Bands With Potential.

josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,242
edited February 2007 in Other Music
ok so let's name some w/potential/talent but just never progressed further in their careers .??
[1] SPIN DOCTORS what ever happened .

[2] BIG COUNTRY scottish i know lead singer/guitarist commited suicide but they were really good ......what are yours people ??
jesus greets me looks just like me ....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    ok so let's name some w/potential/talent but just never progressed further in their careers .??

[2] BIG COUNTRY scottish i know lead singer/guitarist commited suicide but they were really good ......what are yours people ??
    I second that on Spin Doctors. I heard the singer got some throat disease that fucked him up. He's back now though and they tour a bit.

also, what ever happened to Babylon Zoo ;):D
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    spin doctors is a great choice. their first album was so good.

im gonna add radiohead. poised to be one of the best rock bands ever, thom decided he had more fun twiddling dials and stroking his own ego.
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    Zebrahead!

wasted mind is freaking awesome.. newest album Broadcast to the world is great too!

RATM meets punk/reggae! fun band live
  • 3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    RATM. I say this b/c their first record was fresh and original, but the two other albums they released sounded just like a re-hash of the first album.

Also, Morcheeba. Great first 2 albums, then they descended into mediocrity. Same with Air. Tremendous first album and then the score for Virgin Suicides was top notch. Then they have just fizzled. Talkie Walkie was okay, but nothing as interesting as those first two. Perhaps Pocket Symphony will lift them out of their rut.
    Live Free or Die!
  • Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jimi Hendrix...

They could have done SOOO much more.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Alice In Chains
    Blind Melon
    Sublime
    Jimi Hendrix
    Nirvana
    Mad Season
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Jeff Buckley
    Candlebox
    The Verve
    Mother Love Bone
    Creed (let me explain). Their first album was awesome. Had they kept up the way they were going with that, they would've been far more respected.

X-Cops (GWAR side project). They released "You Have the Right to Remain Silent" and then went back to GWAR. They should've kept it up for at least another album.
    I'll cut you in.
  • spin doctors is a great choice. their first album was so good.

im gonna add radiohead. poised to be one of the best rock bands ever, thom decided he had more fun twiddling dials and stroking his own ego.
    I disagree. Radiohead have nothing but PROVEN their potential and longevity by changing their styles so dramatically every album.

There are a few bands poised on real importance now..

Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Kings of Leon, Strokes.. they're so close to being just remarkable,.. all they've gotta do is stick it out. All three bands are showing progression.. not sticking to their comfort zone - really pushing it sometimes. It's a very optimistic trio. :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Autopilot Off - Their EP was INCREDIBLE. The last album was really good to, sad to say they broke up recently.

Days of the New - First and second album were a good start to a long career, the third was the end of that career.

Just 2 off the top of my head.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• Days of the New...good one! I can't believe I forgot about them! That self titled album is a masterpiece.
    I'll cut you in.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Jeff Buckley
    Candlebox
    The Verve
    Mother Love Bone
    Creed (let me explain). Their first album was awesome. Had they kept up the way they were going with that, they would've been far more respected.

X-Cops (GWAR side project). They released "You Have the Right to Remain Silent" and then went back to GWAR. They should've kept it up for at least another album.
    great call on Jeff Buckley and Mother Love Bone (my one "what could have been" band)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Jeff Buckley
    Television
    Rancid
    Weezer
    Cypress Hill
    Dismemberment Plan
    Q and not U
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • Brainofdz wrote:
    Rancid

I'm baffled! Indestructable was probably their best album yet. Their live show is amazing. Every album is practically a 10. Looking forward to the new stuff coming out. One of my favorite bands ever.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• im gonna add radiohead. poised to be one of the best rock bands ever, thom decided he had more fun twiddling dials and stroking his own ego.

yeah, im also going to have to respectfully COMPLETELY disagree with this too. they've already proved themselves.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,242
    NickyNooch wrote:
    I'm baffled! Indestructable was probably their best album yet. Their live show is amazing. Every album is practically a 10. Looking forward to the new stuff coming out. One of my favorite bands ever.
    yeah that's what i thought ,i meant bands that just fall off the cliffside so i won't consider RANCID to be one of them....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    yeah that's what i thought ,i meant bands that just fall off the cliffside so i won't consider RANCID to be one of them....

In my opinion, the albums have fallen off significantly since "And Out Come the Wolves"

Just my opinion
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

yeah, im also going to have to respectfully COMPLETELY disagree with this too. they've already proved themselves.

proved themselves by making 2 of the best rock albums ever and then pissing it away to become a mediocre electronica group? sure.

elliott smith. another one taken before his time. basement on a hill was one of his best so it didnt look like he was losing anything with age.
  • I think Jeff Buckley pretty much takes this thread hands down.

I am going to throw out Slobberbone, if anyone knows who they are. They made 4 great records that no one ever heard (except for DBT fans). Now they are reformed with three of the members as The Drams, but it just isn't the same.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Pond. 2 amazing albums, one lackluster one and they called it quits. Best band from the early 90's no-one ever seems to know.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    How about Nick Drake? Pink Moon was, imo, easily his best album. Then he records a few demo tunes months later and dies. Listen to those demos. Imagine a whole album like that.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • DELETEDDELETED Posts: 421
  • Ya, seeing as the last 2 recordings Nirvana made were, IMO the best... the next record could have been fucking amazing.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I know they've been said, but I agree with Jeff Buckley and Days of the New. Jeff, obviously cause he died. And Days, that first album was so fucking incredible, and the next two were also not bad, but Travis Meeks just couldn't keep it together.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • ok so let's name some w/potential/talent but just never progressed further in their careers .??

I vote a big NO!!! on the Spin Doctors. Every song seemed to sound the same for me.

I would have loved to have heard more from Stone Roses. I think "Second Coming" is an incredible album

Blind Melon as well.
    "She knows there is no success like failure
    And that failure's no success at all."

"Don't ya think its sometimes wise not to grow up."

"Cause life ain't nothing but a good groove
    A good mixed tape to put you in the right mood."
  • BinFrog wrote:
    How about Nick Drake? Pink Moon was, imo, easily his best album. Then he records a few demo tunes months later and dies. Listen to those demos. Imagine a whole album like that.
    Sounds a lot like Buckley's "Sketches for my sweetheart the drunk".

"Make our day"
  • DELETEDDELETED Posts: 421
  • Ditto, I think about that everytime I listen to them :( Sad, sad, sad.
    The more into the Pixies Kurt got the more original and brilliant the music got. If he'd been around to make more albums no one would be able to call him overrated I think.

"Make our day"
  • sebaarg88sebaarg88 Posts: 1,277
    Jeff Buckley
    only love can break your heart
    but only love can brake your fall
    The more into the Pixies Kurt got the more original and brilliant the music got. If he'd been around to make more albums no one would be able to call him overrated I think.

yeah but if he'd been around to make more albums i doubt nirvana would be as highly rated as they are now anyway ;) it'd probly be aic instead... maybe i should add them. they never did release enough material if you ask me, and i got the feeling they were only getting better as they aged.
    Joy Division
    Buffalo Springfield
    Cream
    The Sex Pistols
    Nas
    Biggie Smalls