When was the last time....

Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
edited August 2008 in Other Music
you were blown away on hearing a new band/artist??
For me its been really long (with the exception of Scott Matthews) but I'm kinda feeling that there is just a real lack of ball-grabbing quality bands out there. Anyone else agree??

I keep listening to these bands that everyone talks about and their not bad or maybe decent but none grab me like the first time I heard PJ or Tool or Bell X1. Maybe its because I'm a little bit older but I looking for someone/band to hear and just be "fuck me who was that??"

:rolleyes:
I need a coffee!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• It's not often that a new band smacks me upside the head, but Kings of Leon's debut did make me say HOLY SHIT!

Edit: I should also add Drive-by Truckers to that. After ignoring them for years mostly on the false premonition I had that they were something they aren't, I bought Brighter Than Creation's Dark and said holy shit too. I had really missed the boat
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    maybe not upon first listen, but the first couple times i listened to kings of leon's becuase of the times. that blew me away. same with yyy's fever to tell. and my morning jackets Z
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    Muse...first time...blown away
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    last two times:
    Band of Horses and Grandaddy
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Probably Mastodon
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Broken Records

Got their promo through student radio in April/May because no one else would take it. Turned out to be great, so saw them live a few weeks ago and it blew my mind.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Everthing these days is slow as shit and is fucking boring.

How many Death Cabs can there possibly be?

I like Death Cab, but I don't need 1900 other bands sounding exactly the same.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• bdgavinbdgavin Posts: 123
    Kings of Leon (2004)

The Strokes (2001)

Arcade Fire (2007)

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah (2006)
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Danimal wrote:
    Everthing these days is slow as shit and is fucking boring.

How many Death Cabs can there possibly be?

I like Death Cab, but I don't need 1900 other bands sounding exactly the same.
    You've heard ALL the music?

wow.

;)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    You've heard ALL the music?

wow.

;)

Mmmm well I haven't heard all the music, but I do research on bands everyday.

A lot of the bands today sound like a 3 year old that pissed his pants.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

Danimal wrote:
    Mmmm well I haven't heard all the music, but I do research on bands everyday.

A lot of the bands today sound like a 3 year old that pissed his pants.
    Agreed but, in the wider spectrum of music, the influx of shitty Death Cab rip-offs make up a tiny, albeit definitely very shitty, fraction of the stuff out there :)

There's always going to be a majority of shite in the mainstream but there's thousands of albums released every month that will never get the recognition they deserve.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Listen to some different music, maybe some new genres, if you think everything sounds the same.
  • I had really missed the boat

MODEST MOUSE
  • Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Bright Eyes
    Stars
    The Raconteurs

And that's just this year.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154

The exact same three for me.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • robfest2robfest2 Posts: 594
    The Hold Steady and Cold War Kids are two who do it for me.
  • Grace Potter and the Nocturnals is the last one I heard that made me say wow and go out and buy both of the albums. They opened for the Black Crowes in Hampton Beach and were amazing! Other than that the last album that blew me away was Continuum by John Mayer. I was not a fan of his other acoustic stuff but when he put out Continuum and the Trio album (I know Trio was first) I was just blown away. Glad someone is able to bring blues back to the mainstream. Even if "Daughters" friggin blows....
    5/24/06 Boston, 6/28/08 & 6/30/08 Mansfield
  • JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    MGMT.. The most original band in a very very long time. They are simply amazing.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I'm thinking mine would be Drive-By Truckers in the fall of 2007. I'd heard some live stuff previously and been turned off by Patterson Hood's voice, but when I finally broke down and bought The Dirty South last fall I was officially blown away. That album give me goose bumps every time.

I've made a lot of great discoveries since then, but I nothing of that caliber has come my way recently.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    When the Twilight Singers' record Powder Burns dropped in 2006 I was convinced it was the second coming. I still think it's the best rock album to have been released in the last five years or so. Kings of Leon are right up there with them too, particularly their last record Becasue Of The Times, and the new one is shaping up to be another belter.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    It'd be the first Strokes album I listened to, Room on Fire. Haven't kept up much with modern music since the 90's, s'why I like this place with all the mention of Alice in Chains, StoneTemplePilots, Soundgarden....... comfort in that bubble of time. I'm always discovering great music from the past though.
    Sun Kil Moon

Salvador Sanchez is probably my favourite song of the last 10 years.
  • yeah yeah yeahs in 2004. the only post 90's band that i actually like alot. i dont listen to much new music and from what i hear i dont like it much. of montreal has a few good songs so does css and architecture in helsinki, but as a whole its kinda meh to me.

when im looking for something new i look to older bands i never checked out. that has a higher rate of stuff i actually like.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    Last year Mars Volta and The Smashing Pumpkins and the album *Zeitgeist*

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• doujodoujo Posts: 285
    Porcupine Tree
  • release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    APC
    QOTSA
    KOL
    Black Keys
    Ben Haprer
    The Raconteurs
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    I just listened to a band called 'Pendulum' today and it blew me away. Listen to 'The Tempest' by them and you will do the same
  • momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    the last band that really made me say WHAT THE FUCK. Honestly. Was Soul Coughing when they opened for Dave Matthews at the fleet center boston bank north boston garden. This was in the mid to late 90's. I have never been so impressed with a band live as I was in that band. I saw them at Great woods. I saw them at the Karma Club. I want to say Lowell as well-->with Everclear when the lead singer started screaming at someone in the crowd. It's all coming back to me now......From the very first song. Their sound, their I still don't know what, the noise, the sound the music that came out of those 3 guys was amazing.

Don't get me wrong. Lots of great bands out there. White Stripes, The Strokes, Rancouters Muse Coldplay QOTSA ...There are tons of great bands. And tons of horrible crap bands.

I have not been that impressed since then. They set some serious standards.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • I'd have to go with Ray Lamontagne. Checked out Til the Sun Turns Black and had to check out Trouble immediately after that. Now i'm counting down the days to gossip in the grain
    MSG II 6/25/08