Options

The GUITAR in rock peaked in the 90s

2»

Comments

• Options
    DOSW wrote:
    Jack White, Derek Trucks, John Mayer... there are plenty more I'm sure.
    +1
    Add John Frusciante, Davey Knowles.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    michio kurihara
    anything you can recommend outside the Boris release? Rainbow is soooooo good. What a unique guitar sound.
  • Options
    Want to get an idea of what I'm talking about??? Listen to Sirus's Lithium and compare to everything else.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    fada wrote:
    What great guitar players are there now in comparsion to Clapton, Gallagher, Page and Hendrix?
    In my opinion none! Trucks supports Clapton (roll on Hyde park in June), he's good but nuff said. Don't really listen to any new guys but guidance will be appreciated.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    +1
    +2
    Add Marc Ford
  • Options
    RyeGuyRyeGuy Posts: 215
    I know exactly what you mean about "the distortion in the riff." I hate how all these bands have that. Theres no creativity in that at all.
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense." Ed Ved

"No one cares about climbing stairs, Nothing at the top no more." Chris Cornell
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    +1
    I saw Davey Knowles in his home town when he was a wee whippersnapper and no one had heard of him, no older than 17 or 18. Even then I thought he was the best blues guitarist I ever saw. Puts Clapton to shame. I don't even like blues rock much.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    The guitar peaked in rock on January 1st 1970, at the Fillmore East, first show, second song. Everything after that was scalar wankledoodlage.
  • Options
    The guitar peaked in rock on January 1st 1970, at the Fillmore East, first show, second song. Everything after that was scalar wankledoodlage.
    So at least we agree that the peak of rock guitar was Jimi :)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    So at least we agree that the peak of rock guitar was Jimi :)

Yep. Let these midwestern hicks name these fretwanking nobodies over Lord James, and then run back to their Whiteboy Axe Hero XIV games. :D
  • Options
    Yep. Let these midwestern hicks name these fretwanking nobodies over Lord James, and then run back to their Whiteboy Axe Hero XIV games. :D
    It took ONE cursory glance at Jimi playing Voodoo Child at Woodstock to know that NO ONE will ever come close to that sort of talent on guitar, EVER. He had better moments but that was the one for me that sealed it.