I hate opening acts

2»

Comments

• DesignVHLDesignVHL Posts: 297
    JamHead86 wrote:
    i love opening bands. i have been turned on to sdome great music by getting to shows early. i heard particle open for trey anastasio last year and now they are one of my favorite bands. i also learned about matusyahu when he opened for trey later that summer. robert randolph had two decent bands open for him that i would consider seeing again in a bar or something, the howl and fat maw rooney. and keller williams opened for Umphrey's mcgee over new years and he is just the man. openers are a great way to learn about new music and its never a bad thing to have more live music.

Particle Rules! :) They are playing Lollapalooza too, can't wait! If your new to particle, check em out yo!

http://www.particlepeople.com
    | valerie |

EXPAND YOUR ELEMENT!
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I try to give the openers a chance. I just hate when there's more than one. Even if they're great, if I'm there for the headliner, that's just too much space.

Example- I'm going to see Dino Jr. tomorrow night, and they have two opening acts- Dead Meadow and Priestless. I like Dead Meadow, and I'm willing to give Priestless a chance, but damnit that means Dinosaur is going to be taking the stage at around 11:30 or midnight. It's not that I'm getting old and can't hang (well, not completely that anyway), but no matter what time I go to bed, the kids are still up at 7:00 AM, at the latest.

Edit: Festival situations are an exception- I'm talking about when one band is headlining.
    Saw Dead Meadow open for Sleater-Kinney last summer. They were a decent band, and I enjoyed their set.

Sometimes an opening act is good and stirs your interest and sometimes they don't.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    I love checking out opening acts...I often find new music to listen to that way!
    | valerie |

EXPAND YOUR ELEMENT!
  • Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    I went to see Oceansize but the support act were far better .. People in Planes

.. outrageous plug for an up 'n comin band :DPeople in Planes website

(I'll keep doing it till people take notice ;))

You really thought so? I didn't see Oceansize on that tour (I've seen them quite a few times as I went to Uni with them) but when i did see People in Planes supporting Biffy Clyro one time, i thought they were quite dull. They just seemed like they were warming up for 30 minutes and then left the stage.

Support slots have introduced me to some great bands.....Biffy Clyro supporting Weezer, Nada Surf supporting The Vines. I feel folk should always at least give a support act their due...if you don't like them then shuffle off.

You can't really expect to turnp at a show early and then have the opening act play in a quiet fashion just so you can talk
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    JSBE wrote:
    i've done that a couple times myself...and i would agree with you on the 2nd statement

thats what I plan on doing after Robert Pollard plays his set before Pearl Jam on june 23rd.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • open bands, are awsome, I get turned onto tons of great music thru opening bands. Just stay out in the parking lot, so there is one less person in my way when I make my way in when the doors open. Its a rock concert not a social hour.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    boroff89 wrote:
    Oh man. I love opening acts. Music is my drug.

There are such things as bad trips...

I dont think that I have ever seen an opening band and said WOW, I have to go buy their CD.

I agree, it would be cheaper for the band too if they would just open the doors an hour or so later and just have a good mix of songs playing until they were ready to take the stage.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • basqobasqo Posts: 25
    I am personally stoked to see sonic youth 3 times this summer.
    Here's to hoping the next album is along the lines of No Code
  • mark armmark arm Posts: 962
    Anyone else hate opening acts? I generally try to avoid getting to a concert too early because i can't stand opening acts. With a few exceptions (Pearl Jam opening for the Rolling Stones / No Doubt opening for the Stones / Live opening for Jane's Addiction / and Collective Soul a couple times) I have never enjoyed an opener. Why does there have to be so much racket? Why can't you just sit and *gasp* talk to the people you're with until the band you've paid to see comes on?

hahah this just makes me laugh a lot ! hhah I mean, the ones that you mention are totally crappy ones ! you must be joking right ?

PJ must be the best band in order to select opening acts. They really know about music. You gotta respect that. Too bad most of their fans don't have the same musical tastes. The world will be much better and there won't be no war and possible Mr Bush wouldnt be in Washington DC.

yeah, too bad
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/28/05 - Porto Alegre, BR
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,076
    StoneG82 wrote:
    thats what I plan on doing after Robert Pollard plays his set before Pearl Jam on june 23rd.

you're going to see robert pollard and not stick around for pearl jam? hmmm. to each their own i guess.

i'm just damn happy mmj is opening here in boston.
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    JSBE wrote:
    you're going to see robert pollard and not stick around for pearl jam? hmmm. to each their own i guess.

i'm just damn happy mmj is opening here in boston.

hah no I was joking. I'd never do that.

although I do love me some Bob pollard.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • bluemonkeybluemonkey Posts: 198
    opening acts stink.
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,076
    StoneG82 wrote:
    hah no I was joking. I'd never do that.

although I do love me some Bob pollard.

i was going to say. i mean really, who would sign-up for a pearl jam message board ID, actively post and then not stick around to see them in concert.
  • I look at the opening acts as a great way to discover new music.
  • I like 2 opening acts even better. Many times at First Avenue a relatively A-list band will play the main room with two openers. Great for music junkies.
    "The one's who love us best, are the one's we'll lay to rest. Visit their graves on holidays, at best. The one's who love us least, are the one's we'll die to please..." The Replacements

www.first-avenue.com
  • 3manstack3manstack Posts: 205
    After seeing PJ at the Astoria I know that every gig I go to wont be as good as it, because we didnt have to sit through a crap opening band.

It was lovely, only having to put my ear plugs in once.

And considering PJ's love of shite opening bands (The Vandals!!!???? The Fastbacks???!!!! Death Cab for Students???!!!!

Id be happy to go to a pj gig and not have to deal with tosh like that, always seems like all the decnt bands are too busy when PJ tour so they have to make do with crap bobbins.
  • myrklemyrkle Posts: 6
    http://www.myspace.com.incaseoffireuk

are an ace opening band. You gotta give other bands a chance, they can't get the volume of fans or the huge venues on their own.
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    ...........Pearl Jam were an opening band once.......

When i saw them in 2000 i thought the Vandals were great, they were pretty crazy, felt like they should have been supporting a zany band, not a Pearl Jam that just put out the dark Binaural album, lol.
  • I usually go early check out the opening band for a few minutes and then go get a few beers before PJ comes on. However, MMJ has been fantastic. Talk about rockin. I will never dismiss an opening band again.
    "It's gonna be a long night." e.v. 7/11/03
    3manstack wrote:

And considering PJ's love of shite opening bands (The Vandals!!!???? The Fastbacks???!!!! Death Cab for Students???!!!!

The Fastbacks ? shitty band ? Mate, you gotta wash you ears, they were on of the greatest band ever from the lovely northwest !
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • neartodeathneartodeath Posts: 167
    my morning jacket ABSOLUTELY shred

what was the question? :p
  • Yes Pearl Jam was an opening band, and that's great because I got to see them at my neighborhood rock bar before they were big, and that will always be my favorite memory/show from them. 500 people, lots of beers, and earnest rock.
    "The one's who love us best, are the one's we'll lay to rest. Visit their graves on holidays, at best. The one's who love us least, are the one's we'll die to please..." The Replacements

www.first-avenue.com
  • Clifwith1fClifwith1f Posts: 143
    I hate the idea of opening bands. I just want to see the band I paid to see.
  • CocacolakidCocacolakid Posts: 14
    I've seen a lot of good opening acts, and tons of ones I can't remember because they stunk. But the diamonds in the rough really make it special when you show up early.

Some bands I've been turned onto that were opening bands...

The Soundtrack of Our Lives (opened for Oasis and blew them off the stage, one of the greatest bands in music today, if you haven't checked them out, do it, try their album Behind the Music)

Ben Harper (opening for PJ in 95)

My Morning Jacket (tonight, all other opening bands I've seen with PJ between 1995 and 2006 were mediocre at best)

Cato Salsa Experience (a great, high energy Scandanavian group I saw open for The Soundtrack of Our Lives)
    One man, with a dream at leisure
    Can go out to conquer a crown,
    But three, with a new song's measure
    Can crumble an Empire down.

From "Ode" by Arthur O'Shaunessy (d. 1889)
    mark arm wrote:
    The Fastbacks ? shitty band ? Mate, you gotta wash you ears, they were on of the greatest band ever from the lovely northwest !

i'm w/ you on that one! The Fastbacks are one of my favorite bands! I still listen to them a lot!

MMJ last night was FANTASTIC!
    | valerie |

EXPAND YOUR ELEMENT!
    DesignVHL wrote:
    i'm w/ you on that one! The Fastbacks are one of my favorite bands! I still listen to them a lot!

MMJ last night was FANTASTIC!

right on mate !
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • i hate about 40% of the opening acts that i have seen. however, Bullet For My Valentine (at the GNR concert) was the:

ABSOLUTE WORST BAND I HAVE EVER HEARD IN MY LIFE!!!!!!!!

PPL were booing them and plugging their ears during their set. God, it was torture.
    Whats got the whole world faking?
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    PPL were booing them and plugging their ears during their set. God, it was torture.

yeah, but people would do that at Wolf Eyes too, which totally boggles me.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • jodijodi Posts: 183
    The Bravery opening for Depeche Mode was very nice!
    There's a light,... when my baby's in my arms...
    And I know she's reached my heart,... in thin air