Bands that try to be funny or different but end up sounding like assholes

2»

Comments

• Oasis
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • journeymanjourneyman Posts: 135
    Tenacious D
  • Cake
    Barenaked Ladies
    Flaming Lips
    Primus
    Crash Test Dummies
    Totally agree with the list except Flaming Lips. I love them. I would add Sum41
  • Matt83Matt83 Posts: 7
    Primus is a great band, but most average simpleton rock fans won't like them because they cannot fathom listening to music that features unique drumming, down right awesome bass playing, oddly written guitar parts, and a slightly humorous nature that was greatly needed during a time when horrible simplicity was the trend.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Binaural wrote:
    "The most special kind of love is the love that exists between two naked women while I watch." Made me laugh so hard when I heard that :D
    lets all say some dirty words. everyone say fuck.......everyone say shit...........everyone say dick................ everyone say marks an asshole.............everyone say fuck fuck shit fuck :D
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• no more pathetic than Oasis making music at any age.

Wow.

VERY well said
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • bestsane wrote:
    Blink 182 anyone?

Blink 182. I'm glad you said it.

I personally really don't like Bowling for Soup and Nerf Herder.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Post-OK Computer Radiohead
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • DOSW wrote:
    Post-OK Computer Radiohead

really?
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    really?

Yeah, they became far too self-indulgent after that, I think.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    True, the music sounds good........the vocals sound hideous

Wait...so you're saying that Wolfmother are assholes becuase their vocals sound hideous?
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    Primus sucks!!

..fellow Primus fans will understand :D
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I truly cannot stand Cake. My college roommate love them and I just don't get the appeal.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    mca47 wrote:
    I truly cannot stand Cake. My college roommate love them and I just don't get the appeal.

Absolutely dreadful/stupid music
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    I like some of these bands, but i'm not a huge fan of any of them. That being said, I still listen to a few of them sometimes and appreciate them in their own way.

It's called diversity, dont be afraid or mad at it. Take it for what it is...i.e. Les Claypool is a talented bass player.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Bangers_n_mashBangers_n_mash Posts: 1,241
    Claudia wrote:
    The Darkness
    Well they were just a joke. It was funny enough very early on but that soon faded...
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    Yeah I don't understand Primus being on this list. They are such a great, original band. If you haven't heard Sailing The Seas of Cheese, I recommend that you do, now.

This thread does suck, so does Primus.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    jason mraz. HORRIBLE in every fuckin way. The fact he named his second album 'mr. a-z' shows how dumb he his humor is. He's also on those DREADFUL remember the 80's crap-o-thons on vh1 all the time and thinks he's so witty and cute.

This isn't related to his music, but he looks like a frog also.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    So what do those who agree with the original posters think of They Might Be Giants?

Geek rock at its finest, I say. Everything else is just imitation.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    rhinomagic wrote:
    So what do those who agree with the original posters think of They Might Be Giants?

Geek rock at its finest, I say. Everything else is just imitation.

i forgot about them. some music just has to go away.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    Cake
    Barenaked Ladies
    Flaming Lips
    Primus
    Crash Test Dummies

not to step on your toes, but oasis can't even dream up something us stunning as
    the soft bulletin,
    yoshimi battles the pink robots.

i totally disagree with you
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Well they were just a joke. It was funny enough very early on but that soon faded...

Actually I think 'Permission to Land' was a very, very, very good album. It was comedy cock rock, OK, but didn't sacrifice on quality imo.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    glasshouse wrote:
    not to step on your toes, but oasis can't even dream up something us stunning as
    the soft bulletin,
    yoshimi battles the pink robots.

i totally disagree with you

Just because its different doesnt mean its good, especially in the case of Flaming Lips.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    Okgo

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA