Singer Songwriters

JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
edited November 2007 in Other Music
Who are some of your favorites? Ryan Adams and Mason Jennings are probably my two favorites.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rvprvp Posts: 779
    Joaquín Sabina and Silvio Rodriguez
    Caetano Veloso too
    fuera de este mundo
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    These two guys named Bob Dylan & Neil Young are pretty good.

I too like Ryan Adams.

Also Jose Gonzalez
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeep wrote:
    These two guys named Bob Dylan & Neil Young are pretty good.
    I don't think anyone really needs to mention them..they are automatics
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    I don't think anyone really needs to mention them..they are automatics
    as is the boss
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,851
    Jeff Tweedy
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Todd Snider
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032

Have you seen that the old grey whistle test is on I think sky digital 270 around 9 each night. I have missed it most nights with work but work checking out.

Kevin coyne was he in the Young ones?
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I second the Jeff Tweedy mention and I'll add his former colleague, Jay Farrar.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    Ryan Adams
    Ray LaMontagne
    Jack Johnson
    Damien Rice
    Roddy Woomble
    Elliot Smith
    Tom Waits
    John Mayer
    Matt Nathanson

That pretty much covers it for me
  • I've only virgin media here, fada, not Sky, so the station numbers are different. However, I've seen a lot of the OGWT, and can remember quite a bit of it, first time around as a kid and teenager.

As for Kevin Coyne, no, he wasn't in the Young Ones. He was asked to join The Doors when Jim Morrison died, but he declined. Actually, he said, fuck off. :D

Here's more of the great Kev in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ksxhrKhULM
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    SARAH HARMER
    Hayden
    Ron Sexsmith
    Sarah Slean
    Neil Young
    Rick White
    Julie Doiron

.....Oh Canada!!!!!!!

Elliott Smith
    Ryan Adams
    Damien Rice
    Tom Waits
    Jeff Tweedy
    Badly Drawn Boy (Damon Gough)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Eddie Vedder
    Joey Ramone
    P!nk
    Dave Pirner
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    two people so far have spelled Elliott Smith's name wrong ;) but yeah, him.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Beck
    Evan Dando
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Amos Lee is another great one IMO.
  • Paul Westerberg
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I've only virgin media here, fada, not Sky, so the station numbers are different. However, I've seen a lot of the OGWT, and can remember quite a bit of it, first time around as a kid and teenager.

As for Kevin Coyne, no, he wasn't in the Young Ones. He was asked to join The Doors when Jim Morrison died, but he declined. Actually, he said, fuck off. :D

Here's more of the great Kev in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ksxhrKhULM
    Mainstreet is the name of the channel
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Beck
    Evan Dando

OOOO, I need to get me some Beck. I love Guero, what's some others I should pick up?

He is much more than a singer/songwriter though. I think of him more like a Trent Reznor or Billy Corgan. Kinduva mastermind.

Dunno if he's got a mention, but Cat Stevens has some pretty sweet tunes.
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    OOOO, I need to get me some Beck. I love Guero, what's some others I should pick up?

He is much more than a singer/songwriter though. I think of him more like a Trent Reznor or Billy Corgan. Kinduva mastermind.

Dunno if he's got a mention, but Cat Stevens has some pretty sweet tunes.

Beck is the man. He does a lot of acoustic singer/songwriter stuff which is why i mention him. As well, he is usually responsible for most of the odd instrumentation on his more experimental albums.

Check out Sea Change(s) or Mutations if you want that down home Beck/acoustic sound.

Dudes amazing!!
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Beck is the man. He does a lot of acoustic singer/songwriter stuff which is why i mention him. As well, he is usually responsible for most of the odd instrumentation on his more experimental albums.

Check out Sea Change(s) or Mutations if you want that down home Beck/acoustic sound.

Dudes amazing!!

I always had a soft spot for his album Stereopathic Soulmanure.
  • Jim James (my morning jacket)
    Jeff Tweedy (wilco)
    Neil (young)
    Bob (dylan)
    Bruce (springsteen)
    Jason Molina (magnolia electric co., songs: ohia)
    Mark Lanegan (all around bad-ass)
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
    I always had a soft spot for his album Stereopathic Soulmanure.

mmm, i like that one as well. It's a little too "thrown together" for me though.
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    Jape (guy from the band "The Redneck Manifesto")

Vyvienne Long (Cello player from Damien Rice's band)

Devandra Banhart

Beck
  • mmm, i like that one as well. It's a little too "thrown together" for me though.

I like the randomness and home-tapey feel of it, though. I remember it came out, just around the time that the dying grunge scene was getting too streamlined and overproduced. It was refreshing to hear Beck fucking around, seemingly at home on his four-track on some tracks, and making great music, and showing that there was going to be much more to him than Mellow Gold.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    dylan
    young
    waits
    cave
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Listening to In Utero alot lately has me in no doubt Kurt is my favourite still.

Eddie Vedder
    Bob Dylan
    Brandon Boyd (apart from the 2 newest albums)
    Raine Maida
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Tom Petty?
    Ben Harper?

The Boss, Dylan & Neil are the Dons. But of the new breed Ryan Adams & Elliott Smith are brilliant.
    Beck is just incredible. A real chameleon.

On a lighter note, quite like Donovan Frankenreiter. Good summer music. Jesse Malin is also worth a listen.
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    Ray Lamontagne bump!
  • KEN ANDREWS.

[/thread]
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB