edited November 2006 in Other Music
do you think elton john is overrated??
Another habit says it's in love with you
Another habit says its long overdue
Another habit like an unwanted friend
I'm so happy with my righteous self
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• His first few albums up to "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" are excellent. After that, forget it.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    no. Though his last piece of greatness IMO was Empty Garden.
  • JWBusher wrote:
    His first few albums up to "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" are excellent. After that, forget it.

I agree. The last "new" Elton John album I bought was Blue Moves in 1976. I'm not kidding. I'd really loved the previous records, but I kind of hated that it was so overwhelmingly depressing, and that was it for me.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    aBoxOfFear wrote:
    Absolutely not. He's a music icon.
  • He's not my taste, but for those who like that sort of thing, no he's not overrated. The Rolling Stones, however...
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • I've never been a huge fan, but I love most of his classic hits (Tiny Dancer, Rocket Man, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, etc.). I don't own any of his albums, but I don't like anything I've heard from him post 70's.

Slightly off topic - Anyone ever heard John Frusciante cover Tiny Dancer live at RHCP shows? He used to do it pretty regularly. It's pretty cool.
  • I'm not a huge fan either but he's definitely good.

The scene in Almost Famous when they're listening to/singing Tiny Dancer on the bus is one of my all time favorite movie moments
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    aBoxOfFear wrote:

He's annoying.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Sonja_SSonja_S Posts: 444
    I like the stuff from the 70s, but I can't stand most of the stuff he did after. If I never have to hear 'Can you feel the love tonight' again, I'll be a very happy person.
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    hendrix78 wrote:
    I've never been a huge fan, but I love most of his classic hits (Tiny Dancer, Rocket Man, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, etc.). I don't own any of his albums, but I don't like anything I've heard from him post 70's.

Slightly off topic - Anyone ever heard John Frusciante cover Tiny Dancer live at RHCP shows? He used to do it pretty regularly. It's pretty cool.
    I love frusciante's cover!!! :D when he does playful covers like that it makes me happy inside :)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • a few years ago i saw him perform a solo piano show that lasted over 2hours...and yes, it was all by himself!

i don't think he's over rated in the least but i also wouldn't pay what he's asking for on his latest tour
  • i'm also not a huge fan, but he's not overrated. some of the stuff he released in the early 70's is pure gold.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    hendrix78 wrote:

Yes I have - I love his covers - his choices are so unpredictable.

And on topic, no I don't think Elton John is overrated. He has had a long career of songwriting, and seems very talented. I had all his early albums and especially liked Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. I've moved on, quite a lot from that style of music, but I wouldn't call someone overrated just because I've moved on or don't listen to them anymore. My kids used to play that Lion King soundtrack EVERY day, but it bought me some extra morning sleep when they were dancing in the living room to it, so I guess I owe Elton some thanks.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I love frusciante's cover!!! :D when he does playful covers like that it makes me happy inside :)

The best is 'How Deep Is Your Love'!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Slightly.
    Go see The Avett Brothers!!
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I'm going to say no. He has made so much good music that I'd say he's hardly overrated.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    elton john rocks.

always has.
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,481
    I'm not a huge fan either but he's definitely good.

The scene in Almost Famous when they're listening to/singing Tiny Dancer on the bus is one of my all time favorite movie moments

i love that scene! i have to go watch it now! anyone who says they haven't had a group singalong to Tiny Dancer (drunk or otherwise) is lying!

i don't think he's overrated, just past his best
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    goldrush wrote:
    i love that scene! i have to go watch it now! anyone who says they haven't had a group singalong to Tiny Dancer (drunk or otherwise) is lying!

i don't think he's overrated, just past his best

You need to add Soundgarden to that sig.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,481
    You need to add Soundgarden to that sig.:)

bugger! there i was, trying to be clever/funny in another thread and i missed out one of my favourite bands. i hang my head in shame!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • You only need to see his influence on songwriting, from PJ's Black, to a lot of contemporary pop, to realise he deserves to be rated highly as a pioneer of a particular kind of songwriting approach. His work with Taupin is pretty exemplary.

A lot of his stuff since the early eighties is too middle of the road for me, personally, but hey, Elton can do what he wants now. Plus, it's very difficult to write a good pop song, and Elton does it, so fair play to him.
  • Plus, don't forget this masterpiece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxMTRmnc54Y

:D
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    no way is elton john overrated. guess you had to be around in the 70's to really appreciate his work? I don't know, that title of this thread kinda shocked me, even more than a previous thread asking the same question about stairway to heaven!
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    He's not over-rated because that guy can play a piano with anyone, but his music these days just plain sucks. I hate his voice now also. That being said, his seventies stuff and to a certain extent his 80's stuff ( empty garden ) is fantastic and his voice is not so "heavy" -

No more Disney songs , please
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • DCGARDEN wrote:
    I hate his voice now also.

Yep, some time around 1982, his balls dropped, or something. He had a nice voice, before then.
  • Sonja_SSonja_S Posts: 444
    Yep, some time around 1982, his balls dropped, or something. He had a nice voice, before then.

He had surgery on his vocal chords in the 80s that changed his voice.
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • i don't think elton is overrated at all. and i just may be the only person in this thread who really likes his newest record. i sorta see him as having a comeback right now. the last few releases have been good.
  • Sonja_S wrote:
    He had surgery on his vocal cords in the 80s that changed his voice.

That's right, I remember now.
  • yep. he is.
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.