Options

there all alike

edited January 2006 in Other Music
all this sh**y music is driving me insane!!!all the bands today all sound the same!pearl jam is the only good music left !(and nirvana).i think pJ outta teach 'em what MUSIC sounds like!
~~ONCE a pj fan...~~Always a pj fan~~never let em' down~~~
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    all this sh**y music is driving me insane!!!all the bands today all sound the same!pearl jam is the only good music left !(and nirvana).i think pJ outta teach 'em what MUSIC sounds like!

I know how one can get frustated nowadays but there are some good original bands out there. I like the Kings Of Leon and Modest Mouse and I think they're pretty original and fuse their musical experiences into something new and unique.
    Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    man what a dumb post. I'd be happy to introduce you to some good recent music.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    man what a dumb post. I'd be happy to introduce you to some good recent music.

Listen to him. It's true.
  • Options
    You won't hear much good stuff on the radio, and you'll hardly find any on tv, but there's TONS of good shit out there. For instance:

Kings of Leon, Kaiser Chiefs, Wilco, My Morning Jacket, John Butler Trio, Xavier Rudd, Idlewild...just to name a couple.
    Just try and get past the Nickelbacks and good charlottes. You'll find some good stuff. Promise
    "The whole world will be different soon"
  • Options
    I'd avoid Idlewild, the Kaiser Chiefs, and the Kings Of Leon. They just plain don't stand out to me.
  • Options
    DeeveDeeve Posts: 122
    Never mind the poor music out now.....

How about the STUPID NAMES!

WTF kinda name is death from above 1979. Just death from above would have been fine. What is with the 1979?

Death cab for cutie. This is my winner for stupid band name of all time.

are you fucking kidding me. I cannot take either of these bands seriously, no matter how good they are.
    "Lick the dirt off Olajuwon's feet"
  • Options

*They're all alike.

And No. They are not all alike. You are just listening to the wrong music.
    Thanks harrison. Maybe you should take your beatbox down the street and eat some acid you silly pervert.

Moloko21- You have been banned for the following reason:
    refusing to followthe posting guidelines you agreed to when you registered for the bbs

Date the ban will be lifted: 02-22-2006
  • Options
    Deeve wrote:

WTF kinda name is death from above 1979. Just death from above would have been fine. What is with the 1979?

are you fucking kidding me. I cannot take either of these bands seriously, no matter how good they are.

Death From Above had to add the 1979 because of legal issues with the original name, Death From Above. Apparently a new york record label or something already had the name Death From Above, so they tacked on the 1979.
  • Options
    Deeve wrote:

I like the name Death Cab For Cutie. I dont really know what it means (maybe I should look up the lyrics to the song with the same name)
  • Options
    I hope you aren't serious Deeve about not liking a band because of their name.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,758
    Death Cab for Cutie is an American rock band formed in Bellingham, Washington in 1997. The band takes its name from a satirical song performed by the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band on their 1967 album Gorilla. The song was also performed in a striptease act in The Beatles's movie Magical Mystery Tour.

this is from wikipedia....but i remember they got it from watching magical mystery tour. So blame the Beatles for the name
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    The band takes its name from a satirical song performed by the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band on their 1967 album Gorilla. The song was also performed in a striptease act in The Beatles's movie Magical Mystery Tour.
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    The band takes its name from a satirical song performed by the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band on their 1967 album Gorilla. The song was also performed in a striptease act in The Beatles's movie Magical Mystery Tour.

tie!!

hahah I just quoted that straight from wikipedia, so I think you won
  • Options
    oh and if anyone is looking for some good alt-country. The Elected just released their second album last tuesday and its worth listening to not as good as their first album but definately not a soph slump.
  • Options
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    I hope you aren't serious Deeve about not liking a band because of their name.

I never said I didn't like them. I just said I can't take them seriously.

Hence I have never listened to either of them, at least not knowingly. Example. I wouldnt just go out and by an album by either.

I dunno, my point merely is that there are far too many bands out there these days with absolutely rediculous names. I cited 2 examples.

Sorry if I have offended any fans of said bands but that is just the way I feel. Then again, what do I know. I listen to a band called Meat Beat Manifesto :)
    (which I think is a seriously bad name but the music is great)
  • Options
    Deeve wrote:

Hence I have never listened to either of them, at least not knowingly. Example. I wouldnt just go out and by an album by either.

I dunno, my point merely is that there are far too many bands out there these days with absolutely rediculous names. I cited 2 examples.

Sorry if I have offended any fans of said bands but that is just the way I feel. Then again, what do I know. I listen to a band called Meat Beat Manifesto :)

the electric prunes
    the chocolate watchband
    Jefferson airplane
    13th floor elevators

crap names have been around forever
  • Options
    Deeve wrote:

Finding a good name isnt that easy I guess. But I think serious but unoriginal names are worse than dumb ones. At least the dumb ones are weird. Something like "The Killers" is just so ordinary.
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Strawberry Alarm Clock
    Sex Pistols
    Dayglo Abortions
    Bif Naked

and some of that music is pretty damn good!

Monty Python had a good bit about band names on their "Contractual Obligation" album and how they evolve and such...quite amuzing!!
    be philanthropic
  • Options

theres a lot of crap on the radio yes, but there is better music than just rock n roll.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Gorilla by the Bonzos is one of my favourite albums.

As for silly band names, nothing beats The Utterly Incredible Too Long Ago To Remember Sometimes Shouting At People. And they were around forty years ago: The acid was stronger then.

Floyd fans take note:
    http://members.aol.com/pgrsel/barrett/14hours.htm
  • Options
    the electric prunes
    the chocolate watchband
    Jefferson airplane
    13th floor elevators

crap names have been around forever

Even worse is Jefferson Starship :)
  • Options
    Strawberry Alarm Clock
    Sex Pistols
    Dayglo Abortions
    Bif Naked

and some of that music is pretty damn good!

Monty Python had a good bit about band names on their "Contractual Obligation" album and how they evolve and such...quite amuzing!!

Yes, but punk bands do it for a reason.

Butthole Surfers
    the Dead Milkmen etc etc

Maybe its just the way Death Cab For Cutie and Death From Above 1979 just plain don't roll off the tongue very well.

Death Cab would.... Death From Above would (but as someone already pointed out, its taken), even 1979 would.

I dunno. :)

If I was in a punk band, I would call them "the Phallus Cowboys" haha
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I don't know if I'd agree that "they all sound the same", but I would agree that the music isn't that good. The 60's and 90's were good imo. I think it goes in cycles. I think good things are coming.
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    DabbaDabba Posts: 26
    The Arctic Monkeys are pretty damn good, I'd recommend them to anyone who's a bit bored.
    Beer Pressure
    A benevolent psycological pressure applied by drinking companions encouraging one to consume more alcohol than one feels comfortable drinking.

Chaveller's Check
    A Giro.
  • Options
    Dabba wrote:
    The Arctic Monkeys are pretty damn good, I'd recommend them to anyone who's a bit bored.

If he's already frustrated with the music nowadays I'd say the Arctic Monkeys might push him over the edge and make him hate music altogether. I think they lack lyrical depth and are just a fun-sounding band. But they're really good for a debut album and they're pretty young so I hope that they do some developing in the future.
  • Options
    Talking about stupid band names, when you think about it Pearl Jam sounds pretty lame too. :D
  • Options
    DabbaDabba Posts: 26
    If he's already frustrated with the music nowadays I'd say the Arctic Monkeys might push him over the edge and make him hate music altogether. I think they lack lyrical depth and are just a fun-sounding band. But they're really good for a debut album and they're pretty young so I hope that they do some developing in the future.

I don't know, I think they're refreshing. I didn't think the album would be all that good but I was pleasantly surprised, I'm looking forward to hearing what they come up with next. I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree.
    Beer Pressure
    A benevolent psycological pressure applied by drinking companions encouraging one to consume more alcohol than one feels comfortable drinking.

Chaveller's Check
    A Giro.
  • Options
    i cant be dissapointed with music these days. you can find something good all over the place. except the radio of course. fire theft, modest mouse, broken social scene, the arcade fire, sufjan stevens..its all good stuff. hunt it down
  • Options
    DarthLeia wrote:
    Talking about stupid band names, when you think about it Pearl Jam sounds pretty lame too. :D

ummm...who?