U2 whats up with that

Comments

• cutback wrote:
    You haven't heard U2 if you are comparing them to shite like Oasis.

I have. And I am.

It's my personal opinion, granted. But I AM a music critic for the New Yorker. :D
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I make those assumptions every time I hear a new U2 song. Trust me, I've heard everything I need to from U2. I never listen to the radio, btw, either.

Pearl Jam are incredibly varied with their sound. U2 established something, liked it, and just like Oasis, never changed anything.

you just proved that you most likely dont know a damn thing about u2. maybe you dont care for their new stuff, but u2 now is nothing like u2 in the 90s, or early u2 in the 80s. to say they havent changed anything in over 25 years is utterly ridiculous and a sign of your ignorance.
  • you just proved that you most likely dont know a damn thing about u2. maybe you dont care for their new stuff, but u2 now is nothing like u2 in the 90s, or early u2 in the 80s. to say they havent changed anything in over 25 years is utterly ridiculous and a sign of your ignorance.

*hug* Well at least we both love Pearl Jam!
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I make those assumptions every time I hear a new U2 song. Trust me, I've heard everything I need to from U2. I never listen to the radio, btw, either.

Pearl Jam are incredibly varied with their sound. U2 established something, liked it, and just like Oasis, never changed anything.
    Are you trying to tell me that "Boy", "The Unforgettable Fire" and "Pop" all sound the same? Give me a break. I think you need open up to them.
    *hug* Well at least we both love Pearl Jam!

which is surprising considering s/t is almost a carbon copy of yield. but i guess being formulaic is ok if you already like the band and are willing to look for excuses to exempt them.
  • which is surprising considering s/t is almost a carbon copy of yield. but i guess being formulaic is ok if you already like the band and are willing to look for excuses to exempt them.

I didn't say Pearl Jam weren't formulaic. I just like the formula :) 1 + 1 = 2. See, it works.

I didn't say Pearl Jam weren't formulaic. I just like the formula :) 1 + 1 = 2. See, it works.

but you said u2 suck for being forumlaic which is 1) not true and 2) apparently not a reason for saying a band sucks (as evidenced by the fact that you dont mind pj being forumlaic). why dont you just admit that you dont care for u2's style of music so you will never give anything they do a fair hearing?
  • Guys while here we are fighting about how good or bad is U2, those guys are drinking together and having fun like friends.

Pearl Jam and Bono celebrate election down under

U2 frontman Bono joined members of Pearl Jam at Sydney, Australia hotspot Hemmesphere on Wednesday night to celebrate US election results.

The Seattle, Washington-based rockers and activists were toasting the success of Democratic candidates in the US midterm elections, which were broadcast via US cable news services.

After their concert on Wednesday, the band partied at the posh nightspot and were joined by good mate Bono from U2 and support band, Kings Of Leon.

Bono and Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder are also expected to make an appearance at the Make Poverty History concert in Melbourne, Australia on November 17.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breaking/story.asp?j=200965724&p=zxx96643x&n=200966484
  • Are you trying to tell me that "Boy", "The Unforgettable Fire" and "Pop" all sound the same? Give me a break. I think you need open up to them.

I'm not trying to tell 'you' anything. I don't think all those albums sound the same. I DO, however, think they all sound like U2, and that 'Pop' was a failed experiment. I just don't like U2. Is that OK, everyone?

• Guys while here we are fighting about how good or bad is U2, those guys are drinking together and having fun like friends.

Pearl Jam and Bono celebrate election down under

U2 frontman Bono joined members of Pearl Jam at Sydney, Australia hotspot Hemmesphere on Wednesday night to celebrate US election results.

The Seattle, Washington-based rockers and activists were toasting the success of Democratic candidates in the US midterm elections, which were broadcast via US cable news services.

After their concert on Wednesday, the band partied at the posh nightspot and were joined by good mate Bono from U2 and support band, Kings Of Leon.

Bono and Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder are also expected to make an appearance at the Make Poverty History concert in Melbourne, Australia on November 17.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breaking/story.asp?j=200965724&p=zxx96643x&n=200966484

I'm not saying U2 aren't probably a very nice bunch of lads. I just think their music sucks. I'd throw down a pint with Bono too if I met him and he had something to celebrate. Probably.

• but you said u2 suck for being forumlaic which is 1) not true and 2) apparently not a reason for saying a band sucks (as evidenced by the fact that you dont mind pj being forumlaic). why dont you just admit that you dont care for u2's style of music so you will never give anything they do a fair hearing?

Every 'fair hearing' I ever gave U2 was 'fairly' boring.

• Nowadays I would agree U2 are pretty formulaic. But before they became bland radio stodge, they did write some good stuff, and they were pretty varied too, try comparing a song like Hold me, Thrill me, Kiss me, Kill me with something like One, Where the streets have no name, Pride etc. Totally different sounds. I think U2's biggest problem is that their activism and political leanings have eclipsed their music.

The less said about the U2/Green Day song the better. I'm a fan of both bands, but it really isn't very impressive at all.

To be fair (on everyone here, apparently), I do like Joshua Tree

I'm not trying to tell 'you' anything. I don't think all those albums sound the same. I DO, however, think they all sound like U2, and that 'Pop' was a failed experiment. I just don't like U2. Is that OK, everyone?

it's fine as long as you admit that it's just not your cup of tea, instead of trying to justify it with some inane (and flat out wrong) excuse about how they're formulaic.

also, ive got to wonder... who should u2 try to sound like if not u2?
  • it's fine as long as you admit that it's just not your cup of tea, instead of trying to justify it with some inane (and flat out wrong) excuse about how they're formulaic.

also, ive got to wonder... who should u2 try to sound like if not u2?

I would prefer they didn't sound like U2, I suppose.

Every 'fair hearing' I ever gave U2 was 'fairly' boring.

that's 'fair enough.' long as you're willing to admit that it's YOUR tastes that lead you to feel they suck, not that the band itself sucks. we're talking about u2 here, not the backstreet boys. by saying they're formulaic, it was like you were trying to apply some objective standard whereby they suck in an objective sense and nobody should like them.
  • that's 'fair enough.' long as you're willing to admit that it's YOUR tastes that lead you to feel they suck, not that the band itself sucks. we're talking about u2 here, not the backstreet boys. by saying they're formulaic, it was like you were trying to apply some objective standard whereby they suck in an objective sense and nobody should like them.

I have a cold and am sneezing all the time. I'm not in a great mood. None of my opinions are objective, but the way I state them is sometimes decidedly 'male'... especially when the winter is getting to my nose. My apologies if I offended you or anyone else. :D

I have a cold and am sneezing all the time. I'm not in a great mood. None of my opinions are objective, but the way I state them is sometimes decidedly 'male'... especially when the winter is getting to my nose. My apologies if I offended you or anyone else. :D

i wasnt offended, just disappointed. you seemed so smart before ;)

i jest!

what does decidedly male mean? never heard that one before...
  • i wasnt offended, just disappointed. you seemed so smart before ;)

i jest!

what does decidedly male mean? never heard that one before...

What the word 'decidedly', or the reason I called my response 'male'?

What the word 'decidedly', or the reason I called my response 'male'?

the latter.... i believe ive heard the word decidedly before ;)
  • the latter.... i believe ive heard the word decidedly before ;)

Yeah you would've done. :D

The latter? When me and my male friends talk music, it tends to be just a slagging match of 'objective' statements. We all believe we've got the best opinion. I thought that's how men discussed most things generally.

I'm more democratic with every other subject, but get me onto music - prepare for some brickbats to be hurled! LOL. Well, it's not that bad. Well, it is. No it isn't. Not really. OK, yeah, it is.

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838

Pearl Jam's music is about 10% as varied as U2's.

PEARL JAM'S MUSIC IS ALL ROCK, AND NOTHING ELSE. THEY MAY HAVE A COUPLE SONGS THAT DON'T FIT THE MOLD, BUT U2 HAS ALBUMS THAT DON'T.
    Yeah you would've done. :D

The latter? When me and my male friends talk music, it tends to be just a slagging match of 'objective' statements. We all believe we've got the best opinion. I thought that's how men discussed most things generally.

I'm more democratic with every other subject, but get me onto music - prepare for some brickbats to be hurled! LOL. Well, it's not that bad. Well, it is. No it isn't. Not really. OK, yeah, it is.

ah ok. yeah, when i talk college football with my guy friends we get that way. we dont argue much about music. most of my friends either dont care, or tend to agree with me.
  • ah ok. yeah, when i talk college football with my guy friends we get that way. we dont argue much about music. most of my friends either dont care, or tend to agree with me.

I guess I've never really liked sport. If I did, blimey I shudder to think...

The bass player of my band is terrible for the 'objective' statement. I've had to develop a good 'throwing arm' when it comes to arguing music (new Pearl Jam for instance, which is 'weak' in his opinion). Granted, this U2 stuff wasn't my best performance. :D Oh well. Never you mind. I'm here all week!

• larslars Posts: 524
    god, you are the worst charicature of a mentally incompetent metalhead ive ever seen. have fun wearing all black, acting angry, beating up kids half your size, and injecting steroids.
    Black is a cool color. Anger is a gift. Beating up kids half your size rules. I don´t inject....I fucking eat steroids.
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
    lars wrote:
    Black is a cool color. Anger is a gift. Beating up kids half your size rules. I don´t inject....I fucking eat steroids.

my bad. sorry dude. just a warning though... those steroids shrink your dick, and given how much you already try to compensate for that through your bad-ass, testosterone-fueled facade, im not sure you've got much room to spare there. but dont worry, im sure your gf will pity you enough to fake it sometimes.
  • larslars Posts: 524
    my bad. sorry dude. just a warning though... those steroids shrink your dick, and given how much you already try to compensate for that through your bad-ass, testosterone-fueled facade, im not sure you've got much room to spare there. but dont worry, im sure your gf will pity you enough to fake it sometimes.
    Yes it was your bad. My gf complains my dick is too big so I guess I´m lucky they make em shrink...thanks for caring though. Your girlfriend is a chick with a dick....ha ha ha
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    I have never understood... U2

(I was going to type a long post with all the reasons i dont like this band but i cant be bothered)
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
    lars wrote:
    Yes it was your bad. My gf complains my dick is too big so I guess I´m lucky they make em shrink...thanks for caring though. Your girlfriend is a chick with a dick....ha ha ha

well played sir. where are you from? i imagine you as olaf from 'clerks.' you seem to have similar taste in what constitutes good music.
  • lars wrote:
    Stop all these U2 threads. Before Pearl Jam claimed their love to U2 no one ever commented or wrote about U2 and suddenly they´re the new fucking hype in town. Apart from being long time rockbands they have nothing in common. Different time, music and love. Now U2 are collaborating with Green Day....what´s next a threesome with U2, PJ and Shakira.

sometimes, there are descriptions for the forums...this one is described as "Expanding our musical horizons: Share your musical interests by discussing other artists you're hearing." now, i didn't make this up...it's right ^ there...see? if i want to talk about u2, i'll talk about u2 whether i started liking them today, after pearl jam mentioned something about them, or ten years ago. you're acting a-fool.
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • I see much more Audioslave threads than any other band here.