Robert Plant solo albums

eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
edited May 2008 in Other Music
I've got Raising Sand and Mighty ReArranger, what should I go for next? :)
"Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    I liked *Big Log* and *Now and Zen* and I met the guy once. On his Big Log Tour he went bowling at the Circle Lanes Bowling Alley in Hampton VA. I bowled two lanes over from him and said hi and shook his hand.

Nice fella terrible bowler. :)

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    g under p wrote:
    I liked *Big Log* and *Now and Zen* and I met the guy once. On his Big Log Tour he went bowling at the Circle Lanes Bowling Alley in Hampton VA. I bowled two lanes over from him and said hi and shook his hand.

Nice fella terrible bowler. :)

Peace

ooh! seems like focking everyone I mention him to has met the guy! :o happy for you though. :D
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • if you like Page and Plant, Walking into Clarksdale is good. If that counts.
    MrSmith wrote:
    if you like Page and Plant, Walking into Clarksdale is good. If that counts.

well why not? :) what's it like? what kind of songs?
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    eMMI wrote:
    ooh! seems like focking everyone I mention him to has met the guy! :o happy for you though. :D

Back then I was in school and waited tables at Denny's and security at the Hampton Coliseum. In the 80's the Hampton Coliseum was the #1 concert venue on the east coast, everyone played there and I mean EVERYONE! Well over a 100 concerts a year.

I heard from the grapevine he wanted to bowl I mention Circle Lanes where I bowled and it must have gotten back to his people and of course I was there.

That night he put on a great show with not much Led Zep stuff. :(

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• MrSmith wrote:
    if you like Page and Plant, Walking into Clarksdale is good. If that counts.

Is that the one with Please Read The Letter on it?
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Is that the one with Please Read The Letter on it?

Well, I went to the bother of looking it up, and yes it is. :D

Emmi, Please Read The Letter from Raising Sand is a cover of one of the Page & Plant songs from that album. :)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    Well, I went to the bother of looking it up, and yes it is. :D

Emmi, Please Read The Letter from Raising Sand is a cover of one of the Page & Plant songs from that album. :)

ahh yes! I actually knew that. :)
  • i couldnt remember :) i lost my cd ages ago, but remember i liked it.

Its kinda like Zeppelin, but not ;) (i'm terrible at explaining these things). i think they were going for a bluesy, simpler sound (hence the Clarksdale name). it sounds dark to me. i just like it, thats all.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I've not heard Walking into Clarksdale and don't particularly want to but as the pit's resident Steve Albini worshipper I will recommend it anyway. I know a lot of fans of Page and Plant thought the production ruined it but they don't know Albini like I do!!! :o:p
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I've not heard Walking into Clarksdale and don't particularly want to but as the pit's resident Steve Albini worshipper I will recommend it anyway. I know a lot of fans of Page and Plant thought the production ruined it but they don't know Albini like I do!!! :o:p

((why doesn't this board have a smiley that's less eek-ed than the eek-one while being confused but not as confused as the confused one??))

fair enough. :p
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:

Hehe... On the other hand, they just might have heard the album. :p

And yes, I realise that was the joke.
    Hehe... On the other hand, they just might have heard the album. :p

And yes, I realise that was the joke.
    Hehe. The way I see it is, considering Albini records bands as they actually sound and claims that if a sound is on one of the records he's touched then that is exactly what was played, if the sound is shit then it's the band's fault :D

Albini > Page & Plant.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    eMMI wrote:
    ((why doesn't this board have a smiley that's less eek-ed than the eek-one while being confused but not as confused as the confused one??))

fair enough. :p
    The smileys are so insufficient on this board.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:

now that you mention it it was kinda 'clean' sounding, but i liked it. It was smooth. I'm more of a production snob now than then though.

damn, i want to hear it again now.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    The smileys are so insufficient on this board.

aye. I often find myself frustrated and making the face I'd want on a smiley as I'm typing. :o not a very good habit at work. :eek:
    MrSmith wrote:
    now that you mention it it was kinda 'clean' sounding, but i liked it. It was smooth. I'm more of a production snob now than then though.

damn, i want to hear it again now.
    Smooth? :eek: never heard anyone say that about his production before. "too raw", "muddy", "flat" are the general offenders :D

I love it. He records drums better than anyone else in the world. Having not heard Walking into Clarksdale I am not sure if there is much drum work on there.
  • reversedarwinismreversedarwinism Posts: 1,151
    Dream Land is an excellent album. Its the one before Mighty Rearranger, circa 2002. Its less "pop" than his previous solo albums from the 80s. Clarksdale is decent.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Clarksdale is solid. If I had to compare it to Zep, I would say it's closer the Physical Graffiti and Houses of the Holy than the first four. There's a lot of Middle Eastern influence on it. The only thing I didn't like about it is that i would have liked to hear more Page solos. I had no problems with the production. It's true that there isn't alot of separation on the guitar tracks, so some of them do sound a little "muddy," but I thought it fit the songs.

Upon a Golden Horse has a pretty cool orchestration and a nice (but too short) guitar break on it. Walking Into Clarksdale has a cool riff and some nice solos. Burning Up and Sons of Freedom are good rockers and Burning Up has a good solo.

The drummer on the album is actually pretty great. I believe the drummer and bassist were the rhythm section for Plant's solo band at the time.

As far as Plant solo albums, I second the recommendation for Dreamland. I remember liking Manic Nirvana a lot when it came out, but I haven't listened to it in years and I'm not sure how it holds up.
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    Walking into Clarksdale is ok, ruined by the production IMO. Actually, the drums do sound pretty good, but the guitar work is muddy and unfocused. Get Plant's Sixty Six to Timbuktu, it has stuff from pre-Led Zep up to the Page/Plant era
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,854
    eMMI wrote:
    I've got Raising Sand and Mighty ReArranger, what should I go for next? :)

my favorite is Fate of Nations. check it out
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    Now and Zen was a pretty good album.
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Principle of Moments was cool...big log, little by little (I think that was on PoM)...I've got the vinyls lying around someplace...and some cool old RP tour programs. Never met the guy, though...
    be philanthropic
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    The first one worth bothering with is Now and Zen from 86 I think, then in turn they are all decent records, Manic Nirvana (89), Fate of Nations (93). I'll leave commenting on the Page Plant stuff, it wasn't for me, I really love the next proper solo record, Dreamland. It's simply magnificent, the first he recorded with Strange Sensation, a lot of old covers with some new twists, really atmospheric record.
    Then of course you're up to speed, Mighty Rearranger and Raising sand.

I am praying he reunites with his great old mates and do a tour and album, I really miss RP & the Strange Sensation, what a fabulous noise they made, current and worthy and progressive...not just a stroll down memory lane;)

I read an interview this week where he said "I don't want to just fanny around warming my hands on my own legend...", gotta love him for wanting to keep creating :)

This was on Dreamland :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=030ZpykP5Z0

this was on Now and Zen, notingly he used samples from Zepp here and Jimmy also worked on this album, not much though.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgH002XAVyY

this was on Manic Nirvana
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsrlqZkB-CA

this was on Fare of Nations
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YIjUD09xRA
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
    jamie uk wrote:
    The first one worth bothering with is Now and Zen from 86 I think, then in turn they are all decent records, Manic Nirvana (89), Fate of Nations (93). I'll leave commenting on the Page Plant stuff, it wasn't for me, I really love the next proper solo record, Dreamland. It's simply magnificent, the first he recorded with Strange Sensation, a lot of old covers with some new twists, really atmospheric record.
    Then of course you're up to speed, Mighty Rearranger and Raising sand.

I am praying he reunites with his great old mates and do a tour and album, I really miss RP & the Strange Sensation, what a fabulous noise they made, current and worthy and progressive...not just a stroll down memory lane;)

I read an interview this week where he said "I don't want to just fanny around warming my hands on my own legend...", gotta love him for wanting to keep creating :)

This was on Dreamland :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=030ZpykP5Z0

this was on Now and Zen, notingly he used samples from Zepp here and Jimmy also worked on this album, not much though.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgH002XAVyY

this was on Manic Nirvana
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsrlqZkB-CA

this was on Fare of Nations
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YIjUD09xRA

thanks. :D though vid #1 isn't available in my country and I can't watch them now anyway. but I just checked to see if I recognised any and I've actually seen the 29 Palms one! hehe. cause it's on my Robert Plant & the Strange Sensation live DVD. :D

I'm just checking an online CD store and Dreamland and Fate of Nations seem like good bargains at the mo. might just go for them.
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    Now and Zen and Fate of Nations are awesome albums. I like them all though. Manic Nirvana is pretty good too.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    Now and Zen
    I got Fate of the Nations and Dreamland yesterday. :) (well, they arrived on Friday but I was away for the weekend.)

have only listened to Dreamland so far and am loving it! :D
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    What I like about Plant is that he tries on genres like somebody tries on different clothes at a mall. And he does very well with it. Everybody hated the direction he was going back in the day when they thought he was going to snap back to it and start Zeppelin back up. I remember how people got mad at Shaken n Stirred. But if you listen to it now, it's really good stuff. By the way, to that other post, Little by Little is on Shaken n Stirred. I like 6's and 7's off that album.

I'd recommend Fate of Nations. I like all of it but I really get a thrill from "The Memory Song". By the way, the drummer on that song was Michael Lee who drummed on the Unledded and Clarksdale albums. He is amazing.

Highly recommend Now n Zen and Dreamland.

I know nobody likes compilations but I think Sixtysix to Timbuktu is really great. The 1st side is pretty much a greatest hits compilation. It captures really good stuff. Disk 2 is a treasure. Basically a "Lost Dogs" compilation. There is stuff that is pre Zeppelin, and post Zeppelin. There is stuff from movie soundtracks, b-sides, etc. The best song from Clarksdale (Rude World)never made it on the album but is included here. It is amazing. Also, "Life begins again" from the Afro Celt Soundsystem, to me, is astonishing.

I have the French import of Mighty Rearranger with the live disk 2. That disk 2 is incredible!

One final note... The last track on disk 2 of 66 to Timbuktu is a live song. To whoever mixes Pearl Jam's bootlegs, this is what live recordings are supposed to sound like.

I'll be there at the Greek Theatre June 24 to see him and Alison. Been hearing great things!
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • bladworth116bladworth116 Posts: 344
    I luv Fate of the Nations. Killer tracks like "Calling to You", "29 Palms", "I believe", etc.