Your top 5 least favorite rock sub-genres

2»

Comments

• NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    wow. that's a pretty bold and broad statement. so every rock band on an independent label is garbage to you? maybe you should try listening to some of it. and how are you gonna bunch them all into one catergory. i think you should explain yourself on this one or maybe you shouldn't have posted it at all.

Actually indie is a style of music and how bold and ignorant of you to accuse someone else of not knowing music as well as you. Independent label is different than indie music, but I guess in your extensive music knowledge you didn't know that. There is such thing as indie music. It doesn't refer to what label you are on. The Arcade Fire is a great example of an indie band. Sorry if it deeply offends you that I don't like them.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• Christian Rock
    guess you haven't heard of starflyer 59, the prayer chain, mewithoutyou... great christian rock bands that don't really preach
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,138
    1. hair bands
    2. emo
    3. death metal
    4. post grunge
    5. nu-metal
    I agree with all except hair bands. I'd change that one and replace it with rap-rock
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    Matty Boy wrote:
    Music is music, it's either good or it's shit.

I agree

The only sub genre that I really can't stand is death metal.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    Great topic! I hate....

1. Today's version of "indie"
    2. Emo
    3. Ska
    4. Rap-rock (I like rap, like rock, but never liked bands like Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park)
    5. Folk-rock
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    And if ska doesn't qualify as a sub-genre of rock, then I'll say Christian rock, which is listed as a sub-genre on Wikipedia.
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    NickyNooch wrote:
    Actually indie is a style of music and how bold and ignorant of you to accuse someone else of not knowing music as well as you. Independent label is different than indie music, but I guess in your extensive music knowledge you didn't know that. There is such thing as indie music. It doesn't refer to what label you are on. The Arcade Fire is a great example of an indie band. Sorry if it deeply offends you that I don't like them.

okay smartass. indie is not a style of music. why do you think it's called indie. it's short for independent. it's not my fault people start labeling bands as indie bands because of their similarities with other indie bands. real indie bands are bands on independent labels, it's a fact, sorry if you don't like it. and how presumtious of you to assume that i am an arcade fire fan just because you made an ignorant statement about all indie music. but since you said it, yeah i think arcade fire is a great band.........and i never accused anyone of not knowing music as well as me. i just said for you to say that indie is one of the worst sub-genres in rock is an ignorant statement, because there are so many different types of bands that fall under the catergory as indie, it's impossible to put them in one group and dismiss them all as bad bands.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Dick Jones wrote:
    Math
    Stoner

yeah, what the fuck is math rock?
    gabers wrote:
    ? indeed

Blackeyed you little trickster. Emo is most definitely NOT the new grunge. Sorry, to each their own, but to me the only other genre of music I'd like to listen less to is Tejano.

i love watching people like you try to rationalize things like this. if this lyrics isn't emo as shit i dont know what is:

"i know you'll be a star... in somebody else's sky. but why? WHY? WHHHHIIIIINNNNEEEE cant it be mine?"

a slightly different vocal register and you've got fall out boy's new hit. to say that grunge is somehow untouchably superior is bullshit. grunge was at times every bit as contrived and cheesy as emo can be now. and hair metal fans were saying the same things about whiny pussy depressed grunge fans that grunge fans are now saying about whiny pussy depressed emo fans.
    They also, at least the more sucessful groups all come from at least middle class families, money does not buy happiness, but it sure doesn't hurt.

funny how in one sentence you simultaneously claim money doesn't buy happiness then imply that it is somehow impossible for those with money to feel genuine sadness. im sure there's no contradiction in your self-righteous bullshit though.
  • Them-BonesThem-Bones Posts: 518
    Christian Rock
    Glam Metal (cept for Skidrow they kick ass)
    Emo
    Screamo
    New Wave
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    i love watching people like you try to rationalize things like this. if this lyrics isn't emo as shit i dont know what is:

"i know you'll be a star... in somebody else's sky. but why? WHY? WHHHHIIIIINNNNEEEE cant it be mine?"

a slightly different vocal register and you've got fall out boy's new hit. to say that grunge is somehow untouchably superior is bullshit. grunge was at times every bit as contrived and cheesy as emo can be now. and hair metal fans were saying the same things about whiny pussy depressed grunge fans that grunge fans are now saying about whiny pussy depressed emo fans.

I think a lot of it is the delivery, and to a lesser extent, the image. I've tried to imagine being 16 again and I still think I would think it sucks. And this comes from someone who loves legendary "whiners" like Morrissey and The Cure. To me, they just seem like they really have nothing to say, it's all superficial and whiney. You can have one or the other but not both. Most of them sound like they're trying really hard to be Green Day but gave up and are targeting 15 year old girls instead. It's hard to fully explain, I just don't care for it.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    gabers wrote:
    I think a lot of it is the delivery, and to a lesser extent, the image. I've tried to imagine being 16 again and I still think I would think it sucks. And this comes from someone who loves legendary "whiners" like Morrissey and The Cure. To me, they just seem like they really have nothing to say, it's all superficial and whiney. You can have one or the other but not both. Most of them sound like they're trying really hard to be Green Day but gave up and are targeting 15 year old girls instead. It's hard to fully explain, I just don't care for it.

Yeah, delivery is the key. If you have two lyrics that are identical to one another, but you put them in different songs with different vocal styles, the impact can be MILES apart for a listener. It's that simple. That's the difference between grunge and emo (apart from the obvious musical differences).
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    of course anyone who includes death metal in their list will burn for eternity in the firey pits of hades!
    gabers wrote:

fair enough. it's just one thing to say it doesn't appeal to you, another to claim uneqivocally that every grunge band/song is objectively superior to every emo song/band. there are a lot of bands out there that are tossed into the emo heap that are excellent, like bright eyes, jimmy eat world, and others. they're not all as affected and theatrical as panic at the disco... who are no more theatrical than of montreal who are somehow still credibly indie groups worthy of worship. it's just a truly annoying and hypocritical mindset.
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    1. Emo
    2. Hair Metal
    3. Hardcore
    4. Pop Punk
    5. Screamo
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • "Goatee Metal Rap Please Say Goodnight"
  • MLB5150MLB5150 Posts: 70
    here's a silghtly off topic but interesting question.

when would you say that 'post grunge' started?
    and who were the first 'post grunge' band?

I think post grunge started when Foo Fighters released their first album. It was sort of happy. Happier than Nirvana. So post grunge is really happy grunge. Just look at live or creed, happy grunge.
    "Who did you say you were, replacing might for miracles?" - ajc
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    MLB5150 wrote:
    I think post grunge started when Foo Fighters released their first album. It was sort of happy. Happier than Nirvana. So post grunge is really happy grunge. Just look at live or creed, happy grunge.

happy grunge huh? i see what you're saying with the foo fighters, but i don't think i've heard too many happy songs from Live....and creed, i don't know what the fuck they're singing about half the time, when i hear them i usually try to block it out to save my ears. anyway i don't know when it started but i'd say the best example of one of these bands is puddle of mudd. i swear that guy thinks he is kurt cobain. what a garbage band though.
  • gabers wrote:
    so it basically comes down to whether you prefer your whiny vocalist with ripped jeans and flannel or tight jeans and eyeliner.
  • MLB5150 wrote:
    i always took the foo fighters as punk-alt... or something, but not grunge
  • fair enough. it's just one thing to say it doesn't appeal to you, another to claim uneqivocally that every grunge band/song is objectively superior to every emo song/band. there are a lot of bands out there that are tossed into the emo heap that are excellent, like bright eyes, jimmy eat world, and others. they're not all as affected and theatrical as panic at the disco... who are no more theatrical than of montreal who are somehow still credibly indie groups worthy of worship. it's just a truly annoying and hypocritical mindset.
    yes, you also forgot to include Juliana Theory a great emo band... well, not that great but i like some of their tunes.