Thank Pearl Jam for nu-metal

larslars Posts: 524
edited August 2007 in Other Music
Korn, the founders of nu-metal, sound like Pearl Jam....just a bit heavier. Just listen to blind of the debut....totally eddieish
You can´t trust a vegetarian.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    I do actually like that song but i dont think it sounds like PJ/Ed.

I can see this turning into a 10 page Nu-Metal bashing topic now.... lol
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I thought AIC would have a lot more to do with Nu metal then pearl jam.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • larslars Posts: 524
    intodeep wrote:
    Yeah, you´re right...they definately have a more nu-metalish guitar tunning than PJ
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    lars wrote:
    Korn, the founders of nu-metal, sound like Pearl Jam....just a bit heavier. Just listen to blind of the debut....totally eddieish

if this was a stab at a joke then,
    Now I Get It

if this is really your opinion, you are without a doubt the dumbest fuck i've ever come across. ever.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Are you taking the piss?
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    lars wrote:

yes it does... on lsd.

but that's a pretty good song. i never minded korn. they've got some stellar tunes.
  • DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    lars wrote:
    Pfffft.

There are at least 4 things wrong with this statement.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • intodeep wrote:

yep
    I don't want to be the fool that's behind me but I am...

I'll Hold The Pain... Release...

Yourself
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    paging pjoasisrules... your input about the lack of talent in nu-metal bands is requested in this thread..
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
  • NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    I always thought Pearl Jam was responsible for the Insane Clown Posse, but I guess give them credit for Korn and nu-metal too.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• nepalnepal Posts: 143
    lars wrote:

Ever heard a band called Faith No More, started in the 80´s ?
    ...the dreams ain't broken down here now,
    they're walking with a limp
  • Speaking of Korn...it's funny to see them still around. I thought they died out long ago with Limp Bizkit. But I read they are still releasing new albums. That's impressive. Apparently people still go to their shows as well.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Speaking of Korn...it's funny to see them still around. I thought they died out long ago with Limp Bizkit. But I read they are still releasing new albums. That's impressive. Apparently people still go to their shows as well.

i agree it is pretty impressive. i mean they lost their lead guitarist and drummer, but their still going on supporting fans touring and making new music (although its pretty shitty) ill give them props for sticking together, but as for their music, i think its pretty bad.

oh and their new drummer.........terrible.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Neither PJ or AIC had anything whatsoever to do with nu metal. Thank Faith No More.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • I think Faith No More (innovators) and RATM (Broke into Mainstream) are directly responsible for Nu-Metal, which isn't as bad as everyone says. Korn and System were great and POD, Linkin Park and Papa Roach were ok. Even the first two Limp Bizkit albums were ok, especially 3 dollar bill yall.

This comes from someone whos two favorite bands besides PJ is U2 and Radiohead. So clearly there is some appeal to this type of music for me.

BTW on Topic Korn sounds nothing like PJ. The begining of Blind actually sounds like one of the guitar breaks in the middle of Tool's song Opiate.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
    also the way the singer from slipknot sings sometimes remind me of eddies vocal style. I´m not talking about the screaming but when the singer actually sings he kind of sounds like him.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Korn has some good songs on their first couple albums, their music is nauseating now. By the way, they sound nothing like Pearl Jam. If Korn sounds like a heavy Pearl Jam then Metallica sound like a heavy Beatles.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Neither PJ or AIC had anything whatsoever to do with nu metal. Thank Faith No More.

seriously peeps, WHY should we be thanking anyone for numetal? what we should be doing is sending whoever is responsible explo.....oops better not finish that sentence. ;):D:p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • ahh, I'm no nu metal super fan but, I like a Korn song here and there. I think Issues & Untouchables are very solid. The rest are subpar in comparison.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • glasshouse wrote:
    if this was a stab at a joke then,
    Now I Get It

if this is really your opinion, you are without a doubt the dumbest fuck i've ever come across. ever.
    lmao. agreed. i used to be a die hard korn fan, untill like that last 3 albums, and pj is nothing like them.

dumb thread.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
    Korn has some good songs on their first couple albums, their music is nauseating now. By the way, they sound nothing like Pearl Jam. If Korn sounds like a heavy Pearl Jam then Metallica sound like a heavy Beatles.
    melodic wise I agree on your point there. Beatles and metallica have same melodic structures and buildup
  • OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    I would think that Rage Against The Machine, Faith No More and Red Hot Chili Peppers have a lot more to do with the influence on nu-metal than Pearl Jam. And it would depend on what you mean by nu-metal really. But generally rap/funk fusing with metal riffs is what nu-metal is about, no?

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    "Death to False Metal"

-- Pearl Jam t-shirt

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
    rhinomagic wrote:
    "Death to False Metal"

-- Pearl Jam t-shirt

Without Korn metal would have died out....they took over metallicas throne and evolved metal....and they sound like pearl jam, especially "go" of vs. just not so heavy
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    lars wrote:
    Without Korn metal would have died out....they took over metallicas throne and evolved metal....and they sound like pearl jam, especially "go" of vs. just not so heavy

Lars dude I think you're on your own on this one.
    ...and I also think eddies vocal techniques have begun to resemble fred dursts. Take for instance the song comatose. Here it is fairly clear that he´s trying to expand his vocal cords and intonation.
  • lars wrote:
    ...and I also think eddies vocal techniques have begun to resemble fred dursts. Take for instance the song comatose. Here it is fairly clear that he´s trying to expand his vocal cords and intonation.

Yeah, I have to admit, first time I heard Comatose, I thought it was a Limp Bizkit song.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Yeah, I have to admit, first time I heard Comatose, I thought it was a Limp Bizkit song.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • how come nobody's mentioned the Deftones in a "nu-metal" thread? they're probably the only succesful nu-metal band still around making great music.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
    how come nobody's mentioned the Deftones in a "nu-metal" thread? they're probably the only succesful nu-metal band still around making great music.
    .....not more than korn