Blind Melon - New Track up on Blind Melon's Myspace!

Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
edited August 2007 in Other Music
If you haven't heard it yet go to Myspace and listen to "Wishing Well", also they have added new version of "For My Friends" up too!

Here is the link to Blind Melon's Myspace page

http://www.myspace.com/blindmelon

Also, Glen is answering questions again on the forum but just until August 30th! So stop by the forum and make sure to ask Glen you burning questions!

http://blindmelons.proboards19.com/index.cgi?board=glensblog
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    has there been any word yet on when the album comes out?
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    taken from the myspace..

" I'm staring at the back of Brad's head. He still has all his hair. Amazing. He's at the board now working on the mix of "Father Time". We've mixed seven songs and have maybe 12-13 to go.
    The show-booking process is about to start, so we'll have some information about that in a few weeks.
    Brad's hair is delightful. He's got it pulled back into a nice little ponytail. All he's missing is a fannypack and a cellphone holster. "

thats the progress.... also a tour section has been added to the forum so they will be touring soon
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    Anybody ever get into Unified Theory? Their album was great... I saw their 2nd or 3rd show ever in San Fran. It was $5 and came with an all you can eat BBQ!! Hung out with the band afterwards.

For those of you who don't know.. it was Christopher and Brad from Blind Melon with Dave Abbrusse (sp.) from PJ on drums and a singer/ guitarist who sounded just like Hoon.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Trailer wrote:
    Anybody ever get into Unified Theory? Their album was great... I saw their 2nd or 3rd show ever in San Fran. It was $5 and came with an all you can eat BBQ!! Hung out with the band afterwards.

For those of you who don't know.. it was Christopher and Brad from Blind Melon with Dave Abbrusse (sp.) from PJ on drums and a singer/ guitarist who sounded just like Hoon.

Yeah I got the Unified Theory album, A.M radio is an awesome song - will have to dig out that record.

On the new song, I love it. It's weird trying to think of it as the same band, sounds like them, and the new singer has a similar voice to Shannon's, so it feels familiar - but at the same time you have that feeling it is definitely something new. Either way, it sounds great - and great music is great music.
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    On the new song, I love it. It's weird trying to think of it as the same band, sounds like them, and the new singer has a similar voice to Shannon's, so it feels familiar - but at the same time you have that feeling it is definitely something new. Either way, it sounds great - and great music is great music.

I know what you mean completely.
    As much as I love the fact that Blind Melon's back together. It just feels odd knowing it's not Shannon. But, it does sound great!
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    Trailer wrote:
    Dave Abbrusse (sp.) from PJ on drums

I believe it was Dave Krusen on Drums for United Theory...some great songs. California was a favorite.

That album was released 7 years ago this week (I had a promo poster). :)

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Unified Theory was a good album, and it was definitely Dave Krusen on drums, not Abruzzesse. I never thought the singer sounded that much like Shannon, though. I always thought he sounded more like Jeff Buckley.

On topic, I wish they'd go ahead and put the new album out. I can't wait to hear it.
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,113
    can someone snag the track? pre-thanks
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    I believe it was Dave Krusen on Drums for United Theory...some great songs. California was a favorite.
    PBM

Yeah you're right... I knew it was one of the Dave's:)... and yes California is a great song!
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • This makes me sad. I can't believe how many people are okay with them calling themselves Blind Melon without Shannon. :(
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • don't hate me but it sorta sucks and the singer tries to get that hoon sounding tone in parts of the song which is stupid..be yourself dude. never try to sound like a dead lead singer in the band he came from...creepy and disrespectful. for my friends is pretty good but the voice bugs me..not shannon for sure but way too similiar..i think if i seen them live and they played an old song from the hoon days i might flip out and start crying!!
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • JSP552003JSP552003 Posts: 222
    not sure if anyone has mentioned this on the board yet but did anyone else notice the album/release date for "For My Friends"?

Chinese Dentistry

haha
    don't hate me but it sorta sucks and the singer tries to get that hoon sounding tone in parts of the song which is stupid..be yourself dude. never try to sound like a dead lead singer in the band he came from...creepy and disrespectful. for my friends is pretty good but the voice bugs me..not shannon for sure but way too similiar..i think if i seen them live and they played an old song from the hoon days i might flip out and start crying!!

Actually I seem to remember hearing the guy sing in his old band, and he sounded pretty much the same - I guess that's why they chose him, so it was recognisable as Blind Melon. The song is undeniably good though.

*Here's his old band's myspace page, you can hear some of their old songs, he sounds just the same.

http://myspace.com/rainfurrent
  • This makes me sad. I can't believe how many people are okay with them calling themselves Blind Melon without Shannon. :(

Alice in Chains did it, AC/DC did it, and Blind Melon is not as big as either of those two bands.
    NERDS!
    This makes me sad. I can't believe how many people are okay with them calling themselves Blind Melon without Shannon. :(

Let's not rehash our debates. ;)

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    Actually I seem to remember hearing the guy sing in his old band, and he sounded pretty much the same - I guess that's why they chose him, so it was recognisable as Blind Melon. The song is undeniably good though.

*Here's his old band's myspace page, you can hear some of their old songs, he sounds just the same.

(hey, no link)

Yeah, they were called Rain Fur Rent, and the songs they have up are indeed kick ass
    PJ-Sin wrote:
    (hey, no link)

Yeah, they were called Rain Fur Rent, and the songs they have up are indeed kick ass

You're quite right, it was early morning for me when I posted last! Here's the link for anyone interested: http://myspace.com/rainfurrent
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Holy shit that's amazing!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Alice in Chains did it, AC/DC did it, and Blind Melon is not as big as either of those two bands.

It doesn't make it right. I don't think AIC should be called AIC either & well, I never liked AC/DC so I don't give a rats ass about them.

I thought the hardcore Melon fans woulda really been against this. I do know quite a few who are, but the amount who accept it, knowing all Shannon put into that band, amazes me. Shannon is irreplaceable, & it's an insult to him & the fans to go on pretending they're the same band. They shoulda changed their name, played their music with their wannabe 25 year old singer, went on their merry way & left the Blind Melon name alone & un-tarnished. I hate hearing people say "Blind Melon" & having to wonder of they mean the real or the fake.

Sorry PBM, my stance will never change on this.

There's gonna be a little extra saddness when I go out to the vigil for what woulda been Shannon's 40th bday this year...
    It doesn't make it right. I don't think AIC should be called AIC either & well, I never liked AC/DC so I don't give a rats ass about them.

I thought the hardcore Melon fans woulda really been against this. I do know quite a few who are, but the amount who accept it, knowing all Shannon put into that band, amazes me. Shannon is irreplaceable, & it's an insult to him & the fans to go on pretending they're the same band. They shoulda changed their name, played their music with their wannabe 25 year old singer, went on their merry way & left the Blind Melon name alone & un-tarnished. I hate hearing people say "Blind Melon" & having to wonder of they mean the real or the fake.

Sorry PBM, my stance will never change on this.

There's gonna be a little extra saddness when I go out to the vigil for what woulda been Shannon's 40th bday this year...

I understand where you are coming from, but have you never heard the term 'Life's too short'? Shannon ultimately chose his fate, sad as that may be, and essentially robbed his band of a future. I do get slightly narked by the amount of people who put these singers up there like they're some kind of saint or something. Yes Shannon, Layne etc were undeniably gifted people, and no it won't be the same without them, but if a band find someone who they think can capture the essence of what the band is about, then who are we to judge them? No matter how much you think you miss these people or respect them, the members of these bands will miss them and respect them far more than you or I ever will because it was their friends that died, not ours. And with that in mind, I think their decision to carry on should be respected.

Would Blind Melon be fake if it had been the drummer or bass player who died instead of Shannon, and they had replaced that member? Should they still have stopped being a band? I think people need to stop idolising these singers and realise that they were just people - the same as you or I, completely falable like the rest of us.

You say the Blind Melon name is now tarnished, and call the new singer a wannabe, but how much do you really know about him? By the sound of the new song he sounds like a very gifted singer in his own right, the lyrics seem decent enough and it still feels like a Blind Melon song - a very good Blind Melon song in fact.

Like I said, life is way too short, considering all the people dying around the world, natural disasters etc, in the grand scheme of things a band regrouping with a decent new singer is hardly crime of the century.
  • ac/dc was the only band i can think of at the moment where the replacement singer actually worked out. by winning over the fans and making music as good as with the previous singer. and at the time of bon scotts death ac/dc weren't actually very well known in the u.s. and the first release with brian johnson was one hell of a rocking fucking kick off to keep the ball rolling. but i think it'd be really hard to fill the shoes of layne or shannon and to show respect as plant page and jones did for bonham...let the band names rest as well.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
    but i think it'd be really hard to fill the shoes of layne or shannon and to show respect as plant page and jones did for bonham...let the band names rest as well.

I think each situation is different though. I remember when dave Grohl came out with Foo Fighters barely a year after Kurt died, and there were a number of people who thought that was disrespectful. But people move on in different ways, perhaps the Zeppelin well was running dry by the time Bonham died anyway? The point I was making in my other post, is that the musicians left are ultimately the ones who decide, and really if they are ok with it then theoretically I don't see why anyone else should have a problem with it. If the new music isn't as good, THEN people have the choice to stop listening or caring about the music. In this instance, I find it hard to think anyone would say the new Blind Melon song is anything less than solid, and if that's an indication of what the album's going to be like, it should be great.

I'll reiterate my stance. I'm a huge Blind Melon fan...ever since I got the first disc back in '93. I'm extremely excited for Rogers, Brad, Chris and Glen. They, respectfully, distanced themselves from the Blind Melon name...tried other projects (including producing...check out American Minor). But, they wanted to perform their songs again.

Blind Melon is a brand name...they helped establish it. They are going to get more exposure by using the name. I don't think they are being disrespectful to Shannon or the name...they just want to carry on with the music and hopefully, pick up new fans in the process.

I was sad in '95 and I'm sad today that we lost Shannon, but he made his choice. His family and friends were left to deal with all the pieces he left behind.

If you're going to be upset at someone, be upset at Shannon for throwing away years of some potentially great music.

mouthfulofsoup, we're not going to change each other's minds on this topic, but I hope you come around and give the band a chance. :)

PBM

• Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    I think 12 years later the remaining Melons and their fans owe it to themselves to give this new singer a shot...especially under the name Blind Melon. 12 years is long enough. No they'll never replace Hoon, but let's see how far they want to take this. The remaining members have to feel blessed that they have a cult-like fan base that are willing to end the grieving process and move forward. I know I'm ready.
    I love to turn you on
  • Am I mad at him for leaving?...of course. But anyone who has dealt with any type of addiction knows it's easier said than done to stop. He didn't choose to leave, he just lost the battle. I will never "come around" on this. The guys are like 40 now, & they get some 25 year old singer? Yes, I'm sorry that is trying to replace what they had. You can't recreate the chemistry those guys had together...& well, if this song is as great as everyone is saying , then good for them, & I mean that. They deserve to be happy & make music & have a great time...But someone else singing those songs that Shannon poured his heart & soul into? I don't agree with that at all. "Blind Melon" is more than just a "brand name", it's everything that band was.

& I know that they were personal friends with Shannon & I'm not comparing my loss to theirs by any means...I just hope when this doesn't work out & they see an album in stores down the road titled "Blind Melon" without Shannon they can look at themselves in the mirror.
    But anyone who has dealt with any type of addiction knows it's easier said than done to stop. He didn't choose to leave, he just lost the battle.

When you have a daughter at home and a successful career, you can take measures to beat your addiction...find the priorities in your life. It's not easy to end an addiction, but it's selfish to continue and ultimately destroys/damages more than just one life.

But someone else singing those songs that Shannon poured his heart & soul into? I don't agree with that at all. "Blind Melon" is more than just a "brand name", it's everything that band was.

Again, the rest of the band had their careers stopped short because of Shannon. If "Blind Melon" or the songs he poured his soul were that important to him, he would be here today...on stage...singing them.

You like to give Shannon a free pass on this issue and I strongly disagree with you on this.

*again mouthfulofsoup, this is a debate we share and there is no ill feelings geared towards you*

PBM

The guys are like 40 now, & they get some 25 year old singer? Yes, I'm sorry that is trying to replace what they had. You can't recreate the chemistry those guys had together...& well, if this song is as great as everyone is saying , then good for them, & I mean that. They deserve to be happy & make music & have a great time...But someone else singing those songs that Shannon poured his heart & soul into? I don't agree with that at all.

Dude are you not familiar with the word 'empathy'? Some singers are incredibly gifted in that they can totally take on the emotion of another person's words. A prime example would be Jeff Buckley covering Hallelujah, or pretty much anything Eva Cassidy played. What about bands like the Manic Street Preachers, whose singer never wrote the lyrics?

You keep coming back to this new guy's age, but I think most 25 year olds have a reasonable amount of life experience - hell Eddie Vedder was about that age when Ten came out, and his writing even back then was very deep and meaningful. At the end of the day I'm sure they were just looking for the best fit - which by the sounds of it, they found.

You implied in your post that you haven't even heard the new song? Perhaps I'm wrong, but you should at least give it a listen before forming such a strong opinion.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Look

for all the people anti new aic, new blind melon... whatever.. if you dont agree dont go see them.

I think its a great idea for them to reform becuase i can finally see the bands who i love and i never thought i would ever see them due to the death of a band member.

These guys just want to rock out again..and celebrate the music that they once made with the person who died.... also remember these people make money through playing music so dont blame them for wanting to make more music.
  • Dude are you not familiar with the word 'empathy'? Some singers are incredibly gifted in that they can totally take on the emotion of another person's words. A prime example would be Jeff Buckley covering Hallelujah, or pretty much anything Eva Cassidy played. What about bands like the Manic Street Preachers, whose singer never wrote the lyrics?

You keep coming back to this new guy's age, but I think most 25 year olds have a reasonable amount of life experience - hell Eddie Vedder was about that age when Ten came out, and his writing even back then was very deep and meaningful. At the end of the day I'm sure they were just looking for the best fit - which by the sounds of it, they found.

You implied in your post that you haven't even heard the new song? Perhaps I'm wrong, but you should at least give it a listen before forming such a strong opinion.

I'm not saying a 25 year old isn't deep...Hell, Shannon had just turned 28 when he died. My point was that they are older now, & obviously trying to recreate what they had with a younger singer.

I haven't heard the new song, I'm deciding whether I can stomach it...I just about puked when I decided to watch the "Harmful Belly" video & heard that singer singing "laughing from the inside out" as he left the room.

& PBM, it's cool...I know we always agree to disagree. ;)