Why does Radiohead get so much credit for In Rainbows?

MCGMCG Posts: 780
edited December 2007 in Other Music
Consider this:

...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead did something extraordinarily similar with the release of "So Divided" almost a year before Radiohead's digital release of "In Rainbows". Below are a few of the differences:

Trail of Dead did a full album digital download before the CD release of So Divided, only they gave it away for free. Didn't make a dime, just shared it with as many people as possible.

Trail of Dead was currently an Interscope artist at the time, who have since dropped their label.

What I don't understand is how Radiohead gets credit for being an innovator, even though they were the second artist to do it by 11 months.
Which came first,
the bad idea or me befallen by it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Because Trail of the Dead haven't made any music that could be considered great since Source Tags and Codes.
  • Cool. Too bad their music isn't as good ;)

Music is all about ripping people off. Everything you've ever heard came from some other, older artist or song. There's no more true originality these days.

Besides, I don't think Radiohead ever claimed to have done it first. They just had a good idea, and hopefully, more artists will be inspired by Radiohead's example.

Oh and the answer to your question is because In Rainbows is one of the biggest releases in the world this year.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    MCG wrote:
    Consider this:

...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead did something extraordinarily similar with the release of "So Divided" almost a year before Radiohead's digital release of "In Rainbows". Below are a few of the differences:

Trail of Dead did a full album digital download before the CD release of So Divided, only they gave it away for free. Didn't make a dime, just shared it with as many people as possible.

Trail of Dead was currently an Interscope artist at the time, who have since dropped their label.

What I don't understand is how Radiohead gets credit for being an innovator, even though they were the second artist to do it by 11 months.

its the difference between a superstar megaband doing it and a small critics favourite band...

it'd be like Manchester United letting in people for nothing to see a footie game and Winchester City saying "oh but we did it first :mad: " .. maybe they did but it didnt reach the same level of people.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    dunkman wrote:
    its the difference between a superstar megaband doing it and a small critics favourite band...

it'd be like Manchester United letting in people for nothing to see a footie game and Winchester City saying "oh but we did it first :mad: " .. maybe they did but it didnt reach the same level of people.

That is exactly what I think makes it so much more impressive that Trail of Dead did it. They could really use the money and did it in a way that would actually make them less, Radiohead could wipe their asses with 20's.
    Which came first,
  • MCG wrote:
    That is exactly what I think makes it so much more impressive that Trail of Dead did it. They could really use the money and did it in a way that would actually make them less, Radiohead could wipe their asses with 20's.
    They're an internationally known band that is praised by hip critics everywhere you look. They aren't worried about money I'm sure. :D

They aren't Radiohead big, but they're big.

"Make our day"
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Because Trail of the Dead haven't made any music that could be considered great since Source Tags and Codes.

and radiohead hasn't done anything great since ok computer, what's your point? so divided is better than kid a-hail to the thief by a long shot.
  • and radiohead hasn't done anything great since ok computer, what's your point? so divided is better than kid a-hail to the thief by a long shot.

Yeah, right.
  • and radiohead hasn't done anything great since ok computer, what's your point? so divided is better than kid a-hail to the thief by a long shot.
    I consider Kid A and Hail to the Theif to be great albums + In Rainbows. There should be very little debate that these are great albums, just because Radiohead did make these guitar driven albums does not take anything away from them.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Smashing Pumpkins did this too with the release of Machina II

Source Tags & Codes is a great album. The only other one of theirs i have is Worlds Apart and it is pretty cool too.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeep wrote:

Source Tags & Codes is a great album. The only other one of theirs i have is Worlds Apart and it is pretty cool too.
    It's amazing the amount of SP fans who are completely unaware of this album. But then it didn't get anywhere near the global coverage In Rainbows has had.

If anybody is interested.... check it out here.
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • intodeep wrote:
    Was about to say this. They did this in late 2000. So unless someone did it before that shouldn't Billy and Co. get the "credit" for this technique?
  • It's a little different with the Pumpkins though. Corgan wanted Machina to be a double album but Adore (great though it was) clunked in sales. The record company wouldn't let them put out a double album.

So Corgan released it for free.

Same principles, different motivation.

"Make our day"

I couldn't agree more.

I'm sick of all the kool-aid drinking idiots that think Radiohead can do no wrong.
  • Why don't the people who hate post Ok Computer Radiohead just shut up already :rolleyes: ?

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's illegitimate.

And the reason you feel they are overpraised is because a shit-ton of people love that music, which in itself seems to lend it legitimacy.

"Make our day"
  • Because In Rainbows is a stunning album.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • quasiquasi Posts: 492
    The biggest difference is that Radiohead just didn't give it away for free...they made people decide what they thought was worth paying. So, of course most people put 0.00 pounds. But, I'm sure everybody thought about what music was worth to them for a few seconds and that was what the question they were trying to pose. What is music worth to you? Free? Put 0.00. Ten dollars?
    SEA 9/20/92, SEA 12/7/93, SEA 12/31/94 (MS), SEA 11/5/00, SEA 11/6/00, SEA 12/8/02, SEA 12/9/02, BEN 10/22/03, GOR 9/1/05, SD 7/7/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 7/12/06, LA (EV) 4/12/08, LA (EV) 4/13/08, LA 7/12/08, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/7/09, SEA 12/6/13, SEA 8/8/18
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    It's amazing the amount of SP fans who are completely unaware of this album. But then it didn't get anywhere near the global coverage In Rainbows has had.

If anybody is interested.... check it out here.

Holy shit! Thanks, I can't believe I've never heard about this before!
    Which came first,
  • quasi wrote:
    The biggest difference is that Radiohead just didn't give it away for free...they made people decide what they thought was worth paying. So, of course most people put 0.00 pounds. But, I'm sure everybody thought about what music was worth to them for a few seconds and that was what the question they were trying to pose. What is music worth to you? Free? Put 0.00. Ten dollars?
    *nods*

I love it. :)

"Make our day"
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Because it's Radiohead. They invented a whole new genre of music Eletronic/Ambience with Kid A.

/Please note anyone who 'claims' to be making Eletronic/Ambience music pre Kid A is lying - It's also true 'Creep' is the very first Rock song ever, Thom Yorke is God (in every religion) and 'Fitter/Happier' isn't a complete waste of time at all it's instead a brilliant piece of ironic social commentory and that better with every listen.

Radiohead > You and everything you've ever done and will do.
  • nepalnepal Posts: 143
    and Saul Williams is doing the same thing right now, and nobody´s talking about that... http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu
    ...the dreams ain't broken down here now,
    they're walking with a limp
  • PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    Soupy wrote:
    Because it's Radiohead. They invented a whole new genre of music Eletronic/Ambience with Kid A.

/Please note anyone who 'claims' to be making Eletronic/Ambience music pre Kid A is lying - It's also true 'Creep' is the very first Rock song ever, Thom Yorke is God (in every religion) and 'Fitter/Happier' isn't a complete waste of time at all it's instead a brilliant piece of ironic social commentory and that better with every listen.

excellent post.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    Soupy wrote:

there's more than a bit of truth in this sarcasm.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    and radiohead hasn't done anything great since ok computer, what's your point? so divided is better than kid a-hail to the thief by a long shot.

Not quite true. If it was such a great album people would've recognized it. Trail of Dead has been a name everyone has been throwing about the past several years and everyone has been waiting for them to do something half decent so they could finally get on magazine covers etc...well it hasn't happened. Meanwhile Radiohead have made classic album after classic album. In fact, Radiohead could record fart noises and it would actually be musically better than anything Trail of Dead have attempted to do in recent memory.

In the end the answer to the original post is because Radiohead are probably the best band in the world, that's why they got recognition for their move. When the best band in the world does something, you take notice. When someone like Trail of Dead does something you read it on pitchfork, think "who cares", and move on.
  • PaulJam wrote:
    excellent post.
    No it was kind of a terrible post. Sorry.

Led Zeppelin wasn't original either. Doesn't seem like a very valid point at all. No music is just 'original'. Everything is of what came before it. Fucking christ, you anti-radiohead people are worse than you make the fans out to be.

"Make our day"
    Igottago wrote:
    Not quite true. If it was such a great album people would've recognized it. Trail of Dead has been a name everyone has been throwing about the past several years and everyone has been waiting for them to do something half decent so they could finally get on magazine covers etc...well it hasn't happened. Meanwhile Radiohead have made classic album after classic album. In fact, Radiohead could record fart noises and it would actually be musically better than anything Trail of Dead have attempted to do in recent memory.

In the end the answer to the original post is because Radiohead are probably the best band in the world, that's why they got recognition for their move. When the best band in the world does something, you take notice. When someone like Trail of Dead does something you read it on pitchfork, think "who cares", and move on.

i've never read anything about trail of dead on pitchfork or anywhere else. i was recommended them by somebody on here and i enjoyed it. they're very good. their songs are... SONGS. not noise. songs. not beats with mumbling. songs.

thus is my resentment... radiohead could record fart noises and all of you koolaid drinkin muthafuckas plus every music magazine in the world would tell me it's ingenious and i don't get music at all if i don't agree with them about that.
    No it was kind of a terrible post. Sorry.

Led Zeppelin wasn't original either. Doesn't seem like a very valid point at all. No music is just 'original'. Everything is of what came before it. Fucking christ, you anti-radiohead people are worse than you make the fans out to be.

originality has nothing to do with it. the point is that people acted like radiohead was groundbreakingly original, when, in fact, they weren't and others had been doing what they did better than they did it years before they did it. they had a run of good to mediocre albums that everyone tripped over themselves to worship and it was annoying. there is always a blowback when something becomes over-hyped.
    Soupy wrote:

i couldn't agree with you more. i need to write thom an apology for my blasphemy right now.
  • vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    MCG wrote:
    Trail of the Dead doing it is like me recording a song and giving it away... who the fuck are Trail of the Dead? they have a crap name :p

Might be because i've actually heard of Radiohead....

are Trail of the Dead an International band like the World Series of Baseball is International? :D
  • Anti-Radiohead people are funny because they've deluded themselves into believing that people "pretend" to like Radiohead because it's the trendy thing to do. It's just as stupid as people who are vehemently anti-Beatles. They refuse to believe that maybe the quality of the music has something to do with their popularity.
  • vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    MCG wrote:
    Holy shit! Thanks, I can't believe I've never heard about this before!
    Oh i heard of it back in the day it came out... but I had dial up internet... so didn't download :p