I hate opening acts

Pearls&StonesPearls&Stones Posts: 585
edited May 2006 in Other Music
Anyone else hate opening acts? I generally try to avoid getting to a concert too early because i can't stand opening acts. With a few exceptions (Pearl Jam opening for the Rolling Stones / No Doubt opening for the Stones / Live opening for Jane's Addiction / and Collective Soul a couple times) I have never enjoyed an opener. Why does there have to be so much racket? Why can't you just sit and *gasp* talk to the people you're with until the band you've paid to see comes on?
I love my female wife...
we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Oh man. I love opening acts. Music is my drug. I am never going to object to getting to hear more of it, especially live. If I end up hating the band, oh well. Many times, I find myself loving the opening act. There are even times where the opener outshines the headliner. I guess it's two different perspectives. I am always looking for new bands to get into. Other people clearly aren't. Their loss, I suppose.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    I'm sure some people who went to see the Stones were pissed they had to sit through Pearl Jam or No Doubt. Opening acts give people a 3 hour experience rather than a 1 1/2 hour experience, so ticket prices can be boosted and more beer can be sold.
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    I like opening acts. Sometimes you get a really good one, and if it weren't for them a LOT of smaller bands would never get any kind of mainstream attention
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Hugo Largo blew That Petrol Emotion off the stage, at Cambridge Corn Exchange in 1987.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    some of the best music i never heard of opened shows i couldn't wait for.
  • usernameusername Posts: 48
    On the other end I've been to a show to see the opener, and left after he was done. Jerry Cantrell was opening for Nickelback. That just wasn't right.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I can go either way. Opening bands can be really good, or really bad. It usually is a great way to get to hear new music.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    username wrote:
    On the other end I've been to a show to see the opener, and left after he was done. Jerry Cantrell was opening for Nickelback. That just wasn't right.
    That is wrong in so many ways. He should go play small clubs before he opens for a crap band like that.
  • CM1847 wrote:
    I'm sure some people who went to see the Stones were pissed they had to sit through Pearl Jam or No Doubt. .

Actually, quite the contrary. PNC Park was completely full when Pearl Jam took the stage last fall. And when No Doubt opened (2002-Toronto), they got a great response as well. But generally, it seems a good deal of people don't like openers.

Really, I just hate that there needs to be noise all the time. If I get to the show at a reasonable time, I have to wait in a crowded concourse if I want to talk to the people I'm with. Also, before a ballgame or concert, I hate that they always have loud music blaring through the speakers.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    well if they are good ones, then there is no problemo
  • evoevo Airdrie, Scotland Posts: 185
    i've been to quite a few gigs and i usually try to catch the support act but there has only been 2 that have really stuck out. foo fighters supported the prodigy in about 98 (i think) and saul williams supporting NIN last year.

the rest have ranged from OK to utter drivel.
    Hail Hail
  • I went to see Oceansize but the support act were far better .. People in Planes

.. outrageous plug for an up 'n comin band :DPeople in Planes website

(I'll keep doing it till people take notice ;))
    ♥ ♪ ♪
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 2,922
    I hate people who spend their time in the pub across the road from the gig slowly getting more and more drunk, then turn up to watch the main band 5 minutes after they've started.

You've paid for your ticket, surely it's worth turning up to see the support play? You never know, you may catch a band that blows you away. Fair enough if you know who the support is, and you generally don't like them, but don't just ignore them for the sake of it.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • i've seen alot of open acts that have alot to answer for but i have also seen a few brilliant opening acts. the last time i seen the frames a band dukes special opened for them and they were really good.

i hate people who not only skip the opening act but come in late and insist on getting to the very front. at oxegen last year i seen a small drunk guy got punched for trying to push past this tall guy. was kind of funny

• i hate people who not only skip the opening act but come in late and insist on getting to the very front. at oxegen last year i seen a small drunk guy got punched for trying to push past this tall guy. was kind of funny

these people must die !!
  • rockpantsrockpants Posts: 838
    I can't stand listening to people who figure they don't have to respect the opening act onstage because their little conversation is oh-so important. It's annoying and tactless. No one paid to hear members of the audience to have a pointless drivel competition.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I saw The Arcade Fire open for U2, it was brilliant.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    There are times i've walked out after the opening band because they're the reason I've attended the show.

I'm surprised at the lack of diversity, lack of exploration and degree of musical conservatism on this site.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    you know there are times when the support act does just that. supports the main band and makes the whole experience that much better.oftentimes it's the support act that gets meover the line.
    a couple of years ago i saw the kings of leon support the strokes. truth be told, i only went because i love the KoL.
    rise against supporting SOAD last year was brilliant.
    but then last year i saw ryan adams and he had NO support. he came on and went off three hours later. also brilliant.
    this week i'm going to see the international noise conspiracy and it really won't matter who the heck the support is. i'm there for INC and no one else.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Alessiana wrote:
    I'm surprised at the lack of diversity, lack of exploration and degree of musical conservatism on this site.

well, duh. This place is famous for it.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,076
    Alessiana wrote:
    There are times i've walked out after the opening band because they're the reason I've attended the show.

i've done that a couple times myself...and i would agree with you on the 2nd statement
  • 3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    even though i don't like all of them, i'd rather have an opener before the main act because you might just listen to a band that gives you a whole new perspective or a new band to listen to. Many, many times i've been really impressed w/ openers. Fell in love w/ Steelpole Bathtub only b/c I saw them open for Faith No More. Would probably never had heard of them before. I know Bad Religion and PJ have consistently had very interesting opening bands. you can get introduced to a whole lotta good music. For instance, I found two new bands I enjoy b/c they were opening for someone: Margot and the Nuclear So and So's, and Deadboy and Elephantman. And openers can really set the pace for the show. For instance, at the PJ Seattle 2 '00 show, i got to see Wellwater Conspiracy and RHCP open for PJ. To me, it was the last time RHCP were good live, and to me that was b/c they had to play a little more differently b/c they were only opening...and they ripped the joint up for PJ.
    Live Free or Die!
  • mwgirlmwgirl Posts: 6
    Opening bands are great. You have to start somewhere. If people didn't talk during the whole opening set some people would get exposed to some pretty great music.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    i think the opening act usually says a lot about the band you are seeing. Good bands tend to like to help out other good bands.

I usually enjoy the openers.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • jb13lettersjb13letters Posts: 220
    I try to give the openers a chance. I just hate when there's more than one. Even if they're great, if I'm there for the headliner, that's just too much space.

Example- I'm going to see Dino Jr. tomorrow night, and they have two opening acts- Dead Meadow and Priestless. I like Dead Meadow, and I'm willing to give Priestless a chance, but damnit that means Dinosaur is going to be taking the stage at around 11:30 or midnight. It's not that I'm getting old and can't hang (well, not completely that anyway), but no matter what time I go to bed, the kids are still up at 7:00 AM, at the latest.

Edit: Festival situations are an exception- I'm talking about when one band is headlining.
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
  • JamHead86JamHead86 Posts: 37
    i love opening bands. i have been turned on to sdome great music by getting to shows early. i heard particle open for trey anastasio last year and now they are one of my favorite bands. i also learned about matusyahu when he opened for trey later that summer. robert randolph had two decent bands open for him that i would consider seeing again in a bar or something, the howl and fat maw rooney. and keller williams opened for Umphrey's mcgee over new years and he is just the man. openers are a great way to learn about new music and its never a bad thing to have more live music.
    "I feel it!"- Eddie, during Alive solo, Chicago 2003
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    I love opening acts as well. It's a chance for a lesser known and often local artist to make fans, I think it's great. Most of the time i like the artists because they match the artist well with the type of artist they're opening for but occasionally i've seen a crap one or two but who cares any bonus live music is good in my book:)
  • KricketKricket Posts: 707
    I love opening acts!!! Any form of live music that you can catch is a bonus to the "main act" that your going to see, that's the way I look at it. I've always enjoyed showing up to catch the opening bands whether they're good or not...Live Music Is Better!!!
  • PJ PookPJ Pook Posts: 109
    I love checking out the opening act. I try my hardest to get to a show before they start. I always look at it as a great way to check out a band that I may not pay attention to otherwise. And yes, there are times when I have gone to a show specifically for the opening acts. Granted the opening acts were Black Crowes opening for Oasis (who I don't care for) and Fishbone and STP opening for RHCP. If I was at the BC/Oasis show by myself, I would have left after the Black Crowes were done.
  • spnoonespnoone Posts: 626
    hating opening acts is crazy talk. pearl jam, radiohead, guns n roses, sonic youth, flaming lips, soundgarden, alice in chains, smashing pumpkins and on and on and on... probably better than half the bands i've seen live, i first saw opening for someone else. the audience gets more for their money. the headliner gets challenged to outperform the opener. horizons are broadened. new collaborations happen. bars sell more drinks. bigger audiences come, making your favorite band that much more likely to play your city again. the pro opener arguments are endless.