Options

+$16, FUCK YOU Ticketmaster!

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 4,565
edited April 2008 in The Porch
When the WPB show went on sale I got 2 tickets for my uncle to go see them since he's been dying to see them since 2000. 9.95 convenience charge (very convenient!) plus 6.95 facility charge?

The 62$ ticket turned into an 80$ ticket
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    where the hell have you been for the last 15 years?
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,196
    When the WPB show went on sale I got 2 tickets for my uncle to go see them since he's been dying to see them since 2000. 9.95 convenience charge (very convenient!) plus 6.95 facility charge?

and PJ caught shit for trying to do something years ago and lost. can you say MONOPOLY!! and they make you pay $2.50 to print the tix at home, ridiculous. i cant wait to see the "convenience fee" on MSG tix.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,219
    Sky is Blue. Nothing new.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444

The facility fee isn't a ticketmaster charge....its a total scam, since it doesn't count as part of the band's gross...its an easy way to keep the face value lower.
  • Options
    Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213

My dad just called me about it like an hour ago because he's dying to see them as well, and I'm using my 10C tickets for me and my sister and yes...the ticketmaster service charges are RIDICULOUS!!!

The only tix left now apparently are the $42 lawn ones. I will try to buy them at the box office, HOPING that they only charge their $5 fee and not also ticketmaster fees.
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754

that's a cheap one in WPB then..when I looked at Mansfield, it came up with like $16 convenience+something like $7 facility+ the $2.50 to either print it yourself or picking it up!!

Here we call it service fee rather than convenience fee, but both are an oxymorons!
  • Options
    spankyMP wrote:
    and PJ caught shit for trying to do something years ago and lost. can you say MONOPOLY!! and they make you pay $2.50 to print the tix at home, ridiculous. i cant wait to see the "convenience fee" on MSG tix.

that's going to be a joke...I can see the service fee being around 14.95 and the building fee around 11.95
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    That's actually a bargain these days.
  • Options
    Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    TrAvELAr wrote:
    That's actually a bargain these days.

Well, I paid around $25-$30 for my lawn ticket to see Roger Waters, all the fees included.
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    that's going to be a joke...I can see the service fee being around 14.95 and the building fee around 11.95
    I saw that looking at some tic.
    wtf? what is that supposed to mean? isn't the venue already paid by the promoter?
  • Options
    ...And people complain that the band is money-grubbing...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    you know what else is crazy now is that TM allows you to pay an extra 10 bucks and insure your ticket, so if it gets lost, stolen or whatnot they print you a new one... I mean your already paying 16 bucks in fees shouldnt they do that anyways ????

Also if you think that service charge is bad, a few weeks ago we bought Racontuers tickets and they were 50$ for 2 or 25$ each, came to 75$ total after service charge which means each ticket had 12.50$ in service charges or half the price of the ticket, ridiculous.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    The facility fee isn't a ticketmaster charge....its a total scam, since it doesn't count as part of the band's gross...its an easy way to keep the face value lower.

The facility fee actually goes to the facility... for maintanence and upkeep and whatnot, so its not a scam or bullshit fee at all.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    TheLostSoulTheLostSoul Posts: 773
    where the hell have you been for the last 15 years?

lmao.
    I miss you hippiemom.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    chromiam wrote:
    The facility fee actually goes to the facility... for maintanence and upkeep and whatnot, so its not a scam or bullshit fee at all.

It is a legal scam..its a sneaky way to raise the ticket price without raising the actual face value of the ticket.

True, it does go to the facility, but in exchange, they charge less rent to the promoter.

All business have expenses, but most don't add extra fees for maintenance and upkeep. Since the band's take is usually based on the gross ticket sales, the promoter is able to shield part of the actual gross by disguising it as a facility fee. The promoter gets a kick-back from the venue, just as they do from Ticketmaster, the caterers, security, etc.
  • Options
    Yeah it sucks, but why is everyone so surprised? Do you not ever go to any other concerts or events?
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Options
    panthergirlpanthergirl Posts: 469
    i got two tix for wpb this morning
    because my teenage sons are joining us for this show - :) -

Base price $62.00

the facility charge was $6 x 2 ($12)
    and the 'convenience' charge was $11.50 x 2 ($23)
    and of course the 'order processing fee' was $5.15

which added $40.15 to the base price of $124 tickets.

not surprised but it still pisses me off everytime we buy tickets.

we try to buy at the venue whenever possible but it's not possible in this case.
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • Options
    chromiam wrote:
    well, it is from here.
    the promoter hire the venue, pays them. that's included in the ticket price.
    absolutely no reason to pay that AGAIN!

and the one thing that pisses me off most about all those extra charges, is if the gig is cancelled for whatever reason none of them being our fault), none of those are refunded, only the face :eek: :mad:
    how the fuck is that right?! something you have NO control about get cancelled and yet you are losing money on it! if a band/promoter cancel, THEY should cover the ticket agencies fees, not the patrons that had nothing to do with it!

that's the one part of the PJ battle against TM that I didn't agree on..seperating service charges actually worked against the concert goers!
  • Options

is that all you do is bitch and complain
    NO TIME TO BE VOID OR SAVE UP ON LIFE, YOU GOT TO SPEND IT ALL!!!!!!!
  • Options
    is that all you do is bitch and complain

how about, you shut the fuck up...if you have nothing to contribute don't speak
  • Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,478
    Pegasus wrote:
    tthe $2.50 to either print it yourself or picking it up!!

Here we call it service fee rather than convenience fee, but both are an oxymorons!
    um they mail em for free. lets be balanced.
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options

Oh no. They charged you as much as a pizza pie. The horror! Go find youself a real problem to cry about.
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    It is a legal scam..its a sneaky way to raise the ticket price without raising the actual face value of the ticket.

True, it does go to the facility, but in exchange, they charge less rent to the promoter.

All business have expenses, but most don't add extra fees for maintenance and upkeep. Since the band's take is usually based on the gross ticket sales, the promoter is able to shield part of the actual gross by disguising it as a facility fee. The promoter gets a kick-back from the venue, just as they do from Ticketmaster, the caterers, security, etc.

Again its not a scam or sneaky anything. And who says the facility charges less rent to the promoter because of it??? The promoter rents the venue, now the venue has the right to charge them a fee to help maintain the facility. But why should the band and the promoter pay to maintain a facility they may only use once every 3 to 5 years??? So, the ticket purchaser pays the fee.. is it right??? hmmm maybe, maybe not. Is it legal?? sure it is.. Is it a scam?? Hell no, its stated loud and clear and plain to see what the charge is for and if you don't like it, then don't buy tickets.

As for what most businesses do... yes they do add fees, its called raising the cost of goods or services they perform. And the band's take is only based on the face value of the ticket, not the gross value after fees and taxes. So there is no shielding at all. In actuality, its more open than if the tickets were priced at a flat fee without any fees or taxes listed.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    REM in Toronto..Lawns were $29.50
    after taxes and everything $46...they keep this up and soon the taxes will be more then the shows them selves..

and to add..I had to buy a friend of mine a non Ten Club tickets..cost $85 US..my ten club was $77cnd EACH...so I hope this stops the complaining..we get better seats for cheaper :)
    FUCK! if you only hear what you wanna hear...
    http://www.myspace.com/mrmojorisinca
  • Options
    NOCODE#1 wrote:
    um they mail em for free. lets be balanced.
    not an option if you live overseas.
    REM in Toronto..Lawns were $29.50
    after taxes and everything $46...they keep this up and soon the taxes will be more then the shows them selves..
    it's already like that for flights.. by double even!
  • Options
    mpg82mpg82 Posts: 83
    "Convenience fee" - hahaha

Fucking savages killing the concert experience
    6/26/98, 6/27/98, 06/13/99, 10/08/00, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/29/06, 6/30/06, 5/7/10
  • Options
    I'm not sure about all of the complaining, but I am going to see Pearl Jam, Again!

I bet that those of you complaining about these charges are the ones complaining about the price of drinks, too?
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    are people actually defending Ticketmaster in this thread?

Jesus ... that's like rooting for the dealer in blackjack. Or the Empire in Star Wars.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    are people actually defending Ticketmaster in this thread?

Jesus ... that's like rooting for the dealer in blackjack. Or the Empire in Star Wars.

In no way am I defending Ticketmaster for those charges they impose, but like others have said, either you pay them or you don't go. Yes, you can make a stand and not buy tickets to these shows and "stick" it to them. Will this work? Probably not. One of the biggest bands at the time, PJ, tried this themselves, but had no success. So, do you think that complaining or boycotting against them as a "small" group will do anything? I think not, but that is just my lonely opinion. That is the beauty of America though. We can complain about these minute things and continue on with our lives.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    Ishmael_10 wrote:
    In no way am I defending Ticketmaster for those charges they impose, but like others have said, either you pay them or you don't go.

Or, you buy the tickets and you bitch on a message board. It doesn't hurt anything.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do