Options

The Bends vs. OK Computer?: Let's Finally Put It To Rest...

2»

Comments

• Options
    EBowieEBowie Posts: 529
    Both phenomenal. Ok Computer slightly, for me.
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    The Bends...although it's very close for me.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    The Bends...hands down
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    meme wrote:
    I never could figure out how people could think OK computer is a better record than the bends :o
    I guess because it has better songs, arrangements, production and is generally an all round superior album in every single respect, showing a startling increase in maturity of songwriting and musicianship in such a short space of time.

How's that?
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    Hail To The The Thief
    Hail To The Thief
    Hail To The Thief
    Hail To The Thief
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I guess because it has better songs, arrangements, production and is generally an all round superior album in every single respect, showing a startling increase in maturity of songwriting and musicianship in such a short space of time.

How's that?

Took the words right out of my mouth. I mean, it's not even close. My Iron Lung and Fake Plastic Trees are the only songs worth speaking of on that album. Maybe I'll throw in High and Dry. IMO, (and I know this song is a fan fav) Street Spirit is way overrated. When he sings low, it sounds out of tune and it's just repetitive arpeggios being played over and over again.
    "All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives"--Ed
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    the bends is my fave radiohead album. but i openly acknowledge that ok computer is their best album. its just personal preference. :)

Agreed. You said it best.
  • Options
    TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

How's that?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Some of the Bends songs are really good live, but the album sounds too much like something Matchbox 20 would release.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    Oxxys wrote:
    Hail To The The Thief
    Hail To The Thief
    Hail To The Thief
    Hail To The Thief

he he he he he he he he he he
  • Options
    SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    The music press (in the UK) jumped all over Radiohead when 'Creep' was released, then of course 'Pablo Honey' mostly sucked and the music press quickly wrote Radiohead off. 'The Bends' turned up with very little fanfare and quickly falls out of the charts - R.I.P. Radiohead - Or not quite because 'Street Spirit' gets released as the 4th single, and bang! the song huge and 'The Bends' starts selling by the bucketload, and the legend is born.

By the time 'OK Computer' is about to be released RH are once again the critical darlings of the music press - OK get lorded over sells tons and breaks them in America.

My own personal take is 'Ok Computer' is the masterpiece that set the bar for Indy rock music a bar that has yet to be surpassed - I think it's a huge shame RH themselves didn't try to better Ok Computer and instead jump of in a huge tangent and move into a different genre with Kid A. Then when they did sort of comeback to that sound it was halfhearted/halfbaked and to be honest i've found Hail and Rainbows to be 2 very average albums that live of the RH legacy rather than enhance it.

To answer the question : I prefer OK Computer. :)