R.E.M. Monster

Pearls&StonesPearls&Stones Posts: 585
edited February 2008 in Other Music
With R.E.M. set to release their first rocker since 1996's "New Adventures in Hi Fi," I thought I'd pop in "Monster" for a listen. I tend to agree with the consensus that "Monster' is not very good and is solely resposnible for the band's popularity decline in the U.S. I've always liked "What's the Frequency Kenneth," "Crush With Eyeliner" "Bang and Blame" and "Strange Currencies," plus a few of the other songs are ok ("I Took Your Name") but the songs that are bad are REALLY REALLY bad. For example, I can't stand "You," but that is at the end of the cd and easy to avoid. The other one is "Tongue" which is right in the middle and ruins the whole album. Everything else is kind of hard on the ears too.

I know there are a lot of R.E.M. fans on here (I LOVE 95% of their stuff), and I know there are others that don't love Monster (which is obvious by the nosedive their sales took afterword and the dozens of copies that are available in used cd bins everywhere.)What are your thoughts?
I love my female wife...
we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    I think it is by far their worst cd up to that point, though I always liked "what's the frequency, kenneth". I don't know though if that was the reason for their decline or if rock music had just taken a much heavier, less poppy turn by then. because I think "New Adventures" was their 2nd best album after "Automatic for the People", so it's definitely not like that was the end of their greatness or anything.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    With R.E.M. set to release their first rocker since 1996's "New Adventures in Hi Fi," I thought I'd pop in "Monster" for a listen. I tend to agree with the consensus that "Monster' is not very good and is solely resposnible for the band's popularity decline in the U.S. I've always liked "What's the Frequency Kenneth," "Crush With Eyeliner" "Bang and Blame" and "Strange Currencies," plus a few of the other songs are ok ("I Took Your Name") but the songs that are bad are REALLY REALLY bad. For example, I can't stand "You," but that is at the end of the cd and easy to avoid. The other one is "Tongue" which is right in the middle and ruins the whole album. Everything else is kind of hard on the ears too.

I know there are a lot of R.E.M. fans on here (I LOVE 95% of their stuff), and I know there are others that don't love Monster (which is obvious by the nosedive their sales took afterword and the dozens of copies that are available in used cd bins everywhere.)What are your thoughts?
    I pretty much agree with you 110% I got that album for my Birthday (was that 95 when that came out)? It had a few good tunes (the ones you named), but I hate "what's the frequency Kenneth?" I hate that song. I loved "Bang and Blame" and "strange currencies" is my favorite on the album. Sadly, I just didn't really look at REM as highly after that album. I mean they continued to release some decent singles in the latter years, but I just didn't care to purchase anymore of their albums. I will however would love to see them live. I haven't gotten to yet. Who plays drums for them now? I know Bill Berry will come play once in a blue moon, but who replaced him as far as touring and recording?
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i agree that monster is a horrible album. and its a shame because when you put it on, it starts off with kenneth, which is a great great great song. then it just turns to complete shit and is almost unlistenable. ive always been a fan of everything through automatic the most. life's rich pageant, automatic for the people, and murmur are my faves. i dont get how a band could make such mindboggling albums as those then make something like monster.
  • I dunno...the album was multi-plat and was #1 for a while...and frequency is one of the best songs they ever did. I loved it...still do.
  • Monster was actually the album that got me interested in REM. May sound strange, but it's true. What's the Frequency, Kenneth? got me hooked on their music and is still one of their best songs imo. I also like Strange Currencies, Bang and Blame, Crush with Eyeliner, and King of Comedy. I will admit though, that other albums of theirs beats Monster.
  • Saturnal wrote:
    I dunno...the album was multi-plat and was #1 for a while..

Yes, but that was followed by the classic New Adventures in HiFi making no splash when it came out. One of the best ways to tell how people feel about an album is to see how the follow up debuts (ie People were crazy about Ten---look how Vs did when it came out)

By the time New Adventures came out, every cd store I went to had 5 used copies of Monster. The funny thing is, that even though Monster wasn't great, it didn't destroy them at all. New Adventures is still one of my favorites to this day, as is Reveal. And there are songs on Up and Around the Sun that I like.

Plus, I can't wait for Accelerate.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • btb002btb002 Posts: 183
    It was the start of the decline, but only because Automatic for the People was a truly great all-time record. The album wasn't a failure commercially. What's the Frequency Kenneth was on the radio forever. Bang and Blame had tons of radio play. As did Strange Currencies. I sort of dig the change of pace. Songs like Tongue pop up on almost every R.E.M. album. Star (Fuck) Me Kitten anyone?

Adventures in Hi-Fi, now that is a difficult album. For me that is the most dense one, and obviously longest. I blame the decline on that album. No successful singles on that one at all. Does anyone else think "Leave" is their "How Soon Is Now?"

I also conclude that the decline stage is over and they are like the Rolling Stones where it doesn't matter what type of album they release. People see them because they are R.E.M. Pearl Jam would be the same way if their last album was unsuccessful.
    You are just a negative mindless pud.
    btb002 wrote:
    It was the start of the decline, but only because Automatic for the People was a truly great all-time record. The album wasn't a failure commercially. What's the Frequency Kenneth was on the radio forever. Bang and Blame had tons of radio play. As did Strange Currencies. I sort of dig the change of pace. Songs like Tongue pop up on almost every R.E.M. album. Star (Fuck) Me Kitten anyone?

Adventures in Hi-Fi, now that is a difficult album. For me that is the most dense one, and obviously longest. I blame the decline on that album. No successful singles on that one at all. Does anyone else think "Leave" is their "How Soon Is Now?"

I also conclude that the decline stage is over and they are like the Rolling Stones where it doesn't matter what type of album they release. People see them because they are R.E.M. Pearl Jam would be the same way if their last album was unsuccessful.

a bigger bang was a great album. many of those songs sounded like they could have been written in their prime.
    a bigger bang was a great album. many of those songs sounded like they could have been written in their prime.

I agree, I do like A Bigger Bang. Rough Justice, It Won't Take Long, Streets of Love, Sweet Neo Con, I think the album is really solid. I'm just saying they are a well established touring force. And they won't see a major drop in fans supportive of their touring. R.E.M. are STILL big in Europe.
    btb002 wrote:
    I agree, I do like A Bigger Bang. Rough Justice, It Won't Take Long, Streets of Love, Sweet Neo Con, I think the album is really solid. I'm just saying they are a well established touring force. And they won't see a major drop in fans supportive of their touring. R.E.M. are STILL big in Europe.

ohh i gotcha. i hope they break out some old tunes at these upcoming R.E.M. shows
  • im not a huge REM fan or anything, but i quite like most of monster. funnily enough tongue is a standout for me. i love it.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I think there's some strong stuff on Monster and is a good solid rock album.Love Strange Currencies and Tongue.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Monster. Cool record. Period.
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    jammerfall wrote:
    Monster. Cool record. Period.

agreed, it's probably my favorite REM record and they are in my top 5 all time bands so not like I'm fairweather here, the guitar tone on this album is just killer it's a fucking great record, while it may have blips here and there Let Me In makes up for every song on there that isn't awesome, Kenneth is still a sweet song no matter how many times I've heard it, just a cool disc
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    agreed, it's probably my favorite REM record and they are in my top 5 all time bands so not like I'm fairweather here, the guitar tone on this album is just killer it's a fucking great record, while it may have blips here and there Let Me In makes up for every song on there that isn't awesome, Kenneth is still a sweet song no matter how many times I've heard it, just a cool disc

Let Me In always came across to me like a mainstream Sonic Youth Daydream Nation-thing. Its probably my traditional stance, but I only like that amount of feedback on sort of lower end recordings. JATMC's Psychocandy, Daydream Nation, and even the first Foo Fighters CD, Monster was too polished for me to pull off that song. But that's just my thought, and I totally respect yours. Other than that the song is fine.
  • I must say I disagree. A lot. Monster is fun. I mean, come on, you think it would've made sense for them to continue in "Automatic..." style?

I like Monster a lot - but then again, my favorite REM albums are "New Adventures" and "Murmur", so f... the heck.

I think Around the Sun sucked, neither did I like Up, so I'm really looking forward to the new rocky stuff.
    www.myspace.com/andreasjunge
  • I love Monster, Strange Currencies is one of their best songs in my opinion.
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    I am European and yes, they are STILL very huge in Europe: not as big as U2 but bigger than Pearl Jam believe me.

Monster is absolutely underrated, it's a lot more better than Reveal, Up or even Around The Sun. Maybe I only miss the twist in the songs, they are sometimes ...too simple...but still great. And the sound is just HUGE!!!

Tongue - I used to dislike it but the live version in 1998 was awesome, I'll never forget it and love it since.

Let Me In, I Took Your Name, Circus Envy are my biggest favs here so I can see all their songs have their own fans!!! ;)
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    This is ironic.

REM's one of my favorite bands. I recently picked up Monster and love it. It's different, no doubt, but then again my favorite albums by them range from Murmur to Up, so I find myself loving all the weird incarnations this band has gone through. Whereas a lot of you seem to only like "Kenneth" I actually think thats one of my least favorites on the album. "Crush With Eyeliner", "King of Comedy", "Bang and Blame", "Let Me In," and "Circus Envy" are all awesome in my opinion.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Monster is REM's version of cock-rock, but with their unique style printed all over it. It's a great album, and the only song i dislike is King of Comedy. I agree with the comments about the distortion on the guitars, it's just killer!

Kenneth, Crush With Eyeliner, I Don't Sleep I Dream, Strange Currencies, I Took Your Name, Let Me In....they're easily some of the best REM songs ever in my opinion!

Personally, i thought it was a step up from Automatic for the People :)
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    Funny timing. I pulled Monster out for the first time in a year a few days ago; I had bought it at that time, dismissed most of the album, and stored it away. I listened to it again and every song blew me away. I think, like it's follow-up New Adventures in Hi-Fi, it is a very underrated effort and a stellar album. Each song, from Kenneth to You, is uncomfortable, quick, dirty and hard to love, but over the past five days they've all easily ingrained themselves in my head. Also, this is one of Stipe's darkest lyrical efforts.

As it always is with this band, it took Monster a while for me and it just clicked. Although I'm not a big Pitchfork fan, I always loved this quote from an R.E.M. record review, where they talked about the difficulty of making a classic album that stands the test of time; "make one classic, and you've earned your place in the canon. Make two, and you stand with the greats of all time. Make five or six and you're R.E.M." That's how I feel about them; I can't believe this much good music from this band. Arguably the best band of the 80's and 90's.
  • I want to touch on a few things that were brought up...

I think "A Bigger Bang" is a great Rolling Stones record.

I've always liked "Star Me Kitten"

I am always shocked when people say they aren't crazy about "Reveal." Sometimes I have to drive an hour for work, and when I do, "Reveal" is one of my go-to cd's for the drive. I never skip any songs on it.

My opinion of "Monster" is the bad songs are really bad, and distract from the great ones.
    I love my female wife...
  • why must people compare one R.E.M. album to another? each one is a different monster, pardon the pun. balls to R.E.M. for putting out Monster after appealing to all of the baby boomers w. Automatic & Out of Time

most people forget that Bill Berry half seriously threatened to quit the band unless they put out a rocker after Automatic.
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    No album with Tongue on it is bad.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Kind of off topic, but I picked up "R.E.M. Live" tonight, great disc and great DVD. I went against my own rule of never buying a live album of a band I have never seen live, except for a band like Nirvana, where there really is no chance.

I hope to catch R.E.M.'s Toronto show in June, I hope I didn't jinx myself.
    I love my female wife...
    where is the love for life's rich pageant?! flawless record and their best in my opinion. not a bad song there.
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    where is the love for life's rich pageant?! flawless record and their best in my opinion. not a bad song there.

I love that album. I think PJ loved it too because Sad sounds likes a blatant Begin the Begin copy to me.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
    culot4 wrote:
    I love that album. I think PJ loved it too because Sad sounds likes a blatant Begin the Begin copy to me.

you are right! i never thought of that but i can see it perfectly. good pick up.
    you are right! i never thought of that but i can see it perfectly. good pick up.

Eddie must really love that song. I found a file floating out on the net with Vedder duetting with them on it. Must have been from the inductions.
  • culot4 wrote:
    No album with Tongue on it is bad.

what they said.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24