Options

appetite for destruction

2»

Comments

• Options
    DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    aBoxOfFear wrote:
    ya, it's interesting because a lot of the things they were saying about nirvana were the same as what was said about gn'r just 3 or 4 years before. they were both credited with re-vitalizing the music scene, writing REAL songs, and making a great album that you could actually listen to all the way through without skipping any songs.

i know i'm going to get flamed for this.

Absolutely - I always scratch my head when people try to tell me that Nirvana ended Guns N Roses. Guns N Roses ended Guns N Roses. If they stuck together, they would've been selling out stadiums and millions of more albums, regardless of Nirvana or the grunge sound that was happening.
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • Options
    stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    DCGARDEN wrote:
    Absolutely - I always scratch my head when people try to tell me that Nirvana ended Guns N Roses. Guns N Roses ended Guns N Roses. If they stuck together, they would've been selling out stadiums and millions of more albums, regardless of Nirvana or the grunge sound that was happening.

Actually Axl ended Guns and Roses. If he wasn't so difficult then maybe the other's wouldn't have left.
    Yeah I understand he had a tough childhood and he likes to be in control but even so there was no excuse for acting like he did.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    GhostBoyGhostBoy Posts: 113
    Appetite for Destruction is one hell of an album...I hadn't listened to it in its entirety in a while, but actually ended up going to see them in NYC 2 weekends ago. The show was awesome. Don't get me wrong, Pearl Jam puts on an amazing show, but the G n' R concert was a fucking rock concert. So loud and heavy. The week or so following the show, I was listening to them a lot and I forgot how amazing Appetite was...is. Honestly, Welcome to the Jungle may be one of the best opening statements ever. The perfect song to open up a debut album.

I know people have varying opinions of Axl these days, but some of the stuff that will appear on Chinese Democracy (assuming it ever sees the light of day) is pretty good...especially Better. Sounds nothing like G n' R, but it fucking rocks.
    All Those Yesterdays: This Day In Pearl Jam History - Sharing show anniversaries, releases, appearances, and more.

• Options
    DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    Actually Axl ended Guns and Roses. If he wasn't so difficult then maybe the other's wouldn't have left.
    Yeah I understand he had a tough childhood and he likes to be in control but even so there was no excuse for acting like he did.

Yes, that is definitely true. The guy is a first class prick. But I would level those breakup percentages at about 85% Axl 15% Slash

Axl was a control freak, but Slash was all about putting his head down and just jamming on the Guitar, not the biggest fan of change.
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • Options
    iluvslashiluvslash Posts: 121
    One of the greatest albums of all time. My fave songs on it would have to be mr. brownstone, my michelle and welcome to the jungle.
    With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nothing done!
  • Options
    DCGARDEN wrote:
    Yes, that is definitely true. The guy is a first class prick. But I would level those breakup percentages at about 85% Axl 15% Slash

Axl was a control freak, but Slash was all about putting his head down and just jamming on the Guitar, not the biggest fan of change.

Agreed :D However Slash is one hell of a guitar player so I'll let him off ;)

Axl was, maybe still is, a great performer, entertainer whatever, but he couldn't hold it all together. Maybe he went into the wrong kind of job, who knows

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    Best debut ever released..PERIOD!

close to agreeing axl...;)

"ten" and "kill 'em all" are right up there for me too. i have a special place for appetite, though, because i was the first one in my school who had it or had even heard of them. (small school)...i played it over and over and over...definitely one of the best albums of all time, and as you mentioned the best debut...(with my almost ties - ten and kill 'em all)

i saw them open for iron maiden just when "sweet child o' mine" had been released in canada and no one really knew who they were. welcome to the jungle had been released in the states, but sweet child was the first release in canada. the maiden fans weren't much into it, but i'll never forget seeing them at that time. for me, they rocked because every single song on that album is a classic!

edit:...going to listen to it now, haven't heard think about you or rocket queen in a while...two of my personal faves...
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    edit:...going to listen to it now, haven't heard think about you or rocket queen in a while...two of my personal faves...
    awesome..another "Think About You" fan!
    I never met anyone who liked that song til I found the Pit and found a handful
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    Another Rocket Queen and Think About You fan here :cool: :D

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    I'd have to say itmust be one of the best Debut's of all time and justas important an artistic statement as Nevermind

The Use your Illusion albums were patchy, think what a combination of those 2 albums best tracks would would have been like, if they'd have reigned in Axl and the production had been more like AFD then we might have had a classic on our hands instead we have 2 good but not consistent ones.
  • Options
    amentvedderamentvedder Posts: 3,610
    Me too!! ...did i tell you's am going to see them in July!!
    :D lol
    f**kin love Axl Rose! he was and is GN'R
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    Me too!!
    yeh you were the first "Think About You" fan that i ever met haha
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    amentvedderamentvedder Posts: 3,610
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    yeh you were the first "Think About You" fan that i ever met haha

hehe Axy look at your name..i was bound ta home in on you lol :)
    Amazing song!
  • Options
    Me too!! ...did i tell you's am going to see them in July!!
    :D lol
    f**kin love Axl Rose! he was and is GN'R

I don't believe I've heard you mention that... ;):D:D

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    Stonesgstring: good taste in tunes! Rocket queen is effing amazing, specially the live version.

Anyway I've always been a fan of GNR in the true sense, not a fan of Axl. Has anyone seen what he looks like these days? Bit of a state. His voice is fucked aswell.
  • Options
    Oh why thank you :D

Yes I was never that keen on Axl to be honest. For me it was Slash's guitar playing that got me interested, then I grew to love the whole band.
    Yes well, the less said about Axl these days , the better I think

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    iluvslashiluvslash Posts: 121
    Fucken awsome album, first rock band i ever got into and this album shows why! 12 tracks of complete perfection!
    With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nothing done!
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    the illusions albums were brave and very cool due to the broad range of styles but they lacked the consistency of AFD. Appetite is an absolute classic album. I've majorly gone off Gn'R as a band even though they used to be my favourite but I still love this album.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    personally though..I prefer the Illusions more than AFD.
    "Think About You" is probably me fave GN'R track ever .

lol. Think About You was the first song that started playing in me head after reading the thread title. :D

oh and also, great great album!
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Options
    holtzholtz Posts: 509
    His voice is fucked aswell.

Actually he sounds better than ever, don't judge based on Rock In Rio, that had to be the worst mixing job ever done.