Who has the better musical scene right now the UK or US

13»

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    PaulJam wrote:
    That's another thing. The British Style. We're the best.

My God she's hot http://www.eurobandits.com/lovingliving/issue_4/Long_Blondes_feature/story_images/3

As I was saying...great bands. Great style. What more do you want?

what are you... emo? who cares what the songs are like as long as they look good playing em right?
  • larslars Posts: 524
    uk bands always try to make it big in the us. Us bands don´t care about how popular they are in the uk. This means the us scene is better.
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
    lars wrote:
    uk bands always try to make it big in the us. Us bands don´t care about how popular they are in the uk. This means the us scene is better.
    I second that
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Jennytree wrote:
    In fairness though, I did try and listen to him before the whole junkie thing became something to brag about, so at least I gave him a fair trial and his music just wasn't for me... ye can't get fairer than that! Just cos he's a junkie doesn't mean his music is shit... I mean Layne Staley/RHCP etc... wrote some great songs while on drugs!

Fair enough if its not to your liking, i just hear people slating Pete Doherty/The libertines/Babyshambles quite a lot, and they all say the same thing first, that he is junkie scum, or something along those lines. I always say to them, i know he's a junkie, i just like the music he writes!

I love most of the music he has a part in, recently my friend sent me 9 new songs they have made. They are just accoustic recordings, although they are also being recorded with the full band, supposedly for a new album due out after mid 2007 (if that materialises!) and they are really very good, some of them really blowing me away actually! Pearl Jam are by far my favourite band, followed by Radiohead, but id have to put the Libs and Babyshambles right behind them.

I understand that different people have different tastes but i think that songs like Up the Bracket, Music when the Lights go out and more recently, Loyalty Song, must surely show that the guy is far from talentless, regardless of what he does with his private life.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
    lars wrote:

That doesnt mean the US scene is better at all. Its understandable that UK bands want to break through and be successful in the US because of the financial benefits. If a US band is big in the US then they are going to be successful regardless of UK interest.

Overall i just think that there are great bands from everywhere, and similarly, there are awful bands from everywhere.

Because im more familiar with bands in the UK i naturally prefer the scene here.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    The only british bands making music now that it can think of off the top of my head that get me going are radiohead and muse.

American bands that get me going- mastodon, mars volta, my morning jacket, built to spill, wilco, and many more

canadian band- arcade fire .. salavating for the neon bible album!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    The only british bands making music now that it can think of off the top of my head that get me going are radiohead and muse.

American bands that get me going- mastodon, mars volta, my morning jacket, built to spill, wilco, and many more

canadian band- arcade fire .. salavating for the neon bible album!

See i have never even heard of Mastodon, Built to Spill or Wilco. Ive heard of My Morning Jacket but havent heard of anything by them, and i dont like the Mars Volta at all.

Maybe other UK people who are more in touch with the international music scene will be more familiar with the bands you mention, but they certainly aren't well publicised over here.

You will probably not have heard of the UK bands that i am liking at the moment.

I will certainly have to give My Morning Jacket a listen, have heard a lot of people talking about them, and obviously Arcade Fire are great.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    stu gee wrote:
    See i have never even heard of Mastodon, Built to Spill or Wilco. Ive heard of My Morning Jacket but havent heard of anything by them, and i dont like the Mars Volta at all.

Maybe other UK people who are more in touch with the international music scene will be more familiar with the bands you mention, but they certainly aren't well publicised over here.
    Actually Mastodon are the most critically lauded metal band around at the moment, and I'm from the UK. I can never pick up a music magazine without reading about them. Leviathan was called the best metal album of 2004 by many UK music publications.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Actually Mastodon are the most critically lauded metal band around at the moment, and I'm from the UK. I can never pick up a music magazine without reading about them. Leviathan was called the best metal album of 2004 by many UK music publications.

I dont read any magazines, although i look at quite a lot of music forums, never metal bands though.

Ive never heard of them and havent read about them on any forums ive visited aside from this one, right now. As i said though, other people more in touch may have heard of them.
    stu gee wrote:
    That doesnt mean the US scene is better at all.
    Yes it does.
    lars wrote:
    Yes it does.

This could go on all day, so ill just say no it doesnt and then leave you in peace with your personal opinion.
    stu gee wrote:
    This could go on all day, so ill just say no it doesnt and then leave you in peace with your personal opinion.
    no you wont
  • PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    what are you... emo? who cares what the songs are like as long as they look good playing em right?

That's right fatty!
  • PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    lars wrote:

That, my friends, is logic!
    PaulJam wrote:
    That, my friends, is logic!
    Muchas gracias mi amigo con sombrero
  • ChrisChris Posts: 116
    Agreeing with an earlier post, Im a Brit who never listens to the radio - ever. Sanitised sh#te. Cant stand most UK indie music which gets considered rock music over here. The odd exception maybe,but IMHO the general rule.

I dont know why it is but I just prefer American music. I guess it takes me to places, maybe even glamourises places and people that aren't my norm. Most British music sounds like it could be written and sung by a few of my mates (maybe a little harsh but you get my point) which isnt really what Im after.

Having said that, Im off to see a good solid British rock band in a bit called Hundred Reasons. Yet another example of a good British band who have a good debut, do OK but get dropped because they dont sell millions. Its very rare that a British rock band (or any nationality for that matter) sells in the UK and they just get shafted.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Neither. Everybody knows that Canada currently has the best music scene on the planet.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Neither. Everybody knows that Canada currently has the best music scene on the planet.
    What does canada have besides alanis morisette?
    Arcade fire are austrian....thats a fact
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    lars wrote:
    What does canada have besides alanis morisette?
    Arcade fire are austrian....thats a fact

Refer to post #17 in this thread to answer your question......no Alanis on that list.
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Todd76 wrote:
    Refer to post #17 in this thread to answer your question......no Alanis on that list.

What he said.

And if I may, I'd like to add a few more to that list:

Cuff the Duke
    Sam Roberts
    Ron Hawkins (formerly of Lowest of the Low)
    Chris Brown & Kate Fenner
    Greg Macpherson Band
    Danny Michel
    Hugh Dillon Redemption Choir
    Neil Young (he's still going strong)
    K-OS
    C'mon
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    What he said.

And if I may, I'd like to add a few more to that list:

Cuff the Duke
    Sam Roberts
    Ron Hawkins (formerly of Lowest of the Low)
    Chris Brown & Kate Fenner
    Greg Macpherson Band
    Danny Michel
    Hugh Dillon Redemption Choir
    Neil Young (he's still going strong)
    K-OS
    C'mon
    I think you forgot this new band..."The apocalyptic south emerging the boundaries of north" (from ontario, probably). I heard they play progressive canadian metal.
  • MJSB74MJSB74 Posts: 75
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I've always much preferred American music to be honest. While a lot of the underground stuff in the UK is brilliant, the mainstream stuff that gets played on the radio is, almost without exception, shite. I can't stand any of the arty-punk indie bands like Bloc Party, The Futureheads, Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian or any of those bands. All this bullshit about them writing songs about every day life and mundane things is rubbish. They say nothing to me about my life (thanks Morrissey, incidentally The Smiths being the only GREAT mainstream UK indie band).

Spot on. Ive always preferred American bands. British music is usually overhyped shite. Lots of style and absolutely no substance.Or tunes.(im from UK in case that makes a difference.......)