New Blind Melon Album - "For My Friends" - Out 22nd April 2008

2»

Comments

• its a really great record. i have to say i'm impressed.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    oktacoma wrote:
    I'm a huge Melon fan and I got to see the guys in Tulsa recently. They really did put on a great show and Travis sounded really good, even if he didn't look quite comfortable out there. As for the album, I like it but don't love it. Some songs are really pretty good (Sometimes, Make A Difference, Cheatem St., Hypnotize), whereas some others are a bit lacking (For My Friends, Wishing Well). Travis's lyrics are a bit weak but I'm glad to see the guys back together.

I saw them and Travis didn't look the least bit uncomfortable. In fact, he was quite the showman. However, I totally agree on the lyrical aspect. He's got a set of pipes to rival Shannon but takes a total backseat in the lyrics department. A lot of cliche' in his writing. Still, I dig the new record.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • oktacoma wrote:
    I'm a huge Melon fan and I got to see the guys in Tulsa recently. They really did put on a great show and Travis sounded really good, even if he didn't look quite comfortable out there. As for the album, I like it but don't love it. Some songs are really pretty good (Sometimes, Make A Difference, Cheatem St., Hypnotize), whereas some others are a bit lacking (For My Friends, Wishing Well). Travis's lyrics are a bit weak but I'm glad to see the guys back together.

Travis' lyrics weaker than Shannon's?...wow, who woulda thunk it? ;)
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    momofglynn wrote:
    I have heard the demos, and even have seen some of these songs live. The studio tracks are great. Is it me, or does this truly sound like they are releasing 14 years of every single emotion in this album? I am really liking the new album a lot. Good stuff. I am glad to see some people giving it a try.

Nothin will ever compare to Shannon, I dont think there is even any point comparing Travis to Shannon... and with that said I totally agree with you, Ive been spinning this record since December after it leaked and I've seen them live 4 times since then and I've loved every show and the album is great!

Travis puts on a great show and the band its as sharp as ever, they are awesome live.

Sometimes its my very favorite off of the album but Down at the Pharmacy is a close second (though I like the demo version better than the album one) ... I think its just about not looking at Blind Melon as it replacing or competing with the old BM, its the same band but not really if you know what I mean.... I saw BM in 94 and Shannon blew my mind away and I will cherish the day I saw his on stage perform for the rest of my life and that is probably why I appreciate the new BM and their new work, I've learned to get over the fact that they kept the same name :)
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    True..by keeping the name it's inevitable to start comparisons. I was somewhat curious about how the new album would sound. Although i first must confess i own the other cds and i always liked Blind Melon i was never a huge fan. I must admit they did a good job in keeping the bands spirit without the late Hoon..that is not an easy thing to do. As for the cd itself it is ok..not a masterpiece, but definetely not a piece of crap, it's worth a listen if you ever liked Blind Melon.
  • reggie500reggie500 Posts: 23
    momofglynn wrote:
    I have heard the demos, and even have seen some of these songs live. The studio tracks are great. Is it me, or does this truly sound like they are releasing 14 years of every single emotion in this album? I am really liking the new album a lot. Good stuff. I am glad to see some people giving it a try.

This album has grown on me in a big way - much like their other ones did. I remember when soup came out ....I had to listen to it a few times before it sunk in. The same thing happened with this new one. It's really different, just like soup was from the debut. I can't believe how good this cd is. Every song is strong top to bottom.
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    I BrisK I wrote:
    Yo all

just a heads up ;p

i hope they come to Europe... ahh

all you anti new melon just stay away, cba with you lot. We all know Shannon kicked ass and still does.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/videos/BlindMelon/Wishing-Well--59021815

check that shit out. Love that song, its so good!

also check http://www.myspace.com/blindmelon for some other new songs.

The lead singer has been dead for a while now and they are still touring as Blind Melon?
  • The lead singer has been dead for a while now and they are still touring as Blind Melon?

Yes, it will be 13 years this October since Shannon passed away. :( The guys decided to "reform" with some new wannabe Shannon & call themselves "Blind Melon." The new stuff of course doesn't hold a candle to anything Shannon touched (& yes, I somehow managed to stomach listening to a couple tracks. :eek: ) The creative force is gone, as is the band.

& To those who are gonna try to sell me on the "reformation," don't waste your breath, or typing time...From this point on, anything post Shannon will be labeled Faux Melon. Thank you & good day. :D
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • reversedarwinismreversedarwinism Posts: 1,151
    I've seen all the love for Blind Melon here on this board and it made me want to check it out. A friend of mine has an album so I listened to the whole thing. I don't know which one it was, but man was I dissappointed. I've recently seen the term "glorified bar band" and I can't think of a more appropiate term for Blind Melon, at least that particular album. The have a bluesy sound, absolutely nothing special. They had one great pop song and thats it as far as I can tell. If they can get a record deal with the music I heard, every mediocre bar band can. "no rain" is extremely popular, but I've never really thought it was anything special. I just checked them out based on the posts here. I don't know what the hell yall like about them. Of course, I've done 180s on bands before, may be I'll hear something different someday. Thing is that one friend is the only person I know that actually owns a Blind Melon album and even he doen't like it. So, who knows if I'll actually get a chance to ever try them again.

I just looked up which album it is on amazon: NICO.

I sampled the first album, sounded decent, but I'm not going to spend any money on it.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    I would suggest giving Soup a try. It's my favorite out of the two official studio releases. The self-titled debut is great, but I feel they really came together on that second disc.

Nico probably wasn't a good place for you to start.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
    Travis' lyrics weaker than Shannon's?...wow, who woulda thunk it? ;)

Give the guy time to come into his own as a songwriter. I know you've been outspoken against this formation mouthfulofsoup, but you have to respect the fact that they are carrying on in an honorable way.

They haven't exploited the music and have paid tribute whenever the chance arises.

Seeing Nico sing Change...if that doesn't move you, I don't know what will.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Blind Melon is one of the greatest bands ever. Period. Saw them last night and it was a great show and Travis fills in nicely. NO, he is no Shannon who is one of the great songwriters of all time, but it gave me a chance to see the other 4 guys and it was a great time. Those haters out there are just being snobbish pricks.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Don't listen to mouthfulofsoup. He's bitter about them keeping the name Blind Melon and can't get over it. The new album is great. It's a worthy addition to the Blind Melon catalogue in every way. The music is amazing and the lyrics are fine.

I'm sure many will consider this blasphemy, but I don't think all of Shannon's lyrics were that brilliant. Don't me get me wrong, I love the guy, but "I've got to buy some shoes, these ones are gettin loose. My feet are sinkin in the sun and it ain't fun."? It's not terrible, but I wouldn't call it genius.

For me Blind Melon was about the overall groove and mood to the music, and they have mangaed to 100% recapture those elements on the new album in my opinion.
    hendrix78 wrote:
    For me Blind Melon was about the overall groove and mood to the music, ands they have managed to 100% recapture those elements on the new album in my opinion.

Honestly, I am just as excited to see Glenn, Christopher, Rogers and Brad...those guys make amazing music.

I hate that Unified Theory didn't work or Abandoned Jalopy, but it just wasn't meant to be.

The music they make has a signature sound and I'm glad to hear it again.

PBM

• restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    I've seen all the love for Blind Melon here on this board and it made me want to check it out. A friend of mine has an album so I listened to the whole thing. I don't know which one it was, but man was I dissappointed. I've recently seen the term "glorified bar band" and I can't think of a more appropiate term for Blind Melon, at least that particular album. The have a bluesy sound, absolutely nothing special. They had one great pop song and thats it as far as I can tell. If they can get a record deal with the music I heard, every mediocre bar band can. "no rain" is extremely popular, but I've never really thought it was anything special. I just checked them out based on the posts here. I don't know what the hell yall like about them. Of course, I've done 180s on bands before, may be I'll hear something different someday. Thing is that one friend is the only person I know that actually owns a Blind Melon album and even he doen't like it. So, who knows if I'll actually get a chance to ever try them again.

I just looked up which album it is on amazon: NICO.

I sampled the first album, sounded decent, but I'm not going to spend any money on it.

nico is NOT the best place to start.if you dont get what blind melon was all about, its your loss. give them another chance and start with soup, or the first one. the blind melon vibe that everyone loves is all over those two. glorified bar band is an absolute insult to what blind melon was/is. they have great messages in their songs, stuff that makes you think about life. amazing music, that we are lucky to still be getting today with the addition of Travis.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Honestly, I am just as excited to see Glenn, Christopher, Rogers and Brad...those guys make amazing music.

I hate that Unified Theory didn't work or Abandoned Jalopy, but it just wasn't meant to be.

The music they make has a signature sound and I'm glad to hear it again.

PBM

I totally agree. I think Christpher Thorn and Rogers Stevens are very underrated guitarists. Their interplay is amazing and I love the funky and psychedelic influences they bring to the band. I also love Brad Smith's bass work. It reminds me of Eric Avery in Jane's Addiction(one of my all time favorite bass players). Nothing too flashy, but always interesting and really the bedrock for the groove of each song.
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    nico is NOT the best place to start.if you dont get what blind melon was all about, its your loss. give them another chance and start with soup, or the first one. the blind melon vibe that everyone loves is all over those two. glorified bar band is an absolute insult to what blind melon was/is. they have great messages in their songs, stuff that makes you think about life. amazing music, that we are lucky to still be getting today with the addition of Travis.
    agreed; I was so stoked to see the rest of the band last night and my god to hear SOUP live was breathtaking
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,113
    hendrix78 wrote:
    I also love Brad Smith's bass work. It reminds me of Eric Avery in Jane's Addiction(one of my all time favorite bass players).

Don't forget his backing vocals..like Mike Mills in REM..Brad's backing vocals were key to Blind Melon's sound.
  • PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    I always have to bring this up when ppl start talking about if a band should carry on with the same name or not.

Bands that have kept the same name and gone on with different singers (and still been sucessful):
    AC/DC
    Pink Floyd
    Van Halen
    Little River Band
    Black Flag
    Black Sabbath

I'm sure there are even more, but this is all I can come up with off the top of my head
  • I finally got my hands on the album. Actually had to put in a request at my local Sunrise records store to have them order it in. The manager at the store thought I was crazy, telling me Blind Melon couldn't possibly have a new album out.

Anyways, I really like it. It's going to take a few listens to sink in, I'm still in shock that I'm listening to a new Blind Melon album, never thought that day would come, lol.

Only gripe is that it kind of sounds like Travis is really trying to emulate Shannon's vocal style, which could just be his natural voice. Either way, if you can get past the fact that they kept the name (and really, I don't doubt for a second that Shannon would not have objected in any way to this new Melon, its keeping his music and voice alive for a new generation...), then you will probably really enjoy this album and that signature Blind Melon sound!!!
    "A toast....to Canadian born Neil Young!!!" - Eddie Vedder

CANADIAN AND PROUD OF IT!!!!!!