This band made 3 of the best albums of the last 10 years:

2»

Comments

• hodgehodge Posts: 519
    Califronication-Is a masterpiece there best work

do yourself a favor, buy/download Blood Sugar Sex Magik
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    A lot of BSSM sounds the same, and Californication is only good for the first 6 songs, then it gets boring.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • Californication is a favorite of mine.

By The Way and Stadium Arcadium just don't do anything for me. they're not terrible, i don't cringe or anything when i hear them...but i can think of many better albums in the last ten years than those two.

as far as best output over the last ten years:

Pearl jam has them licked. yield, avocado, and binaural would make a better three albums.

Tom Waits has them crushed with Mule Variations, Blood Money and Real Gone.

Mark Lanegan even if you don't count the Soulsavers project or either album with Isobel Campbell (all three of which are better than californication/by the way/stadium arcadium) he's still got Here Comes That Weird Chill and I'll Take Care of You. If you don't count Weird Chill because it's an EP or I'll Take Care of You (covers)...he's still Field Songs, Bubblegum and Saturnalia. If you don't count Saturnalia because it's also a collaboration, Scraps at Midnight is at least better than By The Way and Stadium Arcadium. that's 9 albums in the last ten years, 7 of which are better than the Chili's best album since '98. (i'd say Californication is better than Scraps at Midnight and I'll Take Care of You...)

Matthew Good: White Light Rock and Roll Review, Beautiful Midnight, Avalanche, Underdogs, Last of the Ghetto Astronauts....

Beck: Sea Change, Mutations, Midnight Vultures, Guero...

Twilight Singers: Blackberry Belle, Powder Burns, Twilight As Played by the Twilight Singers...there's also She Loves You, Black is the Color of My True Love's Hair, and A Stitch In Time depending on whether or not we're counting EPs or covers.

The Black Keys: The Big Come Up, Rubber Factory, Magic Potion...(this one is debatable)

Ryan Adams: Easy Tiger, Rock n Roll, Cold, Heartbreaker, Love Is Hell...

Foo Fighters are pretty close too. think The Colour and The Shape was eleven years ago, but if you count that with One by One and There Is Nothing Left To lose, they beat the Chili peppers.

John Butler Trio: Three, Sunrise Over Sea and Grand National...(also very debatable.)

but anyways, it's all just a matter of opinion. Radiohead probably has three better albums in the last ten years, can't remember what years there stuff came out since i was kind of late getting into them. Tom Petty would be a debatable one, as would Bruce Springsteen and Neil Young. To throw even more fuel on the Oasis fire...I'd say they could measure up to those three RHCP even with their two best albums being more than ten years old.

all a matter of opinion, but i figured i would throw out what i thought were better albums instead of just saying BTW and SA were kind of boring and inconsistent. guess it also kind of depends on how big a group "the best" is. if it's like 150, i could see Californication, BTW and SA making my list pretty comfortably.

My list would prob be fairly big, but RHCP would be in the top part. I just like them. Definately Radiohead, PJ and many albums. PJ would have three for me if we count Yeild (about 97, 98 right?) It would be that one, Binaural, and Riot Act. NOT AVOCADO. I've thought for a long time about how PJ and RHCP may be these great long lasting bands with many albums of great music. PJ kinda slipped with Avocado, IMO. I'm sure they'll rebound, it was such a dissappointment for me considering how I absolutely love every previous album. And RHCP have gotten better with every album. Well,,, I love pretty much every song on SA, but being a double album it doesn't have much of an album "feel" and its hard for me to say that its better than BTW.

Here is something to get yall, but it my honest opinion:

STADIUM ARCADIUM > AVOCADO
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Red Hot Chili Peppers

Their last three blow me away. I know some will say they were better before Californication, but thats just your opinion. Mine is the previous albums were good, but they are on a higher level now. Some will say its pop, and I agree that its pop like The Beatles and Rolling Stones are pop. Its pretty much the best pop I've heard.

Your talking pish!
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    they haven't been good since One Hot Minute. 1995. 13 years ago.

errrrr, this was not a great album IMO. Navarro just didn't quite fit.
  • Gremmie95 wrote:
    errrrr, this was not a great album IMO. Navarro just didn't quite fit.
    I love that album, I think it's fantastic. Some of Flea's best bassing, Chad's best drumming and Kiedis does some impressive stuff with the vocals too. Not to mention that Navarro's awesome and plays some awesome solos.
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    I love that album, I think it's fantastic. Some of Flea's best bassing, Chad's best drumming and Kiedis does some impressive stuff with the vocals too. Not to mention that Navarro's awesome and plays some awesome solos.

don't get me wrong, there are some very good songs on the album, the flow just doesn't do it for me.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    peppers are pretty good
    decent records, good tunes-I like it when I hear it, but dont buy the records
    very talented guitarist

but, I lost a lot of respect for them after seeing them live a few times.

I prefer bands that are BETTER live than on the records. RHCP are a studio act IMHO.
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    I'll say it again: one of the worst live bands out there; worst concert I have seen. A few good albums, but most is just boring. Frusciante worst live guitarist ever.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    they haven't been good since One Hot Minute. 1995. 13 years ago.

while i would say californication (or whatever it was called) was a good album, I partially agree with you on that. I also think one hot minute was their best album, people hate it because it didn't have john on it, and that it was darker and wierder. I say, if its different, than thats more reason to like it. one hot minute was an incredible album, the opening song is absolutely flawless.

as far as where they are at now, stadium arcadium is on a thin line with me. Maybe if they didnt play that fucking tell me baby song so much on the radio i would like it a tad more. The album is absolutely nothing special though, and they are also pretty terrible live. I have never seen them live, but ive watched youtube vids etc and was not impressed. if i cant be impressed from a video of them playing live, then i doubt they are actually good in person.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    I love all three of those albums as well.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    while i would say californication (or whatever it was called) was a good album, I partially agree with you on that. I also think one hot minute was their best album, people hate it because it didn't have john on it, and that it was darker and wierder. I say, if its different, than thats more reason to like it. one hot minute was an incredible album, the opening song is absolutely flawless.

as far as where they are at now, stadium arcadium is on a thin line with me. Maybe if they didnt play that fucking tell me baby song so much on the radio i would like it a tad more. The album is absolutely nothing special though, and they are also pretty terrible live. I have never seen them live, but ive watched youtube vids etc and was not impressed. if i cant be impressed from a video of them playing live, then i doubt they are actually good in person.

You should re-evaluate that theory. Youtube videos are awful quality. I have watched plenty of 5 minute videos on that site that do not come anywhere close to representing how the band sounds live over the course of 2+ hours.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    You know the Chilis I love them and all but with each release they seem to alienate me more, I dont know why.

I feel the same
    Californication was good
    By The Way was weak, dull and powerless
    Stadium Arcadium is just trash of twentysomething ideas
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    The one thing that really grates with me about 'modern' chili's is the awful lyric Keidis now writes. The number of times of SA when he just use a place/location name (for no real reason) to rhyme.

The lyrics are awful now, they can still write some cool hooks musically but overall I find SA pretty boring.
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    Soupy wrote:
    The one thing that really grates with me about 'modern' chili's is the awful lyric Keidis now writes. The number of times of SA when he just use a place/location name (for no real reason) to rhyme.

The lyrics are awful now, they can still write some cool hooks musically but overall I find SA pretty boring.

Kiedis has done that for their entire career. Listen to Out In LA, Hollywood, Organic Anti-Beat Box Band, Apache Rose Peacock and about 25 other Chili Peppers songs before Californication. That's definitely not limited to "modern" RHCP. My problem with Kiedis' lyrics is that they are not longer blatantly about sex, like they were in the early days.

Also, anyone getting sick of Kiedis writing songs about places he likes should be pretty sick of Eddie writing songs about surfing, too.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    gleemonex wrote:
    Kiedis has done that for their entire career. Listen to Out In LA, Hollywood, Organic Anti-Beat Box Band, Apache Rose Peacock and about 25 other Chili Peppers songs before Californication. That's definitely not limited to "modern" RHCP. My problem with Kiedis' lyrics is that they are not longer blatantly about sex, like they were in the early days.

Also, anyone getting sick of Kiedis writing songs about places he likes should be pretty sick of Eddie writing songs about surfing, too.

I'm not bothered by songs about 'Places' as such, it's when a place name is throw into a song for no other purpose than to create a cheap rhyme with a word in the following line, it happens all over SA. It's just poor lyric writting.
  • Wet Sand is a great song. Love this song, another beautiful on from RHCP. Stadium Acradium didn't hit like a single disc album. There was just too much to absorb, but song by song I fall in love with this album. Digging "Wet Sand" at the moment.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Wet Sand is a great song.quote]

My favourite song on SA.....

Still can't understand the hate for them, though i can understand the criticism of Keidis, he's not aged or matured well like the other 3....

And at the risk of sounding like a broken record John Frusciante is an incredible guitarist......

can still remember the first time i heard that beautiful riff to Scar Tissue.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    californication is an amazing album imo
    by the way is another good album

stadium arcadium........no thanks.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    let the fashionable hate begin.....

its become so predictable to dislike this band.....

theres some superb guitar work from John on SA......

this doesn't make RHCP's albums the best of the last 10 years...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Julien wrote:
    this doesn't make RHCP's albums the best of the last 10 years...

I fully agree
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    I have to agree with the rest, Wet Sand is an amazing song... putting that on as I walk around campus on a nice day just makes it even better too. And yeah, I'm pretty sure Kiedis has said every single state in their whole song collection... haha, Dani California has at least 10...
    If I could, think I would give in.