Silversun Pickups

pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
edited December 2007 in Other Music
I still cannot believe that the singer is a guy. What a disgraceful band, I dont understand how they got popular.
Alpine Valley 2000
Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chipboychipboy Posts: 137
    I saw them at Lollapalooza. Thought they were pretty good. Didn't know they were popular.
  • I still cannot believe that the singer is a guy. What a disgraceful band, I dont understand how they got popular.

Why are they disgraceful?
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Why are they disgraceful?

Poor man's Smashing Pumpkins......basically a cheap ripoff with poor woman vocals sung by a man.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Great band, seen them live a couple of times, they have some really good songs. I guess if you were an Oasis fan you might not 'get it' ;)
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    you're funny :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
    Great band, seen them live a couple of times, they have some really good songs. I guess if you were an Oasis fan you might not 'get it' ;)

Pathetic how the users on here can never throw out a decent insult, instead you just say things along the lines of "your an Oasis fan so you know nothing". You dont know me and you dont know what all my music tastes are so why bother making the same overused comment?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Poor man's Smashing Pumpkins......basically a cheap ripoff with poor woman vocals sung by a man.

If Silversun Pickups are a cheap rip off of the Smashing Pumpkins the question must be asked do you think the Smashing Pumpkins are a cheap rip off of My Bloody Valentine just with a bald guy signing?

I happen to like all three bands. Silversun is okay i actually saw them last night not a bad show but they are nothing special.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202

aside from the guy's voice (which i can understand annoying people), i don't see how they are anything like smashing pumpkins.

i dig them. also didn't know they were popular though. i only heard of them becos they opened for another band i went to see a while back.
    aside from the guy's voice (which i can understand annoying people), i don't see how they are anything like smashing pumpkins.

i dig them. also didn't know they were popular though. i only heard of them becos they opened for another band i went to see a while back.

The songs I heard from them, including their couple hits sound very much like early Pumpkins.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

Pathetic how the users on here can never throw out a decent insult, instead you just say things along the lines of "your an Oasis fan so you know nothing". You dont know me and you dont know what all my music tastes are so why bother making the same overused comment?

maybe becos most people on here prefer discussing to dishing out insults. but intelligent debate is and never has been your strong suit. i'd love to have you tell me how "he's a homo" is a decent insult?
  • I like silversun pickups..i saw them live a few times and had the opportunity of partying with them after one of their shows...they are a nice bunch...and i appreciate an odd voice, no one has ever been innovative doing the same things everyone else is doing (voice).....come on people, be nice..to each his/her own
    Through Every Breakthrough, Breakdown, and Breakup...
    "What a Different Life had I not Found This Love With You.."
  • Tried to like them. Not my thing. They sound slightly influenced by the Pumpkins, but not really that much, in fact barely at all really.

That's a guy?

I'll be damned.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Pathetic how the users on here can never throw out a decent insult, instead you just say things along the lines of "your an Oasis fan so you know nothing". You dont know me and you dont know what all my music tastes are so why bother making the same overused comment?

Because it upsets you, and that makes me laugh! Plus the fact that Oasis are the epitome of mediocrity, yet you still like them enough to use their name as part of your username. The fact that you rate Oasis that highly means your opinions can't really count for much.
  • poor mans smashing pumpkins? :confused: seriously? the only song where i can see the slightest resemblance to the smashing pumpkins is lazy eye..and even thats pushing it...carnavas is a good album and im lookin forward to see what they do with the next one
    to all interested, they released an ep prior to that album called 'pikul' or something. i bought it at best buy and it's also very good.
  • ahh i've been meaning to check that out..thanks for reminding me
  • kc_pjkc_pj Posts: 284
    Good music, nice change of pace from PJ... I'm excited to see what they release next...
    "Seek my part, devote myself.
    My small self. Like a book amongst the many on a shelf."

"I'm already 30% more unpredictable."
    -Pam Beesly
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I have only heard lazy eye so far and yes that is pumpkins like but I love that song nonetheless.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786

As I have told you many times, what bothers me about your posts is that they are typically uneducated, unclear, and insulting. The support you offer up for your statements, when you bother to offer up support at all, is severely lacking in logical thought. Your retorts are liking to involve "Go cry to your mother" or "quit whining" or "because it sucks." This is supposed to be a discussion board. In order to discuss things, posters need to have arguments that they can back up.

In terms of the Silversun Pickups, why the fuck does it matter if the lead singer is a guy with a high voice (please note that there is a girl in the band who sings as well)? I've heard people think that Cedric Bixtell from Mars Volta is a woman. I've heard people think Robert Plant is a woman. When I taught and used Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car" in my song lyrics as poetry unit, my students all thought she was a man. Humans are remarkably variable creatures, including in our vocal ranges. That this particular lead singer might be confused for a woman is not a basis for shitting on the band.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
    Because it upsets you, and that makes me laugh! Plus the fact that Oasis are the epitome of mediocrity, yet you still like them enough to use their name as part of your username. The fact that you rate Oasis that highly means your opinions can't really count for much.

It doesnt hurt me, your loss.........many agree that they made a couple of the best albums of the 90's
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

boroff89 wrote:
    As I have told you many times, what bothers me about your posts is that they are typically uneducated, unclear, and insulting. The support you offer up for your statements, when you bother to offer up support at all, is severely lacking in logical thought. Your retorts are liking to involve "Go cry to your mother" or "quit whining" or "because it sucks." This is supposed to be a discussion board. In order to discuss things, posters need to have arguments that they can back up.

In terms of the Silversun Pickups, why the fuck does it matter if the lead singer is a guy with a high voice (please note that there is a girl in the band who sings as well)? I've heard people think that Cedric Bixtell from Mars Volta is a woman. I've heard people think Robert Plant is a woman. When I taught and used Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car" in my song lyrics as poetry unit, my students all thought she was a man. Humans are remarkably variable creatures, including in our vocal ranges. That this particular lead singer might be confused for a woman is not a basis for shitting on the band.

Whether it was a girl singing or not doesnt take away from the fact that I dont like their music, no need to cry about it and make a couple long paragraphs that have no effect on my opinion
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• I saw (the?) Silversun Pickups on Friday night and really enjoyed their performance; even bought a shirt (pic doesn't do it justice but you get an idea) and got them to sign it.

I can understand why some are turned off by the vocals though.
    I wonder how popular they are.
    Austin City Limits - Oct 04, 2009
    Whether it was a girl singing or not doesnt take away from the fact that I dont like their music, no need to cry about it and make a couple long paragraphs that have no effect on my opinion

Hahaha. Thank you for illustrating my point so beautifully.

And when the fuck did I say I was trying to change your opinion? I don't even like the Silversun Pickups all that much. I just take objection to your only stated reason for not liking them.

As for long paragraphs, that's what intelligent people who are trying to make a point use. . .
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483

Don't mean to step into your guys' little pissing match, but Oasis are way better than the pussy rock this band puts out. Oasis are pure class, music with guts, working class music for the common man. This smashing pumpkins wannabe crap is geeky nerdy whiney shite by people who thinks its cool to look transgendered. Wankers.
    Igottago wrote:
    Don't mean to step into your guys' little pissing match, but Oasis are way better than the pussy rock this band puts out. Oasis are pure class, music with guts, working class music for the common man. This smashing pumpkins wannabe crap is for geeky nerdy whiney shite by people who thinks its cool to look transgendered. Wankers.

have you seen the silversun pickups? they don't look emo at all. the dude bears a weird resemblance to kurt cobain if anyone.

i like oasis better than silversun pickups though. i didn't know i wasn't allowed to like both?
    have you seen the silversun pickups? they don't look emo at all. the dude bears a weird resemblance to kurt cobain if anyone.

i like oasis better than silversun pickups though. i didn't know i wasn't allowed to like both?

I was alluding to one of their videos I found on youtube that seemed to feature some masculin looking girl and a feminine looking guy.

I don't really have any hate for this band, don't particularly like them. Just wanted to stick up for Oasis. I think it was another poster who I quoted actually.
    Igottago wrote:
    Don't mean to step into your guys' little pissing match, but Oasis are way better than the pussy rock this band puts out. Oasis are pure class, music with guts, working class music for the common man. This smashing pumpkins wannabe crap is geeky nerdy whiney shite by people who thinks its cool to look transgendered. Wankers.

You know, if you love Oasis, cool deal. But working class music for the common man???? Seriously? A couple of spoiled brats sniffing coke, bitching at each other, and throwing tantrums? That represents the working class? I guess we're a long way from Springsteen. . .
  • boroff89 wrote:
    You know, if you love Oasis, cool deal. But working class music for the common man???? Seriously? A couple of spoiled brats sniffing coke, bitching at each other, and throwing tantrums? That represents the working class? I guess we're a long way from Springsteen. . .

He must have meant Pulp... cause Oasis, music for the common man? not even a little bit.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • The Pikul EP is really good. 'Kissing Families' was one of those songs I listened to nonstop a couple years ago.

No need for vitriol - if you don't like them, you don't like them.
    boroff89 wrote:

If you have ever seen the life of the common person in the UK or Manchester in particular, then you know what i'm talking about. There is a reason so many people connect with Oasis. The best thing about them is rather than acting like pretentious geniuses, they just speak and act like they would if they were at the pub on any given night.