I dislike Chris Cornell

Comments

• StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    cornell's shriek is like nails on a chalkboard to my ears.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • ToshalaToshala Posts: 200
    I can remember that old saying, "opinions are like assholes. everyones got one"....**and some of them stink!!!** :P

I've seen Audioslave a total of 14 times; 7 times each tour 03 + 05 so feel I qualify to state that yes, he's an incredible singer, yes, he has his off moments, yes, sometimes he should NOT attempt the high register screams, yes, he's huskier sounding than when he was younger but I feel personally, his song 'stylings' are imcomparable. I appreciate his knowing how his voice has changed and worked within his range better.....Trying to sing over his bandmates live sometimes stressed his voice and oh well........after hearing the 12 songs from Stockholm I'm assured whatever people feel he 'lost', he has found.

although we have since learned the upcoming 'solo' album will NOT just be Chris and a guitar, I have high hopes with his most recent visibility (Bond theme) that this album will elevate him........and us too...
  • mike_s_6mike_s_6 Posts: 160
    He's a great singer. Gawd, I know a lot of artists, up coming and present who admire his voice. The artists are from different backgrounds - mainstream, underground and indie. Even MTV, who I thought hated growlers and screamers, liked him ;)

PS. I like him, and think he's amazing. Not to mention good-looking :D
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    im with him. soundgarden had some decent songs. as has cornell in his solo career and with audioslave. but his voice drives me batty. he "warbles" (only word i can think to describe it). it's this high pitched shreek. can't do it.

I can't stand his voice anymore.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    overall he is amazing.. i dont care too much for audioslave though

i love early soundgarden obviously

what parts of seven mary threes singer do you like in comparison to cornell? or were you just being a complete jackass by even mentioning that band
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Poyndexter...if you can do better, I think we'd all love to hear it. ;)

His voice has definitely changed, and while I have my opinions about some of the stylistic things he leans on when he sings these days, I cannot and will not ever suggest that he's not one of the greatest voices in the history of rock music.

This is coming from someone who feels that most of his Audioslave work is forgettable by comparison to his solo/SG/TOTD work, and unfortunate for anything but his bank account.

I'm looking forward to his 2nd solo album, and fully expect that it will be a return to form for an otherwise brilliant musician. I wont hold Audioslave against him :). I think he has a lot left in the tank...just not with Audioslave...please God?
  • Poyndexter wrote:
    I'm sorry. I think he sucks as a singer.

I don't think he sucks. but he's vastly overrated by people on this website
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    What I don't understand is why people are so in love with his solo work...

Soundgarden = brilliant
    TotD = almost as brilliant
    Audioslave = decent
    Euphoria Morning = average at best

Come on, 'Can't Change Me'...? 'Wave Goodbye'...? Hey Chris, N'Sync called and they want their songs back.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • DOSW wrote:
    What I don't understand is why people are so in love with his solo work...

Soundgarden = brilliant
    TotD = almost as brilliant
    Audioslave = decent
    Euphoria Morning = average at best

Come on, 'Can't Change Me'...? 'Wave Goodbye'...? Hey Chris, N'Sync called and they want their songs back.

Preaching the End of The World and Follow My Way are both easily one of Chris' best works

in my opinion
  • mike_s_6mike_s_6 Posts: 160
    DOSW wrote:

The lyrics for Wave Goodbye served its purpose very well. The arrangement in his solo album is what made the songs poppish, the best example is Flutter Girl. The cd version deviates strongly from the acoustic demo version (!!!). For that, I don't blame Chris.

Besides, NSynch doesn't write verses like those -

What have you done, my little spark,
    cursing my name cause again I put you out...

Even though the truth can burn inside or fall behind
    I will wander through your open mind
    And you will find no lie can hide...

(by the way, the way these lines were delivered were creepy)

Follow my way when I am useless to your cause
    when I derail, calm in the patience of remorse
    out of my way, I'm only pure when I get lost...

And the songs you don't like:
    She has the daylight at her command
    She gives the night its dreams
    She can uncover your darkest fear
    And make you forget you feel it

Every hurtful thing you ever said
    Is ringing in your ear
    When you miss somebody
    And everything of beauty that you see
    Only brings a tear
    When you miss somebody
    When you miss somebody
    You tell yourself everything will be alright
    Try to stand up strong and brave
    When all you want to do is lay down and die
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i can honestly say i am not much of a fan of 'can't change me.'
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    mike_s_6 wrote:
    Besides, NSynch doesn't write verses like those -

What have you done, my little spark,
    cursing my name cause again I put you out...

Even though the truth can burn inside or fall behind
    I will wander through your open mind
    And you will find no lie can hide...

(by the way, the way these lines were delivered were creepy)

Follow my way when I am useless to your cause
    when I derail, calm in the patience of remorse
    out of my way, I'm only pure when I get lost...

For the record, I actually do enjoy Follow My Way, Steel Rain, Sweet Euphoria, and Preaching quite a bit. But the best of Euphoria Morning still doesn't hold a candle to the best of SG, TotD, or even Audioslave.
  • That's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

*middle finger*

whoopsies. :p
    LMAO
    Cornell pwns u
  • why the fuck are you sad fuckers slagging off one of the best albums ever!?!?!?!Euphoria Morning is one of the greatest albums of the 90's if EVER!Get a fucking life and go listen to Scissor Sisters
    Cornell pwns u
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    As good a Eddie is as a singer it is a no contest with Cornell. You can't honestly listen to Euphoria Morning, Badmotorfinger or any other of his records and say that he is a poor singer that is just laughable whether his style appeals to you or not.

badmotorfinger sounds like a dog being tortured. is he even singing on that album? all i hear is screeching.
    I don't think he sucks. but he's vastly overrated by people on this website

i think this is actually more what im saying. i made my own best of "soundgarden." the only pre-superunknown song i had was outshined. the rest were as bad as an 80s metal album. but those last 2 albums had some great songs. i also threw 3 totd songs on to fill it up and im not goign to lie... say hello to heaven is amazing. but the bottom line is i also listened to some of those earlier songs, the classics (rusty cage, etc) and his wail was ear-splitting. or birth ritual... he sounds HORRIBLE.

he had his moments, and still does. he's a solid songwriter and definitely earned his place in music history. but i think i cringe when people on here cast him as some sort of god. he's not. not even close. soundgarden was on the upper end of the 90s scene, but they were not the second coming of christ like people on here act like they are.
    i think this is actually more what im saying. i made my own best of "soundgarden." the only pre-superunknown song i had was outshined. the rest were as bad as an 80s metal album. but those last 2 albums had some great songs. i also threw 3 totd songs on to fill it up and im not goign to lie... say hello to heaven is amazing. but the bottom line is i also listened to some of those earlier songs, the classics (rusty cage, etc) and his wail was ear-splitting. or birth ritual... he sounds HORRIBLE.

What about the vocals on Slaves and Bulldozers? Probably one of his best vocal performances, although I don't really care for the screaming parts in it too much.

I think you should be a little patient with Badmotorfinger. I hate to say that because people always say that in response to someone who doesn't like certain music... but I think it's worth a shot. Outshined rocks, but there is so much more to that album than just that song (and I'm not talking about Rusty Cage or Jesus Christ Pose... those aren't even close to my favorite songs on the album). But, if the heavier metal feel to the album isn't your cup of tea, then that's fine too.
    badmotorfinger sounds like a dog being tortured. is he even singing on that album? all i hear is screeching.

There's probably no changing your mind on that. It's just a matter of taste.

It's strange how some people hear Chris's high notes as an audiorgasm and others hear it like the aforementioned dog being tortured.
    DOSW wrote:
    There's probably no changing your mind on that. It's just a matter of taste.

It's strange how some people hear Chris's high notes as an audiorgasm and others hear it like the aforementioned dog being tortured.

i think its a matter of stupidity lol.. clean the shit out your ears and listen to that record again.. if you like music with raw emotion, energy and originality how can you not like badmotorfinger?
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    bharQ wrote:
    i think its a matter of stupidity lol.. clean the shit out your ears and listen to that record again.. if you like music with raw emotion, energy and originality how can you not like badmotorfinger?

cos it's not original. it's a metallica album with screeching instead of growling.
    DOSW wrote:
    What about the vocals on Slaves and Bulldozers? Probably one of his best vocal performances, although I don't really care for the screaming parts in it too much.

I think you should be a little patient with Badmotorfinger. I hate to say that because people always say that in response to someone who doesn't like certain music... but I think it's worth a shot. Outshined rocks, but there is so much more to that album than just that song (and I'm not talking about Rusty Cage or Jesus Christ Pose... those aren't even close to my favorite songs on the album). But, if the heavier metal feel to the album isn't your cup of tea, then that's fine too.

ive never liked cornell's voice. even on the songs i enjoy by soundgarden, it's in spite of his singing. it's just not going to happen. im not going to invest a lot of time listening to an album i dont like becos im "supposed" to think they're good. there's too much music out there for me to spend time doing that.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    ive never liked cornell's voice. even on the songs i enjoy by soundgarden, it's in spite of his singing. it's just not going to happen. im not going to invest a lot of time listening to an album i dont like becos im "supposed" to think they're good. there's too much music out there for me to spend time doing that.
    I have a friend just so.

He can appreciate the lyrics and all and even the Soundgarden output but has no tolerance for Cornell's voice AT ALL! And that's why I said, depending on the ears, his voice is either great or annoying. I can dig that considering some of the voices I couldn't stand the sound of at one time or another: like Bono's, Sade and Luther Vandross'.

Now I like them but once upon a time I didn't.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • I don't think he sucks. but he's vastly overrated by people on this website

See I don't get a statement like that at all. Have you honestly listened to early Soundgarden or Temple of the Dog? The guy's technical ability was incredible, very few singers could ever hope to get even close to what he could do. He might be overrated as a song writer (depending on your tastes), but as a singer he deserves every bit of credit he gets. Seriously, it's like saying Aretha Franklin or Mariah Carey can't sing - you might not like the music but the technical talent is undeniable.
  • See I don't get a statement like that at all. Have you honestly listened to early Soundgarden or Temple of the Dog? The guy's technical ability was incredible, very few singers could ever hope to get even close to what he could do.

yes I have listened to early Soundgarden and Temple of the Dog, and I'm a big Audioslave fan. he's good. but I think he's overrated by people on this message board.

"few singers could ever hope to get even close to what he could do" lol, yeah, like he's Robert Plant or something
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    yes I have listened to early Soundgarden and Temple of the Dog, and I'm a big Audioslave fan. he's good. but I think he's overrated by people on this message board.

"few singers could ever hope to get even close to what he could do" lol, yeah, like he's Robert Plant or something

I'll be the first to say that I would take his voice and vocals over Plant's any day. Plant has a very distinctive voice, but it's not quite as pleasing to the ear as Cornell's is.
  • DOSW wrote:
    I'll be the first to say that I would take his voice and vocals over Plant's any day. Plant has a very distinctive voice, but it's not quite as pleasing to the ear as Cornell's is.

to each his own. I prefer Plant but I know he's not for everyone. then again neither is Cornell. actually no one is.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • crazy, crazy talk!!!
    Poyndexter wrote:
    I'm sorry. I think he sucks as a singer. Different strokes for different folks.
  • yes I have listened to early Soundgarden and Temple of the Dog, and I'm a big Audioslave fan. he's good. but I think he's overrated by people on this message board.

Seriously, I'm now absolutely stunned!! Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Zeppelin fan, but Cornell in his prime absolutely surpassed Plant in terms of vocal skill. Let me say this again, it is Cornell's range from Eddie Vedder low to Robert Plant high that was so unique. Furthermore the power he had in his upper register was far superior to a lot of singers who could hit the high notes, but the notes often sounded pretty 'thin' in comparison.
  • I completely agree, he has got an incredible range.
    Seriously, I'm now absolutely stunned!! Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Zeppelin fan, but Cornell in his prime absolutely surpassed Plant in terms of vocal skill. Let me say this again, it is Cornell's range from Eddie Vedder low to Robert Plant high that was so unique. Furthermore the power he had in his upper register was far superior to a lot of singers who could hit the high notes, but the notes often sounded pretty 'thin' in comparison.
    cos it's not original. it's a metallica album with screeching instead of growling.

how the fuck is it a metallica album?
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!