Options

appetite for destruction

The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
edited June 2006 in Other Music
anyone fans of this album?? my brother bought it for me for xmas '88. i was obsessed with it. gn'r was my first favorite band. i loved pissing my parents off listening to this full blast! :D
Another habit says it's in love with you
Another habit says its long overdue
Another habit like an unwanted friend
I'm so happy with my righteous self
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    TAPEWORMTAPEWORM Posts: 2
    This record changed my life. I remember getting it as a young teen and me, my sister and my cousin used to always sneak downstairs and listen to it because my parents didn't want us to be listening to it. It was so unlike all the pop crap my friends were listening to at the time. The music just sounded "dangerous" and it was like.. you knew you shouldn't be listening to it but you couldn't stop.
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    Best debut ever released..PERIOD!
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    I didn't like it after listening to it recently. The guitars were pretty sweet but that was about it. Best debut period for me would be a toss up between Ten and Led Zeppelin.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    personally though..I prefer the Illusions more than AFD.
    "Think About You" is probably me fave GN'R track ever .
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    aBoxOfFear wrote:
    anyone fans of this album?? my brother bought it for me for xmas '88. i was obsessed with it. gn'r was my first favorite band. i loved pissing my parents off listening to this full blast! :D

funny. cause i think i piss off my kids when i play AFD full blast. though not the nearly 7 year old cause she has been known to break out into paradise city. there really is no other way to listen to it.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Love this one. But it stops here for me. I liked a handful of tunes from each of the Illusion albums, but they were simply too long to listen to that voice for too long.

Besides, Axl's penchant for pulling the Sly Stone, no-show act turned me off to 'em. I was lucky enough to see a whole show when they opened for Aerosmith for the AFD tour. Very cool.
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Great album, but I think the UYI albums are better. And Chinese Democracy will become the best album of GNR.
  • Options
    melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    Great album by one of the best rock bands ever.
  • Options
    DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    The perfect fucking album at the perfect fucking time

Loud, arrogant, raunch, beautiful - changed rock for ever - Even if you're not a fan of GNR, you cannot argue with the ridiculous effect this album had on Rock music
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,401
    Klumpie wrote:
    And Chinese Democracy will become the best album of GNR.
    Upon its release, February 30, 2064.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Poncier wrote:
    Upon its release, February 30, 2064.

You didn't hear the album comes out 12 September 2006.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,401
    Klumpie wrote:
    I've heard about 2,200 release dates for that album, and Axl hs always managed to push each one off.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    Klumpie wrote:

LMAO If you believe that.............

I have to say that AFD is such a great album. Loved the Illusions discs too.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    My favourite song off it is I think about you, by a country mile.
    A restaurant with a smoking section is like a swimming pool with a pissing section
  • Options
    JPS79JPS79 Posts: 148
    I have been rockin this album latley, especially some rocket queen. Too bad if they go on tour I would think Axl is still banned from St. Louis so I would have to go a little further to see them, would be worth it if the original lineup was back together.
    Seems the more you make
    equals the loneliness you get
  • Options
    JPS79 wrote:
    I have been rockin this album latley, especially some rocket queen. Too bad if they go on tour I would think Axl is still banned from St. Louis so I would have to go a little further to see them, would be worth it if the original lineup was back together.

I'm still not sure what Rocket Queen is about
    A restaurant with a smoking section is like a swimming pool with a pissing section
  • Options
    azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 703
    it was as grounbreaking as nevermind, a classic...
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • Options
    Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    Yep. Love this album :)

My favs at the moment are Nightrain, Mr. Brownstone, and It's So Easy.
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    I was the 1st cd I bought when I was 9. Saw GNR last week and even though its only Axl brought me rite back to then. Paradise City and Mr Brownstone are highlights for me off the record.
    1998- MSG 1
    2003- MSG 1 & 2
    2006- Irving Plaza, Albany, NJ 1 & 2
    2008- MSG 1 & 2
    2008- EV NYC 2
    2010- Hartford
    2016- MSG 2
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    HA! Is anyone a fan??? :eek: Is anyone NOT a fan should be the question. :D;) APPETITE kicks everyones ASS! I bow down before this album. It's just one of those undeniably classic ones. Groundbreaking as someone else mentioned! Definitely. Without a doubt one of my fav albums of all time. Looooove it.

And oh sweet lord...don't even get me started on ROCKET QUEEN!!!!!!!!
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    Boston put out a pretty groundbreaking debut back in their day.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Best album ever made!!
    Whats got the whole world faking?
  • Options
    Pat HPat H Posts: 101
    definitely one of the best hard rock albums of all time.
  • Options
    ...and the Chinese will have democracy by the time the new one comes out.
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    DCGARDEN wrote:
    The perfect fucking album at the perfect fucking time

ya, it's interesting because a lot of the things they were saying about nirvana were the same as what was said about gn'r just 3 or 4 years before. they were both credited with re-vitalizing the music scene, writing REAL songs, and making a great album that you could actually listen to all the way through without skipping any songs.

i know i'm going to get flamed for this.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,789
    AxlUlrich wrote:

one of the best.

Led Zeppelin I
    Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    PJ - Ten

these are my favorite debuts. appetite is fucking great though
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    aBoxOfFear wrote:
    ya, it's interesting because a lot of the things they were saying about nirvana were the same as what was said about gn'r just 3 or 4 years before. they were both credited with re-vitalizing the music scene, writing REAL songs, and making a great album that you could actually listen to all the way through without skipping any songs.

i know i'm going to get flamed for this.

You're right in what you said. The difference between Appetite and Nevermind is that when Nevermind came out an entire genre of music was practically wiped out. By contrast, Appetite stood apart and above that genre of music.

I would agree it is one of the great debuts of all time. Another impressive fact about Appetite is that it was released for a year...I think...before hitting number one on the charts. That's unheard of in todays world of hitting hard and fast then fading away.
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    JPS79 wrote:

That was awhile ago. I would think if the Fox lifted their ban of PJ, UMB would lift their band of GNR. BTW, I live in Flora Illinois. Didnt know there was anybody that close to me on here.
  • Options
    MJSB74MJSB74 Posts: 75
    Best album ever made!!

You sir, are correct. Absolute pure fucking genius of a record.
  • Options
    stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    ...and the Chinese will have democracy by the time the new one comes out.

:D:D That's pretty funny :cool:
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles