Is the STP reunion that big of a deal?

btb002btb002 Posts: 183
edited February 2008 in Other Music
I was a huge STP fan when they broke up in 2002 or 2003. Looking back to that time, I remember a band that was pretty much struggling. They had the hugh comeback with Sour Girl that boosted the sales of No. 4 to platinum. Then they headed into the studios to record Shangri-La and it was downhill from there. I thought the album should have done better than what it turned out to do, personally. The band thought they had at least five singles on the record. Only two saw decent time on the radio. It managed to move only 500k in a year that saw the most albums in history sold. They lost footing to nu metal acts. They weren't as successful as the other developed bands, i.e. Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Radiohead, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, and Audioslave. Atlantic Records pretty much shelved Shangri-La, though it probably received the greatest amount of critical appeal.

They obviously have a lot still left to prove. But I don't really see where they can expect hugh demand for shows outside the festival circuit. Have the years passed made the general masses opinion kinder? Do people just remember them for Core and Purple now? Why is there an excitement in their base that wasn't there five or six years ago?

And lastly, are you guys excited?
You are just a negative mindless pud.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Probably not huge because it hasnt been that long since they broke up but Velvet Revolver is crap so I think this is a really good thing, I will be seeing them if they play a show near me.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    Yep Very Excited. Never had a chance to see them live on stage. Hopefully they ´ll play a big festival in Europe.
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    not really.
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Well, having heard the debut from Velvet Revolver I'm dubious about them being able to produce anything close to their first three records.

Shanrai-La seemed to be too commercially focused, catchy songs but commonplace sounding all the same.
    Probably won´t bother.
  • I'd rather go see STP than Velvet Revolver.
    rock bands may come and rock bands may go...
    but rock n roll will live forever! - ray davies
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I would love to see them in concert again....great live band.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • dude i cant wait to see them when they come around!!! and if they ever made an album!? damn... btw, i think shangri-la is their best album.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Never a fan, so it's not a big deal to me. With that being said I'm always happy for the folks who are obsessed with a ban that reunites, so enjoy the show everyone!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    i'd want to see them again solely because of the deleo brothers... i never got into army of anyone and velvet revolver is utter crap
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • I was a big STP fan through my childhood in the 90s. I never got to see them live. I saw Velvet Revolver in 2005 just to see Scott Weiland sing a few STP songs and I would love to see STP tour in 2008.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • not too big of a deal, but ive never seen them and want to. i feel they were pretty much spent when they broke up anyways and its only been 5 years since the break up, so i cant see it being a major thing. velvet revolver does suck.

i got a girlfriend, she goes to art school, i got a art school girlfriend, yeah.

I TOLD YOU FIVE AND FOUR TIMES..........
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • STP still have it in them to be a fucking great, and relevant band. They actually held their own pretty well during the rise of nu-metal/nu-grunge, and their sound is still very popular today - it's clearly influenced a lot of modern day artists. Shangri-La was a pretty poor record in my opinion, just a bit of a mess really. They just need to come back with some decent hard rocking catchy stuff.
  • If it's just a reunion tour, then no I don't think it's really that big of a deal. I'm happy for all the STP fans that get to see them again, but a reunion tour isn't going to significantly change the landscape of rock music.

Now, if they do the tour and decide to stay together and release one or more good, quality albums, then I'd say it's a big deal.
  • I loved Core and Purple, after that my interest tailled off. Having played a few covers of STP through the years in various attempts at pub bands, I would say they suffer from being too talented. Their songs tended to be a little more complex than the average rockers, and I think they suffered from having the ability to write good songs in a few too many styles, so the STP sound doesn't realyl exist, or not in the mind of the casual listener. They could sound like, Bowie, The Doors, Pearl Jam etc. but from what I know of them they rarely settled on a specific sound. You can call that following the commerical dollar, or being too experimental, but I see that as their problem.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    Live STP is awesome.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Live STP is awesome.

I'd be there at the drop of a hat. I've never been in the right place at the right time. Maybe thats why I lost interest in them.
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    I saw STP once. $35.00 and 2 hours of my life wasted.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Blind3 wrote:
    I saw STP once. $35.00 and 2 hours of my life wasted.

Conversely I saw them on the Shangri-La tour not really expecting much, and to this day it is one of the best shows I've ever seen. Weiland put on an unbelievable performance.

Whilst we're talking about all things STP, here's an awesome live performance of Sour Girl: http://youtube.com/watch?v=_5kzL93kk_E&feature=related I really can't get enough of this song.
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    if they do a lot of dates for a summer US tour, they will make BANK. don't kid yourselves, people will come out in droves to this band again. i will be one of them.
  • I'll be there at least one show, for sure. Looking forward more to a new record. The rumor that Kretz is doing pre-production at his studio for STP material once Scott is done with the VR tour seems just as solid as the tour rumors.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • I'm fucking stoked.....and will try to make as many shows as I can.
    "It's all happening"
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    uhhh am i the only moron who thought this question was hypothetical? ahaha I didn't know this was actually happening... fuck yeah!

i could see them doing lollapalooza....
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • dude i cant wait to see them when they come around!!! and if they ever made an album!? damn... btw, i think shangri-la is their best album.

ditto
    PEARL JAM~Lubbock, TX. 10~18~00
    PEARL JAM~San Antonio, TX. 4~5~03
    INCUBUS~Houston, TX. 1~19~07
    INCUBUS~Denver, CO. 2~8~07
    Lollapalooza~Chicago, IL. 8~5~07
    INCUBUS~Austin, TX. 9~3~07
    Bonnaroo~Manchester, TN 6~14~08
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I definitely think its a big deal. I will be at as many shows this summer as possible.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    I'd like to see STP again, but won't be too disappointed if I don't see them.

I saw them once at the Rolling Rock Town Fair in PA. Live played right before them and were better live (no pun intended) than STP. Scott & co did put on a decent show, but should have preceded Live that day.
  • NeilJam wrote:

I saw them once at the Rolling Rock Town Fair in PA. Live played right before them and were better live (no pun intended) than STP. Scott & co did put on a decent show, but should have preceded Live that day.

I was at RRTF as well, but disagree. Live was really good, but I thought STP blew the doors off the place (if it hadn't been outside).
  • NeilJam wrote:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EIQf_3Cw6Q4

This rolling rock show?! I've seen Live (the band) I'd be surprised if they could ever meet this level of brilliance, the crowd is awesome too, lots of energy.
  • stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    The hype and excitement that they might be getting back together has been HUGE. The numbers of people now visiting their website/myspace is ridiculous.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    purple is one of my favorite records

if they release a new record and its good, I will go

saw them before and they are very good live.

I wont go out of my way to go, but I would if it was convenient
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,267
    Get_Right wrote:
    purple is one of my favorite records

if they release a new record and its good, I will go

saw them before and they are very good live.

I wont go out of my way to go, but I would if it was convenient

yeah that's what i feel if they play somewhere convenient than i would consider attending ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....