Interesting read!

2»

Comments

• walkthamilewalkthamile Posts: 349
    elmer wrote:
    Neither was the case in all probablility! This 'sound-a-like' debate surely ended upon both bands releasing their second albums.

No... Purple, although a much better album than Core, was as much Seattle Sound as its predecessor. They changed with Tiny Music, and then went downhill after that one IMO.
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • Sorry I don't get how they are underrated because of this.

i explained it in the following sentence

when people say "the biggest bands of the 90s", it's automatically PJ, Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains with EVERYONE ELSE being an afterthought. and STP was a victim of that, regardless of how many hit songs they have actually had
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • No... Purple, although a much better album than Core, was as much Seattle Sound as its predecessor. They changed with Tiny Music, and then went downhill after that one IMO.

what exactly is "the seattle sound"?

i have never heard 2 popular bands from that city who sound even remotely similar.
    what exactly is "the seattle sound"?

i have never heard 2 popular bands from that city who sound even remotely similar.

Well, let me see...on that album he still sounded like Vedder, on some songs he even started to sound like Cobain and Staley! Those guys were all in bands that came from Seattle! Their music was loud and they had quite alot of heavy distorted guitars, and they had some angst filled lyrics :D
  • Well, let me see...on that album he still sounded like Vedder, on some songs he even started to sound like Cobain and Staley! Those guys were all in bands that came from Seattle! Their music was loud and they had quite alot of heavy distorted guitars, and they had some angst filled lyrics :D

hmmm

loud, distorted guitars, and angsty

i guess Pearl Jam ripped off Nine Inch Nails then

Pretty Hate Machine: 1989
    Ten: 1991

This game is fun. Let's keep connecting bands through generalized means when no other connection exists
    hmmm

loud, distorted guitars, and angsty

i guess Pearl Jam ripped off Nine Inch Nails then

Pretty Hate Machine: 1989
    Ten: 1991

This game is fun. Let's keep connecting bands through generalized means when no other connection exists

Only Ed did not rip off Trent Reznor! And Weiland clearly ripped off Ed... Yeh, this is enjoyable lets keep playing :rolleyes:
  • Only Ed did not rip off Trent Reznor! And Weiland clearly ripped off Ed... Yeh, this is enjoyable lets keep playing :rolleyes:

They were BOTH influenced by Jim Morrison

Is it really hard to contemplate that 2 singers influenced by the same guy may have a similar vocal style?

Weiland still uses the baritone on heavier songs. Ed uses it....ummm...whenever he's not being whiney and nasal.
    They were BOTH influenced by Jim Morrison

Is it really hard to contemplate that 2 singers influenced by the same guy may have a similar vocal style?

Well, when "adopting" a vocal style that has already been popularised, that may help a band fit into a category and earn a record company and a band some $$$$, certainly makes Weiland and the boys look a little suspicious.

Pearl Jam released their debut record with little fanfare at the time, nobody out there really sounded like him (Eddie), yet STP released a record over a year after Ten into a musical environment that had already experienced that trademark "baritone"...

Plus how do you explain the facial expressions :D

Join the dots and do the math...
    Ed uses it....ummm...whenever he's not being whiney and nasal.

What?
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    ENOUGH ENOUGH PEOPLE, YES I'M SHOUTING!!!!!

STP recorded a demo under the name Mighty Joe Young around 1990, BEFORE Pearl Jam were known, and they essentially still sound like STP, and more to the point, Weiland still has that deeper voice that everybody is so quick to compare to Vedder's. In addition 4 of the songs from the demo ended up on Core

Here is the PROOF

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KRR_VmnpR-M

The chances are that STP were probably signed because of Pearl Jam's success and stylistically of course there are similarities, but there is no doubt that STP had their own sound before Pearl Jam came on the scene. Therefore all you doubters are all talking cobblers! :p

I personally love STP, not as much as Pearl Jam, but they have written some of the most memorable songs of the past 15 years.
  • The_Fixer The_Fixer Posts: 255
    elmer wrote:
    Neither was the case in all probablility! This 'sound-a-like' debate surely ended upon both bands releasing their second albums.

VS. and Purple were both produced by Brendan O'Brien.

He produced all of STP's albums so it makes sense that their music has some similarities to PJ's.

Everything after Yield is not even close.

Shangrilahdida sucked major a** by the way.
    Montreal 08/20/98 | New York 09/11/98 | Wantagh 08/24/00 | Montreal 10/04/00 | Montreal 06/29/03 | Montreal 09/15/05
    Toronto 05/10/06 | Vancouver 04/02//08 (Ed) | Manchester 06/14/08 | Montreal 08/09/08 (Ed) | Montreal 08/10/08 (Ed) 
    Albany 06/08/09 (Ed) | Philadelphia 10/31/09 | Montreal 09/07/11 | Ottawa 05/08/16 | Brooklyn 04/07/17 (RRHOF)
    Dana Point 09/09/17 (Ed) | Rome 06/26/18
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    listen to some Bad Radio songs such as Believe In Me and there's a sure Bono inflection in Ed's voice.

What about Gavin Rossdale? A definite case 'seattle sound' imitation.
    ENOUGH ENOUGH PEOPLE, YES I'M SHOUTING!!!!!

STP recorded a demo under the name Mighty Joe Young around 1990, BEFORE Pearl Jam were known, and they essentially still sound like STP, and more to the point, Weiland still has that deeper voice that everybody is so quick to compare to Vedder's. In addition 4 of the songs from the demo ended up on Core

Here is the PROOF

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KRR_VmnpR-M

The chances are that STP were probably signed because of Pearl Jam's success and stylistically of course there are similarities, but there is no doubt that STP had their own sound before Pearl Jam came on the scene. Therefore all you doubters are all talking cobblers! :p

I personally love STP, not as much as Pearl Jam, but they have written some of the most memorable songs of the past 15 years.

Still does'nt explain the facial expressions! :D
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Still does'nt explain the facial expressions! :D

Well most of the 'serious' rock singers from the late 80's/early 90's pulled those facial expressions, plus given Weiland's flamboyant dancing which he was doing from the get-go, I think it's safe to say that he had his own identity.