I dislike Chris Cornell

PoyndexterPoyndexter Posts: 92
edited April 2007 in Other Music
I'm sorry. I think he sucks as a singer. Different strokes for different folks. Gimme Eddie, Layne or the guy from Seven Mary Three.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• That's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

*middle finger*

whoopsies. :p
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • If you think Cornell sucks you outta ya mind son.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    well his solo record was flawed, as are audioslave. In my humble opinion the last good record he was involved in was superunknown (oh and blackholesun was total shite). Saw soundgarden live in 96 and well..........
  • MJSB74MJSB74 Posts: 75
    elmer wrote:
    well his solo record was flawed, as are audioslave. In my humble opinion the last good record he was involved in was superunknown (oh and blackholesun was total shite). Saw soundgarden live in 96 and well..........

Thing is though, poyndexter isn't slagging his musical output. He's saying he's not a good singer! That not even a matter of opinion, its just plain ridiculous.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    MJSB74 wrote:
    Thing is though, poyndexter isn't slagging his musical output. He's saying he's not a good singer! That not even a matter of opinion, its just plain ridiculous.
    it is I suppose, his voice isnt as rich a say ed veds but still has its moments...................like badmotorfinger, who could have done a better job singing those songs?
  • As good a Eddie is as a singer it is a no contest with Cornell. You can't honestly listen to Euphoria Morning, Badmotorfinger or any other of his records and say that he is a poor singer that is just laughable whether his style appeals to you or not.
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    I believe you qualify as the only person in my lifetime that I've heard say that he can't sing
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • elmer wrote:
    it is I suppose, his voice isnt as rich a say ed veds but still has its moments...................like badmotorfinger, who could have done a better job singing those songs?

Not sure what your interpretation of a 'rich' voice is, but Cornell has sung as deep as Ed on many occassions. Like others have said, it's fine not to like a particular singer's style, but to say he can't sing is utterly ridiculous. In the early-mid 90's, he was unqestionably the best technical singer in rock. While there were some singers who could sing as high as him, or even higher, few had such an impressive middle and lower range too - a baritone who has such a fully developed upper register is about as rare as rocking horse poo.
  • Chris is good, but Ed has a 'richer' voice. (richer=more enjoyable to the ear). Chris gets little wankerish (is this a word?)
    Chris is ok live, Ed is very good live.
  • sorry but are you ok ? are you out of mind? chris is the best singer of the 90`s ok now he distreud his voice a bit (alcohol probs etc.) but his voice is great
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    I dont mind if people say that Chris Cornell's voice is perhaps not to their taste but to say he isnt a good singer is pretty stupid in my opinion.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Poyndexter wrote:
    I'm sorry. I think he sucks as a singer. Different strokes for different folks. Gimme Eddie, Layne or the guy from Seven Mary Three.

Yawn. Is there someone beating a dead horse?
  • Chris is good, but Ed has a 'richer' voice. (richer=more enjoyable to the ear). Chris gets little wankerish (is this a word?)
    Chris is ok live, Ed is very good live.

Both Ed and Chris have lost some of their vocal ability in the last decade. Chris when his voice is rested is still excellent but his voice deteriorates throughout the tour same as Ed's had at the end of the Australian tour when I saw him.
  • Cornell's voice peaked on his Euphoria Morning tour (if you haven't heard any live stuff from then - mindblowing), but he's always been a terrific singer. Even at his uncontested low point on the first audioslave tour.

He's dropped the booze and the cigs and believe it or not his live show is practically dead on and much more consistant now. His solo tour will be very interesting indeed.

I still say from 1990-94 Cornell was the best singer alive.

"Make our day"
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Poyndexter wrote:
    or the guy from Seven Mary Three.
    Well you might have been taken seriously 'till you said that.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    MJSB74 wrote:

im with him. soundgarden had some decent songs. as has cornell in his solo career and with audioslave. but his voice drives me batty. he "warbles" (only word i can think to describe it). it's this high pitched shreek. can't do it.
  • If you think Cornell sucks you outta ya mind son.

I agree with you cornell is the man if u hate him your outta ur damn mind! but every kid is entitled to there opinion! where would seattle grunge be with out Chris and Soundgarden/Temple of the Dog u tell me?
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    elmer wrote:

I would agree with this... CC was at his best by far in his Soundgarden days. After that, he just grew kind of wussy and his voice isn't nearly as good as what it was... and I still can't believe that there are Audioslave/Cornell fanboys who say otherwise. I enjoy Audioslave quite a lot, but the voice is no where near what it was back in the day.

But by the way, Black Hole Sun is NOT total shite. It's a great song, and admitting that it's great doesn't mean that I'm not a 'real' Soundgarden fan like you seem to think it does. Overplayed, yeah, but not shitty by any means.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • I will say Audioslave and his solo stuff is for losers, but he does have a set of pipes. The guy's way ahead of a lot of singers to include Vedder, whos vocals don't really impress me at all.
    www.myspace.com/olafvonmastadon
  • I think when Chiris cornell's voice is on form its one of the best male voices around (apart from Ed of course) Both are really underrated as well.

The thing I like best about chris's voice is the "blues" feel he can bring to it, like in the song "All night thing" on temple. I think that's when he elevated himself voice-wise for me.

Am indifferent to his audioslave stuff though.
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• I think when Chiris cornell's voice is on form its one of the best male voices around (apart from Ed of course) Both are really underrated as well.

The thing I like best about chris's voice is the "blues" feel he can bring to it, like in the song "All night thing" on temple. I think that's when he elevated himself voice-wise for me.

Am indifferent to his audioslave stuff though.
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Most of what I'm going to say has been said. I really love Chris's voice on his studio work, especially Soundgarden/TotD, and even his solo album and Audioslave. I definitely think you can tell that his voice doesn't have the power on his Audioslave records, that it did back in the early 90's. But the power he had on those cds is pretty tremendous.

That said, I haven't heard that much live Soundgarden, but I have seen Audioslave, and I was really dissapointed by how Chris sounded. Basically just weak. It's possible that his voice just doesn't translate well live, or that it's deteriorated a lot since his earlier days. But, that still doesn't take away from the incredible sound he was able to get when he was with SG and TotD.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • yosi wrote:
    Most of what I'm going to say has been said. I really love Chris's voice on his studio work, especially Soundgarden/TotD, and even his solo album and Audioslave. I definitely think you can tell that his voice doesn't have the power on his Audioslave records, that it did back in the early 90's. But the power he had on those cds is pretty tremendous.

That said, I haven't heard that much live Soundgarden, but I have seen Audioslave, and I was really dissapointed by how Chris sounded. Basically just weak. It's possible that his voice just doesn't translate well live, or that it's deteriorated a lot since his earlier days. But, that still doesn't take away from the incredible sound he was able to get when he was with SG and TotD.
    When did you see audioslave?

He pretty much sucked it up on the first tour (not terrible, but not very good).

The second tour was rehabilitation.. what with dropping his addictions.. he was constantly getting laryngitis (see: live in cuba DVD).

He really has improved tremendously since 2002.

"Make our day"
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    When did you see audioslave?

He pretty much sucked it up on the first tour (not terrible, but not very good).

The second tour was rehabilitation.. what with dropping his addictions.. he was constantly getting laryngitis (see: live in cuba DVD).

He really has improved tremendously since 2002.

First tour, and it's possible that was it. But, even though I've only heard a limited number of SG boots, I just don't think he sounded that great live back in SG either. At least nothing that could compare to the albums.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    wtf aare you on about

cornell is incredible
  • yosi wrote:
    First tour, and it's possible that was it. But, even though I've only heard a limited number of SG boots, I just don't think he sounded that great live back in SG either. At least nothing that could compare to the albums.
    Depends what you listen to.

He was a GOD back in 1990/91 and on and off brilliant past that..

The Down on the Upside Tour had the most off nights I believe.

True though, no matter how brilliant he is live his studio work is incomparible to really anyone else i've ever heard.

"Make our day"
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Poyndexter wrote:
    Have you ever listened to say hello 2 heaven by temple of the dog? Even if you don't LIKE his voice, to say it "sucks" is just moronic and, frankly, untrue.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    cutback wrote:
    Well you might have been taken seriously 'till you said that.

Yeah, my sentiments exactly - I kinda laughed when I read that, but didn't comment - thanks for that

No matter how good that guy's voice you may think is, a singer that has basically one album that people know of is not really a guy you want to be comparing to Cornell's

While I'm on it, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say
    AH HA! Are you the singer from Seven Mary posting on here? What's up dude????? .....Too Black or Too White...
    Cumbersome!!!!!.....I feel ya man, don't hide, reveal baby
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    DCGARDEN wrote:
    I believe you qualify as the only person in my lifetime that I've heard say that he can't sing
    Unless I'm not able to read the invisible writing I don't think Ponydexter said that Cornell "can't sing"....

I think he said that he doesn't care for him as a singer. Kind of like a "I don't like his voice" statement. Which isn't a big deal now is it? Really....is it?

And I'm prety sure he's not the only one who doesn't like the voice...it's a wonderfully unique voice and, depending on the ears, downright annoying.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    dharma69 wrote:
    Unless I'm not able to read the invisible writing I don't think Ponydexter said that Cornell "can't sing"....

I think he said that he doesn't care for him as a singer. Kind of like a "I don't like his voice" statement. Which isn't a big deal now is it? Really....is it?

And I'm prety sure he's not the only one who doesn't like the voice...it's a wonderfully unique voice and, depending on the ears, downright annoying.

I took his saying that cornell 'sucks' as a singer as meaning he was questioning his ability, or saying he was a bad singer, which is pretty ridiculous. Obviously he wont be to absolutely everyones taste but he is undoubtedly a talented singer.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.