Black Sabbath or Zeppelin?

2»

Comments

• adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Zeppelin in a landslide. Not even in the same league IMO.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    it´s tough because led zeppelin had the greatest musicians. Robert plant, jimmy page, and john bonham are the greatest vocalist, guitarrist ´´sorry hendrix´´ and drums players of all time.... and they created so many rock classics.....

Black Sabath created metal rock, that´s why all metal bands love them.... ozzy charisma, great iommy riffs, many metal classics, dark image.....

i love both bands equal, the only diference are in zeppelin musicians skills had...
  • karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    Led zeppelin. Of course, I might add.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    Hard choice to call.

I grew up with both but I guess at a push I'd have to choose Led Zep.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Led Zeppelin for sure.
  • tonestones Posts: 104
    Easily Zeppelin.
    "Your light's reflected now,... reflected from afar...
    We were but stones,... your light made us stars"
  • BrainOfJDBrainOfJD Posts: 242
    It depends on the criteria. If you're judging their careers, Led Zeppelin was far more prolific and diverse. Zeppelin made great blues rock like Zeppelin I and II, acoustic roots stuff on Zep III, and the sheer majestic epic rock brilliance of Physical Graffitti. Paranoid (the album) by Black Sabbath is pretty frigging amazing start to finish, but I don't think they successfully moved far from that formula or matched its quality before or after. As for range, Sabbath is maybe the best guitar-riff band in history, but there's not much else to say beyond that.

Plus Sabbath's legacy is forever tarnished by the multiple lineup changes, etc. Another thing that kind of hurts Black Sabbath is that the recording quality of some of that early stuff was kind of weak. Maybe that's because of the translation to digital on the CDs that I have, I don't know.

On the other hand, if you want to judge song by song, I would put the first 4 tracks on Paranoid - War Pigs, Paranoid, Planet Caravan, and Iron Man up against anything Zeppelin did and I don't think I could ever pick a clear winner.

As for influence, it might be a tie. They're both on the short list of bands that defined the sound of heavy metal.

How's that for a long-winded waffle? :)
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    black sabbath is great but led zep is the best rock band ever period.

and ozzy is a big loser now anyway.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    Ozzy is not a losser, his solo career is far better than robert plant solo career, he had create metal masterpieces, have you ever listened: blizzard of ozz, Diary of a Madman and his essential album....

Ozzy it´s not one of this rockers who get old and sucks... respect for him...
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    Zeppelin by about a million or so...

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • There's not a lot of original vocal melody in early Sabbath, it's usually just Ozzy singing almost exactly what Iommi is playing. As a vocalist, it's a bit of an easy way out.

The first four (hell, all of the albums really) Zeppelin albums on the other hand had wonderful, beautiful vocal melodies. Some of the stuff Plant was doing goes so far beyond what Ozzy could do. Of course, the music he had to work with, in my opinion, what much more expansive. Plant had Iommi beat by a mile as a songwriter and a guitarist.

And the Zeppelin rhythm section can't be touched.

I like both bands, but Zeppelin has Sabbath beat in talent, songwriting, diversity, and just about everything else.
    "It's not British music, it's American music. Now c'mon." -Bob Dylan
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    black sabbath is great but led zep is the best rock band ever period.

and ozzy is a big loser now anyway.

Ozzy wasn't the only member of Sabbath you know ;):D

I rather liked the non-Ozzy years of Sabbath
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Alone.Alone. Posts: 54
    Inkdaub wrote:
    Sabbath

yep.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    ya kidding?

zeppelin.
    with sabbath at a close second.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • tough choice but I'd say ZEPPELIN !!!
    Sabbath is kick ass as well though
    Master of Zen
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    led zeppelin it´s a short better than black sabath, but most people ´´especially young people´´and bands prefer BS more than led zeppelin, due to sometimes BS reunion ´´remember us who is the first and greatest metal band´´ , Ozzy solo career, ozzy and sharon idea of OZZFEST who bring the hard rock-metal to maximum...

and all the voices of new and old generation of hard rock-metal bands who call Black sabath as their biggest influence....