Elvis Vs. Pearl Jam

somebodyelsessky2020somebodyelsessky2020 Posts: 1,173
edited April 2007 in Other Music
Elvis is the king of rock n roll after all and nobody seems to give the KING any respect around here. I don't think I've ever heard him mentioned in any thread ever on here. his songwriting skills were phenomenal and IMO equal to Ed's. blue suede shoes, jailhouse rock. love me tender ect.. ect.. I don't think anybody comes close to touching the King. I have a huge black velvet painting of the KING in my living room and a life size capodimonte statue of him in front of my trailer that holds my mailbox, i got it in mexico in the 70's. Who else agrees with me that Elvis is still the KING? Pearl Jam or Elvis
Oh dear dad
Can you see me now
I am myself
Like you somehow
I'll ride the wave
Where it takes me
I'll hold the pain
Release me
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Elvis wasn't a songwriter. He was a performer.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • gtbrown77gtbrown77 Posts: 141
    Elvis is the king of rock n roll after all and nobody seems to give the KING any respect around here. I don't think I've ever heard him mentioned in any thread ever on here. his songwriting skills were phenomenal and IMO equal to Ed's. blue suede shoes, jailhouse rock. love me tender ect.. ect.. I don't think anybody comes close to touching the King. I have a huge black velvet painting of the KING in my living room and a life size capodimonte statue of him in front of my trailer that holds my mailbox, i got it in mexico in the 70's. Who else agrees with me that Elvis is still the KING? Pearl Jam or Elvis

I love Elvis - I grew up listening to his music (my dad was/is a huge Presley fan).

BUT

Elvis didn't write a lot of the music that he was famous for. Blue Suede Shoes was written by Carl Perkins. Jailhouse Rock (and Hound Dog, and others I'm sure) was written by Lieber and Stoller. Love Me Tender wasn't written by Presley either. I'm pretty sure he did write a lot of his own early material (the stuff he recorded with Sun), but most of the songs he is known for were written by others.

It doesn't take away from his ability to perform though. He was great.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
    -John Lennon
  • oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    confession...

bitd.. my older brothers held some awesome parties. not because anyone got wasted and hospitalized. no, the parties were awesome because the boys and girls got along and listened to music and danced to music and did a little fing fuggin and such ass is it izzz.. :D

ne'er mind all that. these older brothers of mine also hyped me (i was just a boy who liked to look up girls skirts) to act like Elvis.. yep, i'd put on a sport coat and sling on a guitar and strum and snarl for the party and i was, for a moment, Elvis.

in his prime, Elvis was salt of the earth turned to rock. i only wish he had been able to handle the fame.
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • olderman wrote:
    confession...

bitd.. my older brothers held some awesome parties. not because anyone got wasted and hospitalized. no, the parties were awesome because the boys and girls got along and listened to music and danced to music and did a little fing fuggin and such ass is it izzz.. :D

ne'er mind all that. these older brothers of mine also hyped me (i was just a boy who liked to look up girls skirts) to act like Elvis.. yep, i'd put on a sport coat and sling on a guitar and strum and snarl for the party and i was, for a moment, Elvis.

in his prime, Elvis was salt of the earth turned to rock. i only wish he had been able to handle the fame.
    them there were the good ol' days..nothin wrong with a lil' fing fuggin every now and then heh. :)
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Elvis was the original American Idol. The guy had a great voice but didn't write his own material. He's the white poster boy who brought the music that Chuck Berry and Little Richard pioneered to a white audience.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Elvis was hugely over-rated..

he didnt write his own stuff... so he had a good voice and invented a dance move... he's more famous these days for eating his own body weight every morining and for dying whilst taking a shit...

Pearl Jam are a band who write their own songs, who dont rely on hip swivels and they have a competent manager.. plus they dont wear white jumpsuits with jewels on them... i rest my case
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    aBoxOfFear wrote:
    Elvis wasn't a songwriter. He was a performer.

Exactly, glorified Kareoke singer. ;)
  • rage333rage333 Posts: 157
    I really like Elvis. He is the only singer who doesnt write his own stuff that I like.
    But I LOVE PJ
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
  • SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
    Didn't Pearl Jam cover Elvis' LITTLE SISTER? Isn't that a song that he actually wrote?

It's hard to listen to Elvis today because of all of the Elvis imitators, but he did more than just popularize the work of earlier country and blues artists. He really developed a unique style even if it doesn't necessarily appeal to everyone.

Ed is the same way. Two notes sung, and you know it's Ed. But his voice is also the reason that some people don't like Pearl Jam.

Trying to compare Elvis and Pearl Jam is pretty much impossible since Elvis wasn't really part of a band, so he didn't create his music through the kind of collaboration that Pearl Jam has.
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    aBoxOfFear wrote:
    Elvis wasn't a songwriter. He was a performer.
    yeah, i was going to say, I think Elvis only wrotes lyrics for like, 2 songs and zero music, but I am assuming this dude is joking.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836

this is the stupidest thread i've ever seen. they make completely different kinds of music, you can't compare the two. i personally like pearl jam better....but then again i don't listen to elvis. not that i don't respect his music. but come on.......they have nothing to do with each other. at least with the zeppelin thread there were some similiarities between the two.
    this is the stupidest thread i've ever seen. they make completely different kinds of music, you can't compare the two. i personally like pearl jam better....but then again i don't listen to elvis. not that i don't respect his music. but come on.......they have nothing to do with each other. at least with the zeppelin thread there were some similiarities between the two.

I'm offended. I loved the Zeppelin thread. It gave me chance to relive my youth with all you kids, and I'm now checking out Hawkwind.
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    dunkman wrote:
    Elvis was hugely over-rated..

he didnt write his own stuff... so he had a good voice and invented a dance move... he's more famous these days for eating his own body weight every morining and for dying whilst taking a shit...

Pearl Jam are a band who write their own songs, who dont rely on hip swivels and they have a competent manager.. plus they dont wear white jumpsuits with jewels on them... i rest my case

listen to Elvis's gospel stuff and you will change your tone about Elvis..overrated??? same thing could be said about Pearl Jam and has been said over and over again...you never heard someone say "i cant understand what Elvis is saying" like they do with Vedder...as a matter of fact all i hear is that Vedder sounds like he sings "with marbles in his mouth"

Elvis blows Pearl Jam out of the water...look at album sales, fans, respect, and HE SERVED HIS COUNTRY and gave up making money and the fame to do so!!!
  • You know, outside of America, Elvis is hugely under-rated, and caricatured as a bad joke: the very embodiment of Nixon-sucking, paranoid, burger munchin' Bible Belt stupidity. Like Bush, he's come to represent much that people despise about postwar America. This is a shame, because his influence as a high profile performer on the early development of rock and roll is inestimable. One can only begin to imagine the cultural importance of Elvis's first appearance on the Ed Sullivan show in 1956. Elvis mightn't have been an innovator in the way Hank Williams was, but he was everywhere. As John Lennon said, "Before Elvis, there was nothing."

I would personally rather listen to Pearl Jam, but I am aware that they're a fairly conventional rock band whose debt to Elvis can't be understated.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    pjalive21 wrote:
    listen to Elvis's gospel stuff and you will change your tone about Elvis..overrated??? same thing could be said about Pearl Jam and has been said over and over again...you never heard someone say "i cant understand what Elvis is saying" like they do with Vedder...as a matter of fact all i hear is that Vedder sounds like he sings "with marbles in his mouth"

Elvis blows Pearl Jam out of the water...look at
    1. album sales,
    2. fans,
    3.respect,
    4. HE SERVED HIS COUNTRY and gave up making money and the fame to do so!!!

gospel music!!!!! fuck that!! i've got too many albums with power chords on them to bother with that shite

as for the rest

1. Hootie & The Blowfish and Nickleback have sold millions of records, doesnt mean they are any good
    2. see above
    3. dont see above... but i have no respect for Elvis as a musician but i've already said he was a good singer...
    4. I'm pacifist baby.. plus he served hotdogs in the army canteen.. remember Hitler once served his country ;)

look i'm just goofing around, but needless to say the guy was a great singer.. but other than that... blah
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:
    gospel music!!!!! fuck that!! i've got too many albums with power chords on them to bother with that shite

as for the rest

1. Hootie & The Blowfish and Nickleback have sold millions of records, doesnt mean they are any good
    2. see above
    3. dont see above... but i have no respect for Elvis as a musician but i've already said he was a good singer...
    4. I'm pacifist baby.. plus he served hotdogs in the army canteen.. remember Hitler once served his country ;)

look i'm just goofing around, but needless to say the guy was a great singer.. but other than that... blah

But Elvis never wore multiple pairs of shorts or climbed on scaffolding. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549

You guys can keep the compare/contrast debate.

What I really want to talk about is the velvet painting and the statue that holds the mailbox up. Got photos? ;)

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
    You know, outside of America, Elvis is hugely under-rated, and caricatured as a bad joke: the very embodiment of Nixon-sucking, paranoid, burger munchin' Bible Belt stupidity. Like Bush, he's come to represent much that people despise about postwar America. This is a shame, because his influence as a high profile performer on the early development of rock and roll is inestimable. One can only begin to imagine the cultural importance of Elvis's first appearance on the Ed Sullivan show in 1956. Elvis mightn't have been an innovator in the way Hank Williams was, but he was everywhere. As John Lennon said, "Before Elvis, there was nothing."

I would personally rather listen to Pearl Jam, but I am aware that they're a fairly conventional rock band whose debt to Elvis can't be understated.

very well said!!!!

i personally prefer PJ myself, but i cant help but to stick up for Elvis in these debates
    dunkman wrote:

hey its not my preference either but man can he belt out some music
    dunkman wrote:
    as for the rest

if you dont sell albums you dont make it in the business and they must be good to someone if so many people like them (not me personally)

dunkman wrote:

to each their own right :)
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    As John Lennon said, "Before Elvis, there was nothing."

i'm glad someone brought this up. john lennon has said several times elvis is the reason he was a musician. i don't think you can measure the impact of his influence.

comparing elvis and pearl jam is apples and oranges. i love both but in completely different ways.

on a side note...my parents felt about elvis like i do about pearl jam. news of elvis' death actually sent my mom into labor with me (or so she claims). :) so be prepared for a lot of elvis hooplah come august because it'll be the 30th anniversary of his death.
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    Matty Boy wrote:
    Elvis was the original American Idol.
    this might possibly be the most ridiculous comparison of talent that i've ever heard
  • nfanel wrote:
    this might possibly be the most ridiculous comparison of talent that i've ever heard

How about Elvis vs James Dean?? I think that would be more fitting. Oh, and James Dean's got him beat. And he only starred in 3 movies....
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • not a good comparison its kinda like 2 different types of music cause elvis's music is so old...

but i think pearl jam
  • Hahaha this thread is ridiculous. You can't compare Elvis to Pearl Jam, two completely different motives/goals at work there. If its who is better at getting women from the 1950s all hot and bothered and performing onstage, Elvis wins. If its who is better at writing songs with conviction and emotion, Pearl Jam wins. Then you get into which is more important and its all opinion, so fuck it.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    nfanel wrote:
    I just meant that he was a singer who was told what to do and didn't write his own material. Elvis was just Colonel Parker and Sam Phillips money making pinup Idol. If Chuck Berry and Little Richard were white Elvis would not have been such a big deal.
  • rhinomagic wrote:
    You guys can keep the compare/contrast debate.

What I really want to talk about is the velvet painting and the statue that holds the mailbox up. Got photos? ;)

sorry no photos i think i have the only remaining statue or velvet painting of this style and don't want them replicated and show up on ebay. the staue might have been the only one ever made it is pretty large and heavy it's 6 foot tall jewel encrusted famous white jumpsuit thousands of austrian crystals on it and from 10 feet away you'd think it was a real person. i added the mailbox in 1975 it didn't come with it in mexico where i bought it but nothing was done to the statue to attach it and can be easily removed without damaging it.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • larslars Posts: 524
    elvis vs. pearl jam....what is this....get a grip. what about beethoven vs. bob marley vs. pearl jam.....Stop the nonscence
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • lars wrote:
    elvis vs. pearl jam....what is this....get a grip. what about beethoven vs. bob marley vs. pearl jam.....Stop the nonscence
    elvis is the KING of rock n roll pearl jam is rock n roll beethoven is classical and marley reggae
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Has Elvis ever written a song.

I got his "Elvis in Memphis " album recently
  • SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    Matty Boy wrote:
    Elvis was the original American Idol. The guy had a great voice but didn't write his own material. He's the white poster boy who brought the music that Chuck Berry and Little Richard pioneered to a white audience.

Nope. That's inaccuate, and popular thing to say by people who don't know what they are talking about. There was nothing that sounded like what Elvis did at Sun Studios before that point. Did it borrow from R&B? Yes. Did it borrow from country? Just as much. But it was a whole different beast than those two forms! On balance, by your logic, you would have to state that he brought the music that hillbillies like Bill Monroe pioneered to a mainstream audience.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho