Options

Stone Temple Pilots

dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
edited January 2006 in Other Music
Whats everyones opinion of STP? I know when they first came out they were labeled as a PJ rip off and everything. I really don't see the comparison though? Anyways, they're one of my top 3 favourite bands of all time. They're so damn good. Scott Weiland is just amazing.

I think their best cd is Purple. But Core is awesome too.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    they were great. i like all thier albums
    no son personas, son mujeres
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    Whats everyones opinion of STP? I know when they first came out they were labeled as a PJ rip off and everything. I really don't see the comparison though? Anyways, they're one of my top 3 favourite bands of all time. They're so damn good. Scott Weiland is just amazing.

I think their best cd is Purple. But Core is awesome too.

yeh man me too, i think they are in my top 5 bands.
  • Options
    STP was a great band, and they are in my top ten favorite bands for sure. I do understand how people thought they were a Pearl Jam rip off when they first arrived. Have you listened to Core? That album has all the same elements as Ten. Core was not as good as Ten, but a pretty damn good album as were basically the rest of their albums.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Mad overrated round these parts, but they have a few songs I really like. I have one album and I don't think I want anymore
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    They always did nothing for me, actually can't bare 'em, and for many years I thought it was natural from every PJ fan to dismiss them... but to each his own is what I say
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Options
    I don't know a lot of their songs, I've listened to a few but they havent drawn me in.
    Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?
  • Options
    amentvedderamentvedder Posts: 3,610
    Cue..... stpmattb lol........ :D
  • Options
    For those of you looking for a good STP dvd, get their best of cd....the DVD is fucking packed with awesome stuff. Theres about an hour of bootleg concert footage, then another hour of professionally filmed concert footage, plus all their music videos. ITs well worth the price..(which isnt much)
    the oceans made me, but who came up with love?
  • Options
    prljam85prljam85 Posts: 227
    none of my friends like them but i think stp is a pretty cool band
  • Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    A good singles band, but the rest of their albums usually did nothing for me.
  • Options
    stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    I don't see any real similarities in STP and Pearl Jam. Core doesn't remind me of Ten. Purple doesn't remind me of Vs. and so on. STP changed with each album and kept things interesting - you never knew what kind of sound they were going to come out with.

They were hardly a singles band - a few of their singles were the worst tracks on the albums (I'm looking at you Sour Girl and Days of the Week).

I've never see anyone own a live show the way Scott Weiland does. He's an animal on stage.

I love both STP and Pearl Jam very much...I know there are others on here who feel the same way.
  • Options
    I feel Album No. 4 is very underrated. But I also feel Shangrala is terrible. Core and Purple are fantastic. And Tiny music is right in the middle, has some really good songs, and some not so good songs. Probably in order: Core, Purple, 4, Tiny Music, anything else, Shangrala
  • Options
    stpmattb wrote:
    I've never see anyone own a live show the way Scott Weiland does. He's an animal on stage.

Agreed. I saw them in Grand Rapids back in '96; the arena was 3/4 full and they still brought all their energy. Weiland is one hell of a frontman. I dig Velvet Revolver solely because of him.

I really liked their last album as well. Their was one song that I didn't like, but I think it grew on me. Anyway, good stuff all around.
  • Options
    I also feel Shangrala is terrible.

have you heard Bi-Polar Bear from that one?
    no son personas, son mujeres
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Rocking good band.....very solid.....I enjoyed all of their albums.

Anybody remember a concert that was broadcast on VH1 around the time of "No. 4"??? Very good show.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    have you heard Bi-Polar Bear from that one?

Yeah, its alright. I prefer Wonderful on that album though. There are some songs that are listenable, but as an album, at least comparing it to other STP albums, it is very very lacking.
  • Options
    genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    I heard an interview with them waaaay back when they first came out.
    Scott said he loved Pearl Jam and wanted to mimick Eddies voice.
    I think thats why people compare the two. Same thing with Creed.

I agree that I enjoyed thier songs one by one but never adored a whole album.
    A good band if they could keep thier shit together,
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    i love, love, love STP. brilliant music to me. adore it all, and what a live show! weiland is indeed such a frontman! sure, he was just as good when i saw him with his newest band, velvet revolver...but being that i was never a GnR fan.....just doesn't really do much for me. i miss STP. good thing we at least have a good # of excellent albums to always listen to.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    I fuckin love STP and always have, right from the first day i heard " Purple " . One of my favorite albums of all time. Also love " Velvet Revolver " . Scott is that man.

I also got his solo album, different but i love it
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • Options
    STP was the shit back in the day!!! I thought Purple was their best album, but Number 4 was really good too!! I love Glide, Pruno, and Atlanta from Number 4, excellent songs!!! Core kicked ass, Shangrila was good, and Tiny Music...like someone said earlier had good songs and decent songs.

Velvet Revolver kicks ass too!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    vedderwoodvedderwood Posts: 2,029
    STP kicks ass!!!!! I really wish that they were still together!
    DC 6/14/98
    NJ 8/28 & 8/29/98
    NJ 9/1 & 9/2/00
    PA 4/28/03
    NJ 7/5 & 7/6/03
    NY 7/8/03
    PA 7/12/03
    PA 10/1/04
    DC 10/11/04
    NJ 9/30 & 10/1/05
    PA 10/3/05
    NJ 5/27 & 5/28/06
    DC 5/30/06
    NJ 6/1 & 6/3/06
    WA 7/22 & 7/23/06
    IL 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19 & 6/20/08
    DC 6/22/08
    NY 6/24 & 6/25/08
    NY 7/1/08
    PA 10/27, 10/28, 10/30 & 10/31/09
  • Options
    DeeveDeeve Posts: 122
    STP is the shit man....

I bought Purple way back and that was it. I listened to that album till I couldnt take it anymore. Fantastic stuff.

Then I got core a few years ago. Core is the most intense thing I had ever listened to.

I am smellin' like the rose
    that somebody gave me on
    my birthday deathbed
    I am smellin' like the rose
    that somebody gave me
    'cause I'm dead & bloated

When I first heard this I nearly cried. I never listened to STP, PJ or anything from this era/genre when it came out. I didnt start listening to this till around 98/99 (except Purple which I bought in 96 or so). I missed out when it happened and it made me sad.

I thought tiny music was the weakest. No. 4 had the rockinest opener ever. Shangrila was unmemorable but not bad. Core fuckin rocked ass .... hard. Purple was just unfuckingbelievable, not a bad song on the whole cd. Sigh. Why do drugs have to fuck frontmen up so bad.
    "Lick the dirt off Olajuwon's feet"
  • Options
    vedderwood wrote:
    STP kicks ass!!!!! I really wish that they were still together!

Well, they haven't technically broken up, they're just on break bc Scott's working with Velvet Revolver.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    Im an oddity of a STP fan...theyre in my top ten, i love the band...but i just dont like core as an album. there are some great tracks there but thats actually the only STP album I cant listen to from beginning to end. Whereas most fans hate or dislike or dont care much for No4 and Shangri La, those two are my absolute favorites. I think they are incredible albums that are extremely overrated. Purple is also extremely good, as is Tiny Music.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    STP is my favorite band, with PJ and Zeppelin coming it at numbers two and three. I love STP I have been a huge fan for about ten years. All of thier albums sound amazing to me. And I have never understood the comparisons to PJ. I think that albums like Tiny Music couldn't sound less like Pearl Jam. I hope that sometime in the near future they can get back together.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    i love STP, thye were my favorite band for years, pj #2,. when core first came out i was in love with it and listened to it everyday, it was the first album i ever bought.
    it was only around 1998 that pj edged out stp as my favorite band. i really never got the comparison between them being grunge rip offs, because i always thought they had their own musical style, i was highly upset when they broke up, hopefull a reunion is not that far away
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    "He's a man.....cracker man....."
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    Stone Temple Pilots was such an amazing band. Great songs and great live performances. Scott Weiland is definitely a "rock star" which may be why some people don't care for him.

I also like Velvet Revolver. I've seen both bands and both shows were fantastic.

I hope that one day Stone Temple Pilots reunites!
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479

I also like Velvet Revolver. I've seen both bands and both shows were fantastic.

I'v seen VR a couple times now. They put on a good show with alot of energy, but I wish they'd have a more clearer sound live. Some of the songs don't sound that good live. I can't seem to put my finger on it about why they sound bad sometimes. I'm not sure if its the vocals are to quiet? Or if theres just to much distortion with the guitars or what?

Like I remember the second time I saw them they played a fast version of Use To Love Her. I didn't know what song it was until the course.

It just sucks on their next tour they probably won't play any STP or GnR anymore. Those were always the best songs to hear live. Espically Mr. Brownstone. Thats such a bad ass song.
  • Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    I'v seen VR a couple times now. They put on a good show with alot of energy, but I wish they'd have a more clearer sound live. Some of the songs don't sound that good live. I can't seem to put my finger on it about why they sound bad sometimes. I'm not sure if its the vocals are to quiet? Or if theres just to much distortion with the guitars or what?

Like I remember the second time I saw them they played a fast version of Use To Love Her. I didn't know what song it was until the course.

It just sucks on their next tour they probably won't play any STP or GnR anymore. Those were always the best songs to hear live. Espically Mr. Brownstone. Thats such a bad ass song.

I saw VR once and I partially agree with you on the sound. I noticed the first 5 or so songs were definately 'warm up' songs...Weiland was a bit sloppy and the overall sound was a bit off. However, as the night went on it just got better and better, especially when Scott and Slash did a moving rendition of Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" and the band rocked out "Sex Type Thing" and some GnR tunes towards the end. I think they'll still cover like that next tour...it's not like they'll need the filler anymore, but I think they know the fans like hearing those in addition to the VR tunes. I'd expect them to drop Contraband tracks(I believe they played 11/13 of em when I saw em) before they completely drop the covers.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.