Options

Classic rock

pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
edited May 2006 in Other Music
Basically I've really been into anything that resembles classic rock and amazing lead guitarists. I've just started building my collection of Led Zeppelin (have I, II, and IV) so I'm going to work my way up through that. What I was wondering is where should I go next? As I said, I'm looking for stuff with some amazing guitar work in some form or another. Where should I go next exactly? Oh, and another thing I really like is when the vocalist has a lot of passion in his voice like Robert Plant or Eddie Vedder. I'm still relatively new to music and I've only begun to build my CD collection. I've seemingly gone through waves of liking a music genre and right now I'm kind of in this classic rock phase. I'll be writing down the bands you guys list and checking them out so let loose.
Pearl Jam Album Rankings
---
1. Ten
2. Vs.
3. Pearl Jam
4. Binaural
5. No Code
6. Riot Act
7. Yield
8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
---
1. Black
2. Rearviewmirror
3. Light Years
4. Given to Fly
5. Severed Hand
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JPS79JPS79 Posts: 148
    You are off to a good start imo, but what about Led Zep 3 (my personal fave) or houses of the holy? Pink Floyd darkside,wish you were here,the wall, then I skip all the way to momentary lapse of reason and the division bell. So many artists spring to mind, my corner stones are Led Zep,Pink Floyd,Tom Petty.The Beatles (Just recently got into them and I'm 26!). Dad's fave group and always heard the stuff growing up but you know rebel kid doesn't want to like parents music till they grow up and realize what they've been missing. Oh well better now than never.
    Seems the more you make
    equals the loneliness you get
  • Options
    JPS79 wrote:
    You are off to a good start imo, but what about Led Zep 3 (my personal fave) or houses of the holy? Pink Floyd darkside,wish you were here,the wall, then I skip all the way to momentary lapse of reason and the division bell. So many artists spring to mind, my corner stones are Led Zep,Pink Floyd,Tom Petty.The Beatles (Just recently got into them and I'm 26!). Dad's fave group and always heard the stuff growing up but you know rebel kid doesn't want to like parents music till they grow up and realize what they've been missing. Oh well better now than never.

That's pretty much me right there, haha. Led Zep is my dad's favorite band and I made fun of them for a long time. Just recently I gave in and bought those three CD's I mentioned. I'm going to pick up III next and then probably go in order from there. Their first CD is probably my favorite so far. Next up I was going to check out Pink Floyd because that's my dad's other favorite band and again, I love guitars. After that is where I'm at a loss.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    Pink Floyd!!!!
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Frank Zappa
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    EbizzieEbizzie Posts: 240
    Can't go wrong with Floyd, but some other options may include other staples, like:

The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    The Allman Brothers Band
    Black Sabbath
    as mentioned before, The Beatles (Rubber Soul and later)

a cool blues album from the early '60s that's easy to get into would be The Paul Butterfield Blues Band (self-titled). some nice guitar work on there, overall killah vibe if you're looking for that 60's feeling

If you dig Floyd you could start checking out other psychedelic bands like Iron Butterfly or King Crimson. Grateful Dead had some great music but I don't know if they'd fit the heaviness that you seem to be looking for.

Jesus man, there was so much great music made in the 60's and 70's, it's impossible to really tell you what to get.
    "Worse than traitors in arms are the men who pretend loyalty to the flag, feast and fatten on the misfortunes of the nation while patriotic blood is crimsoning the plains." -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    The Who
    Pink Floyd
    the Doors
    Beatles
    Hendrix
  • Options
    Physical Graffiti will blow you away!
    Casper, WY 06/16/95
    Park City, UT 06/21/98
    Mountain View, CA 06/01/03
    San Diego, CA 07/07/06
    San Francisco, CA 07/15/06
  • Options
    Yeah, I missed out on a lot in those eras of music. Heavy music isn't a necessity really. I also have found that recently I've kind of enjoyed some of the more blues-y like songs from Led Zep. I'll be checking a few of these bands/artists out that were mentioned.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    lumpyfredlumpyfred Posts: 243
    Some albums I would suggest are

Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard
    The Doors - The Doors
    Dire Straits - Dire Straits
    Frank Zappa - Zoot Allures
    AC/DC - Powerage
    Rush - 2112
    The Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed
    Judas Priest - British Steel
    Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
    Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    Aerosmith - Get Your Wings
    Beatles - The White Album

I think these albums are good starting places for building your collection. I know I forgot some but maybe these will help.
    Her?
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    lumpyfred wrote:
    Some albums I would suggest are

Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard
    The Doors - The Doors
    Dire Straits - Dire Straits
    Frank Zappa - Zoot Allures
    AC/DC - Powerage
    Rush - 2112
    The Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed
    Judas Priest - British Steel
    Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
    Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    Aerosmith - Get Your Wings
    Beatles - The White Album

I think these albums are good starting places for building your collection. I know I forgot some but maybe these will help.

i'd recommend the doors 'in concert' over their studio albums...their studio albums sound flat (imo) compared to the live stuff.
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    simon and garfunkel
    the velvet underground
    Grateful Dead
    MC5
    Bob Dylan!!!!!!!!!
    Bob Marley
    Toots and the Maytals
    Jimmy Cliff
    The Stones!!!!!!!!
    Talking Heads
    R.E.M.
    The Replacements
    The Jayhawks
    Thin Lizzy
    The Who
    The Kinks
    Deep Purple
    Dio
    Husker Du
    Rush
    Tom Waits
    The Pogues
    Nick Cave
    Allman Bros.
    Cream
    The Beach Boys (yes, the beach boys)
    "The one's who love us best, are the one's we'll lay to rest. Visit their graves on holidays, at best. The one's who love us least, are the one's we'll die to please..." The Replacements

www.first-avenue.com
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:
    i'd recommend the doors 'in concert' over their studio albums...their studio albums sound flat (imo) compared to the live stuff.
    I'm embarassed to admit I havent actually heard any of their live stuff, but I'll definitely check it out.

Other great albums that I forgot, pj_zombie, are any and all of these:
    Bob Dylan - Bringing it all Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde
    Her?
  • Options
    lumpyfred wrote:
    I'm embarassed to admit I havent actually heard any of their live stuff, but I'll definitely check it out.

Other great albums that I forgot, pj_zombie, are any and all of these:
    Bob Dylan - Bringing it all Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde

Don't forget "Blood on the Tracks"
    "The one's who love us best, are the one's we'll lay to rest. Visit their graves on holidays, at best. The one's who love us least, are the one's we'll die to please..." The Replacements

www.first-avenue.com
  • Options
    pj_zombie wrote:
    I love guitars. quote]

Here are a few great "Guitar" albums:

Cream : Disreali Gears
    Jimi Hendrix : Band of Gypsys
    Rolling Stones : Sticky Fingers
    Free : Fire and Water (If you dig Zeppelin, you'll dig Free)
    Jeff Beck : Truth (Led Zeppelin I's bastard cousin)

Check those out for starters.
  • Options
    blackngoldblackngold Posts: 264
    The Who - Who's Next and Quadrophenia
  • Options
    sj.brodiesj.brodie Posts: 468
    you need quadrophenia by The Who, its a great guitar album and a big infuence on pj's sound.
  • Options
    fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Get Rory gallagher's IRish tour. You won't be disapointed.
    Thin Lizzy's night life is another good one.
    LEaf hounds first ablum is good.
    Morrison hotel the doors
    AC/DC Highway to hell
  • Options
    sj.brodiesj.brodie Posts: 468
    if you like passionate vocalists, go for Creedence Clearwater Revival - "Long as i can see the light" is a great ballad.
  • Options
    Don't forget "Blood on the Tracks"
    Good Call!
    Her?
  • Options
    The Who
    Pink Floyd
    the Doors
    Beatles
    Hendrix

those are my favorites
    good list
    throw a little guess who in there maybe some stones too :)
    dream like your living forever
    live like your dying today
  • Options
    oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    aside from some of the more obvious answers, this band came to mind..

Mountain

this group featured a very heavy (as in weighed alot) guitarist named Leslie West..

some may have heard the hit song Mississippi Queen

also, even though he was an ass, Alvin Lee with Ten Years After

awesome rock n roll blues..
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • Options
    Manstis1604Manstis1604 Posts: 99
    If you're interested in moving out of the 60s and 70s, it sounds to me like you'd really dig Guns N' Roses. They're heavy, classic rock, melodic, energetic, passionate, and there's constant great guitar. Pick up Appetite for Destruction.

Some good 60s/70s bands...I'm a bit of a 60s novice, my liking music really starts with Zeppelin because they're the best band of all time and almost every group I enjoy has some Zeppelin influence. Check out The Who's Live at Leeds, Meddle by Pink Floyd, Sabbath's self titled, The Yes Album by...Yes, Electric Ladyland by Hendrix, and make for damn sure you pick up Physical Graffiti and Houses of the Holy by Zeppelin, those two albums were the band at their peak. And, even though its not rock, do yourself and favor and check out some Miles Davis.
  • Options
    Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    I didn't see this one posted yet.....

Boston - Boston

It's a must have!!
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    you must add some stones, pick Sticky Fingers if you want an album or pick Hot Rocks if you want a greatest hits collection.

Also get a Faces CD
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    Thanks a bunch for the responses. Looks like I got some research to do. I know I'll definately finish my Led Zeppelin collection in time so no worries there. It doesn't have to be from the 60's/70's but I know that's the era that those classic rock bands came from.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    pj_zombie wrote:
    Basically I've really been into anything that resembles classic rock and amazing lead guitarists. I've just started building my collection of Led Zeppelin (have I, II, and IV) so I'm going to work my way up through that. What I was wondering is where should I go next? As I said, I'm looking for stuff with some amazing guitar work in some form or another. Where should I go next exactly? Oh, and another thing I really like is when the vocalist has a lot of passion in his voice like Robert Plant or Eddie Vedder. I'm still relatively new to music and I've only begun to build my CD collection. I've seemingly gone through waves of liking a music genre and right now I'm kind of in this classic rock phase. I'll be writing down the bands you guys list and checking them out so let loose.

haha :D that's awesome! :) I'm on the same boat as you :D I'm building my Led Zep collection. So far I have II, IV, Houses of the Holy, and In Through the Out Door. The next one I'm getting is Physical Grafitti, then I, III, Presence and CODA.
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    did anybody mention KISS yet? :D
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    Pearl_Juli wrote:
    haha :D that's awesome! :) I'm on the same boat as you :D I'm building my Led Zep collection. So far I have II, IV, Houses of the Holy, and In Through the Out Door. The next one I'm getting is Physical Grafitti, then I, III, Presence and CODA.

So far Led Zeppelin I is my favorite album of theirs followed by IV then II. How Many More Times is definately my favorite Zep song at the moment as well.

Today I borrowed that GnR album Appetite for Destruction as well as Jimi Hendrix 'Band of Gypsies' from someone at college. I think I'm going to get some of Hendrix's stuff but the GnR album was a bit meh. I love the music and guitars but the lyrics are pretty bad to me. It was worth a shot though.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Physical Graffiti will blow you away!
    Agreed.....IMHO the best Zep album

You might also want to consider the following material:

Blind Faith "Blind Faith...the deluxe edition"-Eric Clapton and Stevie Winwood. "nuff said"

Who "Who's Next....the deluxe edition"-lots of bonus material

King Crimson "Red"-heavy stuff, masterful guitar..besides I must mention KC every chance that I get

Dire Straits-"Making Movies"
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,782
    pj_zombie wrote:
    Basically I've really been into anything that resembles classic rock and amazing lead guitarists. I've just started building my collection of Led Zeppelin (have I, II, and IV) so I'm going to work my way up What I was wondering is where should I go next?

get Zep's houses of the holy and physical graffiti, STAT!
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com