Is the STP reunion that big of a deal?

2»

Comments

• btb002 wrote:
    I was a huge STP fan when they broke up in 2002 or 2003. Looking back to that time, I remember a band that was pretty much struggling. They had the hugh comeback with Sour Girl that boosted the sales of No. 4 to platinum. Then they headed into the studios to record Shangri-La and it was downhill from there. I thought the album should have done better than what it turned out to do, personally. The band thought they had at least five singles on the record. Only two saw decent time on the radio. It managed to move only 500k in a year that saw the most albums in history sold. They lost footing to nu metal acts. They weren't as successful as the other developed bands, i.e. Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Radiohead, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, and Audioslave. Atlantic Records pretty much shelved Shangri-La, though it probably received the greatest amount of critical appeal.

They obviously have a lot still left to prove. But I don't really see where they can expect hugh demand for shows outside the festival circuit. Have the years passed made the general masses opinion kinder? Do people just remember them for Core and Purple now? Why is there an excitement in their base that wasn't there five or six years ago?

And lastly, are you guys excited?
    I have the opposite opinion really. I thought they really started to take off with Tiny Music. The stuff before that really didn't distinguish them as a band at all. I Thought No 4 and Shangri-La were awesome, and I was sad when they broke up. It was premature, imo, unlike other bands like SoundGarden or Smashing Pumpkins.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Tiny Music is underrated and amazing

that was when i truly realized how incredible the Deleo brothers were
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!