New U2 Song .. Windows in the skies [Audio]

erickvazdelerickvazdel Posts: 140
edited November 2006 in Other Music
Well here is the new U2 song incluided in their new singles album U218.
http://download.yousendit.com/022EB0271D932A20

What do you think about this new song ???

Anyway ... probably im going to hear that song in Hawaii :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

-let you know in 2 mins
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Well the song is totally different from what I expected.
    But I think is cool.

Nothing amazing .... But its ok
  • Well the song is totally different from what I expected.
    But I think is cool.

Nothing amazing .... But its ok

It's exactly what I expected.

Tame pop/ adult contemporary.

I love the intro but the chorus is only so/so and doubt Bono (unless it's the Edge) can sing that high without the help of computers.

It's OK. I will never complain about having a new U2 song!
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • It's been a while since Larry's drumming was so up front on a song...(probably since "Desire").thanks to Rick Rubin.
    She wears my love like a see-through dress
    Her lips say one thing,her movements something else.
  • Spoutnik wrote:
    It's been a while since Larry's drumming was so up front on a song...(probably since "Desire").thanks ton Rick Rubin.

Yeah Larry's drums sounds really good. I hope that Rick Rubin produce the next entire album.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,840
    Really dig the song. It's U2, it isn't like they are all of a sudden going to play death metal.
  • Thanks for posting it Erick. I wanted to say that first.

Unlike Electrical Storm this one's not going to bait me into buying a new best-of, not that something like that's a real concern now with iTunes. At parts, the song reminds me of their earlier stuff, but that kind of goes away during the parts where the hand of the studio magician is a bit transparent. Overall, I'd say it's OK, if a bit more "tame pop/adult contemporary" than I was expecting. For some reason, I imagine that chorus playing during the trailer of a formulaic holiday film (the aptly titled Holiday, with Diaz and Winslet, would be a prime candidate). Even with the return of the drums to the foreground, the song doesn't exactly set my heart a-pounding in anticipation of the new album, but I don't regret having heard it.
  • So, anyone taking bets as to when we'll first hear this song in a commercial or a movie trailer?

Okay song.
    "It's not British music, it's American music. Now c'mon." -Bob Dylan
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    So, anyone taking bets as to when we'll first hear this song in a commercial or a movie trailer?

Okay song.

aside from vertigo, which was donated to apple for free becos they liked the ipod and itunes concept so much, what u2 songs have been in commercials?
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    damn good. new u2 is just about as good as new pj in my book, i cant wait for the new album
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Well here is the new U2 song incluided in their new singles album U218.
    http://www.yousendit.com/download/L2YsfCIebWw%3D

What do you think about this new song ???

Anyway ... probably im going to hear that song in Hawaii :)

Thanks! I like it very much!! :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • what u2 songs have been in commercials?

I have been thinking about that, and I really can't remember anyone, except Vertigo and the U2 IPOD stuff.
    I have been thinking about that, and I really can't remember anyone, except Vertigo and the U2 IPOD stuff.

that's becos there isnt one. but you wont see the original poster admit that. fact is, u2 have never sold out and they have more integrity in their little finger than most bands will in a career. they're just a punching bag for most rock fans becos most rock fans are jealous that u2 is still relevant and their pet band is not.

granted, u2 these days arent quite as exciting as they used to be... but that doesn't mean they're the anti-christ. what did bob dylan do on his last album that was so diff from anything he's done before? absolutely nothing. yet the fans around here couldnt wait to be on their knees kissing his ass for it. people only accuse u2 of being sellouts becos they dont like their music and fee like adding that caveat will justify it, which is stupid becos it's a valid opinion and needs no justification. you dont like it, so what? doesnt mean they're the corporate whores people here want to pretend they are.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Great song! I agree, it's nice to Larry's drums front and center.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    that's becos there isnt one. but you wont see the original poster admit that. fact is, u2 have never sold out and they have more integrity in their little finger than most bands will in a career. they're just a punching bag for most rock fans becos most rock fans are jealous that u2 is still relevant and their pet band is not.

granted, u2 these days arent quite as exciting as they used to be... but that doesn't mean they're the anti-christ. what did bob dylan do on his last album that was so diff from anything he's done before? absolutely nothing. yet the fans around here couldnt wait to be on their knees kissing his ass for it. people only accuse u2 of being sellouts becos they dont like their music and fee like adding that caveat will justify it, which is stupid becos it's a valid opinion and needs no justification. you dont like it, so what? doesnt mean they're the corporate whores people here want to pretend they are.

I like U2, which is why I totally disagree with you. If you think they aren't corporate whores then you are blind. They even admit they are a corporation. Their music is secondary these days, the main thing is getting the U2 brand out there through many means. Like redundant hits packages, new crappy songs with popular pop punk bands, ipod commercials, tomb raider themed music videos, being on oprah every year, going on muchmusic and claming they love Destiny's Child, doing duet's with Alcia Keyes, having an Irish boyband in their music video for "the sweetest thing", superbowl performances, proclaiming the killers as an important band..im sure there's some things i'm forgetting. They are about as far away from "rock and roll" as you can get these days. Its sad, because like I said, there's a lot of U2 material that I like. In fact they are not even corporate whores, they are pretty much just corporate. Name me another credible rock band that has done as much as U2 to make sure their branding remians popular? They are savvy business men, no doubt. Better businessmen than musicians these days, that's for damn sure.

PS - fogot to add, moving their "corporate" offices from Ireland to the Netherlands so they pay less taxes. I'll come back and add more as I think of them.
  • i like the song although i wouldn't say it blows me away. i could really care less about u2 moving their offices to pay less tax. that isn't selling out, that is being smart and minimising your tax obligations. i find it amazing that a band that has being around for 30 odd years is still relevant and in fact the biggest band in the world.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • It is pretty clear that U2 is not going anywhere fast with this new song.
  • that's becos there isnt one. but you wont see the original poster admit that. fact is, u2 have never sold out and they have more integrity in their little finger than most bands will in a career. they're just a punching bag for most rock fans becos most rock fans are jealous that u2 is still relevant and their pet band is not.

very well said.

Could somebody repost that link or PM me please. Thanks!
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
    This song is proof anew that U2 is the biggest and greatest band in the world. 30 years together and they can still churn out some awesome shit. It isn't groundbreaking, but it is good. And relevant.
    Igottago wrote:
    I like U2, which is why I totally disagree with you. If you think they aren't corporate whores then you are blind. They even admit they are a corporation. Their music is secondary these days, the main thing is getting the U2 brand out there through many means. Like redundant hits packages, new crappy songs with popular pop punk bands, ipod commercials, tomb raider themed music videos, being on oprah every year, going on muchmusic and claming they love Destiny's Child, doing duet's with Alcia Keyes, having an Irish boyband in their music video for "the sweetest thing", superbowl performances, proclaiming the killers as an important band..im sure there's some things i'm forgetting. They are about as far away from "rock and roll" as you can get these days. Its sad, because like I said, there's a lot of U2 material that I like. In fact they are not even corporate whores, they are pretty much just corporate. Name me another credible rock band that has done as much as U2 to make sure their branding remians popular? They are savvy business men, no doubt. Better businessmen than musicians these days, that's for damn sure.

PS - fogot to add, moving their "corporate" offices from Ireland to the Netherlands so they pay less taxes. I'll come back and add more as I think of them.

1. we've discussed the hits packages ad nauseum. it was a record company decision to fill a gap in their catalogue: a one disc compilation spanning their career. neither excessive nor unreasonable.

2. you may not like green day, but they were making their music long before that sound became hip. i think they've established that they are no more imitators than pearl jam is. to dismiss green day becos they spawned a shit load of crappy imitators is stupid. we ought to dismiss pearl jam for giving us nickelback and creed if you're gonna go that route. that said, i think green day sucks, but i dont think u2 collaborating with them is in any way shameful.

3. i already discussed the ipod commercial. try reading it. then tell me what other commercial they've done. i admire the fact that their support of ipod is a big fuck you the the record industry. do you prefer the metallica approach to what u2 is doing?

4. destiny's child... ive got no defense except that sometime people have poor tastes. ed likes sparta (who blows), i consider hootie and the blowfish a guilty pleasure. we've all got them. given that they are diehard music fans, i dont think you can condemn the band just for liking a group you don't.

5. alicia keyes is a legitimate talent. i dont care for her, but ive no qualms and i respect them for branching out a bit. did you bitch when pearl jam dueted with victoria williams? or when ed played with bryan adams and noel gallagher?

6. pearl jam has also contributed to soundtracks. any band that does this and does videos will tie the two together. not every band has pearl jam's oppositions to videos.

7. i dont know a thing about irish boybands, but they appear in a video. big frickin deal. if the band starts choreographing dance moves and letting other people write their songs, then ill worry that they've gone boy band.

8. the killers is again a matter of taste. i think pearl jam's on crack when they talk up kings of leon or sparta. but there you have it.

9. super bowl performance. that's crappy, no doubt. i didnt watch it. it's the only point i might give you. didnt they do a big 9/11 tribute with it?

10. ah-ha... your REAL reason for the u2 hatred... you dont like their music anymore. they're too soft for you and you want something harder. fine. knock yourself. i never said you had to like them. but own up and admit that they've gone soft and stop acting like you were betrayed or trying to create some objective criteria by which we should all see things your way.
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    1. we've discussed the hits packages ad nauseum. it was a record company decision to fill a gap in their catalogue: a one disc compilation spanning their career. neither excessive nor unreasonable.

2. you may not like green day, but they were making their music long before that sound became hip. i think they've established that they are no more imitators than pearl jam is. to dismiss green day becos they spawned a shit load of crappy imitators is stupid. we ought to dismiss pearl jam for giving us nickelback and creed if you're gonna go that route. that said, i think green day sucks, but i dont think u2 collaborating with them is in any way shameful.

3. i already discussed the ipod commercial. try reading it. then tell me what other commercial they've done. i admire the fact that their support of ipod is a big fuck you the the record industry. do you prefer the metallica approach to what u2 is doing?

4. destiny's child... ive got no defense except that sometime people have poor tastes. ed likes sparta (who blows), i consider hootie and the blowfish a guilty pleasure. we've all got them. given that they are diehard music fans, i dont think you can condemn the band just for liking a group you don't.

5. alicia keyes is a legitimate talent. i dont care for her, but ive no qualms and i respect them for branching out a bit. did you bitch when pearl jam dueted with victoria williams? or when ed played with bryan adams and noel gallagher?

6. pearl jam has also contributed to soundtracks. any band that does this and does videos will tie the two together. not every band has pearl jam's oppositions to videos.

7. i dont know a thing about irish boybands, but they appear in a video. big frickin deal. if the band starts choreographing dance moves and letting other people write their songs, then ill worry that they've gone boy band.

8. the killers is again a matter of taste. i think pearl jam's on crack when they talk up kings of leon or sparta. but there you have it.

9. super bowl performance. that's crappy, no doubt. i didnt watch it. it's the only point i might give you. didnt they do a big 9/11 tribute with it?

10. ah-ha... your REAL reason for the u2 hatred... you dont like their music anymore. they're too soft for you and you want something harder. fine. knock yourself. i never said you had to like them. but own up and admit that they've gone soft and stop acting like you were betrayed or trying to create some objective criteria by which we should all see things your way.

They're not too soft for me..they're too boring. I don't care about heavyness in terms of sound , I care about the emotional impact of music. And U2 used to bring it in spades. Not the case anymore. I never acted like I was betrayed. I'm just calling a spade a spade. They are a very, very, very, very corporate band. And sometimes I can see why they do what they do. Sometimes I can't. You're the one pretending they are still somehow anti-establishment. They are the establishment. They are adult contemporary. They might as well be Bill Gates.

And as far as the Destiny's Child and Alicia Keyes points: I actually agree, Alicia Keyes is extremely talented, and so is Destiny's Child in their way (i'm not a fan of either)..but when was the last time U2 actually went out on a limb and helped out a decent rock band that could actually use the press? U2 seem only to associate with bands who already have success, eg. Green Day. Does Bono go home and listen to Destiny's Child? If so, he has shitty taste. Same thing with the Killers...they were already the buzz band and suddenly they tour with U2 and Bono claims they are the next great thing (even though the Killers suck and will be forgotten very soon). That Irish boyband that was in sweetest thing...did they need the help? Or should the "we come from punk rock" guys in U2 rather have helped a struggling real band with some talent? When was the last time Bono turned you onto a really good band that you knew very little about?

Bottom line for me, is that they are more of a business model now than a rock band. They create extremely safe, digestible music. They don't rub anyone the wrong way. They basically cater to everyone. Which is fine. That's their goal. They admit that's their goal. They want everyone to like their music, buy their music. So the less challenging the music, the more heavy handed the marketing, the more people will like you. Simple as that. I don't see how you can deny that. I don't see how you can't agree that their primary goal is extending the U2 brand, not making awe inspiring music, which they used to do. They are very clever though, at acting like they are still somewhat anti-establishment/dangerous/rock n roll, while still striving for mainstream success. They walk that line very well. Its brilliant. Too bad the music isn't.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    the link is done. i missed it, but i am not so sure what i missed??
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
    U2 kicks ass. Always have, and always will. End of story.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    direwolf74 wrote:
    U2 kicks ass. Always have, and always will. End of story.

i don't disagree. however, i think i saw them at the best possible time. right after the unforgettable fire came out....
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
    kdpjam wrote:
    i don't disagree. however, i think i saw them at the best possible time. right after the unforgettable fire came out....

I don't know about that. I saw them in Montreal in 2001, and it was quite simply the greatest rock show I've ever witnessed. But you're lucky to have seen them back then. That must have been a killer show. Was that in '85??

-Tom Waits
  • The link is working ....
  • The link is working ....

It says its expired and reached its limit for me.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    It says its expired and reached its limit for me.

Bit like U2.

Fair enough if people like them, but i think they have gotten progressively worse over the years, and i didnt partciularly like their earlier stuff to begin with. I think their new material is horrendous to be honest.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
    stu gee wrote:
    Bit like U2.

Fair enough if people like them, but i think they have gotten progressively worse over the years, and i didnt partciularly like their earlier stuff to begin with. I think their new material is horrendous to be honest.

Well, thanks for that. I'm sure the millions of people who bought their album, and the millions of people that go to their sold-out shows, will disagree with you. But Pearl Jam is just getting better and better right (Riot Act, Binaural)?
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Well, thanks for that. I'm sure the millions of people who bought their album, and the millions of people that go to their sold-out shows, will disagree with you. But Pearl Jam is just getting better and better right (Riot Act, Binaural)?

Jesus man, i was only kidding on!

And i love binaural and the newest self titled album. Riot act isnt my favourite if im honest but still has a few good songs.

I dont mind if people disagree with me, as i said, fair enough if people like them, its their ears not mine.

Im not speaking for the millions of people who like them am i? Its just my personal opinion.

Also, im not sure if this is what you meant, but the fact millions of people buy their albums and go to their shows doesnt mean much, same can be said of britney spears or pussycat dolls and i still dont like them.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.