Options

My moment with Ed at Mansfield II

BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
edited July 2008 in The Porch
Well this probably won’t seem nearly as cool to other people as some of the other amazing stories on here, but I thought I’d share anyway and hopefully I can convey how special it was to me.

Last night was my 5th show this tour and 11th total (nothing compared to most people but I think it's pretty good for being 18) and I was luckily enough to be in about the 12th row in section 2. It was even closer than most row 12’s because of the venue and the way it was curved.

During Alive, Eddie walked over to the edge of the stage right in front of me and kind of squatted down. He put his hands over his eyes and gazed into the crowd. I was going absolutely nuts during that song (and the whole show) and all of a sudden Eddie and I made eye contact. My first reaction was to wave, and right away Eddie smiled and waved back. As soon as he did that my heart started racing and my legs felt like jello. I was smiling so wide and even though I knew he was waving at me I couldn’t believe what was happening. So I waved back again even more enthusiastically and he started laughing and mimicking my wave and made a face like “Yes, I’m waving at you.” I’m not sure why I did this, but I was still just so shocked and couldn’t believe that Eddie Vedder, the singer of the band who changed my life in countless ways, and I were interacting. I pointed at myself and made a dorky motion like- ME!?!?! Eddie laughed even harder and shook his head to signal “yes!” He gave me one more wave and walked back toward the other side of the stage.

What I remember most about it was how genuine Eddie’s smile was the entire time and how even through 10 or so rows of people, we made such deep eye contact. He seemed like he really wanted me to know that he was waving at me. Even though we didn’t actually talk and the entire encounter was maybe 10 seconds, I will never forget any of it. I NEVER sit down at PJ shows but after it happened I had to for a few seconds just to digest it.

Anyway, It was just the best way to end an amazing month. I just graduated high school, went on vacation for a bit, and followed pearl jam for 5 dates. The whole week I had the time of my life and met a bunch of really cool people and saw some old friends. Cannot fucking wait until next tour :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428
    it's that eye contact!! I know what you mean....hard to look away, and damn intense.

congrats on graduating :-)
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Options
    i made hand contact!!! :D:D:D:D
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    cool ! glad you had a great time, and a moment with ed. :)
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    SuzieMSuzieM Posts: 113
    Well this probably won’t seem nearly as cool to other people as some of the other amazing stories on here, but I thought I’d share anyway and hopefully I can convey how special it was to me.

Last night was my 5th show this tour and 11th total (nothing compared to most people but I think it's pretty good for being 18) and I was luckily enough to be in about the 12th row in section 2. It was even closer than most row 12’s because of the venue and the way it was curved.

During Alive, Eddie walked over to the edge of the stage right in front of me and kind of squatted down. He put his hands over his eyes and gazed into the crowd. I was going absolutely nuts during that song (and the whole show) and all of a sudden Eddie and I made eye contact. My first reaction was to wave, and right away Eddie smiled and waved back. As soon as he did that my heart started racing and my legs felt like jello. I was smiling so wide and even though I knew he was waving at me I couldn’t believe what was happening. So I waved back again even more enthusiastically and he started laughing and mimicking my wave and made a face like “Yes, I’m waving at you.” I’m not sure why I did this, but I was still just so shocked and couldn’t believe that Eddie Vedder, the singer of the band who changed my life in countless ways, and I were interacting. I pointed at myself and made a dorky motion like- ME!?!?! Eddie laughed even harder and shook his head to signal “yes!” He gave me one more wave and walked back toward the other side of the stage.

What I remember most about it was how genuine Eddie’s smile was the entire time and how even through 10 or so rows of people, we made such deep eye contact. He seemed like he really wanted me to know that he was waving at me. Even though we didn’t actually talk and the entire encounter was maybe 10 seconds, I will never forget any of it. I NEVER sit down at PJ shows but after it happened I had to for a few seconds just to digest it.

Anyway, It was just the best way to end an amazing month. I just graduated high school, went on vacation for a bit, and followed pearl jam for 5 dates. The whole week I had the time of my life and met a bunch of really cool people and saw some old friends. Cannot fucking wait until next tour :)

Dude, that was totally special and I'm so happy for you! That would be one of my life's highlights if it ever happened to me! Stories like yours make me really happy about the band (and Eddie in particular!)
  • Options
    SuzieM wrote:
    Dude, that was totally special and I'm so happy for you! That would be one of my life's highlights if it ever happened to me! Stories like yours make me really happy about the band (and Eddie in particular!)

I'm a girl:p but thanks so much for the kind words. This will definitely be a major highlight for me:D
  • Options
    PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    I'm feeling ya!
    I'm much much older than you and back in the day when ED and the boys were NOT so friendly and happy on stage (early 90's) I took a chance and waved at Eddie from a very close seat. He waved back which totally shocked me because at the time, he was hating his fame. I looked at my then husband and he confirmed that ED had just waved back at me. Wow, the insanity.
    I'm so happy for you :D
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • Options
    PJPixie wrote:
    I'm feeling ya!
    I'm much much older than you and back in the day when ED and the boys were NOT so friendly and happy on stage (early 90's) I took a chance and waved at Eddie from a very close seat. He waved back which totally shocked me because at the time, he was hating his fame. I looked at my then husband and he confirmed that ED had just waved back at me. Wow, the insanity.
    I'm so happy for you :D
    haha yeah! i had to ask my friend next to me several times if it actually happened
  • Options
    you areyou are Posts: 1,651
    LOL! I LOVE it!! :D I was on second row in Columbia, SC and during Glorified G we made eye contact for probably a good 10 seconds but it felt like longer. Anyway we were both smiling and singing and it was wonderful! So happy for you! :p
    No need to be void, or save up on life...
    You got to spend it all
  • Options
    droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,341
    Yeah that must have been crazy. I know how you feel. I was at Mansfield 2 and 8 rows back and me and mike were in a pointing match for like 10 seconds or so. I kept pointing at him and he would keep pointing back. Finally i pointed to myself and he nodded and pointed back one more time. I also got one of his picks. Unreal show by the best band around.
  • Options
    elevation622elevation622 Posts: 926
    Good for you! Awesome story!
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    OMG GIRL, YOU GOT ONE TOO???????!!!!!!!!!

i didn't get a wave but a smile.
    i'll never forget it for the rest of my life.

oh lindsay, wasn't it great? :) .........that feeling.

here's a part of my front row review.

'I think it was during Alive when Ed walked over and was right in front of me. Oh, he had a Who shirt on….kickass…ties in with my Magic Bus plate frame on my van. His mic wouldn’t reach so he dropped it. He walked passed me. People were rushing the stage. Scary but I didn’t notice. I was leaning over far because damn Brian was in the way. Ha! The exact moment where I looked around Brian is when Ed smiled at me. On top of that I was so stoked I didn’t go all CP-ish. I was smiling pretty, I could feel it. Brian wouldn’t lie to me, so a few minutes later I asked him if Ed looked at me. He confirmed it.

Ok, I won’t deny it, Ed is old, but I swear when he smiles the age disappears and it is the cutest thing ever! He’s so intense. He may not climb the rafters anymore, but that same energy is still there.

At one point Brian was trying to call attention to me by pointing at me for Ed to toss me a tambourine. I thought that was sweet of Brian.'

oh what the hell........
    here's the Mike part too.

'I wasn’t on Mike’s side, which bummed me out. Just an enie weenie bit. I did catch Stone doing his neck bob. I think it’s call the Stony Pony by the fans. He did have a beard but it couldn’t hide his smile he beamed a couple times through the show. It seemed real fast after Ed smiled at me that Mike cross to my side and threw one of his picks at me. Did Ed mention to Mike to do that? I’m delusional, I know. As he threw his pick this guy reached right in front of my face to try to catch it. He hit my nose. Then I felt somebody’s elbow go right into the top of my head. Ok, bouncers poor job! None of those things hurt though because I was so pumped. Brian was down on his hands and knees trying to find the pick. I was doing my nonstop nervous anxiety giggling thing. There was no way we were going to end up with the pick. But lo and behold this guy found it and handed it to us. I think I remember looking back at the guy that had hit my nose and he told me he was sorry. That pick look like it was headed straight down my shirt if he hadn’t blocked it. heehehe! Mike got in my shirt. Ha! The Pick is yellow. A different dog on each side, with Mike’s name. Maybe his pets? I want to thank that guy for finding it for me. Mike, your fans are the best........I got the pick!'

does the excitement ever end? hehehe
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    skinnylegsskinnylegs Posts: 112
    Cute. I have a very similar story. At Randall's Island in '94(?), I managed to squirm myself to the front row, all the way on the right. During John Popper's harmonica solo, Eddie came over right in front of me. So naturally I started waving to him like a lunatic. He squatted down right in front of me -I think he was worried I might be hurt since I was waving like a madwoman- and when he saw I was okay, he waved back in the same insane way. He was probably making fun of me, but I don't care, it was still cool. I don't know why it means a lot to me, but it does.

I also made hand contact at Jones Beach '00. And being usually 2nd or 3rd row, eye conatct numerous times.

Highlights of my life, the loser that I am.
    "Those who dance are called insane by people who don't hear the music."
  • Options

'I think it was during Alive when Ed walked over and was right in front of me. Oh, he had a Who shirt on….kickass…ties in with my Magic Bus plate frame on my van. His mic wouldn’t reach so he dropped it. He walked passed me. People were rushing the stage. Scary but I didn’t notice. I was leaning over far because damn Brian was in the way. Ha! The exact moment where I looked around Brian is when Ed smiled at me. On top of that I was so stoked I didn’t go all CP-ish. I was smiling pretty, I could feel it. Brian wouldn’t lie to me, so a few minutes later I asked him if Ed looked at me. He confirmed it.

Ok, I won’t deny it, Ed is old, but I swear when he smiles the age disappears and it is the cutest thing ever! He’s so intense. He may not climb the rafters anymore, but that same energy is still there.

At one point Brian was trying to call attention to me by pointing at me for Ed to toss me a tambourine. I thought that was sweet of Brian.'

oh what the hell........

'I wasn’t on Mike’s side, which bummed me out. Just an enie weenie bit. I did catch Stone doing his neck bob. I think it’s call the Stony Pony by the fans. He did have a beard but it couldn’t hide his smile he beamed a couple times through the show. It seemed real fast after Ed smiled at me that Mike cross to my side and threw one of his picks at me. Did Ed mention to Mike to do that? I’m delusional, I know. As he threw his pick this guy reached right in front of my face to try to catch it. He hit my nose. Then I felt somebody’s elbow go right into the top of my head. Ok, bouncers poor job! None of those things hurt though because I was so pumped. Brian was down on his hands and knees trying to find the pick. I was doing my nonstop nervous anxiety giggling thing. There was no way we were going to end up with the pick. But lo and behold this guy found it and handed it to us. I think I remember looking back at the guy that had hit my nose and he told me he was sorry. That pick look like it was headed straight down my shirt if he hadn’t blocked it. heehehe! Mike got in my shirt. Ha! The Pick is yellow. A different dog on each side, with Mike’s name. Maybe his pets? I want to thank that guy for finding it for me. Mike, your fans are the best........I got the pick!'

ahh that's such a great story too! I'm so happy for you too. and I know exactly what you mean about when Ed smiles. :D
  • Options
    thanks!

i'm glad you shared your story too.

• Options
    heartdesireheartdesire Posts: 430
    BlackCourduroy awesome story! Thanks for taking the time to share it! Life is great all around, though you are in one of the most fun adventurous times of life!!! Congrats on graduating and sharing a smile with Ed! If and when you get a tough moment, remember that smile, that moment in time, it will bring you more joy and transform you more than one can ever explain.
    "i'm a dedicated insomniac" ~ ev nyc beacon 6/22
  • Options
    peachykeenpeachykeen NY Posts: 108
    kiddo that's awesome!
    *If I had known then what I know now*

199xxx
  • Options
    kmrockkmrock Posts: 31
    it's great to hear a story like this from such a young person. I'm really glad you will have the memory to treasure. peace, and keep up your passion for life
    "My back is broken, and my hands are blistered"
  • Options

I think you're in the right place- I dare anyone to say they couldn't give a crap if Ed acknowledges them! Heck- I was halfway back on the side in DC and Ed did the shading his eyes thing and it felt like he was looking right at me. Well, me and the other 200 people in front of me, but....

But seriously, I have been close enough to get eye contact and there is something very special about it. Congrats!
    We're all different behind the eyes.

You are U, who you are.
  • Options
    I think you're in the right place- I dare anyone to say they couldn't give a crap if Ed acknowledges them! Heck- I was halfway back on the side in DC and Ed did the shading his eyes thing and it felt like he was looking right at me. Well, me and the other 200 people in front of me, but....

But seriously, I have been close enough to get eye contact and there is something very special about it. Congrats!

yes:D its incredible
  • Options
    pjhunz28pjhunz28 Posts: 206
    very cool :) i had a similar experience when i was front row in 98....you'll never forget the feeling ;):)
    9/26/96, 9/15/98, 8/29/00, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 7/23/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    EV
    Boston 1
  • Options

oh what the hell........

guess what?
    i found it on you tube!
    wish it was bigger thou.....
    starts around 2:55
    YOU CAN SEE MIKES ARM GO UP AS HE TOSSES IT TO ME! if you zoom in.
    3:31 here's a screen cap http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/blondieblue227/concert/pj08/throw.jpg
    he must be a pro at tossing picks. hehehe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stQRpPT3DrY

:D

• Options
    guess what?
    i found it on you tube!
    wish it was bigger thou.....
    starts around 2:55
    YOU CAN SEE MIKES ARM GO UP AS HE TOSSES IT TO ME! if you zoom in.
    3:31 here's a screen cap http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/blondieblue227/concert/pj08/throw.jpg
    he must be a pro at tossing picks. hehehe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stQRpPT3DrY

:D
    So cool! I think I could see it.
    I would die if I had a video of my moment haha. I found a video I thought might have it but I think it started just after it happened.
  • Options
    edit- double post. this board is getting slow with all the exciting EV tour news:D
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    High school graduate who followed them for 5 shows? You sound like me :D

That's an awesome story though! I don't mean to come in and ruin your story or anything, but something crazy happened with me and Ed in the DC show as well. I won the 10c lottery and got front row seats, sec 2 right in front of Ed. Of course I was going nuts the whole time. It was my brother's first show, and he's not a huge fan so he was just enjoying the show. At one point Eddie is looking around to see who to give his guitar pick to. He usually throws it out to people, but my brother pointed at me.

So Eddie looks at me, then gets down on his knees and starts reaching over the stage to try to personally hand it to me. I freak out and I'm like hanging over the bar trying to reach his hand. Ed's about to fall over and he's too far, so the security guard just takes the pick and gives it to me. Then Ed just gets up and smiles.

Was probably the best moment in my life, lol...
  • Options
    So cool! I think I could see it.
    I would die if I had a video of my moment haha. I found a video I thought might have it but I think it started just after it happened.

i freaking can't believe i found that.
    youtube is da shit. lol

_outlaw wrote:

That's an awesome story though! I don't mean to come in and ruin your story or anything, but something crazy happened with me and Ed in the DC show as well. I won the 10c lottery and got front row seats, sec 2 right in front of Ed. Of course I was going nuts the whole time. It was my brother's first show, and he's not a huge fan so he was just enjoying the show. At one point Eddie is looking around to see who to give his guitar pick to. He usually throws it out to people, but my brother pointed at me.

So Eddie looks at me, then gets down on his knees and starts reaching over the stage to try to personally hand it to me. I freak out and I'm like hanging over the bar trying to reach his hand. Ed's about to fall over and he's too far, so the security guard just takes the pick and gives it to me. Then Ed just gets up and smiles.

sweet!
    my guy was point at me to get a tambourine, but gotta a mike pick instead. ;)

• Options
    _outlaw wrote:

That's such a cool story too. I wonder if Ed realizes how the littlest interaction can be something we will never forget:)
    So did you just graduate high school too?
  • Options
    washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078

i saw that!!! i saw him doing exactly that during that show and i didnt know why he was doing that, and now i know why! :D i was sitting sec 1, 8th row so i was close enough to see it happen. just so you know, it wasn't a dream and really did happen :)
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    i saw that!!! i saw him doing exactly that during that show and i didnt know why he was doing that, and now i know why! :D i was sitting sec 1, 8th row so i was close enough to see it happen. just so you know, it wasn't a dream and really did happen :)

Ah! that makes me so happy to hear someone else confirm it:p Thanks so much:D
  • Options
    wendy wrockswendy wrocks Posts: 135
    Partial Quote:

"Ok, I won’t deny it, Ed is old, but I swear when he smiles the age disappears and it is the cutest thing ever! He’s so intense. He may not climb the rafters anymore, but that same energy is still there."

Did somebody just call Eddie Vedder old?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?
    Honolulu, 2006, Lollapalooza, 2007, WPB, June 11, 2008 (my birthday!!!!!)
    Bonnaroo 2008, MSG June 24, The Beacon July 1, 2008 (Robin Hood Rocks)
    United Palace Theatre August 5, 2008, NJPAC August 7, 2008 (EV Solo)
    Tower Theater, Upper Darby, PA June 11, 2009 (My Birthday!), June 12
    The Spectrum Oct 27, 30, 31, 2009
    The Rock, May 18,(Front Row Center), MSG May 20, 21 2010

• Options
    PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    I'm still looking on YOUTUBE for video of the most awesomest rockstar moment of my life EVER on New Years Eve 2007! I haven't had any luck :(
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........