Why does Radiohead get so much credit for In Rainbows?

2»

Comments

• vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    Soupy wrote:
    Because it's Radiohead. They invented a whole new genre of music Eletronic/Ambience with Kid A.

/Please note anyone who 'claims' to be making Eletronic/Ambience music pre Kid A is lying - It's also true 'Creep' is the very first Rock song ever, Thom Yorke is God (in every religion) and 'Fitter/Happier' isn't a complete waste of time at all it's instead a brilliant piece of ironic social commentory and that better with every listen.

Radiohead > You and everything you've ever done and will do.
    The only parts i disagree with are that Creep was the very first Rock Song and the electronica bit.... Thom Yorke is a god in my religion.... Music :)

and fitter/happier is just that :)

and radiohead are greater than me :p I will never write anything like OK Computer.... In Rainbows has some quality songs!! deny it and you are kidding yourself :)
  • vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    JWBusher wrote:
    Anti-Radiohead people are funny because they've deluded themselves into believing that people "pretend" to like Radiohead because it's the trendy thing to do. It's just as stupid as people who are vehemently anti-Beatles. They refuse to believe that maybe the quality of the music has something to do with their popularity.
    NOw I believe there are some people that are fashionably Bi-sexual..... but i doubt people will feign liking Radiohead because it's cool.... The Ramones on the other hand well.... look at all the fucking Ramones t-shirts being printed today :p
  • I dunno, because it's fucking amazing and it's Radiohead?
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Igottago wrote:
    Not quite true. If it was such a great album people would've recognized it. Trail of Dead has been a name everyone has been throwing about the past several years and everyone has been waiting for them to do something half decent so they could finally get on magazine covers etc...well it hasn't happened. Meanwhile Radiohead have made classic album after classic album. In fact, Radiohead could record fart noises and it would actually be musically better than anything Trail of Dead have attempted to do in recent memory.

In the end the answer to the original post is because Radiohead are probably the best band in the world, that's why they got recognition for their move. When the best band in the world does something, you take notice. When someone like Trail of Dead does something you read it on pitchfork, think "who cares", and move on.

LOL you are hereby nominated for bonehead post of the day.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    JWBusher wrote:
    Anti-Radiohead people are funny because they've deluded themselves into believing that people "pretend" to like Radiohead because it's the trendy thing to do. It's just as stupid as people who are vehemently anti-Beatles. They refuse to believe that maybe the quality of the music has something to do with their popularity.

i don't believe they're pretending. i just put them in the same category as nsync fans. they're liking whatever their hip scene magazine tells them to like (just as nsync fans will like whatever mtv says they should) and they are so rabidly devoted they will swear up and down that the group can do no wrong.
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    i don't believe they're pretending. i just put them in the same category as nsync fans. they're liking whatever their hip scene magazine tells them to like (just as nsync fans will like whatever mtv says they should) and they are so rabidly devoted they will swear up and down that the group can do no wrong.

That is an ignorant statement. People don't listen to Radiohead because magazines tell them to. They do it because their music is fuckin great. Sure, Radiohead get a lot of critical acclaim and a lot of press. But that's because they are great.

People will backlash against anything that gets popular, whether its good or not. When you cut through all the bullshit in the media, and the hipster fanbase, Radiohead is a great band, full stop. The songs and albums are all the evidence anyone needs of that. If you don't like them, that is fine, that is your opinion. But your opinion differs from what a lot of genuine music fans (nsync fans are not genuine music fans) believe...that Radiohead are the best band going right now.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Igottago wrote:
    That is an ignorant statement. People don't listen to Radiohead because magazines tell them to. They do it because their music is fuckin great. Sure, Radiohead get a lot of critical acclaim and a lot of press. But that's because they are great.

People will backlash against anything that gets popular, whether its good or not. When you cut through all the bullshit in the media, and the hipster fanbase, Radiohead is a great band, full stop. The songs and albums are all the evidence anyone needs of that. If you don't like them, that is fine, that is your opinion. But your opinion differs from what a lot of genuine music fans (nsync fans are not genuine music fans) believe...that Radiohead are the best band going right now.

it is an ignorant statement to say nsync fans are not genuine music fans. how come you get to decide who is a real music fan and what criteria do you use? since when is pop music not real? ever hear of the first boy band... they were called the beatles.

radiohead is a great band, but they've also turned out some very mediocre albums that people fell over themselves to worship. being a great band doesn't mean you never falter. shit, pearl jam released riot act, which is worse than even amnesiac.
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    it is an ignorant statement to say nsync fans are not genuine music fans. how come you get to decide who is a real music fan and what criteria do you use? since when is pop music not real? ever hear of the first boy band... they were called the beatles.

radiohead is a great band, but they've also turned out some very mediocre albums that people fell over themselves to worship. being a great band doesn't mean you never falter. shit, pearl jam released riot act, which is worse than even amnesiac.

Well, the Beatles were definitely not a boy band. I could argue with you all day on this point, but obviously we are just coming at this from completely different angles.

Nsync fans, as you correctly pointed out earlier, would pretty much take whatever trend is fed to them by mainstream media outlets. They generally view their music as disposable and as an accessory. I think most genuine music fans look for something more from what they listen to, are more active in seeking out new bands/musicians, and generally spend more time and energy listening to and enjoying a variety of music. I would put most Radiohead fans in that category.

I'm not saying Radiohead hasn't or will never falter. But I still think their biggest misteps are relatively great albums.

Obviously we differ on how we approach music, because you point out Riot Act is a weak PJ album, but I think its far and away a better album than Avacado could ever be.
  • it is an ignorant statement to say nsync fans are not genuine music fans. how come you get to decide who is a real music fan and what criteria do you use? since when is pop music not real? ever hear of the first boy band... they were called the beatles.

It's an ignorant statement for you to say that Radiohead has put out mediocre albums like that is a fact. To me and many others, Radiohead hasn't done anything mediocre since The Bends and Pablo Honey.

The N'Sync/Radiohead comparison is about the most ridiculous comparison I've ever heard. And yes, 99% of N'Sync fans are just top 40 lovers who only want a catchy tune they can dance to in the clubs.

It's very arrogant to assume you know why anyone who likes Radiohead likes Radiohead. I find their music to be beautiful and creative and I don't care much why anyone else likes them or doesn't like them.
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    who the hell is Trail of the Dead?

nuff said?
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    JWBusher wrote:

there's definitely a lot of truth in your statement, but as an avid radiohead fan myself, even i have been completely stunned and annoyed by the universal cock suck they've received since the release of OK Computer. i can relate to both sides of the fence: yes, Radiohead are one of the better bands to emerge from the 90s and they've released some very creative albums, but by no means are their stuff so superior to all the other stuff out there as claimed by such a shit load of critics.

i remember the "pitchfork" review of kid a starting of with saying: "comparing other music to kid a is like comparing blue wallpaper to an aquarium." i mean that is just fucking ridiculous and enough to generate a lot of hate from music lovers not induced to blindly believe such bullshit pro-Radiodhead propaganda.

to finish my rambling: yes, radiohead are a great band, but non the less they are without a doubt over hyped by the music industry/press.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    This isn't a Trail of Dead VS Radiohead thread. Who is better is not only an obvious answer but it irrelevant.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?