Pantera

JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
edited July 2006 in Other Music
I haven't seen a thread about Pantera in a while. They certainly deserve some praise. I recently seen an interview with Philip Anselmo, and he after a year he is still a disaster from Dime'e death. Who else is a huge fan of IMO the most influential band for modern metal.

R.I.P Dime
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    oh ye, brilliant band , all their albums are consistant,

esepcially cowboys from hell!
  • I saw them in 95!! Holy shit!!!
    amazing!
    Pierre

I live in Laval, I'm looking for some musicians to make a band. Drum, bass and guitar are needed. More songs with voices can be sent on demand.
    www.myspace.com/fridayzodds
    www.myspace.com/vignesartichots
  • Yep I love Pantera.

RIP Dime, you are sadly missed.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    I saw them in 95!! Holy shit!!!
    amazing!

lucky bastard
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    they deserve praise and I have the utmost respect for that band. the only band I can think of that had success with a debut and instead of getting softer, they got harder (almost to a fault IMO). Though they lost me for the most part after Vulgar Display of Power, I did respect them more and more, they deserve to be mentioned with the most influential of metal bands.

I did see them in '96 or so and their live show was something to be seen.
  • I won two tickets to see them in Saginaw, Michigan back in early '95 from a radio station.

I didn't know much about them.

One of the only shows I've been to with a real mosh-pit. People were going crazy.

Glad I got a chance to see them.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • I've seen them 3 times live and met them once. (when they toured with for W Zombie)

Dime and Vinnie are cool as XXXX hell
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • The very last song they did was Planet Caravan...Phil got on the mike and said, "Light 'em up".

Type O Negative opened up for them. They played for like 45 minutes, but I swear they only played 2 songs.

:D

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Jellyrolls wrote:
    I haven't seen a thread about Pantera in a while. They certainly deserve some praise. I recently seen an interview with Philip Anselmo, and he after a year he is still a disaster from Dime'e death. Who else is a huge fan of IMO the most influential band for modern metal.

R.I.P Dime

Hell yeah!!!!! I used to eat and breath PanterA!!!!
  • CuriousCurious Posts: 732
    My totally Pantera obsessed boyfriend of the time forced me to go see them... and I was instantly hooked. And we saw them again a coupla times afterwards.

Randomly browsing through Google Video a couple of days ago I stumbled across a full length video of the show I was at in '94 at the Brixton Academy in London... well worth a watch if anyone has an hour and a half on their hands.

Even to this day I listen to these guys and can't get over just how IMMENSE they still sound. Awesome band.
    "The secret of creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." - Einstein
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    Pantera rules!
    pity they only made 5 metal albums...they had alot more in them.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • AxlUlrich wrote:
    Pantera rules!
    pity they only made 5 metal albums...they had alot more in them.

5 very powerfull albums!!!!!!!!!!!!
    5 very powerfull albums!!!!!!!!!!!!
    8 powerful albums would be better though :(
    heh but well i hope they do release the Pantera rarities album afterall and some leftover material from Damageplan which i thought was coming out this year.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

YNWA
  • AxlUlrich wrote:
    8 powerful albums would be better though :(
    heh but well i hope they do release the Pantera rarities album afterall and some leftover material from Damageplan which i thought was coming out this year.

Yeah i see what you're saying, there definatley was no reason why they should not have kept rocking it out, but last interview i read Vinnie was saying that they were done with PanterA and moving on with Damageplan, and yes i heard they are gonna release the left over damageplan which is supposed to be even better than what they had out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yeah i see what you're saying, there definatley was no reason why they should not have kept rocking it out, but last interview i read Vinnie was saying that they were done with PanterA and moving on with Damageplan, and yes i heard they are gonna release the left over damageplan which is supposed to be even better than what they had out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Damageplan aint bad..but they arent Pantera!
    Phil truly was a difference maker..his stage presence and vocals are hard to match or duplicate.
    im looking forward more to the Pantera b side and rarities album..that should be great!

YNWA
  • AxlUlrich wrote:
    Damageplan aint bad..but they arent Pantera!
    Phil truly was a difference maker..his stage presence and vocals are hard to match or duplicate.
    im looking forward more to the Pantera b side and rarities album..that should be great!

i hear you, i never bought the damageplan cd, but Vinnie says the upcoming stuff is waaaaaay more advance so you know we'll see. PanterA b-sides and rarities would be very sweet indeed!!!
    i hear you, i never bought the damageplan cd, but Vinnie says the upcoming stuff is waaaaaay more advance so you know we'll see. PanterA b-sides and rarities would be very sweet indeed!!!
    i only bought the Damageplan cd cos i saw a new copy for like US$6 on sale lol.
    not the greatest album but its listenable.
    yeh i hope the rarities album will include some cover songs..Pantera always did a great job with covers.

YNWA
  • AxlUlrich wrote:
    i only bought the Damageplan cd cos i saw a new copy for like US$6 on sale lol.
    not the greatest album but its listenable.
    yeh i hope the rarities album will include some cover songs..Pantera always did a great job with covers.

They have a new Vinnie interview on the PanterA site, well it aint that new but its very recent, you might wanna check it out, actually i'm gonna head out there right now to see if there's any new stuff :D yeah!
  • U-RU-R Posts: 223
    pantera are a band i respect more than i like. i was never into them in a big way but there's no denying their impact and legacy on the metal scene.

dimebag, a true master. as great as some other soloists are, many of them learned everything they know through experience and practice, to me dimebag is one of those rare guys who just seemed to have something that couldn't be taught or learnt, something a freak talent like he simply has.
    as for his death, as tragic as it was, you couldn't think of a much more fail-proof way to immortalise yourself in heavy music archives than that could ya?
    if you love somebody, set them free. if somebody loves you, don't fuck up
  • U-R wrote:
    pantera are a band i respect more than i like. i was never into them in a big way but there's no denying their impact and legacy on the metal scene.

dimebag, a true master. as great as some other soloists are, many of them learned everything they know through experience and practice, to me dimebag is one of those rare guys who just seemed to have something that couldn't be taught or learnt, something a freak talent like he simply has.
    as for his death, as tragic as it was, you couldn't think of a much more fail-proof way to immortalise yourself in heavy music archives than that could ya?

If i was a guitar legend i would wanna die on stage in front of my fans and not any other way! As messed up as that sounds i dont see it as messed up i see it as going down in a blaze of glory!!!!!
  • i still love them

and miss the sound of pantera;)
  • i still love them

and miss the sound of pantera;)

Well don't miss it, grab a cd and play the hell out if it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
  • Well don't miss it, grab a cd and play the hell out if it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

yea ; can do ;):D
  • I watched a Pantera dvd on Dime's d-day. It was sorta my celebration of his music. He was truley one of the best guitarists of my time, (I'm 26), and he will always be remembered for that! God Bless Dime and riff in peace!
    We need Pearl Jam in Atlanta!!! 2006-2007

The dirty south needs a fix.
    cookie5798 wrote:
    I watched a Pantera dvd on Dime's d-day. It was sorta my celebration of his music. He was truley one of the best guitarists of my time, (I'm 26), and he will always be remembered for that! God Bless Dime and riff in peace!
    Riff in Peace heh..love how that sounds
    every dec 8th now i gotta listen to Hollow and Floods..for me my fave guitar solos from Dime.

YNWA
  • sj_2150sj_2150 Posts: 275
    i fucking love pantera... a reunion would have been really cool. its amazing how many people have still such a rememberance for dime, he was so amazing. i hope Vinnie, Rex and Phil can at least get along (well mostly Vinnie and Phil)
    I wish my grass was emo... so then it would cut itself
    http://www.soundclick.com/Arcticangel
    http://www.soundclick.com/Armadillo
    According to one person who attended last night's taping of VH1 Classic's "Decades Rock Live!" tribute to HEART at the Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City, former PANTERA and current SUPERJOINT RITUAL/DOWN frontman Philip Anselmo — who performed with the reunited ALICE IN CHAINS at the event — was seen "drunkenly walking up to 'American Idol' winner Carrie Underwood" — who was also one of the night's performers — "throwing his tattooed arm around her neck and saying, 'I'm a huge fan... I — I actually — I actually voted for you! No, seriously!'"

Anselmo joined ALICE IN CHAINS members Jerry Cantrell (guitar), Mike Inez (bass) and Sean Kinney (drums), plus guest musician (on second guitar) Duff McKagan (VELVET REVOLVER, ex-GUNS N' ROSES), for two songs: "Them Bones" and "Would?"

YNWA
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    According to one person who attended last night's taping of VH1 Classic's "Decades Rock Live!" tribute to HEART at the Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City, former PANTERA and current SUPERJOINT RITUAL/DOWN frontman Philip Anselmo — who performed with the reunited ALICE IN CHAINS at the event — was seen "drunkenly walking up to 'American Idol' winner Carrie Underwood" — who was also one of the night's performers — "throwing his tattooed arm around her neck and saying, 'I'm a huge fan... I — I actually — I actually voted for you! No, seriously!'"

Anselmo joined ALICE IN CHAINS members Jerry Cantrell (guitar), Mike Inez (bass) and Sean Kinney (drums), plus guest musician (on second guitar) Duff McKagan (VELVET REVOLVER, ex-GUNS N' ROSES), for two songs: "Them Bones" and "Would?"

leave to phil to do something that funny and sad.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    Phil's a fucking waste. He has great talent, but he has deeper issues. He fucked up Pantera and continues to fuck up his life. I'm sure he'll be joining Dime sooner than is natural.

RIP Dimebag.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Pantera is great. It's a pity they only could made 5 albums!