Bands like PJ

GorthaurGorthaur Posts: 7
edited December 2007 in Other Music
Hello, I dont come here often....never, actually, but I thought some of you guys might help me out.

Ive been wanting to get into more straight up rock (since I almost exclusively listen to heavy metal), and Pearl Jam has always been my favorite rock band. While I have no trouble finding bands of my own, theres a dilemma...

Do you guys know of ANY band with a similar sound to Pearl Jam? Whenever somebody points a band out to me...they sound nothing like pearl Jam. People always direct me to these pop/punk bands, I dont know why.

So, any bands out there a Pearl Jam fan would really like?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• nutmeg81nutmeg81 Posts: 627
    well now thats a hard question man!!

i myself have a very wide music tatse......funk, soul, ska, punk, indie, rock...
    and with PJ bein my fave band, indeed since i was 13...waaaaaaaay back
    if i was to suggest one act it may not be what ya want.....then again u
    dont really want to listen to bands who sound like PJ do ya?? would that
    not get a bit boring??

anyway rock bands i like: Therapy?.........Pixies....the Hold Steady......

not PJ sounding but excellent!
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
  • Incubus are influenced by pj, in music as well as attitude and the way they operate as a band. They don't sound like PJ, but there are a few moments on A Crow Left of the Murder that sound a little PJish. It was also produced by Brendan O'brien.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    Creed? :)

Just kidding!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • nutmeg81nutmeg81 Posts: 627
    LukinFan wrote:
    Creed? :)

Just kidding!

lol lol lol
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    tragically hip
    black crowes
    silverchair
    wilco
    built to spill
  • pjjjpjjj Posts: 43
    maybe some Stone Temple Pilots?
  • chikevinchikevin Posts: 421
    tragically hip
    black crowes
    silverchair
    wilco
    built to spill
    sliverchair?
    i don't get the whole 'silverchair' thing that's going on lately. can you give me a song where PJ sounds like 'straight lines'?
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    The Tragically Hip
    Wintersleep
    The Hold Steady
    Matt Mays & El Torpedo
    Sam Roberts
    Drive-By Truckers
    The Black Crowes

None of these bands sound like Pearl Jam, but they all kick ass.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    it seems like alot of PJ fans have a very wide variety in our taste in music. heres some bands you might consider if you like pearl jam:

Soundgarden
    Alice in Chains
    Audioslave
    Dave Matthews Band (only because they also seem to have a strong fanbase and alot live recordings like PJ)
    Smashing Pumpkins
    The Who
    Radiohead

and i also happen to like rush, primus, and dream theater. although they sound nothing like PJ.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Pearl Jam are pretty distinct in my opinion
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Pearl Jam are pretty distinct in my opinion
    Exactly what I was going to say. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    wolfbear wrote:
    Exactly what I was going to say. :)

Really, they might have a song or two similar to another band but I just cant think of anybody that I would say are like them as a whole. I cant believe some of the bands people are naming as similar to them, this thread must be a joke or something.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Really, they might have a song or two similar to another band but I just cant think of anybody that I would say are like them as a whole. I cant believe some of the bands people are naming as similar to them, this thread must be a joke or something.
    Yep, they are rock, but unique and diverse which is what drew me to them in the
    first place. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Pearl Jam has a sound all their own IMO. But I would have to say the second best 'straight up rock' band is easily...

The Tragically Hip

Just go buy the greatest hits (Titled "Yer Favorites"). I've personally used that collection to convert 4 people since it has come out; 100% success rate.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Definatly 'The Tragically Hip'.
    I only discovered them last year, ironically from this forum (there is a huge thread dedicated to them somewhere), since then I've brought all their albums (all 10 of them) and love them to bits.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I have always thought My Morning Jacket was a similar band to Pearl jam. I say that because both bands are just putting their own flavor on classic rock. sure each band does it a little different you don't want them to be an exact copy but they both jam. MMJ lyrics are not as good as pj's but they are not horrible.

Also for more old school smashing pumpkins, stone temple pilots, and others were similar.

Built to Spill gets mentioned often. i don't think they are anything like pearl jam really but they are a great band and for some reason pj fans seem to dig them. Maybe it is the sonic patterns in the guitar sounds. When i was 19 a person i met told me if i like pearl jam i'll love BtS. Got the album was not blown away by it. A few years later i checked them out again and they are one of my fav bands now.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    chikevin wrote:
    sliverchair?
    i don't get the whole 'silverchair' thing that's going on lately. can you give me a song where PJ sounds like 'straight lines'?

good point, if a band releases one song that doesn't fit, they cannot sound like pearl jam. let's take it one further and if they have different songs, they can't be used in this thread eh?

silverchair is a pretty straightforward classic rock band that dabbles into various different styles now and again.

young modern station
    low
    greatest view
    the lever
    emotion sickness
  • Most of the bands people are mentioning here are either A) Already known by anyone who used to be under the VH1 spell (back when it was at least a bit good), or B) dont sound like PJ at all.

I mean, even if PJ has a sound all to their own, honestly...Audioslave? Come on guys (not that I have anything against Audioslave. Their first album was interesting. Second one was boring as hell)

And my ideals go against listening to Smashing Pumpkins (sorry if it bothers you guys haha Im just not that much into such an alternative sound)

I just consider PJ to be a modern day The Who, if you can believe that. Some guys have mentioned bands here that I will look into, if they have that classic rock jam vibe PJ has. They also have a seriousness to their sound...most bands Ive listened to that people compare them with just sound...teen-ish. While PJ has always had this mature quality to it. It doesn't sound pop AT ALL. They never were these kids living with mom trying to make sense of the world (which seems to be the trend in most of these weird, rock indie bands I mostly see around. No offense, that's just my interpretation)

If the bands mentioned here dont work, I may just then stick to stoner/doom as my straight rock fix (besides PJ of course)
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    Melkor20 wrote:
    I just consider PJ to be a modern day The Who, if you can believe that. Some guys have mentioned bands here that I will look into, if they have that classic rock jam vibe PJ has.

chords:
    Breakerfall = I Can See For Miles
    Soon Forget = Blue, Red, Grey

i can see the links alright, and totally agree with the rest of your post too. when i think of similar bands i think of The Who, REM, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young (Off He Goes, I Got Shit). PJ are more guitar focused than all of these bands i know but they lift whole chord progressions from these musicians and many of their songs can be traced to being inspired by those guys. as for mccready he reminds me of the little bits of Iron Maiden and Scorpions guitar that i know.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Only Living Witness. put out 2 records in the 90s then broke up. best band you've never heard of. coulda been the East Coast's answer to grunge.

http://www.myspace.com/olw
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    musically/vocally/stylistically, the band that imo is most similar to PJ would be the Screaming Trees. except since the Screaming Trees came first, it would be PJ who is similar to them, and not vice versa.
  • Well if your into the whole grunge scene listen to

Alice in chains
    Nirvana
    Screaming Trees
    Soundgarden
    Marcy Playground
    Stone Temple Pilots
    blind melon (later albums)
    afghan wigs
  • chikevinchikevin Posts: 421
    good point, if a band releases one song that doesn't fit, they cannot sound like pearl jam. let's take it one further and if they have different songs, they can't be used in this thread eh?

silverchair is a pretty straightforward classic rock band that dabbles into various different styles now and again.

young modern station
    low
    greatest view
    the lever
    emotion sickness
    please...

gimme an example where silverchair sounds ANYTHING like pearl jam. they didn't in the 90's and they don't today.
    classic rock. blech.
  • no one sounds like pearl jam. not even creed
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
    chikevin wrote:
    please...

gimme an example where silverchair sounds ANYTHING like pearl jam. they didn't in the 90's and they don't today.
    classic rock. blech.

greatest view.

blech to silverchair or to classic rock? im guessing you're basing your opinion on the only silverchair single you've heard since tomorrow?
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    Split up now.but Grant Lee Buffalo are pure quality, and Grant Lee Phillips(lead singer) has solo albums that are not too shabby either!Check out

Mockingbirds
    Fuzzy
    Lone Star Song
    Its the Life
    Jupiter and Teardrop
    Bethlehem Steel

for starters.
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Pearl Jam don't sound like Pearl Jam from one album to the next.
    That's why we love 'em!
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    pjjj wrote:
    maybe some Stone Temple Pilots?
    the closest answer really, maybe Soundgarden too. When the single Plush came there were many (casual fuckers) who thought they were PJ.
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    The wonder list:
    Default, silverchair, nickelback, puddle of mudd, Creed, Army of anyone, alter bridge, and the worse of them: the calling