

9/28/05-PNC
    5/30/06-DC
    6/23/06-Pittsburgh
  • Igottago wrote:
    You could say the same for fans of gangsta rap. Because some of the fans are less than impressive, doesn't make the music any worse. All I'm saying is there was a reason that a lot of people like Oasis, and to say their music is garbage is garbage. Oasis will never do what Radiohead has done. But when I feel a bit down and feel like I need an injection of "cool" or I wanna go out and booze it up, Oasis is the perfect soundtrack.

Most of what the Gallaghers do is for show anyways. They play things up to the media and people eat it up. I mean it works...this thread was supposed to be about some other band and for some reason Oasis has taken over. Now thats what you call impact.

I tell you what, go to an Oasis show over here in the UK and you'll see what I mean. I was at a UK festival for the weekend one year, and Oasis were headlining one of the nights, the amount of wankers that came in with day tickets just for their show was ridiculous. The reason they got big over here in the UK is because they not only appealed to the indie crowd, but they appealed to chav types too, their image was that of belligerent thugs, thus they became heroes for people like that.
  • Jesus, this thread is about the Silversun Pickups not Oasis.

The Pickups are not amazing but they are like a grilled ham and cheese sandwich, nothing gourmet or spectacular but after eating it you feel satisfied.

They are very enjoyable live, their drummer is totally high energy on the drums and other then Pat from MMJ he is the best example of what a real life Animal from the Muppets would be like.

Anyway I think they are enjoyable to judge on what they look is dumb, that means you should also hate The Who and The White Stripes if you follow that logic.
    EV Bridgeschool - October 24, 2004
    San Francisco - July 15/16/18, 2006 Bridgeschool - October 21/22, 2006
    Lollapalooza - August 5,2007
    EV Berkley - April 7/8, 2008 The Who Rock Honors - July 12, 2008
    Outside Lands - August 28, 2009 Seattle - September 21/22, 2009 San Diego - October 9, 2009