Call me an asshole, but...

pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,254
edited February 2008 in Other Music
I enjoy coming to Other Music for general music discussion. Am I the only one who gets a little annoyed when there's like 10 threads of mindless crap like "I'll name a band, you name a band that begins with the last letter" or "Name a band that has more vowels than consonants," etc.

Just an opinion.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Yeah, it's pretty annoying. I know a lot of people enjoy it but I think this forum is an amazing way to discover new music, and it's hard to do that when there's literally 10 threads for games.

If you enjoy them then cool but could there not be just one thread for them? Or a seperate sub-forum?
  • spnkrispnkri Posts: 137
    I agree. I don't even understand how these types of games could even be remotely entertaining to anyone, unless some of these people are really really bored and this is the only way they can think of to pass the time.

If we're going to have games threads, can't anyone at least try to think of something that requires at least a little bit of thinking?
  • They're playing Guitar Hero the other 90% of the time they're not playing these retarded games.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    Normally I'm all for simply ignoring the threads that don't interest me, but 8 games on the front page is excessive.

To be honest I haven't seen a truly intriguing discussion in here for a while. I'd start some of my own but I haven't proved to be a very successful thread-starter. ;)
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko Posts: 2,430
    asshole......................i can not believe i am the first to honor your request.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
    almost forgot.........i was listening to an old band from the 80's called "great white"....have you heard the song "sail away"?
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Agreed, I'd visit this forum much more frequently if thing were more regulated on this forum. At the same time there are a dozen of the "game" threads there are also multiple threads on the same subject. Anytime a thread I'm interested in pops up, it is usally buried a few pages back within a day, really kills my desire to visit this site daily.

But I hate to complain, the difference between an unregulated and a regulated board is night and day in terms of effort and costs associated with running it, I'm grateful this place is here at all and with such a high number of users it is impossible to ask for full-time staff to attempt to control things.
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    i don't mind it.
    nice, when i'm bored.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • I agree wholeheartedly with the original poster.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    You're not an asshole for thinking that. I'd probably complain too, but I somehow don't even notice them. I just scan Orher Music and only look at threads that appeal to me. Anything that has Music Game, Chris Cornell, Wolfmother, U2 or anything I somehow block out : )
  • Yeah it is very annoying when threads disappear because someone has posted on every game thread going. I wish they had a seperate forum for people who want to play these games.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    If you look at them, it essentially boils down to about four people just playing it. I swear I just saw one that had about 3 pages that consisted of just two people going back and fourth playing the thing.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,987
    pjl44 wrote:
    I enjoy coming to Other Music for general music discussion. Am I the only one who gets a little annoyed when there's like 10 threads of mindless crap like "I'll name a band, you name a band that begins with the last letter" or "Name a band that has more vowels than consonants," etc.

Just an opinion.

I TOTALLY agree but, being somewhat new, I didn't have the balls to say anything. Someone ripped me for some "stupid thread" I started and I thought "Stupid??? I'll SHOW you stupid!" Thanks for voicing my unspoken thoughts :p.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I cant stand those threads, first of all, nobody cares what you write on them. Second, they are pages long of useless crap.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,254
    imalive wrote:
    I TOTALLY agree but, being somewhat new, I didn't have the balls to say anything. Someone ripped me for some "stupid thread" I started and I thought "Stupid??? I'll SHOW you stupid!" Thanks for voicing my unspoken thoughts :p.

If nothing else, I am the voice of the people.
  • suns22suns22 Posts: 94
    I'm glad somebody finally said what I was thinking. I think they need to start a new section just called "Games" or something like that, and move all of those threads over there.

More music discussion, less games.
    San Antonio '03
    Houston '03
    Dallas '03
    Hopefully more to come in TX.......some day.
    Bonnaroo '08
    I cant stand those threads, first of all, nobody cares what you write on them. Second, they are pages long of useless crap.

Yeah, but I guess you can claim "I started a thread that got 10 billion replies." Personally, I've started my share that have gotten zero replies :(. I thought they were worthy :p!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • spnkrispnkri Posts: 137
    muppet wrote:
    If you look at them, it essentially boils down to about four people just playing it. I swear I just saw one that had about 3 pages that consisted of just two people going back and fourth playing the thing.

If that's the case, maybe those four people could just e-mail each other with their responses to keep it out of the forum. Or maybe even instant message or chat?

Or maybe we could start a new music game ourselves called "Start a new thread that starts with the last word of the previous thread".
  • now THIS is good...when PJ are quiet i like to discover something new to listen too..soooo let the show begin....
    anyone like/hear of 7M3?(SEVENMARYTHREE).
    I plan to live forever.so far so good !
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    The games are better than the "street-team" invasions that we have to suffer through on occasion......if you don't like the games, ignore them. The world's not here to please everyone.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    monster95 wrote:
    now THIS is good...when PJ are quiet i like to discover something new to listen too..soooo let the show begin....
    good band.
  • i don't mind seeing most of the games are based on other music/musicians. i don't participate in those games but it does seem appropriate in a sense that they are in this forum.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,254
    monster95 wrote:
    now THIS is good...when PJ are quiet i like to discover something new to listen too..soooo let the show begin....

Rock Crown...solid album. Think I'll listen to it tomorrow...
    I was just looking at those threads....it's kinda funny how they put seven exclamation points after the subject to infuse it with excitement :D.

Just like my hypocritical :D infuses this post!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Yeah, agree the "top 10" lists and games are annoying. I think I'm more annoyed by the "what band/singer/etc do you hate the most?" threads though.
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    Ok, you're an asshole....go cry some place else.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • I agree with the OP. Waste of space. Makes it hard to see information about other music when it drops off the first page thanks to the game threads.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    I agree with the first poster. Threads like that are a large reason this board is looked down on by a lot of PJ fans. So many threads here are worthless. It's nice to know there are people here who think the same.

I come here to a.) get PJ news, b.) discuss music with other music lovers (and LOST!)that I can't with my real life friends, c.) discover new bands, and d.) waste time at work.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    I want my time back! That was the biggest waste of energy I've trawled through in a while!
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • I agree with the original poster. I look past them, but when I get to this forum, they're sort of a crack in the windshield that always seems to be there that I have to look on either side of.

I guess I don't mind them, however if by chance this Message Pit is on the same server as the "Goods Section" on Pearljam.com, I'd hope these long threads aren't a straw on the camel's back with regards to server capacity.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river