4. post grunge
5. nu-metal
Alpine Valley 2000
Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    yep. All shit. So you got something right ;-)
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Yep, that's a good list. I'd replace hair bands with pop-punk, though. Hair metal is so awesomely moronic that it just kinda makes me laugh... everything else on the list makes me want to kill myself.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    1. Nu metal
    2. Hardcore (Not Hardcore punk, but hardcore.. ie. Underoath type garbage)
    3. Indie
    4. Emo
    5. Rap Rock (pretty much dead anyways)

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    1. hair bands
    2. emo
    3. death metal
    4. post grunge
    5. nu-metal
    Honorable mentions:

Disco
    Dance
    Pop Country
  • NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    danny72688 wrote:
    Honorable mentions:

Disco
    Dance
    Pop Country

I wouldnt call those ROCK sub genres though.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

NickyNooch wrote:
    I wouldnt call those ROCK sub genres though.
    Whoops.......guess I should read the whole thread title ;)
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    Christian Rock
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    Math
    Stoner
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • lol
  • TheEvolutionTheEvolution Posts: 143
    EMO
    ScreamO
    EMO
    Death Metal
    and oh maybe um EMO
    "Being undecided...it's dangerous. And I'll give you a perfect example: people with mullets, that's indecision."-EV

9/28/05-PNC
    5/30/06-DC
    6/23/06-Pittsburgh
  • BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    Christian Rock
    haha good addition. I agree with all the ones mentioned
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    NickyNooch wrote:
    3. Indie

wow. that's a pretty bold and broad statement. so every rock band on an independent label is garbage to you? maybe you should try listening to some of it. and how are you gonna bunch them all into one catergory. i think you should explain yourself on this one or maybe you shouldn't have posted it at all.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Music is music, it's either good or it's shit.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    supergroups
    screamo
    emo
    goth
    skater-punk

in response to the 'indie' statement: Indie is more of a recording style than a music style. Virtually every band starts off as an indie band in some way or another, so to say that you hate it is like saying you hate all bands when they start out which is pretty ludicrous.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • 1- CHristian Rock
    2- Post/neo Grunge
    3- Rap metal
    4- Death Metal
    5- 80's hair metal
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • here's a silghtly off topic but interesting question.

when would you say that 'post grunge' started?
    and who were the first 'post grunge' band?
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • 1. pre grunge
    2. grunge
    3. post grunge
    4. nu grunge
    5. moar grunge
    supergroups
    Gotta call you out on this one.

Temple of the Dog
    Mad Season
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    A little tangent here but I say Emo is the new Hair Metal.
  • gabers wrote:
    A little tangent here but I say Emo is the new grunge.
    *?
    *?

? indeed

Blackeyed you little trickster. Emo is most definitely NOT the new grunge. Sorry, to each their own, but to me the only other genre of music I'd like to listen less to is Tejano.
  • gabers wrote:
    ? indeed

Someone's being a trickster. Emo is most definitely NOT the new grunge.
    lol. why not?

oh btw... this is pretty funny. http://www.cracked.com/index.php?name=News&sid=1170
    lol. why not?

oh btw... this is pretty funny. http://www.cracked.com/index.php?name=News&sid=1170

But you see those grunge dudes never cared about fashion. It's so apparent the Emo dudes do. Not that there's something wrong with that...

You think Kurt Cobain was trying to be fashionable with holey jeans and grandma's sweater???
  • gabers wrote:
    ? indeed

Blackeyed you little trickster. Emo is most definitely NOT the new grunge. Sorry, to each their own, but to me the only other genre of music I'd like to listen less to is Tejano.
    well, I don't like emo either but there are so many similarities between emo and grunge. A bunch of bands getting mislabeled, terrible fashion, a similar backlash in response to both scenes. They're a lot more similar to each other than I think either is to hair metal and if anything grunge is probably closer to hair metal, if only because chronologically grunge is closer to hair metal than the modern concept of emo is.
    The funny thing is when the so-called grunge scene of Seattle was going on, most of the guys writing these troubled lyrics such as Eddie and Kurt did not lead perfect lives, they were writing for the most parts about the drama in their lives. Most of these EMO boys are writing about their girlfriends dumping them and shit. They also, at least the more sucessful groups all come from at least middle class families, money does not buy happiness, but it sure doesn't hurt. Most of the grunge groups were struggling most of the time. With the exception of a few guys like Stoney and a few others. But the EMO kids just sing about shit that has no real importance to the real problems in the world. Maybe im wrong but that is just my opinion. Oh and i also seconf the Christian Rock thing, i forgot to put that on my list haha
    "Being undecided...it's dangerous. And I'll give you a perfect example: people with mullets, that's indecision."-EV

9/28/05-PNC
    5/30/06-DC
    6/23/06-Pittsburgh
  • gabers wrote:
    But you see those grunge dudes never cared about fashion. It's so apparent the Emo dudes do. Not that there's something wrong with that...

You think Kurt Cobain was trying to be fashionable with holey jeans and grandma's sweater???
    I don't think most "emo" groups are concerned with how they look or are trying to be fashionable but dress a certain way for theatrics. Believe it or not dressing up the way they do in P!ATD or MCR or FOB do for their concerts or videos isn't fashionable, they would get laughed off the streets for looking like that. Maybe not as much FOB because Pete Wentz seems to be very aware of what's fashionable and popular. It's really just for show, sticking to a certain theme, ya know. Yeah, it's still ridiculous, but whatever.
  • The funny thing is when the so-called grunge scene of Seattle was going on, most of the guys writing these troubled lyrics such as Eddie and Kurt did not lead perfect lives, they were writing for the most parts about the drama in their lives. Most of these EMO boys are writing about their girlfriends dumping them and shit. They also, at least the more sucessful groups all come from at least middle class families, money does not buy happiness, but it sure doesn't hurt. Most of the grunge groups were struggling most of the time. With the exception of a few guys like Stoney and a few others. But the EMO kids just sing about shit that has no real importance to the real problems in the world. Maybe im wrong but that is just my opinion. Oh and i also seconf the Christian Rock thing, i forgot to put that on my list haha
    I don't think most of the emo groups you're thinking of lived perfect lives before their breakthroughs or whatever. I'm not going to argue about who was poorer because it's pointless and has no real effect on the music. I don't really care if Kurt was eating dirt off a bridge before Nirvana, it doesn't make the music any better.
    Also I just have to laugh whenever someone complains about emo groups becoming popular on songs about breaking up with girlfriends, it is so cliche and really doesn't happen as much as you think. Besides, even Pearl Jam had Black, come on now. Is there success illegit now because they had a break-up song? I would even say that songs a lot more emo than most of what these emo groups put out.
    Also, I'm just wondering who determines what has any real importance in life. Are you talking about politics and social problems? Since when was that necessary to make good music. There are plenty of groups that did fine while barely touching those subjects or not even commenting on them at all. The Beatles did pretty fine for themselves playing mostly love songs. Music doesn't always have to have a point anyway.
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    all sub genres you mentioned before and most of ´´indie´´ bands, their flat music makes me sick...
    I don't think most of the emo groups you're thinking of lived perfect lives before their breakthroughs or whatever. I'm not going to argue about who was poorer because it's pointless and has no real effect on the music. I don't really care if Kurt was eating dirt off a bridge before Nirvana, it doesn't make the music any better.
    Also I just have to laugh whenever someone complains about emo groups becoming popular on songs about breaking up with girlfriends, it is so cliche and really doesn't happen as much as you think. Besides, even Pearl Jam had Black, come on now. Is there success illegit now because they had a break-up song? I would even say that songs a lot more emo than most of what these emo groups put out.
    Also, I'm just wondering who determines what has any real importance in life. Are you talking about politics and social problems? Since when was that necessary to make good music. There are plenty of groups that did fine while barely touching those subjects or not even commenting on them at all. The Beatles did pretty fine for themselves playing mostly love songs. Music doesn't always have to have a point anyway.

I def agree with you, i kind of rambled on a little bit on my post. Yes they came from good lives, before their success. I think the grunge groups were able to better convey the emotion in their lyrics and songs becuase they know what they are singing about, they have experienced hardships, it helps make better music. Anthony Keidis wrote most of his best music while recovering from herion addiction. Temple of the dog was made on the fellings that came out of Andy Wood's Death. Cobain wrote most of his lyrics on the things that had happened during his life. The only reaosn i make the conncetion is becuase so many people link EMO to Grunge, because its all about emotion and teen anxiety and all that stuff. Or so i have been told anyways. The money is not the big issue i was probably worng on that, the issue lies on what the seattle boys had to go through, most of the time it was due to lack of financial stability but sometimes not. It seems to me luike these EMO kids have not lived these real life experinces that they whine about. And yes Pearl Jam had black but i think it touched on a whole other level than like Panic at the Disco who has lyrics like "I've got more wit, a better kiss, a hotter touch, a better fuck Than any boy you'll ever meet, sweetie you had me" I mean really those are rediculous lyrics. I felt bad just looking those up haha. but yeah i just think EMO i one big joke

9/28/05-PNC
    5/30/06-DC
    6/23/06-Pittsburgh
  • I def agree with you, i kind of rambled on a little bit on my post. Yes they came from good lives, before their success. I think the grunge groups were able to better convey the emotion in their lyrics and songs becuase they know what they are singing about, they have experienced hardships, it helps make better music. Anthony Keidis wrote most of his best music while recovering from herion addiction. Temple of the dog was made on the fellings that came out of Andy Wood's Death. Cobain wrote most of his lyrics on the things that had happened during his life. The only reaosn i make the conncetion is becuase so many people link EMO to Grunge, because its all about emotion and teen anxiety and all that stuff. Or so i have been told anyways. The money is not the big issue i was probably worng on that, the issue lies on what the seattle boys had to go through, most of the time it was due to lack of financial stability but sometimes not. It seems to me luike these EMO kids have not lived these real life experinces that they whine about. And yes Pearl Jam had black but i think it touched on a whole other level than like Panic at the Disco who has lyrics like "I've got more wit, a better kiss, a hotter touch, a better fuck Than any boy you'll ever meet, sweetie you had me" I mean really those are rediculous lyrics. I felt bad just looking those up haha. but yeah i just think EMO i one big joke
    I'm not going to over over which is better cause that's just opinion and we could go in circles.

I'm not sure what experiences you are talking about when you say "EMO kids have not lived these real life experinces that they whine about." there is no typical emo song, there's a stereotype but if you listened to an album like Three Cheers, The Black Parade, or even FUCT, they touch upon a whole bunch of different ideas and themes. And of course they didn't live through every experience they sing about. Eddie never became a serial killer like in once, did he?

And I think Panic! was going for a whole other type of song than black. As you can see those lyrics really aren't emotional or anything. Comparing them is pointless. And if you took that line from Panic! and compared it to a line from black like maybe "i know someday you'll have a beautiful life..." you'd think pearl jam was the emo band. which just goes to show you can't trust stereotypes.