This band made 3 of the best albums of the last 10 years:

reversedarwinismreversedarwinism Posts: 1,151
edited March 2008 in Other Music
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Their last three blow me away. I know some will say they were better before Californication, but thats just your opinion. Mine is the previous albums were good, but they are on a higher level now. Some will say its pop, and I agree that its pop like The Beatles and Rolling Stones are pop. Its pretty much the best pop I've heard.
bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    ewwwww....no way.

Californication was great.

By The Way was alright.

Stadium Arcadium was garbage.
  • AlBorlandAlBorland Posts: 117
    ewwwww....no way.

Californication was great.

By The Way was alright.

Stadium Arcadium was garbage.

my thoughts exactly.
    Skeletons ain't got nowhere to stick their money.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    let the fashionable hate begin.....

its become so predictable to dislike this band.....

theres some superb guitar work from John on SA......
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Brian V.Brian V. Posts: 51
    I like their old funky stuff better.. but I don't get the hate for Stadium Arcadium. Yes, it's crafted to be popular and easily consumable... but it's well crafted and most of the songs are pretty catchy and enjoyable.
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    i actually enjoy californication and by the way all the way through

stadium arcadium however has some hit or miss songs, but i guess that's what happens when you release a double album
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    You know the Chilis I love them and all but with each release they seem to alienate me more, I dont know why.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    the drones

the miller's daughter

wait long by the river and the bodies of your enemies will float by

gala mill

:)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Stadium Arcadium is great. I can listen to both discs without skipping a single track. I would even be as bold as to say RHCP have aged as gracefully as Pearl Jam have; with a sound that has evolved and flourished throughout their career while still staying true their roots.

I love 'em

Three crooked hearts, swirls all around

You can't spell Gossard without G-O-D
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Stadium Arcadium was an exercise in extreme ego, 28 songs, half of which are average at best.

By The Way on the other hand is varied and incredibly solid from start to finish, pretty much the perfect pop album, IMO.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Boring, radio friendly crap. The vocals are awful as well.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • ISUalISUal Posts: 40
    I don't know why but, many on this board seem to hate RHCP because its supposed be cool. I will say this, THE CHILIS FUCKING RULE! I've seen them live twice in the past 2 years, and while yes, one of those shows was supbar, the other was one of the best shows I've ever seen. I think By the Way and Stadium Arcadium are both great albums, full of some absolutely beautiful pop songs, and Frusciante is without a doubt an amazing guitarist. His solos on Stadium Arcadium are the definition of ear candy. Love this band...
    "I know I was born, and I know that I'll die, but in between is mine..." Ed
    ISUal wrote:
    I think By the Way and Stadium Arcadium are both great albums, full of some absolutely beautiful pop songs, and Frusciante is without a doubt an amazing guitarist. His solos on Stadium Arcadium are the definition of ear candy. Love this band...

I completely agree.....

Unfortunately there is some blatant music snobbery by certain fractions which seems to cloud people's judgement of their work.....

which is a very big shame, because as a guitarist and bassist myself Stadium Arcadium is an orgy to my ears.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
    ISUal wrote:
    I don't know why but, many on this board seem to hate RHCP because its supposed be cool.

Sorry but I find that kind of offensive, is it impossible for you to comprehend that some people just have higher standards than you? It's nothing to do with whether it's 'cool' or not to like them. Double albums are incredibly difficult to pull off, many bands have tried it and failed, and releasing 28 songs is a very risky thing to do.

I saw them at a festival last year and they put on a really lazy and boring show.
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    I'm a huge Chili Peppers fan and will defend their awesome-ness... but sometimes have trouble listening to Stadium Arcadium. If they just took the better songs from each cd they could have had a really solid album, I don't know why they chose the route they took.

And John Frusciante is the SHIT! Many don't realize that he IS RHCP. They would be nowhere without him.

If there was a weakest link (and I think there is) it's Anthony Keidis. But I could listen to John, Flea, and Chad jam all day.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • Brez wrote:
    I'm a huge Chili Peppers fan and will defend their awesome-ness... but sometimes have trouble listening to Stadium Arcadium. If they just took the better songs from each cd they could have had a really solid album, I don't know why they chose the route they took.

And John Frusciante is the SHIT! Many don't realize that he IS RHCP. They would be nowhere without him.

If there was a weakest link (and I think there is) it's Anthony Keidis. But I could listen to John, Flea, and Chad jam all day.

Which songs from SA would you omit? I couldn't reduce it into a single disc. And his voice only gets better to me. I do realize how much Frusciante is RHCP, well he's not all of it, but he's at least 60% of the reason why these last 3 albums have been so good. I don't come accross people that don't appreciate RHCP, except here.
  • they haven't been good since One Hot Minute. 1995. 13 years ago.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    Love the peppers but their output went down after Californication. By the way and the double album are just ripoffs.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Boring, radio friendly crap. The vocals are awful as well.

Sums up Oasis in two small sentances, well done.:p
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Sums up Oasis in two small sentances, well done.:p

I'd pay to see Oasis a million times over, but you couldn't pay me to watch another RHCP concert. They are the most god-awful live band i have ever seen, and that's a list of 300+
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
    The vocals are awful as well.

lol sorry dude but I cant take that from an Oasis fan.....Liam Gallagher is easily one of the worst vocalists ever :D

Ill always maintain Oasis would be good if they ditched Liam....
    Sums up Oasis in two small sentances, well done.:p

hehehehe!
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    Red Hot Chili Peppers

Their last three blow

I agree
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • KoL has made the best three albums of the last ten years.
  • By The Way is probably my favourite of the last three albums. The guitaring on Californication is so simple it actually bores me. I'll never understand the love for Frusciante.
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I can't take the Chili Peppers seriously anymore. I liked Californication, but I probably couldn't combine By The Way and Stadium Arcadium into one CD that tops anything they did pre-Californication.

If you truly believe that they have put out three of the ten best albums of the last ten years, I would be forced to believe you don't listen to much music.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • gleemonex wrote:
    I can't take the Chili Peppers seriously anymore. I liked Californication, but I probably couldn't combine By The Way and Stadium Arcadium into one CD that tops anything they did pre-Californication.

If you truly believe that they have put out three of the ten best albums of the last ten years, I would be forced to believe you don't listen to much music.

I listen to music all the time. Sirus radio and my own stuff plus my fiance's and her brother's quite often. I try new stuff out, what I'm exposed to. I'd say many of my favorites are pretty accepted here: PJ, SG, Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, ect. I just keep coming back to the last three RHCP albums. I really don't understand people's opinion of them here. At work, with the family, with the party crowd RHCP are accepted by all. The only place they don't seem to be accepted is here. Strip my Mind, Storm in a Tea Cup, so many others are just great songs. By the Way, I was and still am in love with. To me, its just pop music perfected.

BTW, I said 3 of the best albums of the last ten years not 3 of the best ten albums.
  • nothingheadnothinghead Posts: 270
    Californication is a favorite of mine.

By The Way and Stadium Arcadium just don't do anything for me. they're not terrible, i don't cringe or anything when i hear them...but i can think of many better albums in the last ten years than those two.

as far as best output over the last ten years:

Pearl jam has them licked. yield, avocado, and binaural would make a better three albums.

Tom Waits has them crushed with Mule Variations, Blood Money and Real Gone.

Mark Lanegan even if you don't count the Soulsavers project or either album with Isobel Campbell (all three of which are better than californication/by the way/stadium arcadium) he's still got Here Comes That Weird Chill and I'll Take Care of You. If you don't count Weird Chill because it's an EP or I'll Take Care of You (covers)...he's still Field Songs, Bubblegum and Saturnalia. If you don't count Saturnalia because it's also a collaboration, Scraps at Midnight is at least better than By The Way and Stadium Arcadium. that's 9 albums in the last ten years, 7 of which are better than the Chili's best album since '98. (i'd say Californication is better than Scraps at Midnight and I'll Take Care of You...)

Matthew Good: White Light Rock and Roll Review, Beautiful Midnight, Avalanche, Underdogs, Last of the Ghetto Astronauts....

Beck: Sea Change, Mutations, Midnight Vultures, Guero...

Twilight Singers: Blackberry Belle, Powder Burns, Twilight As Played by the Twilight Singers...there's also She Loves You, Black is the Color of My True Love's Hair, and A Stitch In Time depending on whether or not we're counting EPs or covers.

The Black Keys: The Big Come Up, Rubber Factory, Magic Potion...(this one is debatable)

Ryan Adams: Easy Tiger, Rock n Roll, Cold, Heartbreaker, Love Is Hell...

Foo Fighters are pretty close too. think The Colour and The Shape was eleven years ago, but if you count that with One by One and There Is Nothing Left To lose, they beat the Chili peppers.

John Butler Trio: Three, Sunrise Over Sea and Grand National...(also very debatable.)

but anyways, it's all just a matter of opinion. Radiohead probably has three better albums in the last ten years, can't remember what years there stuff came out since i was kind of late getting into them. Tom Petty would be a debatable one, as would Bruce Springsteen and Neil Young. To throw even more fuel on the Oasis fire...I'd say they could measure up to those three RHCP even with their two best albums being more than ten years old.

all a matter of opinion, but i figured i would throw out what i thought were better albums instead of just saying BTW and SA were kind of boring and inconsistent. guess it also kind of depends on how big a group "the best" is. if it's like 150, i could see Californication, BTW and SA making my list pretty comfortably.
  • melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    Califronication-Is a masterpiece there best work

By The Way-Great album with great songs

Stadium Arcadium-Is there 2nd best album, what a great cd. John's guitar playing on that cd i feel is his best yet. There getting better with age. Anyone who thinks Kedis is the weakest link, is on glue. He gives what makes them different. Weird lryics, funky singing, pop singing.

RCHP kick ass. There better now then they have ever been. Once John came back in 99 they stepped up there game.
  • ledfloydledfloyd Posts: 604
    californication - solid album, somewhere between bssm and one hot minute

by the way - started out great, but really didn't have a full album's worth of material

stadium arcadium - could've turned this album into a single disc and made it an unbelievable album, not sure what prompted them into making it a double disc
    "won't you help to sing, these songs of freedom...cause all i've ever had, redemption songs"
    --BOB MARLEY
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    Califronication-Is a masterpiece there best work

By The Way-Great album with great songs

Stadium Arcadium-Is there 2nd best album, what a great cd. John's guitar playing on that cd i feel is his best yet. There getting better with age. Anyone who thinks Kedis is the weakest link, is on glue. He gives what makes them different. Weird lryics, funky singing, pop singing.

RCHP kick ass. There better now then they have ever been. Once John came back in 99 they stepped up there game.

Wait until you see Anthony Kiedis put no effort into a performance. I think your opinion would change a little bit after that. One of the times I saw him sing Scar Tissue was one of the most painful things I've seen in a concert. He had no energy in the show up until that point and he was off key the entire song. It was like watching a bad karaoke version of the song.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut