Robert Plant solo albums

2»

Comments

• eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    I luv Fate of the Nations. Killer tracks like "Calling to You", "29 Palms", "I believe", etc.

yeah, been listening to it at work just now and definitely liking it. :)

think I like Dreamland a bit more, but both are great.

oh! and two cool Robert Plant-related things in two days. :D firstly, I was listening to the radio last night when I couldn't sleep and one station actually played Rich Woman from Raising Sand!!! Finnish stations nearly NEVER play all that kinda cool stuff. though the same station has once played Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman), this was rather late.. I think 2:30 AM, and they instantly got all this feedback from the listeners asking what are they doing playing songs that "loud" at that time of the night. lol.

and the other cool thing. like said, I'm just listening to Fate of Nations at work. so, this guy comes up to the counter to rent his movie and suddenly asks me "is this Fate of Nations?" I must've looked dumbfounded cause then he added "the album by Robert Plant?". :D so I said yeah. he said he'd not heard these songs in 12 years or so.

we exchanged a few words about mr. Plant's other solo stuff and finally he said "it's nice to meet fans of good music every once in a while".

yey!!

too bad he doesn't live here..
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    I recall seeing Plant in concert on the Manic Nirvana tour. That album doesn't age particularly well, but the last song ("Watching You") is just incredible. I think it stands up to anything else he's ever done. He opened with that song during the show.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Let us not forget, Phil Collins took the drums on most tracks from Pictures at Eleven and The Principle of Moments. I've gotta copy of the former record somewhere.
    DocChicago wrote:
    I recall seeing Plant in concert on the Manic Nirvana tour. That album doesn't age particularly well, but the last song ("Watching You") is just incredible. I think it stands up to anything else he's ever done. He opened with that song during the show.

lucky you! :) I wish I could see him live one day.. :D
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    I agree with what everyone has said about his solo stuff. There are a lot of great forgotten songs in his solo catalog. I only have "Now and Zen", but it's a great album. I have listened to "Fate of Nations" a lot and it's also really good.

I remember "Why" from "Now and Zen" came on my ipod on shuffle one day and I was blown away. I really need to get his other solo albums.

I saw him twice on the Plant/Page tour (95 & 98) and it was great both times, but those tours were more Zep heavy.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
    rrivers wrote:
    I agree with what everyone has said about his solo stuff. There are a lot of great forgotten songs in his solo catalog. I only have "Now and Zen", but it's a great album. I have listened to "Fate of Nations" a lot and it's also really good.

I remember "Why" from "Now and Zen" came on my ipod on shuffle one day and I was blown away. I really need to get his other solo albums.

I saw him twice on the Plant/Page tour (95 & 98) and it was great both times, but those tours were more Zep heavy.

he really is mindblowing! when I first started listening to Zeppelin (not too long ago) I was completely mesmerized by the greatness of the whole band and in particular Plant's vocal style.

and then I started listening to his solo stuff, first got Raising Sand and then Mighty ReArranger and it's all this very different stuff than Zep.. but oh my god! there's a certain "vibe" in his voice that makes it irresistible to me. :D
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    eMMI wrote:
    he really is mindblowing! when I first started listening to Zeppelin (not too long ago) I was completely mesmerized by the greatness of the whole band and in particular Plant's vocal style.

and then I started listening to his solo stuff, first got Raising Sand and then Mighty ReArranger and it's all this very different stuff than Zep.. but oh my god! there's a certain "vibe" in his voice that makes it irresistible to me. :D

Yeah it's really good. The cool thing is how he tries different things and is not trying to duplicate Zeppelin because it would only sound watered down. His experiementation is similiar to another band who's message board I frequent.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    rrivers wrote:
    Yeah it's really good. The cool thing is how he tries different things and is not trying to duplicate Zeppelin because it would only sound watered down. His experiementation is similiar to another band who's message board I frequent.

I love 66 to Timbuktu, Disk 2. It goes from Rock to disco to mid-east to rockabilly to what almost sounds like children's music. It is really great stuff!
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • "Fate of Nations" and "Dreamland" are both excellent. "Dreamland" is mostly covers, but he does them very well. If you like "Mighty Rearranger" then you'll like "Dreamland," I think.

Somewhat off topic, but I think the version of "Rain Song" from UnLedded is absolutely amazing.
    "Fate of Nations" and "Dreamland" are both excellent. "Dreamland" is mostly covers, but he does them very well. If you like "Mighty Rearranger" then you'll like "Dreamland," I think.

Somewhat off topic, but I think the version of "Rain Song" from UnLedded is absolutely amazing.

yeah, I've got both of those. :) love Dreamland! I love the way he does (and Zeppelin did) covers/reworkings of songs, making them his own in a way. :)
    right, two more additions to my CD collection. :D

I've now got Now And Zen plus Manic Nirvana. :) got them today, managed to give both one listen through and am currently carrying Now and Zen to with me, to listen to on the bus.

also, I was wondering if yous could help me.. a friend of mine apparently has a version of Mighty ReArranger that has (I think it's a separate CD) live versions of the songs and also a live version of Whole Lotta Love.. was this some sort of special-special edition, with limited copies? or just an UK edition or something? or what? :)
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    eMMI wrote:
    also, I was wondering if yous could help me.. a friend of mine apparently has a version of Mighty ReArranger that has (I think it's a separate CD) live versions of the songs and also a live version of Whole Lotta Love.. was this some sort of special-special edition, with limited copies? or just an UK edition or something? or what? :)

That's the French edition. I had to navigate through Amazon's France website not knowing a word of French. I finally made it and the CD arrived. You're right- Disk 2 is a live set. In fact, the most amazing sound quality I have ever heard for any live recording. It isn't a complete show but most of one. There was Mighty Rearranger songs and Zeppelin songs. That version of Whole Lotta Love was amazing. I would strongly recommend getting that live set. Tin Pan... from Mighty Rearranger is thunderous on that disk. Here is the Disk 2 set:
    Mighty ReArranger was sold in France with a bonus disc of live tracks recorded at Studio 104 in Paris on June 9, 2005.

"Shine It All Around"
    "Black Dog"
    "Freedom Fries"
    "When the Levee Breaks"
    "All the King's Horses"
    "Takamba"
    "Tin Pan Valley"
    "Gallows Pole"
    "The Enchanter"
    "Whole Lotta Love"
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
    That's the French edition. I had to navigate through Amazon's France website not knowing a word of French. I finally made it and the CD arrived. You're right- Disk 2 is a live set. In fact, the most amazing sound quality I have ever heard for any live recording. It isn't a complete show but most of one. There was Mighty Rearranger songs and Zeppelin songs. That version of Whole Lotta Love was amazing. I would strongly recommend getting that live set. Tin Pan... from Mighty Rearranger is thunderous on that disk. Here is the Disk 2 set:
    Mighty ReArranger was sold in France with a bonus disc of live tracks recorded at Studio 104 in Paris on June 9, 2005.

"Shine It All Around"
    "Black Dog"
    "Freedom Fries"
    "When the Levee Breaks"
    "All the King's Horses"
    "Takamba"
    "Tin Pan Valley"
    "Gallows Pole"
    "The Enchanter"
    "Whole Lotta Love"

ooh! All the King's Horses!? I love that song!!!!! :)

hmm. as soon as I've got some "extra" money, I'm definitely gonna have to start taking action towards getting that CD. :D thanks a mil for the info.