Your 10 favorite newer bands of this dreadful decade of music

13»

Comments

• boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Matty Boy wrote:
    The 1980's was fucking killer compared to this decade.
    You had Appetite For Destruction, Joshua Tree, Ride The Lightning, Blizzard of Oz, Purple Rain, Back In Black,
    1984, Born in The USA, and Thriller. All those albums I just listed kick the shit out of any albums that've come out this decade.

Wow. I find Appetite, Back in Black, and Blizzard of Oz to be incredibly boring and shallow albums. The rest are good, but they wouldn't be anywhere near the top of my favorite albums list. If you want to talk about good 80s albums, you can do better than that.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    boroff89 wrote:
    Wow. I find Appetite, Back in Black, and Blizzard of Oz to be incredibly boring and shallow albums. The rest are good, but they wouldn't be anywhere near the top of my favorite albums list. If you want to talk about good 80s albums, you can do better than that.
    Appetite For Destruction is easily the best rock album of the 1980's. I'm sure you want me to list some REM albums but that's just not my cup of tea.
  • Matty Boy wrote:
    You had Appetite For Destruction, Joshua Tree, Ride The Lightning, Blizzard of Oz, Purple Rain, Back In Black,
    1984, Born in The USA, and Thriller. All those albums I just listed kick the shit out of any albums that've come out this decade.

There is plenty of killer stuff in the 80s, but there is way more cheese than anyother decade. and all the decades have cheese as well, this radio station i've been listening to plays the 60 through today's music very evenly.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • boroff89 wrote:
    I always support the artists I love by buying their albums rather than downloading them. I realize I am in the minority here. The album is far from a lost art. Already this year, their have been three albums released that are stellar from beginning to end: Arcade Fire's Neon Bible, The Shins' Wincing the Night Away, and Modest Mouse's We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank. I find it funny you call the bands unoriginal. To me, they are far more original than anything rock has seen for quite some time. That's why I am so drawn to them. They are not derivative. They are innovative. It's hard to be innovative in a genre that has been covered so thoroughly already.

What is original about those bands? I love Modest Mouse and all, but they are talking heads/a combination of other band's knockoffs. Now, I'll agree they have developed their own sound, but it's not exactly reinventing the wheel. They aren't innovative at all really.

And this is coming from a guy whose favorite band is The Black Crowes. I know that a band can go from copying to developing their own sound.

I guess what it comes down to is I prefer blues based rock n' roll bands, not bands that have their roots in 80's dance/punk type music.

It's not as much being unoriginal as it is disposable. I've heard it all before, and I've heard it done better. All those 'indie' bands need to learn how to solo and jam a little bit and develop their musicianship a little better. That's just one guy's opinion, but if I'll listen to Prince or Talking Heads if I wanna hear that type of music.
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Mike Brady wrote:
    What is original about those bands? I love Modest Mouse and all, but they are talking heads/a combination of other band's knockoffs. Now, I'll agree they have developed their own sound, but it's not exactly reinventing the wheel. They aren't innovative at all really.

And this is coming from a guy whose favorite band is The Black Crowes. I know that a band can go from copying to developing their own sound.

I guess what it comes down to is I prefer blues based rock n' roll bands, not bands that have their roots in 80's dance/punk type music.

It's not as much being unoriginal as it is disposable. I've heard it all before, and I've heard it done better. All those 'indie' bands need to learn how to solo and jam a little bit and develop their musicianship a little better. That's just one guy's opinion, but if I'll listen to Prince or Talking Heads if I wanna hear that type of music.

Structurally, lyrically, vocally, and instrumentally, the bands I listed are very unique. Particularly Modest Mouse and Arcade Fire. I don't see the connection between Modest Mouse and Talking Heads at all. See, I think the problem lies in the fact that you essentially only appreciate rock that has strong roots in the blues. I love that kind of rock as well. That's part of the reason I love Pearl Jam (and Jimi, Led Zeppelin, SRV, etc). However, I don't think there is a right way to make good rock music. Also, I find your comment rather laughable that the indie bands don't have good musicians. Have you ever gone to an Arcade Fire show? If not, I would strongly encourage you to do so. You'd be hard pressed to find a more talented group of musicians (just look at the liner notes of their albums and check out how many different instruments each member plays).
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    mmj
    the strokes
    interpol
    brand new
    AFI before they became emo and sold out
    as i lay dying
    from autman to ashes
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Kings of Leon
    Strokes
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    White Stripes/Raconteurs
    Incubus (rather old, but you did say decade so I'm taking it as 1997 ;) )
    Afrirampo
    MMJ

that's enough.

BTW, the 80's completely blew except for the Alt Rock scene. The Cure, REM, Talking Heads, Sonic Youth, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds,... all amazing bands.. then you look at pop rock and hair metal.. and you have to put on Tender Prey and vicariously let Nick Cave drain the anger out of you by singing about murder.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Matty Boy wrote:
    Beck - Sea Change
    Radiohead - Kid A
    Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - The Lyre of Orpheus/Abattoir Blues
    Pearl jam - self titled
    KOL - Because of the Times
    Modest Mouse - Moon and Antartica and We Were Dead..

fuck guns and roses and serrrrrioussssllly fuck AC/DC
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Sleater-Kinney.
    I'M NOT A SLAVE TO A GOD THAT DOESN'T EXIST.
    I'M NOT A SLAVE TO A WORLD THAT DOESN'T GIVE A SHIT.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Off the top of my head:

Disturbed
    quote]

Dan Donegan..................male model !! ROFL !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • mmj
    the strokes
    interpol
    brand new
    AFI before they became emo and sold out
    as i lay dying
    from autman to ashes

AFI isn't emo, they just have really bad hair.
  • AFI isn't emo, they just have really bad hair.

I kind of agree with that assessment.
    NERDS!
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    In no particular order:

white stripes
    Burden Brothers
    Eagles of Death Metal
    The strokes
    Coldplay
    Baboon (Local Texas band only... I think?)
    Exit 380 (another Texas local band only ... maybe??)
    Audioslave (too bad they broke up).
    Seether
    shinedown
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Silversun Pickups...

checking 'em out LIVE Wednesday night...

should be good.

Anyone else seen 'em LIVE yet?
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
    Matty Boy wrote:

You can say that now because you've had 20 years to reflect on these records. In 2027 we will be having similar discussions.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    pjl44 wrote:
    You can say that now because you've had 20 years to reflect on these records. In 2027 we will be having similar discussions.
    Yeah they'll still be talking about how good those albums I listed from the 80's sound in 2027. Nobody will give a shit about Modest Mouse, Kings of Leon, Killers, and all these other mediocre bands that have been listed in 2027. People will still be listening to The Stones, Zep, GnR, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, Pearl Jam, and a host of other classic bands though.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    my morning jacket
    the mars volta
    a perfect circle
    casket salesmen
    queens of the stone age (first album in 98... but breakthrough in 00's)
    system of a down (same deal as qotsa)

i can't think of anymore

the strokes

the white stripes
  • Matty Boy wrote:
    Yeah they'll still be talking about how good those albums I listed from the 80's sound in 2027. Nobody will give a shit about Modest Mouse, Kings of Leon, Killers, and all these other mediocre bands that have been listed in 2027. People will still be listening to The Stones, Zep, GnR, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, Pearl Jam, and a host of other classic bands though.

Good point. "Where is the Misty Mountain Hop. Where is the Iron Man of today?"

Citizen Dick rocks!
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • in no particular order;

bloc party
    arcade fire
    the mars volta
    the shins
    enter shikari
    kings of leon
    biffy clyro
    muse
    snow patrol
    secret machines

(i apologise if any dates are innaccurate.)
    'we were coming close to being on lunchboxes'- e.v 2000
  • Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644

biffy clyro

Yes! This man knows!

enter shikari

Did you just put them in as a joke though?
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018