considering getting into Incubus, so...

2»

Comments

• Bangers_n_mashBangers_n_mash Posts: 1,241
    All of their albums are brilliant and must-haves, except for Light Grenades, imo.. I could take or leave that one.
    Exactly! Except I think Light Grenades is awesome too.

Try any of them, you'll definitely like a few songs after the first couple of listens. then the more you listen, the more you'll get to know and love the rest....

I'd say Crow is a safe bet for sure. :)
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • BinFrog wrote:
    I am not saying louder is better. You are trying to call me out for having a difference of opinion.

I find S.c.i.e.n.c.e. to be a better album than anything that has followed it to date. I gave my reasons why I think it is a great album. The reasons themselves are not why I love it, the music is. I think it is near perfect, and I think a lot of factors are at the core of why they were able to make such a great disc. The factors themselves are not the music.

I don't 'call people out' just because they have a difference in opinion. I was merely debating with you. The reasons you gave for the album being better than the others were that it was loud, aggressive and experimental etc. and I'm merely saying that that does not make a 'better' album.

I really don't get the idea that 'the reasons themselves are not why I love it, the music is..' The reasons why you find this album to be the only one of this quality are about the music you find on it, and what that music sounds like.

Nevertheless, we'll agree to disagree. :)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • His lyrics have always had their cringe-worthy moments, but they seem to get worse in the later albums. i really dont like Incubus' lyrics, but the music is generally awesome.
  • MrSmith wrote:
    His lyrics have always had their cringe-worthy moments, but they seem to get worse in the later albums. i really dont like Incubus' lyrics, but the music is generally awesome.

I don't think you can fault many of the lyrics on Make Yourself, personally. :)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Every album is amazing in its own right. My personal favourites are Morning View and S.C.I.E.N.C.E.
  • If I hadn't made me, I would've been made somehow.
    If I hadn't assembled myself, I'd have fallen apart by now.
    If I hadn't made me, I'd be more inclined to bow.
    The powers that be would've swallowed me up, but that's more than I can allow.

If you let 'em make you, they'll make you paper mache.
    At a distance you're strong, until the wind comes, then you crumble and blow away.
    If you let 'em fuck you, there will be no foreplay.
    Rest assured, they'll screw you complete until your ass is blue and grey.

You should make amends with you,
    if only for better health!
    And if you really want to live,
    Why not try and MAKE YOURSELF? MAKE YOURSELF!

If I hadn't made me, I'd have fallen apart by now.
    I won't let 'em make me, it's more than I can allow.
    So if I make me, I won't be paper mache,
    And if I fuck me, I'll FUCK me in my own way!

I mean come on... those are the best motherfucking lyrics ever, surely.

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Mark, they're dire. And I like Incubus.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Mark, they're dire. And I like Incubus.

It's the fucking sentiment man... Jean Paul Sartre and hard rock... that's a fucking great mixer.

• Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Not a whole lot of people liked ACLOTM when it first came out... it was appreciated more on the tour, but was completely re-looked at right before Light Grenades came out... that's when everyone really started appreciating ACLOTM... I think, given more time, Light Grenades will be the same way... seriously, that album is just straight up amazing. And I think live, the songs from LG are even better... with that being said, I really like LG, probably just about equal with ACLOTM... but Make Yourself is my favorite.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • Just start from the beginning and work your way up.

Enjoy Incubus EP
    SCIENCE
    Make Yourself
    Morning View
    A Crow Left of the Murder
    Light Grenades
    Oh, and just a heads up... today was/is National Incubus Day.
  • maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    I like most of their albums, but SCIENCE & Make Yourself are my favorites!

They are a pretty good live band too.....
    My lips are shaking.......
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    luxpjamer wrote:
    ????? What are you talking about????????????? Sorry but Morning view isn't pop..it's Rock with beautiful melodies.
    I really like S.C.I.E.N.C.E and make yourself but I was totally blown away when Morning View came out. For me it's Incubus' best work!

i didn't specifically say they sounded like pop music. pop is just short for popular is it not? i think incubus had a more "successful" album with Morning View. it's what made them popular IMO.
    To be honest, I don't even see Incubus being popular anymore... at/after ACLOTM, no one really talked of them. It's actually kind of weird...
  • maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    Light Grenades had several songs that got a lot of radio play in the NYC area & I thought it was pretty popular. I really liked Anna Molly.
    My lips are shaking.......
  • MORNING VIEW

its one of the best albums from this decade!!!!!!!!!!1
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • walkthamilewalkthamile Posts: 349
    BinFrog wrote:

Agreed, all awesome performances and while I did say that S.C.I.E.N.C.E was inferior musically, I guess it has to do with taste, perhaps I came across a little arrogant with that statement but I do prefer their more classic rock sound from ACLOTM...To me I really think that they shed that "NU Metal" tag that I think was probably thrown on them with that record...and S.C.I.E.N.C.E, to me, was a representation of the music around at that time i.e heaps of distortion and 'effects'...Again it's whatever you are interested in.
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • BinFrog wrote:
    In my opinion, everything they did after S.c.i.e.n.c.e. pales in comparison. The 2 albums pre-Science are worth checking out too: "Fungus Amongus" (raw, no DJ), and the "Enjoy Incubus" EP.

I think S.c.i.e.n.c.e. is epic in every way. It's loud, aggressive, experimental, spacey, and over the top in every good way possible.

Well I've got basically every opinion imaginable, which is probably a good sign. I actually had access to Fungus Amongus, which I thought sucked, and I read about this one on Itunes and the review was pretty bad.

So, it looks like I pretty much can't go wrong; I'll start with the one that has "dig"
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    BinFrog wrote:
    In my opinion, everything they did after S.c.i.e.n.c.e. pales in comparison. The 2 albums pre-Science are worth checking out too: "Fungus Amongus" (raw, no DJ), and the "Enjoy Incubus" EP.

I think S.c.i.e.n.c.e. is epic in every way. It's loud, aggressive, experimental, spacey, and over the top in every good way possible.

i agree with everything said.

Make Yourself was ok for a bit...but songs got overplayed so fast to the point i didn't want to hear them anymore.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • luxpjamerluxpjamer Posts: 837
    lephty wrote:
    i didn't specifically say they sounded like pop music. pop is just short for popular is it not? i think incubus had a more "successful" album with Morning View. it's what made them popular IMO.

Because it was their best work :D why can't succesfull be great or brilliant. I have the impression that a lot of people don't like Morning view because it was good-selling.
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
  • how should I start. We like all the hits that get played on and radio. Should we pick up a cd? which one?

INCUBUS SUX......
    PEARL JAM~Lubbock, TX. 10~18~00
    PEARL JAM~San Antonio, TX. 4~5~03
    INCUBUS~Houston, TX. 1~19~07
    INCUBUS~Denver, CO. 2~8~07
    Lollapalooza~Chicago, IL. 8~5~07
    INCUBUS~Austin, TX. 9~3~07
    Bonnaroo~Manchester, TN 6~14~08
  • Bangers_n_mashBangers_n_mash Posts: 1,241
    INCUBUS SUX......
    Next time you see an Incubus thread, save yourself the bother of posting and just ignore it. Please.
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı